*Author

Offline Manuel

• Reputation Power: 23
  • Manuel is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.Manuel is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.Manuel is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.Manuel is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 14th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 13th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 12th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner12th Trials - Master of AirSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeBrawl #7 Winner - Green NightWeekly Tournament WinnerWar #11 Winner - Team LifeCard Design Competition - Help Wanted WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerCard Competition - ChampionSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Banning Supernova, Quantum Tower, and SoG from Arena (Yet another new poll) https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28129.msg1289394#msg1289394
« Reply #336 on: May 19, 2019, 04:34:10 pm »
Honestly this necro has been so confusing that only someone like Manuel would bother to try help Wyand understand his err

Arena is broken because of 1hp & NaN, not SoD. Original post was about when shards were colorless. I wasn't around for that, but my understanding is that it was a much more broken meta than the modern QQ over sopa/sofr. So Wyand's necro'd some now irrelevant topic with a total off topic tangent that nobody can even understand the inspiration for. It's okay to not've been around in 2011, but if you're going to necro have context. Back in 2011 there was a chance that things could change (in fact, they did), but do you really think Zanz is going to come back just to ban SoD from arena??!?!?

Is Wyand proof that we live in simulated reality??

only someone like me would explain you that all the discussion is based on theory and hypothesis and not hoping for zanz to come back and ban sod

u got your daily dose of attention for today, i think u can let people discuss about things u probably don't care (and don't know) without crying

:) :) :) :) :) :)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 04:40:11 pm by Manuel »

Offline Wyand

• Tournament Organizer
  • Reputation Power: 36
  • Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.
  • Not So Young Elemental
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 14th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 13th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 12th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner (2020.12.27.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.11.15.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.10.11.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.10.04.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.09.14.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.09.05.)Slice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner 2020.1.1913th Trials - Master of EntropyWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerElements League 2/2019 3rd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerArt Competition - Winter Paint With Elements WinnerTeam Deckbuilding/Writing Competition - A Matter of Logistics WinnerArt Competition - Definitely A Card Design CompetitionSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Banning Supernova, Quantum Tower, and SoG from Arena (Yet another new poll) https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28129.msg1289400#msg1289400
« Reply #337 on: May 19, 2019, 09:33:18 pm »
Honestly this necro has been so confusing that only someone like Manuel would bother to try help Wyand understand his err

Arena is broken because of 1hp & NaN, not SoD. Original post was about when shards were colorless. I wasn't around for that, but my understanding is that it was a much more broken meta than the modern QQ over sopa/sofr. So Wyand's necro'd some now irrelevant topic with a total off topic tangent that nobody can even understand the inspiration for. It's okay to not've been around in 2011, but if you're going to necro have context. Back in 2011 there was a chance that things could change (in fact, they did), but do you really think Zanz is going to come back just to ban SoD from arena??!?!?

Is Wyand proof that we live in simulated reality??

What is my error? Yes, I judged the topic by its title, I didn't read thoroughly 30 pages (or at least a few to understand that the title is a bit
misleading since the game changed a lot since then). I wanted a topic where I wanted to write my concern about boring SoD decks which
dominate bronze/silver/gold for ages. Is it not a valid concern? Yeah, it is really funny and balanced to see the same decks owned by the
same player for eternity. Didn't want to start a new topic, that's it. I find it strange that no one told that "Hey Wyand, it isn't the best
topic thisandthis reason, I just replace your post here, it is more suitable there".

Another thing which is hilarious that both you serp, and Manuel talk like if I just stumbled into the forums 2 days ago. I know that
the game doesn't get updates, I know that SoD decks can be beaten (but I don't intend to play anti-SoD decks exclusively, no fun in
that), and yes, Arena is mainly broken because of NaN and 1 hp decks, but if you think SoD decks destroying the spirit of the Arena
is fun, well. Your opinion.

And I especially don't understand you, serprex. Did I step on your toes, huh? Experienced players should be always ready to give
explanations and help, not lecturing in a cynical way. Enough shit happening IRL and I come here to enjoy these moments which
are spent on forums/chat/game.
<---- A nice purple pie, shiny cups and a trio of cakes on a red platter, a box of candies and an ice cream cone on chocolate! :) Bon appétit!

"It's hard to detect good luck - it looks so much like something you've earned." - Frank A. Clark

Offline serprex

• Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • serprex hides under a Cloak.
  • Awards: War #12 Winner - Team Darkness
Re: Banning Supernova, Quantum Tower, and SoG from Arena (Yet another new poll) https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28129.msg1289406#msg1289406
« Reply #338 on: May 20, 2019, 03:14:41 am »
Would've been good if someone whispered you about necro etiquette, but there is an alert. If you're not going to read the thread, don't necro:
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 60 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

So already your post isn't going to garner sympathy. Then you're pleading to some "spirit of arena" which has never existed. The spirit of arena when it was populated were Bronze monoaether decks ignoring their oracle card, & in Plat it diversified into generic SGbows basically ignoring their oracle card, or monodark, or ghostmare, or DBH, or Purify-splash-to-troll-sosadials. See Arena stats to see how specific decks had to be for Plat. Back when Arena was used SoD decks weren't ruling the meta. But your complaint was a broad statement, not really targeting a specific league of Arena. Maybe the argument is "the spirit of arena is old decks are meant to die off"?

It was my error to step into a heated discussion with tongue in cheek, & likely things were dying down enough that you were going to finally ignore Manuel & move on, so I should've done what everyone else has done & continued to ignore this face palm inducing thread. Fact that you haven't been here for only two days is what made this whole necro thread that much more confusing. Newer players randomly picking a nerf/buff thread to necro is normal (in fact, a "Nerf SoD" thread might be where this would've belonged)

Suggesting something be banned is also an extreme point of view. See the plenty of good discussions out there about players making knee-jerk complaints for buffs/nerfs in this era of games that get updates, & how Broodwar has continued to evolve after twenty years without any updates. Plenty of things players initially would've thought "this is broken" but it gets figured out & map makers compensated for the rest. & this trend exists also in MtG where any good deck has to do something unfair to break into the meta, & there'll always be some segment of the population who think some archetypes way of making things unfair goes too far

If your complaint is that SoD decks are restricting your viable options, that's off the mark. Especially if you're asking that you get to use SoSe/Mutations. SoD isn't what makes those cards bad in Arena. Arena gives the AI deck a hefty advantage so that you have to bring a deck which can quickly get something on the field which requires an answer from the opponent or else their starting advantage will be nullified. Random card advantage or mutations aren't going to cut it. For a good discussion of strategic headroom, see this really great blog post on balance in NetHack4. This often becomes relevant in card game discussions where players feel their pet deck should always be viable. But maybe I'm misunderstanding your argument, since I'm not really understanding this thread to begin with

If you want to debate further with me please move it to PMs, I'd be happy to settle any misunderstandings there. Feel free to reply here if you want to get a last word in, but I'm going to step out of this thread now

Offline ddevans96

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 113
  • ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • now palafrost
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSilver Donor9th Trials - Master of WaterSlice of Elements 6th Birthday Cake8th Trials - Master of WaterSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeWinner of the Harry Potter PvP House CupSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: Banning Supernova, Quantum Tower, and SoG from Arena (Yet another new poll) https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28129.msg1289407#msg1289407
« Reply #339 on: May 20, 2019, 05:32:15 am »
I know that SoD decks can be beaten (but I don't intend to play anti-SoD decks exclusively, no fun in that)

I know fun is subjective, but personally, I've really been enjoying grinding Bronze recently.

I saw all the decks with literally only free creatures, tried them for a bit, and thought 'this is boring' and decided I wanted to do my own thing - so I shoved a bunch of cheap Water damage into a deck and filled it out from there. It's a little less efficient, to be sure, but it's cathartic to breeze through the 1HP fodder, has made for some very enjoyable games against other decks, has cards I love using, and still earns exponentially more electrum than anything I did years ago.

Is there no way to make a Mutation and/or SoSe deck scale well into endgame against decks with HP?
discord / twitter: palafrost - 2x master of water - false god enthusiast
twitch: palafrost - speedrunner, ex-celeste, currently hades
avatar: makoto [persona 5] by asukabaka

Offline Wyand

• Tournament Organizer
  • Reputation Power: 36
  • Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.
  • Not So Young Elemental
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 14th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 13th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 12th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner (2020.12.27.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.11.15.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.10.11.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.10.04.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.09.14.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.09.05.)Slice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner 2020.1.1913th Trials - Master of EntropyWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerElements League 2/2019 3rd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerArt Competition - Winter Paint With Elements WinnerTeam Deckbuilding/Writing Competition - A Matter of Logistics WinnerArt Competition - Definitely A Card Design CompetitionSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Banning Supernova, Quantum Tower, and SoG from Arena (Yet another new poll) https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28129.msg1289411#msg1289411
« Reply #340 on: May 20, 2019, 10:17:10 am »
Thx for the great post, serprex. OK, I quickly summarize it.

"the spirit of arena is old decks are meant to die off" - Exactly. Maybe you noticed that I'm sort of a purist in various things.

"necroing" - Sorry again. Can't exactly explain you why I necroed instead of starting a new topic, I know my
reasons, but hard to explain. Personal stuff.

"Plat decks having great advantage" - Sure and obvious thing.

"SoD/arena decks restricting my pet decks." - Not complaining about that. I know the limits of my decks.

ps: ddevans> my Mutation+TU deck is surprisingly good. A good start with it can even destroy The Immortal style decks. :)
I have the same feelings about my deck, maybe less efficient, but I love them, every card in it, and love those
cathartic wins.
<---- A nice purple pie, shiny cups and a trio of cakes on a red platter, a box of candies and an ice cream cone on chocolate! :) Bon appétit!

"It's hard to detect good luck - it looks so much like something you've earned." - Frank A. Clark

Offline Manuel

• Reputation Power: 23
  • Manuel is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.Manuel is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.Manuel is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.Manuel is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 14th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 13th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 12th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner12th Trials - Master of AirSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeBrawl #7 Winner - Green NightWeekly Tournament WinnerWar #11 Winner - Team LifeCard Design Competition - Help Wanted WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerCard Competition - ChampionSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Banning Supernova, Quantum Tower, and SoG from Arena (Yet another new poll) https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28129.msg1289415#msg1289415
« Reply #341 on: May 20, 2019, 12:51:59 pm »
It was my error to step into a heated discussion about game knowledge

i agree

finally ignore Manuel

lmao u are my biggest fan, always posting  don't be shy serpex

so I should've done what everyone else has done & continued to ignore this face palm inducing thread.

yes we have an incredibile amount of posts in other totally relevant threads, more than half of the section are full of face palming threads? talk for yourself not for other players, there are a lot of theoretical and abandoned threads where i am sure, u can learn a lot from them

i have 20 pages of plat decks posted where most of them have only 1 loss, several other alts, peaked every arena several times, maybe i am free to talk about arena without you trying to get attentions from me
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 12:53:56 pm by Manuel »

anything
blarg: