*Author

CB!

Not a Bug, Okay, how about this? https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=11523.msg141541#msg141541
« on: August 18, 2010, 09:23:55 pm »
So, I've been spending a little more time in the bugs section and noticed a lot of the same kinds of threads reporting a bug that isn't actually a bug.  So I decided to make a list to explain a few of these intended game mechanics.  I'll add more as I have time and come across more.  If you see your question on this list, read the explanation... and don't post the 'bug'... :)

Chimera + Twin Universe
Spoiler for Hidden:
"When I TU a chimera, my original one disappears."
"When I TU my opponent's chimera, I don’t get a copy of their chimera."

Chimera is a special passive ability.  There can only be one creature on your side of the field with this ability.  When a creature with this ability comes into play on your side, it sums all the attack and all the hit points for all your creatures and creates 1 creature with these stats.  Additionally the chimera is given momentum and gravity pull.
Since you can only have 1 creature with the chimera ability, when you TU a chimera, the first will disappear and be part of what creates the new chimera.  When you TU your opponent's chimera, you're still bringing a chimera into play on your side of the field, so only your creature's stats are summed to create the chimera.
Adrenaline + ?
Spoiler for Hidden:
"When I use adrenaline on my pufferfish, it only inflicts 2 poison instead of 4"
"When I use adrenaline on my pest, it only drains 2 quanta instead of 4"

There are a few abilities that aren’t triggered with every attack by a creature with adrenaline.  Devour (draining quanta) and venom (poisoning opponent) are two such abilities.  This is strictly to keep those card combinations from being overpowered.
Lobotomizer + Adrenaline
Spoiler for Hidden:
"I lobotomized a creature with adrenaline, but it's skill didn't go away."
"I can lobotomize momentum, but not adrenaline?  Bug!"

When a creature is targeted with adrenaline, it is not given a new active ability.  Adrenaline is a passive ability, and as such, can't be lobotomized.  Momentum, meanwhile, adds a (possibly second) active ability called "momentum", so it can be hit by lobotomize.
Antimatter + Eclipse
Spoiler for Hidden:
"When eclipse is destroyed, my antimattered vampire goes from -6/4 to -8/3"
When an eclipse comes into play, all darkness/death creatures get +2 attack and +1 hit points.  The creatures keep this buff as long as at least 1 eclipse is still in play.  When all eclipses are destroyed, all darkness/death creatures effectively get -2 attack and -1 hit points.  The antimattered creature with -6 attack still gets -2 attack.  Additionally if you re-antimatter your -8/3 vampire and play another eclipse, you'll end up with a 10/4 vampire.
Reflecting Shield + Poison
Spoiler for Hidden:
"My opponent's poison spells aren't reflected by my Jade Shield"
While it's not clear by the text on the cards, reflecting shields reflect direct damage spells (fire bolt, lightning, siphon life, etc.).  Poison, while a spell, is more of a damage over time spell.  If damage is done when you play the spell, it's a direct damage spell.  Poison waits until the attack phase to do the actual damage, so it's a damage over time spell.  I think the wording on the cards could be a little more clear, but poison going through a reflecting shield is intended behavior.
Holy Flash + Dark/Death Mark
Spoiler for Hidden:
"Holy Flash says it damages dark/death targets, but it doesn't damage my dark/death opponent."
"Holy flash kills a parasite but not a player with a darkness mark."

Holy Flash's damage ability only affects creatures.  Players are immune from it's damage, and as such, will always be healed by it.
Mark Cards
Spoiler for Hidden:
"This guy had x2 mark.  Isn't that hacking?"
"A PVP opponent played a mark of entropy like a pillar!"

In tournament play, there are several options for rewards.  You can either take a nymph, money, or a mark card, a rare card that cannot be gained through spins.  Unupgraded mark cards that match your mark will stack with it, allowing for x2 marks, while upgraded mark cards or off-element mark cards act like normal pillars.  Their only difference is aesthetic, at most being useful as a way to get around earthquake.
Frozen Weapon
Spoiler for Hidden:
"What the crap!  My weapon got frozen like a creature would!"
"Uhhh, my weapon has a weird hourglass on top of it and it won't do anything...."

Voodoo dolls move all effects on them to their opponent.  This mainly just applies to things like poison, but there are several other effects to note.  Things like freezing a voodoo doll and stopping it in time will do the same thing to your opponent, which will be represented by freezing/stunning the weapon.  This also works with several other effects.
Losing health due to Miracle
Spoiler for Hidden:
"I was going to get mastery, so I played miracle for the fun of it.  For some reason I didn't get mastery any more."
"I played miracle at full health and I went down to 99.  Is that a bug?"

The card miracle doesn't "heal" you, in the sense that it doesn't add health to you.  It more changes the amount of health you have to your max health minus 1 (usually 99).  That means your health will become 99 no matter if you currently have 100 health.
Losing attack due to burrow
Spoiler for Hidden:
"I played momentum on my shrieker, giving it 11 attack, but when I burrowed and unburrowed it only had 10 attack."
"My 9 attack creature burrowed to 4 and unburrowed to 8.  Why did it lose attack power?"

When you burrow a creature, it automatically rounds down it's attack power.  When the creature unburrows, the game merely doubles the burrowed creatures attack power, and doesn't restore the previous attack power.
Quirky Twin Universe
Spoiler for Hidden:
"I cast Twin Universe on a mutant, and I didn't get a copy."
"When I twin universe'd my opponent's chimera, not only did I not get an exact copy, but all my creatures died!  What the hell?!"

Twin Universe doesn't just copy the cards face stats, it also copies some of inactive abilities of the card.  In the instance of mutant, the passive ability "mutant" means there's some randomized aspects of it.  It gets a semi-randomized attack power and ability.  When you twin the mutant, you get a different semi-randomized attack power and ability.  With Chimera, the actual attack power of Chimera is X|Y.  When Chimera hits the field, it combines all of your creatures into one, where X was their total attack power, and Y was their total defense.  When you twin Chimera, it "hits the field" again, triggering the combining of all your creatures again.  Chimera does not retain it's old stats, twinning a Chimera on your side of the field won't double it's strength.
Dive + Twin Universe
Spoiler for Hidden:
When I Dive a creature and Twin Universe it the copy maintains it's attack! Isn't this a bug?!"
It is intended this way and merely a good synergy. The attack boost will disappear after the copy uses Dive.
Lobotomiser + ?
Spoiler for Hidden:
When my opponent lobotomizes my creature it cannot use the ability I give it right afterwards right away, unlike creatures without an ability that have been at least one turn on the field that haven't been lobotomized, why?
Although unexpected, the developer has stated to like it this way and will thus not be changed.
Protect Artifact + Flying Weapon
Spoiler for Hidden:
I just turned my protected Weapon into a creature, and now it's targetable, it should be untargetable!
It's intentional behavior that Weapons turn into the base weapon creature and are not affected by stuff like previously being protected.
Cannot build a new arena deck.
Spoiler for Hidden:
I have the same card as my current arena deck, and now I cannot build a new arena deck! This is a known non-bug. The Oracle card is to be added to add diversity to the arena, hence you are encouraged to build a new arena deck with a different card rather than building another one with the same card.
Sanctuary + Dissipation Shield
Spoiler for Hidden:
Sanctuary cancels dissipation shield it is intended to work this way and is not a bug.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 01:07:10 am by skotadi phobos »

Offline jmdt

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • jmdt is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.jmdt is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.jmdt is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.jmdt is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.jmdt is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.jmdt is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.
  • New to Elements
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday Cake
Re: Not-a-bug List https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=11523.msg141542#msg141542
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 09:26:59 pm »
Good idea CB.

guolin

Re: Not-a-bug List https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=11523.msg145032#msg145032
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 09:18:11 pm »
I cannot count how many times newbies have asked these four ridiculous questions. This thread is going to see a lot of redirects. :)

guolin

Re: Not-a-bug List https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=11523.msg145075#msg145075
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 10:17:55 pm »
Can you put one explaining that mirror shield reflects Damage only, but jade shield reflects all spells. I've heard uestions about this more than anything else.

Things like "HACKER, your mirror shield should have given me your miracle" get rather annoying when you repeatedly hear it.
That is incorrect. Jade Shield is the exact same thing as Mirror Shield, except it blocks one more damage both upped and unupped, and has a different quanta cost.

smuglapse

Re: Not-a-bug List https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=11523.msg145079#msg145079
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 10:20:36 pm »
Can you put one explaining that mirror shield reflects Damage only, but jade shield reflects all spells. I've heard uestions about this more than anything else.

Things like "HACKER, your mirror shield should have given me your miracle" get rather annoying when you repeatedly hear it.
Mirror and Jade Shield have the exact same skill: reflect.  They both reflect ONLY Fire Lance, Ice Lance, Siphon Life, Thunderbolt, and Unstable Gas.

Also a spell can only be reflected once.

Offline Hyroen

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 52
  • Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.
  • like. follow. tweet.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeWar #10 Winner - Team AirSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSilver DonorSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSkill of the Elemental : Mark of ProtectionWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: Not-a-bug List https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=11523.msg146305#msg146305
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 05:12:47 pm »
I think it's a wise idea to define what constitutes a bug.

From wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_bug):

A software bug is the common term used to describe an error, flaw, mistake, failure, or fault in a computer program or system that produces an incorrect or unexpected result, or causes it to behave in unintended ways.

In this sense, really anything that does not behave in intended ways would be a bug.
WAR X - TEAM :air AIR

[EtG Council]   |   [Card Ideas & Art]   |   [Guilds]

Offline TheonlyrealBeef

• Master of Darkness
  • Reputation Power: 61
  • TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!
  • Do not underestimate the power of the dark side!
  • Awards: War #14 Winner - Team Aether14th Trials - Master of Darkness2019 - PvP World ChampionSlice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeWar #13 Winner - Team Darkness13th Trials - Master of DarknessWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner4th Grandmaster Battle Winner - DarknessGold DonorSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWar #12 Winner - Team DarknessWeekly Tournament Winner12th Trials - Master of DarknessWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 9th Birthday Cake2017 - PvP World ChampionWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 3/2016 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeTeam PvP #4 Winner5th Trials - Master of Darkness4th Trials - Master of Darkness3rd Trials - Master of DarknessWeekly Tournament WinnerMS Paint Card Art #2 Winner
Re: Not-a-bug List https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=11523.msg146329#msg146329
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 05:53:45 pm »

Mirror and Jade Shield have the exact same skill: reflect.  They both reflect ONLY Fire Lance, Ice Lance, Siphon Life, Thunderbolt, and Unstable Gas.

Also a spell can only be reflected once.
Don't forget the (almost) unused Holy Flash :P
AI3 is (or was?) stupid enough to do so when having a reflective shield up ;D

smuglapse

Re: Not-a-bug List https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=11523.msg146457#msg146457
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 10:01:52 pm »
Holy Flash is no longer reflected:

Bug fix:
The AI should now be able to use "holy light" on itself even when using a reflective shield.

Offline TheonlyrealBeef

• Master of Darkness
  • Reputation Power: 61
  • TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!
  • Do not underestimate the power of the dark side!
  • Awards: War #14 Winner - Team Aether14th Trials - Master of Darkness2019 - PvP World ChampionSlice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeWar #13 Winner - Team Darkness13th Trials - Master of DarknessWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner4th Grandmaster Battle Winner - DarknessGold DonorSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWar #12 Winner - Team DarknessWeekly Tournament Winner12th Trials - Master of DarknessWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 9th Birthday Cake2017 - PvP World ChampionWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 3/2016 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeTeam PvP #4 Winner5th Trials - Master of Darkness4th Trials - Master of Darkness3rd Trials - Master of DarknessWeekly Tournament WinnerMS Paint Card Art #2 Winner
Re: Not-a-bug List https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=11523.msg146463#msg146463
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 10:18:30 pm »
Holy Flash is no longer reflected:

Bug fix:
The AI should now be able to use "holy light" on itself even when using a reflective shield.
Sorry, didn't know that, used to be, didn't notice the change because of the very reason it's easily overlooked :P

Offline Avenger

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • Avenger is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Avenger is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Avenger is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Avenger is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Avenger is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.
  • War veteran
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSilver DonorWar #8 Winner - Team FireWar #7 Winner - Team AetherWar #6 Winner - Team AetherWar #5 Winner - Team Aether
Re: Not-a-bug List https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=11523.msg159952#msg159952
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 10:12:35 am »
Add the rustler/shard of readiness feature to the not a bug list too, as seems it is not trivial for some.

Offline Ryli

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Ryli is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Ryli is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Ryli is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Ryli is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Ryli is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Ryli is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerElements League 3/2017 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 1/2017 3rd PlaceSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeIndium DonorArt Competition: Elemements
Re: Not-a-bug List https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=11523.msg159958#msg159958
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 11:21:41 am »
Add the rustler/shard of readiness feature to the not a bug list too, as seems it is not trivial for some.

why, what happens when you use rustler/shard of readiness?

smuglapse

Re: Not-a-bug List https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=11523.msg159980#msg159980
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 12:48:31 pm »
why, what happens when you use rustler/shard of readiness?
It makes it so you can only use the ability once per turn.  (So that you can't get infinite quanta)

anything
blarg: