Poll

Who is most worthy to be the next Master of Darkness?

TheonlyrealBeef
19 (73.1%)
MyNameIsJoey
7 (26.9%)
None Worthy
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: October 30, 2019, 12:49:23 am

*Author

Offline serprexTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • serprex hides under a Cloak.
  • Awards: War #12 Winner - Team Darkness
13th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=67462.msg1294276#msg1294276
« on: October 23, 2019, 12:49:23 am »
Phase 3 - Community Vote

It's time to vote for your favorite Master candidate!  Every community member may vote on only one candidate. You can change your vote(s) at any time as long as there is still time on the clock.

Vote based on who you think would make the best Master of that element. Do not vote based on who is the best player or who you know personally. Try to pick someone who you think would help the community the most as THE representative for their element.  If you believe none of the Trialists should be Master, please select the "None Worthy" option. 

To help you make the best decision possible, feel free to ask the candidates questions.  Both challengers and defending Masters ought to answer the questions in this thread (and in the General questions thread) to help the voters make the best possible choice.  Please put all your answers in a single post (employing spoiler tags is recommended).  Also, challengers should include in that post a link to your Phase 1 submission post.

Questions and answers may begin now that this topic is posted.
Voting will begin when the polls are up at the official start of Phase 3.
Phase 3 ends when poll expires.

Offline TheonlyrealBeef

• Master of Darkness
  • Reputation Power: 61
  • TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!
  • Do not underestimate the power of the dark side!
  • Awards: War #14 Winner - Team Aether14th Trials - Master of Darkness2019 - PvP World ChampionSlice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeWar #13 Winner - Team Darkness13th Trials - Master of DarknessWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner4th Grandmaster Battle Winner - DarknessGold DonorSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWar #12 Winner - Team DarknessWeekly Tournament Winner12th Trials - Master of DarknessWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 9th Birthday Cake2017 - PvP World ChampionWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 3/2016 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeTeam PvP #4 Winner5th Trials - Master of Darkness4th Trials - Master of Darkness3rd Trials - Master of DarknessWeekly Tournament WinnerMS Paint Card Art #2 Winner
Re: 13th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=67462.msg1294293#msg1294293
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 04:35:48 am »
At this point, I do not really think an introduction is in order, but here I am. TheonlyrealBeef, current master of Darkness and Grandmaster. If that by themselves is not enough to prove me worthy, I do not think anything else I have to say would do. Still, I will answer questions asked, regardless. Because it is rather impolite to not respond to questions directed at me, yes?

As a retrospect on war, I was only second in activity, by a rather wide margin. Mostly just being a tyrant on which decks I found unacceptable. If nothing else, at least the (blind) auction went pretty good! But that does not really have much to do with Darkness, I guess.

Previous phase 3 questions and answers:
Some viewpoints may have changed significantly since especially the older trials, though. It's been like 8 years and the lone tournament trophy I had for the first three trials has gained some company. So feel free to restate any questions you are interested in, even if they were answered during one of them olden trials.

Spoiler for questions and answers:
Spoiler for shockcannon:
Explain why you are more noob than your opposing trialists. If you convince me more than the others, I may give you pity vote for being so noob.
Not applicable.
Spoiler for DoubleCapitals:
To everyone who isn't playing STANDINs, who would you have liked to trial against?
A Darkness enthusiast that can actually beat me in trials final battle. There's not a lot of active Darkness enthusiasts, from the looks of it, so Joey is the best I can ask for.

To everyone who isn't playing in their favourite element/have ever trialed in a different element, why should I pick you over someone who loves the element more?
Does having trialed for Aether once count as having ever trialed for a different element? I still win in the Darkness trials/other elements' trials ratio compared to Joey, though :silly:
Spoiler for TheonlyrealBeef:
I guess I might as well answer my own questions as well.
Is the element you have trialed for your favorite?
Yes.
If not, why have you chosen to trial for this particular element over your favorite?
Not applicable.
What does the element you trial for represent to you?
Deception and using your opponents' power against them. Absorbing them, draining them devoid of energy. In some contexts Darkness tends to represent hatred, too. Dark side of the force and stuff. But I do not really associate the Elements the Game Darkness with that. In EtG, I mainly see it as the element that specializes in complete denial.
What does being a Master mean to you?
A respected pvp veteran whom lives by their element, ideally. I do not really care about non-pvp aspects, but having your personality match an aspect of your element is what differentiates memorable Masters for me.
What qualities do you expect from a Master, and do you aspire to live up to?
The answer to the previous question has pretty much already answered this, though to add to that: acting respectfully towards others is important to me, too. Acting high and mighty is the worst thing you can do. Thinking oneself some kind of hotshot because one imagines oneself being good at some insignificant card game? How pathetic.
As for the living up to part: just no. I am me, that's all there is to it. Darkness just happens to suit me in my current state of mind.
Spoiler for Submachine:
I see multiple Trials where I think all 2-3 participants are worthy. I wonder if there is a better way to express "both worthy" than not voting. This is not really a question, but feel free to respond.
The question is most worthy. It does not mean the other participant(s) is/are not worthy, just that the person you voted for was most worthy. Ties are just signs of indecisiveness.
Spoiler for iancudorinmarian:
Question for everyone: Why?
Because I feel like it. That's the only reason I need.
Spoiler for Ginyu:
Do you plan to participate in War and/or Brawl if you have the time?
If I have time... sure for War. Will I have time? Who knows... Brawl seems irrelevant with it being discontinued last time. Not motivated to make time for Brawl, regardless.
Do you consider being a Master to be mostly PvP-related, or should they also represent their element in competitions?
This seems to align with my own question somewhat, but I'm mostly just focusing on PvP stuff nowadays. It's not that I do not enjoy the other aspects at all, it's just that I can no longer be bothered to make time for them. I am not one to take half measures, so I would either go all out or ignore it altogether. I think my supposedly casual previous war proved as much...
Spoiler for dawn to dusk:
What is the sleeper card in your element

Sleeper meaning unpopular card that you think is strong
Cloak is probably the best fit for this. It is not a staple in any deck, nor is it central for any strategy. But it is a perfect sideboard kind of card that can turn matchups around while using only one or two copies (two to four in deck to ensure drawing them when you need them, probably).

So even though it will never see a lot of use, it can still be a powerful card. Just situational. Far less situational than something like Flooding, however.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 08:43:11 pm by TheonlyrealBeef »

Offline MyNameIsJoey

• Chat Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • MyNameIsJoey soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.MyNameIsJoey soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.MyNameIsJoey soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.MyNameIsJoey soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.MyNameIsJoey soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.MyNameIsJoey soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.MyNameIsJoey soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.MyNameIsJoey soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.
  • I walk alone
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament Winner 11.08.18Weekly Tournament Winner 09.06.18Weekly Tournament Winner 26.05.18Brawl #7 Winner - Green NightSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeBrawl #1 Winner - Team Nyan SharksWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: 13th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=67462.msg1294313#msg1294313
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 06:59:18 pm »
hi
i only joined trials to give a challenge to torb who otherwise was left without a challenger
plz gimme ups so i can at least take a game off him.

@DC who would i like to trials against : torb. otherwise i wouldnt hav ejoined.

I have trialed in death twice. Once because i was kicked out of darkness. I still have made more trials for darkness than many have made trials at all.

@All the classics
believe ive answered all of those about half a dozen times.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 05:51:41 am by MyNameIsJoey »
follow me at twitch.tv/mynameisjoey

Offline TheonlyrealBeef

• Master of Darkness
  • Reputation Power: 61
  • TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!
  • Do not underestimate the power of the dark side!
  • Awards: War #14 Winner - Team Aether14th Trials - Master of Darkness2019 - PvP World ChampionSlice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeWar #13 Winner - Team Darkness13th Trials - Master of DarknessWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner4th Grandmaster Battle Winner - DarknessGold DonorSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWar #12 Winner - Team DarknessWeekly Tournament Winner12th Trials - Master of DarknessWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 9th Birthday Cake2017 - PvP World ChampionWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 3/2016 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeTeam PvP #4 Winner5th Trials - Master of Darkness4th Trials - Master of Darkness3rd Trials - Master of DarknessWeekly Tournament WinnerMS Paint Card Art #2 Winner
Re: 13th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=67462.msg1294424#msg1294424
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 03:22:01 am »
Thanks all for the votes, and best of luck Joey in the finals!

anything
blarg: TheonlyrealBeef