*Author

Offline ddevans96

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 113
  • ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • now palafrost
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSilver Donor9th Trials - Master of WaterSlice of Elements 6th Birthday Cake8th Trials - Master of WaterSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeWinner of the Harry Potter PvP House CupSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: 4th Trials - Phase 1 - Proving of Worthiness https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29093.msg371883#msg371883
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2011, 08:01:02 pm »
Wow not being able to take screenshots is seriously gonna screw me up for Task 1
Download a snipping program.
discord / twitter: palafrost - 2x master of water - false god enthusiast
twitch: palafrost - speedrunner, ex-celeste, currently hades
avatar: makoto [persona 5] by asukabaka

Re: 4th Trials - Phase 1 - Proving of Worthiness https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29093.msg372068#msg372068
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2011, 03:27:34 am »
I disagree on principle with Task I.  A Master's (and therefore a General's) duties are to support the community and help their team prevail in War.  I don't see Task I being representative of either... which wouldn't be a problem if it weren't very prone to RNG problems.  Because of the advantages afforded Arena decks, this is the equivalent of asking us to defeat six consecutive False Gods with the same deck three times - using a decktype that is uncommon or original - and due to the rock/paper/scissors nature of this game and blind matchups, winning six times in a row against the odds is quite a feat, but not one that represents Master-like skill.  I rarely go six-in-a-row with my FG rainbow, mono-Aether, or RoL/Hope, but that's not a good indication of my skill or even my deckbuilding prowess.

Last Trials, we had to form decks and then grind with them against AI5 in order to provide statistics, which would be helpful to the community, in particular newbies - in many cases it provided the community with a new deck and statistics to show it's one that you can thrive with.  This Trials, we're just supposed to show that our decks can go the six-in-a-row at least once in a week?  That's not helpful to the community, and since it's a bit of a shot in the dark, don't be surprised if half the challengers bow out at the end of the week due to not having gotten lucky in the Arena.  Why not have us collect statistics again?  We could give TTW on specific Arena tiers, or even average-rings-before-a-loss.

I'll do it, I signed up and I intend to follow through... but I'm curious to know why this task in particular was chosen.  It seems almost arbitrary.

Offline kevTopic starter

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 54
  • kev brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.kev brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.kev brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.kev brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.kev brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.kev brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.kev brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.kev brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.kev brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.kev brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.
  • Ungrounded
  • Awards: Winner of Team PvP #5Master of Multipliers - Scorgasm WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeChampionship League 1/2010 3rd PlaceWeekly Tournament Winner2nd Trials - Master of FireFavorite Staff Member of 2011Weekly Tournament WinnerMVP of Draft #2Make a Quiz winnerTeam PvP #3 WinnerSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeWeekly PvP Tournament WinnerWeekly PvP Tournament WinnerWar #1 Winner - Team Fire
Re: 4th Trials - Phase 1 - Proving of Worthiness https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29093.msg372086#msg372086
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2011, 04:25:25 am »
I disagree on principle with Task I.
I appreciate the feedback.  Task I hasn't really ever spoken to a Master's duties but rather his qualifications.  Historically participants have been asked to use their element to beat AI5, FGs, and the like.  Here participants have been asked to use their element to beat Arena opponents.  Providing ttw statistics over 40 games was a good idea for last Trials but truthfully nothing really meaningful came out of that task because 40 games is far too small a sample.  ttw statistics in the Arena would be even less meaningful.

I'm hearing a lot of frustration in chat, but I remember vividly similar frustration from the previous two Trials that ultimately turned to satisfaction.  It seems to me that some frustration is over the "tried and true" rule.  I've commented on it several times but I'll try to clarify it one more time.  I'm nonplussed by some decks that have been submitted, but none so far have appeared in the ttw study and I've been unable to find extremely similar decks on the forum.  I won't eliminate such decks but I expect everyone will remember candidate choices when voting on the player that's best fit to be Master during phase 3.  I would hesitate to vote for a fire candidate who took a deck extremely similar to v2, a well-known and heavily tested grinder.  Lastly, originality of ideas will be considered when I look to distribute bonus points.

Hope this helps.

Re: 4th Trials - Phase 1 - Proving of Worthiness https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29093.msg372100#msg372100
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2011, 05:03:23 am »
Task I hasn't really ever spoken to a Master's duties but rather his qualifications.
Aren't his "qualifications" just a measure of his ability to perform his duties?  This is circular.

Providing ttw statistics over 40 games was a good idea for last Trials but truthfully nothing really meaningful came out of that task because 40 games is far too small a sample.
I disagree.  Examination of permutations such as are possible with the number of cards this game involves mandates first taking smaller samples of many possibilities, in order to develop "leads" - candidates that look promising.  In other words, last Trials' Task I laid the foundation into investigation of several decks built on every element.  And 40 isn't as small as you might think... many decks showed promise against AI5, with a consistency that one would expect to continue in a longer study.  We may not have narrowed our statistics down to the hundreds place, but we got a pretty decent ballpark on a large variety of decks.

Now you have me curious about the frustration from the last two Trials; I don't remember any part of Phase 1 last time around that would provoke something like what you're describing.  Was it the ttw study?

Offline TheonlyrealBeef

• Master of Darkness
  • Reputation Power: 61
  • TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!
  • Do not underestimate the power of the dark side!
  • Awards: War #14 Winner - Team Aether14th Trials - Master of Darkness2019 - PvP World ChampionSlice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeWar #13 Winner - Team Darkness13th Trials - Master of DarknessWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner4th Grandmaster Battle Winner - DarknessGold DonorSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWar #12 Winner - Team DarknessWeekly Tournament Winner12th Trials - Master of DarknessWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 9th Birthday Cake2017 - PvP World ChampionWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 3/2016 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeTeam PvP #4 Winner5th Trials - Master of Darkness4th Trials - Master of Darkness3rd Trials - Master of DarknessWeekly Tournament WinnerMS Paint Card Art #2 Winner
Re: 4th Trials - Phase 1 - Proving of Worthiness https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29093.msg372125#msg372125
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2011, 07:06:47 am »
Isn't this feedback and suggestions?

Either way, I have to agree this arena stuff is more frustrating than ttw. I think I got about 20 losses during the ttw, now I've already gotten at least 200 (tarnishing my wonderful win/loss ratio ;_;). But the deck did succeed in the end. It's just "slightly" (ahum) hard to beat hard counters with twice your hp and/or draw.

MrBlonde

Re: 4th Trials - Phase 1 - Proving of Worthiness https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29093.msg372147#msg372147
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2011, 09:26:34 am »
Definitely agree with Torb here. Some elements are going to have a really really tough time beating this challenge. Lots of frustration from my side anyhow. This definitely is the hardest deck challenge i've had so far.

LongDono

Re: 4th Trials - Phase 1 - Proving of Worthiness https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29093.msg372173#msg372173
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2011, 11:56:46 am »
I have gotten 3/4 rings filled now SEVEN times and failed the 4th match each time. *cries*
Then I need silver and bronze...... *sigh*
Maybe before a challenge is given someone should run through the challenge to see how possible it is for the next trials???

Offline Higurashi

• Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 103
  • Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Æther in Æternum enim Æquilibrio
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 14th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 13th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 12th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeWinner of Team PvP #6Slice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerFalse Gods Competition: Reloaded - WinnerSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake4th Trials - Master of Aether3rd Trials - Master of AetherWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: 4th Trials - Phase 1 - Proving of Worthiness https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29093.msg372183#msg372183
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2011, 01:01:23 pm »
Gold was impossible to win 4 in a row for my deck. The best I got was 2/4 after hours of trying. But the thing is, I rushed Platinum pretty quickly long before that. Some days, the deck pool in different leagues is horrible for some decks, so you can try your luck in different ones, or even on different days.
:aether  http://elementscommunity.org/forum/guilds/991-thunderbolts-ho!-991/ :aether
Aether is the prime Element present in all things, providing space, connection and balance for all Elements to exist.
Aether represents the sense of joy and union, and the ultimate potential of all things.

LongDono

Re: 4th Trials - Phase 1 - Proving of Worthiness https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29093.msg372199#msg372199
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2011, 01:56:25 pm »
Gold was impossible to win 4 in a row for my deck. The best I got was 2/4 after hours of trying. But the thing is, I rushed Platinum pretty quickly long before that. Some days, the deck pool in different leagues is horrible for some decks, so you can try your luck in different ones, or even on different days.
Yeah i know what you mean. I got uber lucky today. 4 rings on Gold, and now I am about to post my 5 on silver. Bronze should be cake. (Was down to less than 5 HP in 3 of the silver games. O.O How did I pull this off? )

Offline willng3

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 77
  • willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Your tears are delicious
  • Awards: 10th Trials - Master of LifeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeWar Correspondent Competition - WinnnerWeekly Tournament Winner6th Trials - Master of LifeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake5th Trials - Master of Life4th Trials - Master of LifeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeShort Story: Rare Mythology Competition Winner
Re: 4th Trials - Phase 1 - Proving of Worthiness https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29093.msg372202#msg372202
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2011, 02:06:49 pm »
Heh. I spent over 10 hours on decks to beat Platinum yesterday, messed around some more this morning for about an hour and then decided to take a rush against Gold and breezed right through on the first try.  Arena really is fickle; I hate to think of how my rage went to waste yesterday looking back.
"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals"

Forum reigned by my mixtape

Offline Bonestorm

• Reputation Power: 8
  • Bonestorm is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • This is not the end.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeWinner of Short Story Competition - Draconic Guardians
Re: 4th Trials - Phase 1 - Proving of Worthiness https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29093.msg372240#msg372240
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2011, 03:43:23 pm »
Arena really is fickle
Can't describe how true this is :P

I tried my hand at the arena part of the trial just for fun under the death trialist rules, took me about 1 hour to do platinum with the deck and about 40mins for the rest (silver&bronze). Just seems as though it's largely about avoiding those truely nasty decks on any sort of decent draw.

Atleast all the effort people are putting in to make a capable deck and carry out the task (especially if it was difficult with whatever element/whatever card restrictions that player had) will show people how much you cared/committed yourself to get through it come the voting phase.

Anyway, I had fun doing the task I of the trials, I'll probably choose another element to have a whack at it with over the next day or so.

P.s. Over 10 Hours is pretty intense, insane props to anyone who has had to work this hard.

Offline pikachufan2164

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 40
  • pikachufan2164 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.pikachufan2164 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.pikachufan2164 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.pikachufan2164 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.pikachufan2164 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.pikachufan2164 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.pikachufan2164 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.pikachufan2164 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.
  • Phase in, phase out.
  • Awards: Rouser of Willng3 RecruitsWeekly Tournament WinnerWar #5 Winner - Team AetherSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeTeam PvP #4 WinnerSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake 	2nd Trivia Winner
Re: 4th Trials - Phase 1 - Proving of Worthiness https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29093.msg372299#msg372299
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2011, 06:18:29 pm »
Time spent trying to chain three wins: 20 hours and counting -_-"

Two hours later: got lucky against Gold and Silver, semi-struggled against Dim Shield chains in Bronze, but finally finished.
I'm doing science, and I'm still alive.

Level 2 Magic Judge.

blarg: