*Author

Offline majofaTopic starter

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 90
  • majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Awards: Forum Brawl #5 Winner - Abyss BrawlersWar #8 - Sportsmanship AwardForum Brawl #4 WinnerROCK-PAPER-SCISSORS-LIZARD-SPOCK Bazinger2012 - PvP World ChampionSapphire Shard of PvP Events6th Trials - Master of WaterCard Idea Decks - Space CreaturesBrawl #1 Winner - Team Nyan SharksWinner of 12 Lives - PvP Event #2Weekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerPvP Player of the Year - 2011Weekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWinner of Raise the Stakes PvP Event #14th Trials - Master of LightWeekly Tournament WinnerWar #3 Winner - Team FireWeekly Tournament WinnerVictor of the 1st Card Design War24 Club - Most Expensive Players during War AuctionWinner of Team PvP #3Weekly Tournament WinnerWinner of 12 Lives PvP Event #1Weekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner
Sideboard #3 - Suggestions and Feedback. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=38928.msg483795#msg483795
« on: April 19, 2012, 08:59:50 pm »
Please post feedback and suggestions. Thank you.

Offline RootRanger

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 51
  • RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.
  • R A I N B R O S
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 13th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday Cake10th Trials - Master of FireElemental Conquest WinnerWriting Competition - Across(tic) the World of ElementsWeekly Tournament Winner1st Grandmaster Battle Winner - FireThere Can Be Only One - 2016 WinnerGold DonorChampionship League 2/2015 2nd Place9th Trials - Master of FireElements: A Game of Politics - WinnerEnder of War War #8 Winner - Team FireWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 1/2013 WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWar #4 Winner - Team DeathChampionship League 3/2011 3rd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBeginners League 2/2011 2nd PlaceWeekly PvP Tournament WinnerWeekly PvP Tournament WinnerBeginners League 1/2011 2nd PlaceWeekly PvP Tournament Winner
Re: Sideboard #3 - Suggestions and Feedback. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=38928.msg489521#msg489521
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 02:27:53 pm »
I think we should go back to Double Elimination next time.

No matter how good someones deck and sideboard are, there's going to be something that clearly beats it. And it should be like that, otherwise some things would be OP. But my problem is that with the current format, someone with an excellent deck only needs one matchup against one of their counters before they are eliminated. With double elimination, I believe that there would be more skill in the event because it takes two unfavorable matchups to be eliminated instead of one.

Last sideboard, many people did not play their matches, especially in the loser's bracket. But if you think that a small chance at winning will hold people back from getting their matches done, just look at how many people played their matches in the group stage when they had already been mathematically eliminated. Double elimination might even encourage activity even more than the current format, as well as making the even more fair and skillful.

World Cup was fun to try, but I do not feel that it is the ideal system. Not for this event, at least.
Somehow still around, somewhat

Offline hainkarga

• Reputation Power: 25
  • hainkarga is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.hainkarga is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.hainkarga is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.hainkarga is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.hainkarga is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerRent a deck - WinnerWinner of Team PvP #6Slice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeWar #6 Winner - Team AetherWar #5 Winner - Team AetherWinner of Sideboard #3 PvP Event
Re: Sideboard #3 - Suggestions and Feedback. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=38928.msg493887#msg493887
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 08:38:04 pm »
@RootRanger
I do not know if world cup is ideal or not but i guess it turned out to be just the opposite of what you predicted. Multiple people went up to knockout rounds even after losing twice. Double elimination would give only two chances. And compared to previous event, everyone without exception finished all their matches and the event was only 1-2 days longer than was set to last.
Meritocratic Technocracy

Offline RootRanger

• Legendary Member
  • RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.
  • R A I N B R O S
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 13th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday Cake10th Trials - Master of FireElemental Conquest WinnerWriting Competition - Across(tic) the World of ElementsWeekly Tournament Winner1st Grandmaster Battle Winner - FireThere Can Be Only One - 2016 WinnerGold DonorChampionship League 2/2015 2nd Place9th Trials - Master of FireElements: A Game of Politics - WinnerEnder of War War #8 Winner - Team FireWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 1/2013 WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWar #4 Winner - Team DeathChampionship League 3/2011 3rd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBeginners League 2/2011 2nd PlaceWeekly PvP Tournament WinnerWeekly PvP Tournament WinnerBeginners League 1/2011 2nd PlaceWeekly PvP Tournament Winner
Re: Sideboard #3 - Suggestions and Feedback. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=38928.msg493910#msg493910
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 09:25:33 pm »
@RootRanger
I do not know if world cup is ideal or not but i guess it turned out to be just the opposite of what you predicted. Multiple people went up to knockout rounds even after losing twice. Double elimination would give only two chances. And compared to previous event, everyone without exception finished all their matches and the event was only 1-2 days longer than was set to last.
There were 6 people that were eliminated even though they only lost 1 match.
There were 2 people that were eliminated after losing their 3rd match.

I don't see how this is fair.

And also, with Double Elimination, more people would get their matches done, btw. They'll never be mathematically eliminated until their final loss.

Offline hainkarga

• hainkarga is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.hainkarga is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.hainkarga is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.hainkarga is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.hainkarga is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerRent a deck - WinnerWinner of Team PvP #6Slice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeWar #6 Winner - Team AetherWar #5 Winner - Team AetherWinner of Sideboard #3 PvP Event
Re: Sideboard #3 - Suggestions and Feedback. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=38928.msg493920#msg493920
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 09:43:18 pm »
I'm sorry if there is some calculation i don't know about but i see all the eliminated players with either 2 or 3 losses, none of them eliminated for losing only once. Two went up after losing 2 matches and were eliminated after 3rd loss.

Who are the 6 people who got eliminated for losing only once ?
Meritocratic Technocracy

Offline RootRanger

• Legendary Member
  • R A I N B R O S
Re: Sideboard #3 - Suggestions and Feedback. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=38928.msg493936#msg493936
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 09:59:18 pm »
I'm sorry if there is some calculation i don't know about but i see all the eliminated players with either 2 or 3 losses, none of them eliminated for losing only once. Two went up after losing 2 matches and were eliminated after 3rd loss.

Who are the 6 people who got eliminated for losing only once ?
I really shouldn't need three posts to explain this.
Alright, go here.
Yeah? Notice how 7 people are 3-0? Mhm, well, 6 of them are eliminated with just one loss in the world cup stage.
With double elimination, it would take two losses to be eliminated.
If you still don't get it by now, I guess you could just re-read my posts. I don't know what else to say here.

Offline hainkarga

Re: Sideboard #3 - Suggestions and Feedback. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=38928.msg494312#msg494312
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 05:07:10 pm »
Huh no need to get cranky, peace. But i thought you were comparing the system as a whole vs double elimination. Instead you rip apart and seperate the 2nd stage of the event and compare only that against double elimination. That is a bit messed up way of thinking. While 6 people got eliminated on their first match, 26 other people had multiple chances and each player had 3 chances to get up to knockouts.  So it is like people had multiple chances to prove their decks strength to rise to do 4 more matches. I gather your problem is getting eliminated in those final 4 matches.

In double elimination your deck might be one of the strongest yet meet a counter on the first match, which means you have to win like 9 more matches to rise up to the final which increases the chances that you will meet another counter tremendously. Meanwhile a worse yet luckily matched deck could go much further than you on the winners bracket easily.  A terrible deck could win 1-2 matches while your awesomesauce deck loses by accident on the first. Now you get to win at least what ? 3 more wins to catch up ? The rule of "No loser gets eliminated immediately" alone does not instantly make everything about double elim fair. Its fairness hugely depends on RNG.

Besides it gets frustrating for several people to do 10ish matches compared to like 7 in this system. Last tpvp was a headache. You are comparing apples with oranges by taking only some of the results into consideration.

At the end of the day:

* Double elim gives double chance to everyone, no more no less, while lasting 2-3 rounds longer. Early losers have to win more games.
* World cup gives 3 chance to everyone for knockout, then 0 chance at knockout while granting the winners extra upped cards + matchup with the relatively weaker (by means of upped card count and win count) opponents. Everyone does same amount of matches.

I'm not an expert, but i guess either could be good depending on the perspective. Personally i don't care much between both systems.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 05:18:17 pm by hainkarga »
Meritocratic Technocracy

Offline RootRanger

• Legendary Member
  • R A I N B R O S
Re: Sideboard #3 - Suggestions and Feedback. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=38928.msg494463#msg494463
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 09:53:18 pm »
Huh no need to get cranky, peace. But i thought you were comparing the system as a whole vs double elimination. Instead you rip apart and seperate the 2nd stage of the event and compare only that against double elimination. That is a bit messed up way of thinking.
Could you quote where I appear to be comparing only the 2nd stage of the event? Be specific.

While 6 people got eliminated on their first match, 26 other people had multiple chances and each player had 3 chances to get up to knockouts.
"3 chances" would suggest that a player would reach knockouts after already losing twice, and winning on their third chance. This only happened once in the entire event.

So it is like people had multiple chances to prove their decks strength to rise to do 4 more matches.
Actually, only 2 people played 4 matches in the knockout round. 8 people played 1 match. A more reasonable statistic is 2, as that is close to the average of matches played per person in the knockout round.

I gather your problem is getting eliminated in those final 4 matches.
I've already stated my problem pretty clearly. Don't try to make this a personal issue just to make me look bad. Do you see my saying that you're only arguing against me because you won? Nope. And I would expect you to maintain the same level of conduct.

In double elimination your deck might be one of the strongest yet meet a counter on the first match, which means you have to win like 9 more matches to rise up to the final which increases the chances that you will meet another counter tremendously.
The chances of that one of the strongest decks will be eliminated in World Cup is larger than the chance that it will be eliminated in Double Elimination. This seems obvious, but I suppose I could write out the match behind this if I really have to.

Meanwhile a worse yet luckily matched deck could go much further than you on the winners bracket easily.  A terrible deck could win 1-2 matches while your awesomesauce deck loses by accident on the first. Now you get to win at least what ? 3 more wins to catch up ? The rule of "No loser gets eliminated immediately" alone does not instantly make everything about double elim fair. Its fairness hugely depends on RNG.
Again, the chances that a terrible deck could go further than a strong deck is larger with World Cup.

Besides it gets frustrating for several people to do 10ish matches compared to like 7 in this system. Last tpvp was a headache. You are comparing apples with oranges by taking only some of the results into consideration.
Ok, true, a maximum of 7 matches is easier to play than 10. However, the average amount of matches per person in double elimination is 4. The average amount of matches per person in World Cup is also 4. While someone could potentially have to play more matches in Double Elimination, the average player has to play just as much in World Cup as in Double Elimination.

* World cup gives 3 chance to everyone for knockout,
Well, not really. Someone could lose twice and miss knockout. This happened 7 times.

Everyone does same amount of matches.
Only in the group stage. Focus on the entire event, hain.

Hain, you've misunderstood my posts, misunderstood my argument, and misunderstood the event.
Honestly, do you really have the better argument? Or do you just want to believe you were right?

Offline hainkarga

Re: Sideboard #3 - Suggestions and Feedback. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=38928.msg494479#msg494479
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 10:22:16 pm »
wow. no, you are right.
Meritocratic Technocracy

blarg: