Poll

Who is most worthy to be the next Master of Earth?

Blacksmith
21 (43.8%)
dawn to dusk
11 (22.9%)
theelkspeaks
12 (25%)
None Worthy
4 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: May 02, 2017, 07:06:13 pm

*Author

Offline ZawadxTopic starter

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Zawadx brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Zawadx brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Zawadx brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Zawadx brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Zawadx brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Zawadx brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Zawadx brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Zawadx brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Zawadx brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Zawadx brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.
  • Officially Eisoptrophobic
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerCompetition - Won War as a Worthless WarriorWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeWar #8 Winner - Team FireBrawl #3 Winner - Divine LightSlice of Elements 5th Birthday Cake
11th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=64510.msg1263197#msg1263197
« on: April 27, 2017, 07:06:13 pm »
Phase 3 - Community Vote

It's time to vote for your favorite Master candidate!  Every community member may vote on as many of the candidates as he wishes. You can change your vote(s) at any time as long as there is still time on the clock.

Vote based on who you think would make the best Master of that element. Do not vote based on who is the best player or who you know personally. Try to pick someone who you think would help the community the most as THE representative for their element.  If you believe none of the Trialists should be Master, please select the "None Worthy" option. 

To help you make the best decision possible, feel free to ask the candidates questions.  Both challengers and defending Masters ought to answer the questions in this thread (and in the General questions thread) to help the voters make the best possible choice.  Please put all your answers in a single post (employing spoiler tags is recommended).  Also, challengers should include in that post a link to your Phase 1 submission post.

Questions and answers may begin now that this topic is posted.
Voting will begin when the polls are up at the official start of Phase 3.
Phase 3 ends when poll expires.
When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground.

Offline Blacksmith

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Blacksmith is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Blacksmith is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Blacksmith is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Blacksmith is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Blacksmith is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Blacksmith is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.
  • Happy to help!!
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday Cake11th Trials - Master of Earth10th Trials - Master of EarthWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner7th Trials - Master of EarthWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 3/2012 3rd PlaceWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: 11th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=64510.msg1263249#msg1263249
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 01:39:32 am »
Why on earth would you become a good master of earth ? again ?

I'm probably the player that knows :earth the best among the players that are still around. I have as a general of :earth lead it to the best position ever for :earth in war. If I become a Master I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to put :earth at top 3# or better. I know :earth, I love :earth and I always perform well when I play with :earth. I've played this game since 2010 and has been a part of the forum since 2012. During that time I have never been away from the forums and that won't change any time soon. I take huge pride in bearing the master title for :earth and hope to continue represent :earth :D

« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 01:51:36 am by Blacksmith »
Purple Hillbilly reporting, ready for teamwork and shiny times. 

Offline theelkspeaks

• Reputation Power: 35
  • theelkspeaks is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.theelkspeaks is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.theelkspeaks is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.theelkspeaks is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.theelkspeaks is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.theelkspeaks is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.theelkspeaks is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.
  • Brave Freedom is the Golden Ticket
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 2/2015 3rd Place9th Trials - Master of EarthSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeForum Brawl #4 WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSilver DonorBattle League 1/2014 3rd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeC-C-C Combomaker 3# Winner
Re: 11th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=64510.msg1263254#msg1263254
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 02:41:42 am »
Post Reserved for answering questions.
Spoiler for Kaempfer13:
@ all, but especially the ones who will face STANDIN: Can you build a team that you can lead to victory? I believe this will have the following aspects: Can you yourselves build good decks to beat your opponents? Can you predict and counter them with your element? Can you draft a Team that is a capable of doing that whenever you cant? Will you be able to inspire your teammates to do all in their power to fight for the win in every game? Can you infect others with your enthusiasm for your element (if you have any in the first place)? And most importantly: Will you put the necessary time investment in all those things?

I built a team once before, and I believe that I can do it again! While we were ultimately unable to take first place, I learned some valuable lessons about the initial vault-building process, and we managed to make the most of a situation where the chips were very much down.  I believe that I make a cooperative teammate who can't lead alone but has the ability to help with building strong group dynamics from a leadership position, and can help others be enthusiastic and successful.

Spoiler for DoubleCapitals:
@All: What does being a Master mean? What kind of traits will you exemplify as a Master?

Being a Master means being a player willing to represent your element as the public-facing face, being willing to help new players who wish to learn more about your element, and being diplomatic and understanding under nearly all circumstances.  I believe that I have the temperament and background to be a Master that can represent Earth in a positive light through both mentoring and through engaging with others in a non-hostile manner.

@All: Pick a character, real or fictional, to personify yourself. Justify your answer.

There are a number of fictional characters that I enjoy comparing myself to, but in the context of Trials, I'll go with Julian Delphiki (aka Bean) from the Ender's Game books.  He's a tactician who has some ability to focus on the larger scale strategies but is at his best when he's allowed to narrow in on small squadrons.  In a similar manner, while I have some ability to plan my course through a PVP Event such as Trials, PVP Championships, Sacrifice, or any of the other events I've played in, I'm at my best designing and playing decks for individual games and matches.  When I first became master, I used my bans in a manner that enabled me to leverage my upgrade advantage, and built decks to counter MegroN's best remaining plays, counting on the strength of my upgrades to cover me against any suboptimal plays, and this worked exactly as planned. In the PVP World Championships of 2014-15, I deliberately engaged in less mindgating than many of the other top players and focused on the tactics available to me based on the elements and upgrades.  Likewise, relative to other players on the forum, I place a greater emphasis on in-game tactics and game-planning, and less emphasis on mindgating. I win or lose on my ability to use my gameplans to their fullest potential.  Sometimes, you have to realign the way you think, and remember that the enemy's gate is down.

In terms of personality, Julian is patient but severe, and tries to take his time to think through what needs to be done, before acting in a complete manner.  I am (generally) a pretty even-tempered person, and a person who believes in planning things out carefully.  When I design events on the forum, I write up my rulesets and seek extensive feedback to iron out all possible problems, and then I prepare to host it.  While I can't compare to Julian's raw intellect, I at least do try to match his patience and his willingness to determine his best course of action before, rather than while, executing it.

@Trialists who have previously competed in a different element: A wise woman once asked for this specific category of people to tell them, so she knows who not to vote for. (Well, actually she asked if you're trialling for your favourite element, but eh, it's a similar category. While I might not be as drastic as her, loyalty is an important aspect of being a Master for me. Why should we see you as a representative as the element you have chosen, rather than any others, that you have trialled for prior?

I entered the trials of :light in my first Trial, because at that time, light was my preferred element.  I was still a fairly new player, especially to the forums, at that time, and there were things about light that drew me to it.  In my second Trial, I switched to my current favorite element, :earth.  I successfully became Master, and said that I would always defend a mastership that I held, because I believe that loyalty demands that of me.  I did in fact do so when playing in my third Trial, but was ultimately struck down by my former mentor and former master himself, Blacksmith.  While I believe that losing to Blacksmith in that Trial was an honorable result, and considered myself "allowed" to choose a new favorite if any other element struck my fancy, I decided that I was still the "Warden Guy", and that :earth was still where I belonged. Thus in my fourth overall trial, and my third consecutive Trial of Earth, I remain in my new element, and should I win the Mastership, will certainly remain in it for the next Trial as well.

Spoiler for Cleanonion:
Please take a photo of something you dislike.

Pending...

Spoiler for Zawadx:
Some great questions from before:

What does your element represent and mean to you outside of the gameplay? What has it done for you, and what would you do for it as a Master?

Earth represents resilience, tirelessness, and a willingness to stand up to opponents, both in life and in the game, without being pushed over.  Earth is strong and durable, Earth takes your punches and laughs them in the face, Earth doesn't need to punch back, it just sits there and wins whenever it isn't dead, which is always.  Earth represents to me what I consider my greatest trait in life, the ability to choose to not be bothered by things and the ability to endure through adversity.  In a gameplay and forum sense, what I can do for Earth is to lead it to further success on the forums and help it regain the respect that it deserves to have (outside of grabbows, which seems to be the only context half the players respect it in).

@All : Analyse your performance in trials so far (both phases) in a critical manner. Where did you go right? Where did you go wrong? What would you change if you could? You have 4 hours. (if someone wants me to answer this, pm)

My phase 1 was fairly decent, the only complaint I have about it was that I had hoped for a 3 with the story I wrote, but came up slightly short and ended up with a 2.

As for my phase 2, everything that could go wrong, did. I played decks that should have been competitive in each of my matches, but was generally extremely unsuccessful in getting the results that I needed. While all of my matches were against strong competitors, I still think that I could have performed better than I did.  While I think that I was slightly unlucky to get the results that I did, I also think that I was outplayed in the deckbuilding and underestimated the value of shards in several of my games.  I think that given my deckbuilding as compared to my opponents, I probably had win equity of somewhere in the vicinity of 5-6 wins across the four Bo5s, rather than the 2 that I got, but a player who built more accurate decks to the metagame could have come away with ~7-8 wins worth of equity.  Although I was slightly unlucky, I was also outplayed, and the two together resulted in a truly dreadful round.

Also, if you were made a Trials Overseer this trials, what would you have done differently?

On that note, do you wish to ever become Trials Overseer?

If I were Trials overseer, I would have changed almost nothing this Trials - I actually think it's the best designed Trials we've ever had.  The only thing I would have done differently is tried to get the Phase 1 scores updated more quickly - though I most certainly know how hard it can be to get anything out quickly when working as a multi-member committee.  I don't see myself ever being a Trials Overseer, as I think my event planning skills are better utilized in developing new PVP events to run than in running well-established events, though I could certainly be willing if there were a need and if I had the right amount of availability at that time.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 04:48:26 pm by theelkspeaks »
Brawl 3 - Team Whispers in the  :darkness, War 8 - :air, 9th Master - :earth, War 9 - :earth, War 10 - :fire
Mafia Record: Town 3-4, Mafia 2-1
Brawl 4 - Red Stars (:fire)
My EtG Videos!

Offline dawn to dusk

• Master of Light
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • dawn to dusk brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.dawn to dusk brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.dawn to dusk brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.dawn to dusk brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.dawn to dusk brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.dawn to dusk brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.dawn to dusk brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.dawn to dusk brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.dawn to dusk brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.dawn to dusk brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.
  • Awards: 14th Trials - Master of LightSlice of Elements 11th Birthday Cake13th Trials - Master of LightWar #12 - Sportsmanship AwardSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeCard Design Competition - The Fool Winner12th Trials - Master of LightDeckbuilding Competition - Elelections WinnerSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Design July 2015 - Bronze9th Trials - Master of LifeWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeWar #8 - Sportsmanship Award8th Trials - Master of LifeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday Cake
Re: 11th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=64510.msg1263269#msg1263269
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 09:26:42 am »
Questions go here

Offline theelkspeaks

• Reputation Power: 35
  • theelkspeaks is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.theelkspeaks is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.theelkspeaks is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.theelkspeaks is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.theelkspeaks is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.theelkspeaks is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.theelkspeaks is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.
  • Brave Freedom is the Golden Ticket
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 2/2015 3rd Place9th Trials - Master of EarthSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeForum Brawl #4 WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSilver DonorBattle League 1/2014 3rd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeC-C-C Combomaker 3# Winner
Re: 11th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=64510.msg1263281#msg1263281
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 04:49:29 pm »
All questions to date have been answered (except for one that is pending an external action).  Hit me up with more!
Brawl 3 - Team Whispers in the  :darkness, War 8 - :air, 9th Master - :earth, War 9 - :earth, War 10 - :fire
Mafia Record: Town 3-4, Mafia 2-1
Brawl 4 - Red Stars (:fire)
My EtG Videos!

Offline Zyardran

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 47
  • Zyardran is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Zyardran is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Zyardran is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Zyardran is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Zyardran is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Zyardran is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Zyardran is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Zyardran is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Zyardran is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.
  • Not too close, I'll burn you
  • Awards: No Cheese II Tourney Most Creative DeckWeekly Tournament Winner (2020.09.20.)Slice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeBrawl #7 Winner - Green NightSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeChampionship League 3/2016 3rd PlaceSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeTeam Competition - The Spy Who EMed MeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday Cake
Re: 11th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=64510.msg1263282#msg1263282
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 04:53:00 pm »
Remark the art of one earth card of your choice! :D
Team :entropy War #14
The :light of my :fire guides the way...
Current profile picture

Offline ValerianFlame

• Reputation Power: 6
  • ValerianFlame is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Your #1 source of Necrosis.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 8th Birthday Cake
Re: 11th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=64510.msg1263311#msg1263311
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 03:47:50 am »
Draw a picture or find a picture on the internet about what you think earth is like. You could do things such as mines, representations of cards or decks, or just an earth paradise.
I always liked fire. It "warmed up" to me. :fire
Brawl #6: Pyrocloaks.
┴o dɹoʌǝ ʞnɹo ʍǝ ɐɹǝ ɐll pndlᴉɔɐʇǝs' I sɥɐll ʍɹᴉʇǝ ʇɥǝ sɐɯǝ ʇɥᴉuƃ ʍᴉʇɥ ɯnlʇᴉdlǝ ɐɔɔonuʇs˙ (Ɔodʎ dɐsʇǝ ʇɥᴉs ɯǝssɐƃǝ)
No longer active in blab. Contact me through Elements Discord.

Offline worldwideweb3

• Master of Air
  • Reputation Power: 63
  • worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 12th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner (2021.01.03.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.11.22.)14th Trials - Master of AirWeekly Tournament Winner (2020.06.28.)Weekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner (2020.05.03.)Elements League 3/2019 2nd PlaceSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeElements League 3/2018 1st PlaceWinner of Team PvP #812th Trials - Master of AetherElements: Academy WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerElements League 2/2017 3rd PlaceWinner of Draft #4 - PvP Event11th Trials - Master of FireBattle League 1/2017 1st PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League and Championship League 3/2016 1st PlaceChampionship League 2/2016 1st Place10th Trials - Master of GravityChampionship League 1/2016 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 3/2015 3rd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 1/2015 1st PlaceWar #8 Winner - Team FireBattle League 2/2014 2nd Place
Re: 11th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=64510.msg1263445#msg1263445
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 10:32:03 pm »
@All Will you general, if you win mastership? If so, can you promise activity during war period?
First player to become master of 3 different elements.
WC 2016 - #2. WC 2015 - #3 Devil's gate, Trinity, War #10, 12 lives - #2.
Avvy by rob77dp
Rightful winner of war #14 - Team Air

blarg: