*Author

Offline Mithcairion

• Reputation Power: 12
  • Mithcairion is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.Mithcairion is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • Nerf the Shards, Buff the Cards!
Re: ~~ War #4 - Round 7 Match Results and Countdown ~~ https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=34092.msg432347#msg432347
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 04:03:34 pm »
Never said it had anything to do with skill.  I suppose I could've been more clear in my previous post, this is why I shouldn't be posting in the middle of the night, but I digress.  To me, the impressive part is more that a player with equal or fewer upped cards than their opponent in every match is undefeated.  And despite my jesting, it is just as impressive to me that PlayerOa is, as well.  I simply missed his the first time through and was trying to cover it up by making it look like it was intentional.  Believe me, I'm well aware that the deck much more often than not makes the match, not the player (Look at my record this War, do you think that had anything to do with the way I played?   Not even a little bit :) )
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein
“Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life.” - Rachel Carson

Offline majofa

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 90
  • majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Awards: Forum Brawl #5 Winner - Abyss BrawlersWar #8 - Sportsmanship AwardForum Brawl #4 WinnerROCK-PAPER-SCISSORS-LIZARD-SPOCK Bazinger2012 - PvP World ChampionSapphire Shard of PvP Events6th Trials - Master of WaterCard Idea Decks - Space CreaturesBrawl #1 Winner - Team Nyan SharksWinner of 12 Lives - PvP Event #2Weekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerPvP Player of the Year - 2011Weekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWinner of Raise the Stakes PvP Event #14th Trials - Master of LightWeekly Tournament WinnerWar #3 Winner - Team FireWeekly Tournament WinnerVictor of the 1st Card Design War24 Club - Most Expensive Players during War AuctionWinner of Team PvP #3Weekly Tournament WinnerWinner of 12 Lives PvP Event #1Weekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: ~~ War #4 - Round 7 Match Results and Countdown ~~ https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=34092.msg432351#msg432351
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 04:08:42 pm »
I actually think that Root's post was directed at PlayerOa lol

...but in any case, it's just fun discussion.. I doubt anyone took any real offense to what you said. ;)

Re: ~~ War #4 - Round 7 Match Results and Countdown ~~ https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=34092.msg432395#msg432395
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 07:42:40 pm »
IMO people underestimate how much playing the decks can make the difference. In my game against valuka (3 -2), when I won the last game, I realised, had I played devourers/pillars or a few other cards as I drew them, I would have lost.

And in the games against MatyrX (3 -1 loss), I RTed too early/too late a few times, when I should have waited it out or gone for it. If my basic maths skills are correct, neither of these actually changed the result of any of the games however had the draws been closer in any individual games, they really would have.

I can't speak for other players, but it makes sense for someone like Pervepic, who thinks through all his moves to have a higher record than people like me, who do tend to make mistakes, or not take certain things into account while playing cards.

Offline Higurashi

• Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 103
  • Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Æther in Æternum enim Æquilibrio
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 14th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 13th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 12th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeWinner of Team PvP #6Slice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerFalse Gods Competition: Reloaded - WinnerSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake4th Trials - Master of Aether3rd Trials - Master of AetherWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: ~~ War #4 - Round 7 Match Results and Countdown ~~ https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=34092.msg432442#msg432442
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 10:04:58 pm »
We've certainly had big arguments as to how big a part player skill has in War. I can safely say I've seen a veritable ton more instances this War than the last where a different play choice would've changed the outcome.

On both ends of the spectrum. No less than three of Team Aether's games have been decided by play choices. I say "no less", because those are the ones I've been able to spectate and say with 100% certainty it is so. As such, it's rational to assume there have been more cases, especially considering I've only been able to spectate a fraction thanks to my timezone.

This might be less prominent in other teams. I have a tendency to take in new players that I see potential in, and their ability to learn fast can turn a game around in the fashion I mentioned. As such, the results I've mentioned may be more erratic than normal.

Regardless, I've gotten much proof player skill can certainly decide the outcome of War if it's even like last time or even more like this time. The real issue has always been how important it is rather than if it is or not. At this point people always try to put it into percentages or fractions, but honestly it comes down entirely to the deck matchups, so I can't quantify it like that. Some decks can put high pressure on both players, and it's a gamble to give such decks to other people in War, but it can really pay off. This reflects back to what players you choose for your team as well.
:aether  http://elementscommunity.org/forum/guilds/991-thunderbolts-ho!-991/ :aether
Aether is the prime Element present in all things, providing space, connection and balance for all Elements to exist.
Aether represents the sense of joy and union, and the ultimate potential of all things.

Offline Bonestorm

• Reputation Power: 8
  • Bonestorm is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • This is not the end.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeWinner of Short Story Competition - Draconic Guardians
Re: ~~ War #4 - Round 7 Match Results and Countdown ~~ https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=34092.msg432453#msg432453
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 10:29:16 pm »
I think luck plays quite a large part it in, who you're drawn vs (gen, lt, which team, what the opposing team's current vault situation is like, what the opposing team's other matches are) and what cards are available for the player in each match seems to play a larger role, as well as luck in the actual games. Even a lot of the 'skillful' decisions a player will make in-game will often come down in a fair part to luck.

Not going as far as to say that the player/team in question has no bearing on the outcome of the match once it has started but imho the vast majority of players in war will atleast have the skill to play well with the cards that are available to them against the information shown to them.

Aside, as majofa said, he's just compiled this out of interest and well done to everyone that has a good record this war.  :)

Offline majofa

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 90
  • majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.majofa is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Awards: Forum Brawl #5 Winner - Abyss BrawlersWar #8 - Sportsmanship AwardForum Brawl #4 WinnerROCK-PAPER-SCISSORS-LIZARD-SPOCK Bazinger2012 - PvP World ChampionSapphire Shard of PvP Events6th Trials - Master of WaterCard Idea Decks - Space CreaturesBrawl #1 Winner - Team Nyan SharksWinner of 12 Lives - PvP Event #2Weekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerPvP Player of the Year - 2011Weekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWinner of Raise the Stakes PvP Event #14th Trials - Master of LightWeekly Tournament WinnerWar #3 Winner - Team FireWeekly Tournament WinnerVictor of the 1st Card Design War24 Club - Most Expensive Players during War AuctionWinner of Team PvP #3Weekly Tournament WinnerWinner of 12 Lives PvP Event #1Weekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: ~~ War #4 - Round 7 Match Results and Countdown ~~ https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=34092.msg432455#msg432455
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 10:32:48 pm »
Don't get me wrong though, the discussion is fine.. it's okay to disagree. 8)

Offline SevsTopic starter

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Sevs is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Sevs is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Sevs is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Sevs is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Sevs is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.
  • My favorite element is Oxygen
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: ~~ War #4 - Round 7 Match Results and Countdown ~~ https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=34092.msg432473#msg432473
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 10:50:38 pm »
I found this pretty interesting to i made a second sheet within the generator to take up the past rounds data and make the same data. The subbing stats you did are going to be hard to replicate. I might post a sorted list somewhere.

EDIT*
"
ElementWin - Loss
Earth :earth31-17
Entropy :entropy31-18
Time :time29-20
Aether :aether22-17
Death :death24-19
Darkness :darkness15-17
Light :light16-19
Air :air15-20
Gravity :gravity13-19
Water :water12-18
Fire :fire9-17
Life :life9-19
Underworld :underworld4-11
RankPlayerElementWin - Loss
1Higurashi :aether6-0
2playerOa :death6-0
3Rastafla :entropy6-0
4majofa :light6-0
510men :time6-0
6UTAlan :aether5-0
7Pervepic :air4-0
89270984 :life2-0
9DeathAngelx :entropy1-0
10furballdn :underworld1-0
11MartyrX :earth6-1
12MrBlonde :death5-1
13Mithcairion :earth5-1
14PoLdeR :entropy5-1
15bogtro :earth4-1
16ak65ala :life4-1
17girlsgeneration :light4-1
18Acsabi44 :water4-1
19Kuroaitou :darkness3-1
20Rush6 :entropy5-2
21inthisroom :time5-2
22mrpaper :aether4-2
23Theonlyrealbeef :darkness4-2
24Jen-i :darkness2-1
25kirchj33 :earth4-2
26Sevs :earth4-2
27Matrimkk :entropy4-2
28Dwerg :entropy4-2
29Vineroz :gravity2-1
30bjessee :time4-2
31ffun :time4-2
32agentflare :death3-2
33ralouf1 :death3-2
34Antagon :fire3-2
35nilsieboy :gravity3-2
36Jappert :water3-2
37Daguerreo :water3-2
38OdiiOdsen :aether2-2
39DrunkDestroyer :air3-3
40BLoom :air2-2
41Onizuka :darkness2-2
42Terroking :darkness2-2
43jippy99 :death3-3
44Jaymanfu :death3-3
45CCCombobreaker :earth3-3
46AnnaMall :earth3-3
47thenewguy :entropy3-3
48NapalmGrenade :fire3-3
49Bhlewos :gravity2-2
50dragonsdemesne :time3-3
51bripod :time3-3
52TStar :underworld2-2
53AngelMusti :underworld1-1
RankPlayerElementWin - Loss
53AngelMusti :underworld1-1
54plastiqe :air2-3
55vagman13 :gravity2-3
56Jenkar :gravity2-3
57TheMormegil :life2-3
58EvaRia :aether2-4
59Shaliyah :aether1-2
60TuckingFypo :air1-2
61Legit :air2-4
62Wizardcat :darkness2-4
63Avenger :earth2-4
64Gumbeh :entropy2-4
65Bonestorm :entropy2-4
66Jocko :fire1-2
67deuce22 :fire1-2
68TheForbiddenOracle :fire1-2
69PuppyChow :gravity1-2
70Zeru :light2-4
71Spielkind :light1-2
72suxerz :light1-2
73valuka :time2-4
74TheManuz :time2-4
75Thedictator :water1-2
76markilleruk :aether1-3
77BatCountry :air1-3
78calindu221 :gravity1-3
79Kakerlake :light1-3
80light_sefi :light1-3
81hainkarga :aether1-4
82RootRanger :death1-5
83willng3 :life1-5
84RavingRabbid :water1-5
85Robotocracy :air0-3
86YawnChainHow :darkness0-3
87Aves :darkness0-2
88xn0ize :death0-3
89Kamietsu :fire0-2
90Dogg :fire0-2
91morningstar :fire0-2
92Iman00b8 :gravity0-3
93pikachufan2164 :life0-3
94Noobiecakes :life0-3
95Isei :life0-2
96LifeLockable :life0-2
97NikaZaslavsky :light0-4
98Rember :underworld0-3
99Malignant :underworld0-1
100Dm1321 :underworld0-1
101DarkArk :underworld0-2
102CerealGuy :underworld0-1
103Gillero :water0-3
104Tiko :water0-2
105Shantu :water0-1
"
"Elements is the greatest game ever made" - Abraham Lincoln

Offline dragonsdemesne

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 63
  • dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!
  • Leeeeeeeeeeroyyyyyyyyy....
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 1/2014 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 3/2013 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 2/2013 WinnerBattle League 1/2013 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 3/2012 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 2/2012 3rd Place
Re: ~~ War #4 - Round 7 Match Results and Countdown ~~ https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=34092.msg432586#msg432586
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 01:39:42 am »
It is interesting to see which players have good records or not, but it isn't the be all and end all.  There's suicides that either pad some player's records or make others artificially worse, for instance.  Subs can affect it as well, if one player makes a mistake that the other wouldn't have, or vice versa, but that's very difficult to quantify.  Also, not all elements are created equal, and some pairings are more/less unfavourable than others.  Team Life, for instance, as I've said a few times in chat, had the handicap of being forced to use 15 life cards in every deck :p  The life element is weak, but that doesn't necessarily mean the players on that team are poor.  That's actually why, if I play in War #5, I'll probably try to get on one of the teams that did poorly this round, to see how I fare in that situation.

All that doesn't even get into the random variables, like specific player matchups, how many generals/lt/soldier you faced, did the RNG screw you in the butt, etc.  Against Dogg on team fire, for instance, I had one game where I topdecked a nova to take a game I would have lost and win it, I had another game where I got quanta screwed and had to discard for the first 5 or so turns and lost, and another game where I played my entire opening hand on turn 1; that's the RNG.  Nobody could have won that game when I was quanta screwed, and nobody could have beat me when I got that dream hand.  The one where I topdecked a nova might have come down to decision making in the turns leading up to it; did I do something smart to buy that one more turn, did Dogg do something silly to let me have that one more turn, or was the game a foregone conclusion (albeit with a very tense endgame) with the given draws we had?  It's impossible to know now.

Offline Dogg

• Reputation Power: 0
  • Dogg hides under a Cloak.
  • ~Napalm's bodyguard!
  • Awards: War #3 Winner - Team Fire
Re: ~~ War #4 - Round 7 Match Results and Countdown ~~ https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=34092.msg432766#msg432766
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 10:53:03 am »
did Dogg do something silly to let me have that one more turn
Impossible!  :P
"Let me start off by saying those were the best played matches I've had this war; Dogg is pro." - jmdt
"This is gonna suck for a WAR for me, fighting off Dogg and Napalm on one team..." - icecoldbro

anything
blarg: