Poll

Who is most worthy to be the next Master of Darkness?

TheonlyrealBeef
28 (80%)
CactusKing
7 (20%)
None Worthy
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: August 14, 2018, 12:01:57 am

*Author

Offline worldwideweb3Topic starter

• Master of Air
  • Reputation Power: 63
  • worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 12th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner (2021.01.03.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.11.22.)14th Trials - Master of AirWeekly Tournament Winner (2020.06.28.)Weekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner (2020.05.03.)Elements League 3/2019 2nd PlaceSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeElements League 3/2018 1st PlaceWinner of Team PvP #812th Trials - Master of AetherElements: Academy WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerElements League 2/2017 3rd PlaceWinner of Draft #4 - PvP Event11th Trials - Master of FireBattle League 1/2017 1st PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League and Championship League 3/2016 1st PlaceChampionship League 2/2016 1st Place10th Trials - Master of GravityChampionship League 1/2016 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 3/2015 3rd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 1/2015 1st PlaceWar #8 Winner - Team FireBattle League 2/2014 2nd Place
12th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66239.msg1278642#msg1278642
« on: August 06, 2018, 11:42:30 pm »
Phase 3 - Community Vote

It's time to vote for your favorite Master candidate!  Every community member may vote on only one candidate. You can change your vote(s) at any time as long as there is still time on the clock.

Vote based on who you think would make the best Master of that element. Do not vote based on who is the best player or who you know personally. Try to pick someone who you think would help the community the most as THE representative for their element.  If you believe none of the Trialists should be Master, please select the "None Worthy" option. 

To help you make the best decision possible, feel free to ask the candidates questions.  Both challengers and defending Masters ought to answer the questions in this thread (and in the General questions thread) to help the voters make the best possible choice.  Please put all your answers in a single post (employing spoiler tags is recommended).  Also, challengers should include in that post a link to your Phase 1 submission post.

Questions and answers may begin now that this topic is posted.
Voting will begin when the polls are up at the official start of Phase 3.
Phase 3 ends when poll expires.
First player to become master of 3 different elements.
WC 2016 - #2. WC 2015 - #3 Devil's gate, Trinity, War #10, 12 lives - #2.
Avvy by rob77dp
Rightful winner of war #14 - Team Air

Offline TheonlyrealBeef

• Master of Darkness
  • Reputation Power: 61
  • TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!
  • Do not underestimate the power of the dark side!
  • Awards: War #14 Winner - Team Aether14th Trials - Master of Darkness2019 - PvP World ChampionSlice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeWar #13 Winner - Team Darkness13th Trials - Master of DarknessWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner4th Grandmaster Battle Winner - DarknessGold DonorSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWar #12 Winner - Team DarknessWeekly Tournament Winner12th Trials - Master of DarknessWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 9th Birthday Cake2017 - PvP World ChampionWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 3/2016 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeTeam PvP #4 Winner5th Trials - Master of Darkness4th Trials - Master of Darkness3rd Trials - Master of DarknessWeekly Tournament WinnerMS Paint Card Art #2 Winner
Re: 12th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66239.msg1278643#msg1278643
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 11:42:49 pm »
Well, here I am again, back in the Darkness trials. Last time I was Darkness Master, Trials were almost the only PvP Events I won. Things are certainly different now, in many ways...
All questions will be answered in this post only, I dislike having them spread across multiple posts. Most questions should be answered within about 24 hours. First, let's go over the basics with a summary of this trials and previous trials, followed by a brief summary of myself and Darkness:
All the personal information on my account is in fact accurate, if you are curious about that sort of stuff, and Darkness has always been and remained my favorite element. Of course, just restricting yourself to Darkness all the time only limits yourself, even in what you can do with Darkness. Hence, in the last few years, I have tried out decks from any element.

For my phase 2 performance, I am not dissatisfied. It was nothing spectacular, but when you look at what decks lost and how often I use those decks, well... Relying on Shard of Void for that many decks was a mistake, one I will not repeat in war now. I just felt like making some stally decks given my upgrades... but nope. Do not integrate Shard of Void into that.

Now, there are three frequently asked questions just about every single trials, so might as well get them over and done with before someone even needs to bother asking them:
  • What makes you think you are the best Master candidate?
    Honestly, I mainly joined because I saw Physsion was becoming even less active than I was. I mean, come on, what is up with the Grandmaster battle never having taken place when you need to defend your title? At least by taking away this title, the Grandmaster title can finally be passed on again.
    But as for me versus CactusKing: he appears to be more active, but during times I am usually asleep. He also has more going for Darkness than just PvP, but is not particularly bad at that, either. Still, when it comes down to PvP, I think I have an advantage, as displayed in Phase 2 as well. But only the final battle will tell.
  • Will you general Darkness next war?
    Probably. Best thing for me about being a general, is that I suddenly turn from most to least expensive player in war. Really good for the vault. My activity will be lacking, however, and I have yet to see what will happen to war with a shrinking number of participants. I do not even exclude the possibility of becoming Warmaster. Time will tell.
  • Why do you like Darkness?
    Well, if you read the past Trials posts I joined up in, you should get a pretty clear idea. It is the unknown, it is feared, mysterious and cunning. It judges none and welcomes all. Only when I am alone in the Darkness do I truly feel myself, unrestrained by the shackles of social expectations. We are influenced by everything around us, the colors, the sounds, the people... it changes how we act, how we are. But in the cold void of Darkness, there is only you.

And now, the answers to the questions you have all been waiting for.
Spoiler for questions:
What is your definition of Leadership
The ability to inspire others to reach their true potential. A potential usually unbeknownst to the people themselves, locked within, just waiting to be uncovered.

For everyone that Trials for their favourite element:
  • If you end up not becoming a Master for your favourite element, will you consider an approach from WMs to General your second-fave/third-fave/what-have-you element? (Quite unlikely, but hey :silly:)
    For the sake of argument, assume that you are not a WM yourself, just in case you're thinking 'I'm a WM, there's no way the WMs will approach me to Gen'.
Yes, I volunteered for General last war, too. I'm not particularly hyped about it, but if an element needs a general, what the hell? I'll help out. Does not matter to me on what ranking that element is for me, just means a new challenge for me to overcome.

Will you participate in the next Brawl under the flag of your trialing element?
That would require me to participate in Brawl. I have no fond memories of Brawl, so I'll just keep my frustrations to myself and let the people whom enjoy it, enjoy it. Without me.

1. Which element do you consider the anti-you?  Which ones rubs you the wrong way or resonates least with you personally?  Please help us understand why this is the case.
People might expect me to answer Light here, but the self-righteous arrogance I associate with Light, is also a part of myself. A part I would rather suppress, but a part of me nevertheless. Entropy fits me least, it's so chaotic and random. Action with a purpose: if I am uncertain of the effect of my actions, I often choose inaction. Not to leap into something without knowing the consequences of your actions.

2.  Name two previous/current masters (you can include yourself if you wish) who you respect and have been excellent trialists, generals, and representatives of their element.  What traits do these two individuals share?  How are they different?
Well, back from a time I was more active, still Master of Darkness, and other Masters seemed more daunting... there were Aether Master Higurashi and Entropy Master Zeru. They could both be rather obstinate, probably even more so than me. Every argument with either of them felt lost the moment it started, simply because you could never win. Main difference being that Higurashi would be vocally favoring Aether, while I do not even remember Zeru's connection to Entropy... just that he was a solid pvp-er all around.

3.  This question is for anyone that has been a Master before.  Which is more psychologically challenging: winning the first Mastership or defending the Mastership?
Winning the first one. Defending got so boring and uninteresting, I simply quit outright, since losing while I put up an actual effort seemed unlikely.

Pose any trialist a targeted question (ie. specific to them). You may link it if you have already done so.
This seems less like a question and more of a command. I shall not ask questions lest I care enough to listen to the answer, hence asking one solely because you ask me to is unacceptable.

Everybody (should) know each Element has its own trait, its strenght and weakness. Being a Master means to know them perfectly.

Said that, explain what's the strenght and weakness of your Element, and, if you had the chance to add just one card (creature, spell, PC, CC, etc...) to your Element, what would it be and why?

Thanks.
Darkness' strength is to utterly dominate the opponent, take away their permanents, their quanta and heal back what little damage they can muster through Vampiric healing. Darkness' weakness is to be overwhelmed by either sheer speed or numbers.

To add one card, it would be something to increase the speed of Darkness decks. Something akin to Immolation, perhaps targeting a pillar to gain an instant quanta boost. With such a card Darkness would be able to match the speed of the faster elements, while simultaneously being able to outrush swarm decks before their numbers grow out of control.

@both

If you have played Pajama Sam: No Need To Hide When It's Dark Outside, do you agree with how darkness is portrayed in that game? Explain.

If you have not played the aforementioned game, what would you rate Dusk Mantle on a scale of 1-10 and why? 1 being you hate dusk mantle because it is the most OP card in the game and 10 being you have embraced darkness so well that it has consumed your soul and now you find pleasure in torturing other players with the raw power of its 100% blocking rate. I will know if you lie to me.
Never heard of it.

I give Dusk Mantle an 8. It can only block so much when you continue to push your luck. But the opponents' reactions when almost everything misses for a turn... ah, gets me every time.

Any opinions on Simon Belmont's addition to Smash Ultimate? How will you protect your vampires/bats?
Another reference that is lost on me. If that is the latest Smash something from Nintendo: I haven't played or followed up on any of those since I ditched my Nintendo collection for a laptop when I turned 18, almost 10 years ago. Though why would you bother protecting your bats? Can't you just summon new ones or something?

Forwarded from Zyar over on Discord:

"What are you plans if you become master?"
If you really cared for the answer, is it too much trouble to ask your own question...? :silly:

Still, I already represent Darkness. Becoming a Master does not change who I am or how I represent my favorite element. I mainly see the title as an acknowledgement of its active representation. Being general for your element in War is an important part of that, of course. If nothing else, becoming Master will ensure that when I join war, it will be for team Darkness.

On a slightly different note: that last sentence is part of the reason for me not to trial Darkness even once in the past six trials.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 03:52:07 pm by TheonlyrealBeef »

Offline CactusKing

• Reputation Power: 11
  • CactusKing is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.CactusKing is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • I eat shriekers for breakfast
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeElements League 1/2018 2nd PlaceCard Design Competition - Rule BenderSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 8th Birthday Cake
Re: 12th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66239.msg1278691#msg1278691
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 08:04:57 am »
Darkness Trialist CactusKing, ready for interrogation! Do your worst!

Here's my Phase One Submission.

I'll start with the obvious;
Darkness is and always has been my favourite element. I enjoy it because of the unique playstyle, the ability to use the opponent's good luck against them with cards like nightmare, devourer and steal.
Yes, I'd be happy to general team Darkness, and maybe even lead us in Brawl if elemental affinities are something they want to bring back.
Why vote for me over the world champion and three-time master? Let's leave PvP out of the vote, that's what the final battle is for. I intend to bring about change in War for Darkness - to play it differently, breath new life into old tactics. My consistently high activity in this community means I know who the rising stars are, and will build a team based on player's potential. We've all seen what TheonlyrealBeef can do as general, and unfortunately it wasn't enough for a podium finish. Yes, it's been a long time since then, and it could be blamed on any of the rules from the time, but that's our only indicator as far as War goes.

Now for some highlights from my interrogation...
What is your definition of Leadership
Leadership is about recognising the strengths of your team, and playing to them. A leader shouldn't play the perceived 'best' strategy if your team can't execute it as well as an off-meta alternative. This mindset builds trust between you and your team, you know they'll do their best if you let them play to their strengths. It can also give you the element of surprise, something I'm quite fond of as a darkness player.

Which element do you consider the anti-you?  Which ones rubs you the wrong way or resonates least with you personally?  Please help us understand why this is the case.
This would have to be gravity. To me, it represents clunkiness, and being too big to support itself. I've never been good at building gravity decks, and it makes for arguably the worst darkness duo in the game. Darkness is about subtlety and calculation. Gravity is about kicking the door down and charging head-first at your opponent. They don't mix.

Name two previous/current masters (you can include yourself if you wish) who you respect and have been excellent trialists, generals, and representatives of their element.  What traits do these two individuals share?  How are they different?
I'd be a jerk not to include Physsion here. Over the course of War he trained me from the failure I was in the last trials into someone capable of reinventing the way darkness is played. It's a shame he isn't defending, but real life comes first. Odii Odsen was also a great help in Team Darkness but we didn't get to chat as much due to time zones. He has this way of just... winning everything; which I learned mostly comes from predictions. Playing with them helped me strike a balance between aggression and patience, which is an absolute necessity to use darkness effectively.

Everybody (should) know each Element has its own trait, its strenght and weakness. Being a Master means to know them perfectly.

Said that, explain what's the strenght and weakness of your Element, and, if you had the chance to add just one card (creature, spell, PC, CC, etc...) to your Element, what would it be and why?

Thanks.
I'll skip the usual speech about being a ninja. The power of darkness is in overwhelming your opponent slowly. A player adept at darkness can swing the tide of battle without the opponent even realizing. They think that big yellow indicator on your health bar means you're being rushed down, overlooking the fact that their own maximum hp is being lowered, and the darkness player's shield and dagger keep them far from death. Or maybe you use pests to keep their abilities at a minimum, and although you aren't doing much damage either, your quanta is building up and you have six Drain Lifes in hand. This unique, yet highly varied playstyle is what makes darkness such a good element, despite it being so different to the others. That said, there are definitely things darkness could do better, and if I were to add just one new card it's a tough choice between a mass-CC spell (think dry spell but it sucks HP) or a nice cheap creature with high damage, something like giant frog but edgier.
Since adding another mass CC card would be bad for our poor cloaks, I'm going with a new lowrange attacker card.

For everyone that Trials for their favourite element:
  • If you end up not becoming a Master for your favourite element, will you consider an approach from WMs to General your second-fave/third-fave/what-have-you element? (Quite unlikely, but hey :silly:)
    For the sake of argument, assume that you are not a WM yourself, just in case you're thinking 'I'm a WM, there's no way the WMs will approach me to Gen'.
My second-fave/third-fave/what-have-you elements to general are highly competitive for a spot on the team (the likes of aether, air, fire would be preferred, but earth or entropy could be interesting too), so as you say this is unlikely. If the WMs think I'm the guy for the job, I'd be glad to take it on.

@both

If you have played Pajama Sam: No Need To Hide When It's Dark Outside, do you agree with how darkness is portrayed in that game? Explain.

If you have not played the aforementioned game, what would you rate Dusk Mantle on a scale of 1-10 and why? 1 being you hate dusk mantle because it is the most OP card in the game and 10 being you have embraced darkness so well that it has consumed your soul and now you find pleasure in torturing other players with the raw power of its 100% blocking rate. I will know if you lie to me.
I haven't played it before.
To be honest, Dusk Shield isn't much better than fog, and the extra cost hardly seems worthwhile to me (unless quanta restrictions make dusk mantle preferable). Like many strategies, it seems much less OP when you actually play with it compared to when it first beats you. Darkness isn't exactly spoilt for choice when it comes to defences (at least, in-element), so it definitely has its uses. But is it OP? Certainly not as much as fog. 6/10

Any opinions on Simon Belmont's addition to Smash Ultimate? How will you protect your vampires/bats?
I haven't played smash with any real effort since Brawl, can't stand the new controls tbh. Unlikely I'll be playing smash ultimate, and I haven't played Castlevania at all ever. (did try to play Mirror of Fate when it came out but it wouldn't run on my ds for some reason, and Belmont isn't even in that one iirc). So I really don't have an opinion on this, sorry.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 01:42:55 pm by CactusKing »
I spilt my blood against the :earth
         Just to see the world in colour.

Offline shockcannon

• Master of Fire
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • shockcannon is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.shockcannon is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.shockcannon is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • Young Elemental
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 13th Birthday Cake14th Trials - Master of FireSlice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner13th Trials - Master of FireWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: 12th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66239.msg1278754#msg1278754
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 06:03:40 am »
@both

You are what you eat from your head to your feet

Offline InsignificantWeeaboo

• Newsletter Writer
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • InsignificantWeeaboo is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.InsignificantWeeaboo is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.InsignificantWeeaboo is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • Ah, I see you're a man of culture as well.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWriting Competition: Draw Seven WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerCard Design Competition - The Oracle's New Year's Party WinnerWriting Competition: Haphazard Heroics WinnerDeckbuilding Competition - The Mastery Gauntlet WinnerWriting Competition: H.E.A.T. WinnerSlice of Elements 9th Birthday Cake
Re: 12th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66239.msg1278817#msg1278817
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 11:22:02 pm »
O-oooooooooo AAAAE-A-A-I-A-U-JO-oooooooooooo AAE-O-A-A-U-U-A-E-eee-ee-eee AAAAE-A-E-I-E-A-JO-ooo-oo-oo-oo EEEEO-A-AAA-AAAA
Team :gravity Gen. (War #12)
Team :gravity Soldier (War #13)
Team :light Soldier (War #14)

Offline TheonlyrealBeef

• Master of Darkness
  • Reputation Power: 61
  • TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!
  • Do not underestimate the power of the dark side!
  • Awards: War #14 Winner - Team Aether14th Trials - Master of Darkness2019 - PvP World ChampionSlice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeWar #13 Winner - Team Darkness13th Trials - Master of DarknessWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner4th Grandmaster Battle Winner - DarknessGold DonorSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWar #12 Winner - Team DarknessWeekly Tournament Winner12th Trials - Master of DarknessWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 9th Birthday Cake2017 - PvP World ChampionWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 3/2016 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeTeam PvP #4 Winner5th Trials - Master of Darkness4th Trials - Master of Darkness3rd Trials - Master of DarknessWeekly Tournament WinnerMS Paint Card Art #2 Winner
Re: 12th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66239.msg1279032#msg1279032
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 03:13:07 am »
Thanks for the votes!

Now to see if this old member can still muster some new tricks :silly:

Offline CactusKing

• Reputation Power: 11
  • CactusKing is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.CactusKing is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • I eat shriekers for breakfast
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeElements League 1/2018 2nd PlaceCard Design Competition - Rule BenderSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 8th Birthday Cake
Re: 12th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66239.msg1279045#msg1279045
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 07:22:40 am »
Hey, if you factor out the electoral college and how much certain peoples' votes are worth, I probably won :D
I spilt my blood against the :earth
         Just to see the world in colour.

anything
blarg: