*Author

Offline WyandTopic starter

• Tournament Organizer
  • Reputation Power: 36
  • Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.
  • Not So Young Elemental
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 14th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 13th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 12th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner (2020.12.27.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.11.15.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.10.11.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.10.04.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.09.14.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.09.05.)Slice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner 2020.1.1913th Trials - Master of EntropyWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerElements League 2/2019 3rd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerArt Competition - Winter Paint With Elements WinnerTeam Deckbuilding/Writing Competition - A Matter of Logistics WinnerArt Competition - Definitely A Card Design CompetitionSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner
Stargazing / Astronomy https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66214.msg1278335#msg1278335
« on: July 31, 2018, 11:25:54 pm »
I hope there are other stargazers / amateur astronomers here! I wouldn't dare to call myself even an amateur astronomer,
but I do have a nice telescope, and if I have the chance - quite heavy stuff - I like to check out the ever-beautiful sky.
Sometimes there are nice events which are clearly visible to the naked eye, or even a binocular is enough to amplify
the enjoyment.

If there is interest and/or like-minded people it would be great to consult the topic and announce coming spectacular events.

Tonight the Mars will be quite close to Earth, only 35,8 million miles away (to have some idea about these distances: the average
Sun-Earth distance is about 92,8 million miles). Maybe you noticed that shiny orange-reddish dot on the evening sky lately.
Yep, that's the Mars. It will look that spectacular for a few weeks, and until then will stay shinier than all of the stars (except the Sun, of
course  ;) but it is not on the night sky :D ). It will even outshine Jupiter! Only the Venus and the Moon will be shinier than it for these weeks.
<---- A nice purple pie, shiny cups and a trio of cakes on a red platter, a box of candies and an ice cream cone on chocolate! :) Bon appétit!

"It's hard to detect good luck - it looks so much like something you've earned." - Frank A. Clark

• Tournament Organizer
  • Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.
  • Not So Young Elemental
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 14th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 13th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 12th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner (2020.12.27.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.11.15.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.10.11.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.10.04.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.09.14.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.09.05.)Slice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner 2020.1.1913th Trials - Master of EntropyWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerElements League 2/2019 3rd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerArt Competition - Winter Paint With Elements WinnerTeam Deckbuilding/Writing Competition - A Matter of Logistics WinnerArt Competition - Definitely A Card Design CompetitionSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Stargazing / Astronomy https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66214.msg1278900#msg1278900
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 12:28:17 am »
Get ready for Meteor Shower! The Perseids has already arrived but their maximum will be on the night of August 12-13!
Depending on your site (how much light pollution hinders your eyesight) you may see 10-100+ meteors/hour. Get ready for some
fireballs, too! Fireballs (or bolides) are a bit larger meteors which are even shinier than the Venus. Prognosis says that this year
we may see more fireballs than usual.

Every important info is collected together here.
<---- A nice purple pie, shiny cups and a trio of cakes on a red platter, a box of candies and an ice cream cone on chocolate! :) Bon appétit!

"It's hard to detect good luck - it looks so much like something you've earned." - Frank A. Clark

Offline InsignificantWeeaboo

• Newsletter Writer
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • InsignificantWeeaboo is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.InsignificantWeeaboo is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.InsignificantWeeaboo is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • Ah, I see you're a man of culture as well.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWriting Competition: Draw Seven WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerCard Design Competition - The Oracle's New Year's Party WinnerWriting Competition: Haphazard Heroics WinnerDeckbuilding Competition - The Mastery Gauntlet WinnerWriting Competition: H.E.A.T. WinnerSlice of Elements 9th Birthday Cake
Re: Stargazing / Astronomy https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66214.msg1278904#msg1278904
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 04:39:10 am »
Can you try to get pictures and post them on here? Interested in seeing.
O-oooooooooo AAAAE-A-A-I-A-U-JO-oooooooooooo AAE-O-A-A-U-U-A-E-eee-ee-eee AAAAE-A-E-I-E-A-JO-ooo-oo-oo-oo EEEEO-A-AAA-AAAA
Team :gravity Gen. (War #12)
Team :gravity Soldier (War #13)
Team :light Soldier (War #14)

• Tournament Organizer
  • Not So Young Elemental
Re: Stargazing / Astronomy https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66214.msg1278914#msg1278914
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 10:38:00 am »
I'll do my best but my camera is too basic for that. The best thing you can do is keeping up late and seeing it with your own eyes. :)

Offline shockcannon

• Master of Fire
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • shockcannon is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.shockcannon is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.shockcannon is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • Young Elemental
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 13th Birthday Cake14th Trials - Master of FireSlice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner13th Trials - Master of FireWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Stargazing / Astronomy https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66214.msg1278922#msg1278922
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 03:09:28 pm »
Too much light pollution where I am. Saw some the past couple nights though while I was on vacation.

EDIT: Mars and Jupiter are very visible and bright right now as well.
You are what you eat from your head to your feet

• Tournament Organizer
  • Not So Young Elemental
Re: Stargazing / Astronomy https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66214.msg1279011#msg1279011
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 09:31:52 pm »
I had some above average place for skywatching. However the place was much better a few years ago, since some local
smartguy thought that it is a good idea to put brutal city lights into a small village. One could even read in the proximity of
these lights. It is such a pity because the place has such a beautiful night sky. Few years ago I even saw here 100+ meteors/night
on Perseid nights. So, because of the light pollution I had to find another spot on our small parcel of a land, but that costed
in visibility (~20% smaller field of view due to neighboring trees).

Aug. 11->12. - 32 meteors in ~5 hours. Maybe I should add 5-6 but I wasn't sure about them, my peripherial
vision saw something, maybe a meteor, maybe just a flicker. In these cases if I saw the afterglow I added that one to the statistics.
One of the meteors was just brutal. I saw the meteor's fall peeking THROUGH ONE OF THE BLOCKING TREE'S FOLIAGE. It wasn't part
of the Perseids - maybe this was an Alpha Capricornid, this meteor shower doesn't produce many meteors, but usually there are
some huge flares. Even saw a similar one a few years ago. To imagine the brightness of that meteor: huge streak running through
half of the sky, meanwhile illuminating the sky like the gibbous (almost full) moon...

Aug. 12->13. - 83 meteors in ~5,5 hours. This was clearly the peak. Both days between 2 and 3 AM was the best
time to catch them. (I mean seeing... ah, you understand. :) ) Saw 4 really luminous one, but I would dare calling only 2 of these
fireball.

Also saw a ton of aeroplanes... how I hate them... their continuous blinking... and a bunch of satellites. :)

Tried to make pictures, but alas, I don't have a DSLR camera, only this. Kinda good stuff for learning, but not enough
sensitivity to use it effectively for short duration objects (lightnings, meteors etc.). Clearly, you can make pictures of these,
but you would need godly reflexes or a lot of luck. You can do long-exposure shots, but in my experiences you will have a
hard time getting some acceptable shots.

But I really don't want to leave you empty-handed.

Made this picture 5 years ago. The picture is filled with artifacts because of ISO 3200, but
you can clearly see 2 beauties: the red-green streak of a Perseid, plus the Andromeda Galaxy mid-right.

And two pictures from last night. One (a faint streak upper-mid, a bit to the left) and two
(you will clearly see this one).

All in all I would say these were good skywatching nights, despite the stupid streetlamps.

• Tournament Organizer
  • Not So Young Elemental
Re: Stargazing / Astronomy https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66214.msg1279727#msg1279727
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 05:05:22 pm »
Watch Moon and Aldebaran having a dance tonight! Check here when does the moon rise in your location.

This night the Moon will be visible in the horn of the Taurus constellation. Bright orange Aldebaran will be left from the Moon. Right from the Moon
there will be a star cluster visible - that's the Hyads. You will need a binocular to see them - unless you are far from city lights.

Enjoy! :)

• Tournament Organizer
  • Not So Young Elemental
Re: Stargazing / Astronomy https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66214.msg1283427#msg1283427
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 07:17:14 pm »
:)

Offline MasterWalks

• Reputation Power: 0
  • MasterWalks hides under a Cloak.
  • 12 year old mobile gamer
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 13th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 12th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner (2020.12.06.)Slice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeWar #13 Winner - Team DarknessSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWriting Competition: The Elemental Cookbook - A Compendium and Comprehensive Compilation of Culinary Creations WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBronze DonorTeam Deckbuilding/Writing Competition - A Matter of Logistics Winner
Re: Stargazing / Astronomy https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66214.msg1283738#msg1283738
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 06:28:05 am »
China launched a spacecraft last month and was able to land it on the dark side of the Moon. I'm very very excited about this because China may actually upset the current space supremacy of USA, Canada and Russia. This *could* usher a new space race. And I hope it does. Especially with China's Japan's "bouncing" rovers that can hop from asteroid to asteroid.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 10:07:27 pm by MasterWalks »
:gravity War 12
:darkness War 13
:fire War 14
Credit to Wyand for Profile Picture

• Tournament Organizer
  • Not So Young Elemental
Re: Stargazing / Astronomy https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66214.msg1283742#msg1283742
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 11:21:21 am »
China launched a spacecraft last month and was able to land it on the dark side of the Moon. I'm very very excited about this because China may actually upset the current space supremacy of USA, Canada and Russia. This *could* usher a new space race. And I hope it does. Especially with China's "bouncing" rovers that can hop from asteroid to asteroid.

Isn't the hopper Japanese?

Offline MasterWalks

• Reputation Power: 0
  • MasterWalks hides under a Cloak.
  • 12 year old mobile gamer
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 13th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 12th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner (2020.12.06.)Slice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeWar #13 Winner - Team DarknessSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWriting Competition: The Elemental Cookbook - A Compendium and Comprehensive Compilation of Culinary Creations WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBronze DonorTeam Deckbuilding/Writing Competition - A Matter of Logistics Winner
Re: Stargazing / Astronomy https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66214.msg1283748#msg1283748
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 06:48:52 pm »
you is right. Fixed
:gravity War 12
:darkness War 13
:fire War 14
Credit to Wyand for Profile Picture

• Tournament Organizer
  • Not So Young Elemental
Re: Stargazing / Astronomy https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66214.msg1283773#msg1283773
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 10:03:21 pm »
Also don't forget this month's spectacular event: a moon eclipse!

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/lunar/2019-january-21

anything
blarg: