*Author

Offline maverixk

• Reputation Power: 7
  • maverixk is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • I have an 'x' instead of a 'c'. I know you jellin'
Re: Jesus did not exist (link I found) https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=35781.msg453201#msg453201
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 12:30:48 am »
I think all these articles that are trying to prove or disprove any sort of God are complete waste of everyones time.

Everyone should just stop discussing religion, there is no way in hell anyone of us here can prove or disprove that Jesus existed. Whatever "so called" evidence we point out to eachother, whatever "known scholars" we point out to, we can just choose to dismiss it and not believe it. That's what you do if you don't agree with eachother, and it's complete, utter waste of time.

Seriously, guys. Better just leave it alone because these types of topics lead nowhere. What is this topic trying to achieve, even? It's just generating dispute.

To the people who are trying to prove God or Jesus doesn't exist, stop, you can't prove it.
To the people who are trying to prove God or Jesus exists, stop, you can't prove that either.

I've followed these types of topics before, many times, and the only thing everyone is doing in them is banging their heads against a wall.
The statement that we can't prove it one way or the other is, at least IMHO, is ignorant. How can we possibly know that we can't until we've gone through all the various options. And if we can just choose to dismiss evidence and not believe it, then any discussion on any topic is pointless as well.

I'm not saying Jesus did or did not exist, or a similar statement, I'm simply saying that the discussion(not specifically this thread) is not useless or pointless. On the contrary, it is quite helpful for some people(like me).
"Are you ... comparing me to God? I mean, that's great, but just so you know, I've never made a tree." -House

Offline OldTrees

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 114
  • OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • I was available for questions.
  • Awards: Brawl #2 Winner - Team FireTeam Card Design Winner
Re: Jesus did not exist (link I found) https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=35781.msg453214#msg453214
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 12:54:19 am »
I think all these articles that are trying to prove or disprove any sort of God are complete waste of everyones time.

Everyone should just stop discussing religion, there is no way in hell anyone of us here can prove or disprove that Jesus existed. Whatever "so called" evidence we point out to eachother, whatever "known scholars" we point out to, we can just choose to dismiss it and not believe it. That's what you do if you don't agree with eachother, and it's complete, utter waste of time.

Seriously, guys. Better just leave it alone because these types of topics lead nowhere. What is this topic trying to achieve, even? It's just generating dispute.

To the people who are trying to prove God or Jesus doesn't exist, stop, you can't prove it.
To the people who are trying to prove God or Jesus exists, stop, you can't prove that either.

I've followed these types of topics before, many times, and the only thing everyone is doing in them is banging their heads against a wall.
The statement that we can't prove it one way or the other is, at least IMHO, is ignorant. How can we possibly know that we can't until we've gone through all the various options. And if we can just choose to dismiss evidence and not believe it, then any discussion on any topic is pointless as well.

I'm not saying Jesus did or did not exist, or a similar statement, I'm simply saying that the discussion(not specifically this thread) is not useless or pointless. On the contrary, it is quite helpful for some people(like me).
The statement that we can't prove could itself be supported if the definition of God that was being used was such that it prevented evidence from existing regardless of whether it existed or not.

We can never prove or disprove the statement that there are more than 5 claims that cannot be proved nor disproved.
"It is common sense to listen to the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their readiness to listen to the wisdom of the fool."
"Nothing exists that cannot be countered." -OldTrees on indirect counters
Ask the Idea Guru: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32272.0.htm

Fractal

Re: Jesus did not exist (link I found) https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=35781.msg453289#msg453289
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 03:21:47 am »

Sure, I suppose discussion is helpful, but this is such a disputable subject in the world and "discussion" is usually just debating. It's always just two forces clashing against each other like morons.

The point is, no one can prove anything. You for example, cannot prove the validity of the website in question. You can base your claims on many things but that doesn't necessarily prove anything. You could say, that it's been researched by "researchers" who know what they are doing, but that's a very lousy point. Then you would just base your reasoning on someone's opinion. We can believe many things, yes, and many leaps of faith are necessary to acquire knowledge, but there is still NO FIRM PROOF.

What someone says on a website isn't proof. It's a opinion. It's disputable, it can be argued over and over again.
Even if the person says that a top level researcher has found this and this evidence, IT STILL stands as a claim of that person. Doesn't PROVE it. Who's to say that what he found is true? How the heck does this "researcher" guy suddenly know everything about everything that's happened?

You cannot prove such a thing like this. It's impossible. Just accept it. Things like gravity are easy to prove because we all feel and see it, but such things like God's existence or Jesus' existence, no way.

BTW - I'm a believer myself. I don't base my beliefs towards Jesus on sight and logic, instead I base it on my experiences. Mostly it's blind faith, you believe in something that you cannot really prove, but that's what faith is and that's the only way anyone is going to find God. I'm not here to try and convert you to Christianity, and am not trying to prove to you that God exists, but to me He does and always will.

Offline Neopergoss

• Reputation Power: 8
  • Neopergoss is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • New to Elements
Re: Jesus did not exist (link I found) https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=35781.msg453725#msg453725
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 05:30:11 am »
You cannot prove such a thing like this. It's impossible. Just accept it. Things like gravity are easy to prove because we all feel and see it, but such things like God's existence or Jesus' existence, no way.

BTW - I'm a believer myself. I don't base my beliefs towards Jesus on sight and logic, instead I base it on my experiences. Mostly it's blind faith, you believe in something that you cannot really prove, but that's what faith is and that's the only way anyone is going to find God. I'm not here to try and convert you to Christianity, and am not trying to prove to you that God exists, but to me He does and always will.
While I will concede that it's difficult to establish what happened in the distant past, I must take issue with the idea that all discussion is pointless. First of all, this thread is about history, not about God's existence. You seem to take a relativist view of things: there is no real truth beyond what we choose to perceive based on personal biases. Well call me naive, but I believe that truth can be established reliably by examining the evidence. I'm not surprised that the same person who was just speaking against discussion and research reveals himself shortly afterwards to be a believer.

Offline OldTrees

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 114
  • OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • I was available for questions.
  • Awards: Brawl #2 Winner - Team FireTeam Card Design Winner
Re: Jesus did not exist (link I found) https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=35781.msg453752#msg453752
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 06:52:08 am »
I agree with Neopergoss that discussion is not pointless.

Discussion does not always have to turn into debate. Even discussion about the unknowable can have a point.
"It is common sense to listen to the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their readiness to listen to the wisdom of the fool."
"Nothing exists that cannot be countered." -OldTrees on indirect counters
Ask the Idea Guru: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32272.0.htm

Offline blueberrymania

• Reputation Power: 3
  • blueberrymania is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • What's better than Antimatter? Not even Uncimatter
Re: Jesus did not exist (link I found) https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=35781.msg1004912#msg1004912
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2012, 12:37:46 am »
About the question about the Romans writing about a single person on the fringe of the Roman culture, they wouldn't. Furthermore, Israel was a rebellious part of the Roman empire, leaving stuff in that area even less desirable to write about (history is written by the victor- the Roman Empire won overall. Furthermore, if you want a modern example of undesirable to write about, check British textbooks about the American Revolution. There isn't much in there.) In other words, Jesus was a Jewish religious figure in an area that tended to be avoided in Roman writings.
ENTROPY is the ultimate force in demolition. Always present, it tries to steal our order.

And yes, this is based off of Vineroz's signature.

blarg: