*Author

Offline maverixkTopic starter

• Reputation Power: 7
  • maverixk is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • I have an 'x' instead of a 'c'. I know you jellin'
God's Perfection https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28661.msg366304#msg366304
« on: July 15, 2011, 04:41:02 am »
Ok, so you can probably gather at what I'm going to say here from the title. However, I'm going to ask some questions, get some answers, and then go on.

Here are my questions(these are for those who believe in the God of the Torah/bible):
   1. Do you believe God to be perfect?
   2. Do you believe him to be...for lack of a better term: the physical(spiritual, whatever) embodiment of love?
   3. Do you believe that to be perfect, one must be not selfish?

Tomorrow, or whenever I get a couple of answers, I'll proceed.
"Are you ... comparing me to God? I mean, that's great, but just so you know, I've never made a tree." -House

Offline YoungSot

• Reputation Power: 18
  • YoungSot is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.YoungSot is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.YoungSot is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • SootySot!
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake5th Trials - Master of FireWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: God's Perfection https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28661.msg366325#msg366325
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 05:32:21 am »

1. Yes. He defines perfection (whatever He does, that is what perfection is).
2. Yes. He defines love.
3. To be perfect, you can not value what you want over what God wants. 

Offline OldTrees

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 114
  • OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • I was available for questions.
  • Awards: Brawl #2 Winner - Team FireTeam Card Design Winner
Re: God's Perfection https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28661.msg366348#msg366348
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 06:58:05 am »
2. Yes. He defines love.
1+3) For God to be perfect, it cannot value what God wants over what God wants. ???
Either you did not finish answering 3 or you definition of perfect is less useful when used to describe God.
"It is common sense to listen to the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their readiness to listen to the wisdom of the fool."
"Nothing exists that cannot be countered." -OldTrees on indirect counters
Ask the Idea Guru: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32272.0.htm

Offline Bloodshadow

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 46
  • Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.
  • 吞天纳地,魔渡众生。天下万物,唯我至尊。
  • Awards: Ultimate Profile WinnerOpposites Attract
Re: God's Perfection https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28661.msg366364#msg366364
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 07:57:37 am »
1. No.
2. No.
3. No. Perfection does not exist.
To be or not to be, I can do both at once. Go learn quantum mechanics, n00b.

Selvaria

Re: God's Perfection https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28661.msg366394#msg366394
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 10:31:26 am »
Ok, so you can probably gather at what I'm going to say here from the title. However, I'm going to ask some questions, get some answers, and then go on.

Here are my questions(these are for those who believe in the God of the Torah/bible):
   1. Do you believe God to be perfect?
   2. Do you believe him to be...for lack of a better term: the physical(spiritual, whatever) embodiment of love?
   3. Do you believe that to be perfect, one must be not selfish?

Tomorrow, or whenever I get a couple of answers, I'll proceed.
1. Maybe.
2. Definitely no, God is the embodiment of justice and law, not love. He does not love sinners and a**holes.
3. Yes, however depends on what constitutes as selfish.

Offline YoungSot

• Reputation Power: 18
  • YoungSot is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.YoungSot is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.YoungSot is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • SootySot!
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake5th Trials - Master of FireWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: God's Perfection https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28661.msg366487#msg366487
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 03:18:14 pm »
2. Yes. He defines love.
1+3) For God to be perfect, it cannot value what God wants over what God wants. ???
Correct.

Either you did not finish answering 3 or your definition of perfect is less useful when used to describe God.
I would define perfect as "without flaws". At the most basic level I would define a flaw as "an attribute that is contrary to God's will". As a result, perfection is defined by God, and thus He can't help but fit the definition. So yes, it's not very useful in describing God.

Re: God's Perfection https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28661.msg366491#msg366491
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 03:24:00 pm »
     Well, it seems I have gotten a couple of answers, so I guess I'll go on.
     I know that the generally accepted(in the christian world) view of God is that perfect, and that he is love.
     I think that we would all agree that if someone was extremely selfish, that they were pretty far from perfect.
     Well, God is extremely selfish. He put humanity through so much pain and suffering, (yes, he put humanity through that, He gave people the choice and made people in the way that they would choose un-perfectness. he could have made people differently, but he didn't. that is, assuming he exists. but that's not what we're talking about here.) and the only reason I can think of for putting humans through so much is so that he would feel better about the ones that came to him regardless of all the obstacles. I would say that's extremely selfish, and I for one am not the biggest fan of someone who would put me through all this just for his own personal gain. Not because my life sucks, but because the God that it seems people think he is could've made me to where I was perfect.

So, he defines love? Well if I remember correctly, people defined love in what is now known as 'The Love Chapter'. In there it says that love is not selfish. and yet God is. As close as I can figure, God is a lot more like us than we think. (assuming he exists, of course.)
"Are you ... comparing me to God? I mean, that's great, but just so you know, I've never made a tree." -House

Offline az4rel

• Reputation Power: 4
  • az4rel is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • New to Elements
Re: God's Perfection https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28661.msg366493#msg366493
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 03:26:33 pm »

1. Maybe.
2. Definitely no, God is the embodiment of justice and law, not love. He does not love sinners and a**holes.
3. Yes, however depends on what constitutes as selfish.
i assume you dont belive in the bible god. or havent read half of it.
as far as i'm corcerned we all are sinners (a guy with a beard said it on a Christmas movie)
well at least that explain why god made the world as it is. he hate us because we are a*sh0les.
how nice is believing.

Offline jmdt

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • jmdt is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.jmdt is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.jmdt is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.jmdt is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.jmdt is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.jmdt is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.
  • New to Elements
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday Cake
Re: God's Perfection https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28661.msg366498#msg366498
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 03:39:27 pm »
Tell your girlfriend or wife that some day.  Might as well tell her she's fat and getting wrinkles while you are at it, same effect.

When my stargazer lillies bloom, I consider that pretty much perfection.  They are truely beautiful.

As far as the premise of this post.  I believe God to be real.  I also believe God to be the embodiment of perfecion.  So by this line of reasoning, anything associated with God must be perfect.

Re: God's Perfection https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28661.msg366507#msg366507
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 03:45:55 pm »
Tell your girlfriend or wife that some day.  Might as well tell her she's fat and getting wrinkles while you are at it, same effect.

When my stargazer lillies bloom, I consider that pretty much perfection.  They are truely beautiful.
He meant true perfection, and I'm sure that they are beautiful, but I'm willing to bet that there's some imperfection.

Offline Nepycros

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.
  • My creativity was OP, so I had to nerf it.
Re: God's Perfection https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28661.msg366510#msg366510
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 03:47:37 pm »
Perfection is a limitation.
Perception is the source of misunderstanding.

Why, yes. I do have a Mindgate necklace. It's how I ninja everyone.

Offline tyranim

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 34
  • tyranim is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.tyranim is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.tyranim is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.tyranim is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.tyranim is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.tyranim is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.
  • formerly unit
Re: God's Perfection https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28661.msg366511#msg366511
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 03:48:36 pm »
1. no, no such thing as perfect
2. maybe, idk
3. no such thing as some one who is completely void of selfishness. those who do good things for good karma are selfish in the sense that they only do it for their own happiness.
my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard and they're like "its better than yours" damn right, its better than yours! i can teach you but i'd have to charge!

anything
blarg: