*Author

IF your religion was proved to be incorrect, how would you change. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=12675.msg159951#msg159951
« on: September 17, 2010, 09:46:55 am »
This is a purely hypothetical question, to both religious people and athiests out there. Choose whichever question applies to you.

IF there was conclusive proof that God/gods/karma ect was not real, would you change the way you behaved/acted? Would you need something new to beleive in? Any other comments you feel are interesting should be posted.

Likewise, for Athiests, IF there was conclusive proof that one or more G/gods existed, how would you change your behaviour? Would you call upon him/her/them, or ignore them? And if so, what would you ask?

By conclusive proof I mean something like the Moon Landing. Most people beleive that man landed on the moon. There is proof man landed on the moon. There are arguments against it, and arguments against those arguments, but it is generally accepted that man did land on the moon. For the purposes of this question we will take it as a fact that man did land on the moon, but there are people who choose to disbeleive it (Therefore the knowledge is 100% conclusive but you can still choose to ignore it)

Please no posts saying 'but it won't happen'. This is purely hypothetical.
And for anyones interest, I am religious, and I also believe man landed on the moon  :P

Offline vrt

• Reputation Power: 40
  • vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.
  • Elitist Graphics Whore
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeBrawl #1 Winner - Team Nyan SharksSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeCard Art Competition 1st Place
Re: IF your religion was proved to be incorrect, how would you change. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=12675.msg159954#msg159954
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 10:59:48 am »
If a Christian God was proven to exist, I wouldn't be following him unless he came and apologised for all the shit he's caused.
So long and thanks for all the fish!

Offline Thalas

• Reputation Power: 14
  • Thalas is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.Thalas is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • New to Elements
Re: IF your religion was proved to be incorrect, how would you change. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=12675.msg159995#msg159995
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 01:34:47 pm »
If christian God (Hinduism, Islam or anything alike.) was proven to exist I would ignore him because living like he is telling to me isn't really living for me

If buddhism was proven I would maybe believe in it.

But can be religion proven?

Offline BluePriest

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 46
  • BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.
  • Entropy Has You
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 5th Birthday Cake
Re: IF your religion was proved to be incorrect, how would you change. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=12675.msg159997#msg159997
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 01:44:43 pm »
But can be religion proven?
not really the point of this thread...

So I really have 2 options to answering this thread... I could just sorta ignore it, and say
Thats where the true test of faith begins

or I could just say, I go about doing about the same things minus the church and prayer

Choose whichever you prefer
This sig was interrupted by Joe Biden

Offline Kuroaitou

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 82
  • Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeMaster of Mafia10th Trials - Master of TimeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSilver DonorSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: IF your religion was proved to be incorrect, how would you change. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=12675.msg160004#msg160004
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 02:02:03 pm »
>_>

I don't know...

Personally, if it was proven that 'God' did not exist (somehow, theoretically), then I'd probably keep on living the same way I normally do, except being a lot happier considering that I won't have people use religion against me in order to change attributes that cannot be changed (like my beliefs, or sexuality, or 'lifestyle', etc.). In addition to this, the removal of such theist beliefs would mean that churches and places of religious and sacred value would also then either be considered historical (more of a tourist attraction rather than a place of worship), or removed (replaced with increasingly practical buildings for technology and civilization), which may cause a slight outcry of one issue.

Morality.

I'd still try to live my life as ethical as possible, but I assume there will be some people who would lose the hope to live and be forced either to overcome it through various means ('virtual afterlife', physical/emotional compensations, etc.) or crumble under their own pressure and be unable to function. That would probably be quite a scary outcome.

Likewise, if it was proven that 'God' did exist, I'd probably keep on living the same way I normally do, but with contention and frustration. Why on earth would a divinity create certain events/laws/evils? It'd be even more frightening now than ever, because there would be an increase in religious belief (and coerced conversion), which would by definition also cause more tension against those who didn't want to believe in it (and therefore, everyone would be 'normalized' by believing in the 'God').

Free will is then partially removed if one wants to seek 'salvation' of their crimes, as then people would generally follow patterns to seek that final reward rather than figuring out and making decisions to find what they really want in life.

Since I'm agnostic, I tried to look at it in both ways, but if anything, I'd wonder more importantly what would happen if there was a God that was proven to exist... and by proven, it was only referred to in the past tense, in the case that said God was killed by some means. (like a FG XD)

Offline Daytripper

• Reputation Power: 6
  • Daytripper is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Transferred veteran
Re: IF your religion was proved to be incorrect, how would you change. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=12675.msg160030#msg160030
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 03:00:06 pm »
It does not change anything if ''some God'' were to exist. While I do not believe there is a God, there could, theoretically be a God. Moreover, I believe what we think we know about God cannot posssibly be all correct.

So, it should more be like: What if there is a God and some strict line of Christianity was correct?

Then the only thing to do can be:

1) Go the church with grandma from now on.
2) Pray to God and ask: ''Please take granddaddy out of hell, he didn't know.''
3) More praying in general.
4) And of course: Pray to God and beg: Please please pretty PLEASE let me die in peace and do not give me eternal life.
Shards aren't overpowered, as long as you have them yourself.

Sengiratolom

Re: IF your religion was proved to be incorrect, how would you change. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=12675.msg160037#msg160037
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 03:12:37 pm »
Feel greatly disapointed in whatever god there would be, tell it that it did a horrid job perserving the image it was said to project on earth.
Ask it why it made humans into a such pathetic animal (physically weak, slow, low defence, low endurance), ask its opinion about the crimes/wars/disease outbreaks that happened while it was watching and doing nothing.

Offline ratcharmer

• Reputation Power: 10
  • ratcharmer is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.ratcharmer is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • I'm back, it's been a while.
Re: IF your religion was proved to be incorrect, how would you change. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=12675.msg160043#msg160043
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 03:24:24 pm »
Well, my exact response would have to depend on exactly how my religion was disproven.

If Allah sent a message that being a Muslim is the only true religion, then I would apologize for my folly and start trying to learn about what I actually should have been doing all along.

If God was proven not to exist at all . . . I think I'd honestly have to check myself into a mental hospital. I've just seen/experienced to many things that can only be explained by either a) God exists or b) I've gone crazy.

. . . or at least I would once I recovered from the shock. Any life changing experience that major would take me some time to adjust to, and honestly my initial reaction to being proven wrong would probably be to double check and make sure it was legitimate.

Offline Korugar

• Reputation Power: 14
  • Korugar is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.Korugar is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • A sporadic participant who loves Gravity.
Re: IF your religion was proved to be incorrect, how would you change. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=12675.msg160049#msg160049
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 03:35:26 pm »
If it were proven that God didn't exist...I would probably learn all the skills possible towards self sufficiency, and then go live as a hermit since there would no longer be any hope for humanity.

miniwally

Re: IF your religion was proved to be incorrect, how would you change. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=12675.msg160194#msg160194
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 10:24:22 pm »
"gods like to see an atheist around. Gives them something to aim at."

Re: IF your religion was proved to be incorrect, how would you change. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=12675.msg160205#msg160205
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 10:40:29 pm »
I'm finding the results to this thread very interesting.

The Atheists seem to generally want to criticize God if he was real, not ask him for spiritual advice, or the meaning of the world ecetera.

The religious people (especially ratcharmer in this regard) seem to need something to beleive in. The religion we are born into is usually the one followed, maybe not at adulthood but perhaps later in life. However, I don't think it would really make a huge difference on our lives, if we all changed to a different religion, with similar ideals and morals.

For me, the question is if god is proved to be false.
I would probably feel very disillusioned, and see much more crime in the world (whether just through my mind, or if the realisation has sent the general population crazy).
I would probably go through two general moods
1) Make the best of what I've got (Instead of make the best of what God gave me)
2) Just fuck it. Whats the point?

I would probably alternate between the two, some days destroying, some days feeling guilty and fixing (by this I don't mean going out and bombing things, I mean smaller things such as breaking relationships, losing friends ect, and not trying or working in general life, and not taking care of myself/the things around me, and other days fixing what I nhave broken and trying to make the world a happier place)
However, I will always probabluy feel slightly empty inside.

Which is why I need religion. To me, it wouldn't make a huge difference if it turned out that God was just in my mind, as long as he gave me a purpose, or some reason to be. I'm not sure if I can speak for all other religious people with that though.

Offline Bloodshadow

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 46
  • Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.
  • 吞天纳地,魔渡众生。天下万物,唯我至尊。
  • Awards: Ultimate Profile WinnerOpposites Attract
Re: IF your religion was proved to be incorrect, how would you change. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=12675.msg161012#msg161012
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 06:52:13 am »
I would believe in anything as long as I can logically justify it. To me, logic, reason, causality, and determinism are absolute; I currently refuse to believe in any religion whatsoever because I cannot logically justify the existence of a God. I would believe in God if his existence is logically and scientifically proven.
To be or not to be, I can do both at once. Go learn quantum mechanics, n00b.

anything
blarg: