*Author

Offline TStar

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • TStar is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.TStar is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.TStar is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.TStar is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.TStar is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.
  • Highly Overrated
  • Awards: Beginners League 3/2011 WinnerKing of Underworld - War #4Weekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBeginners League 2/2011 WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBeginners League 1/2011 WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Raise the Stakes https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=23839.msg352312#msg352312
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 04:40:28 pm »
Any progress on a forum icon yet?
Carpe Diem!!

Offline RootRangerTopic starter

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 51
  • RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.
  • R A I N B R O S
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 13th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday Cake10th Trials - Master of FireElemental Conquest WinnerWriting Competition - Across(tic) the World of ElementsWeekly Tournament Winner1st Grandmaster Battle Winner - FireThere Can Be Only One - 2016 WinnerGold DonorChampionship League 2/2015 2nd Place9th Trials - Master of FireElements: A Game of Politics - WinnerEnder of War War #8 Winner - Team FireWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 1/2013 WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWar #4 Winner - Team DeathChampionship League 3/2011 3rd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBeginners League 2/2011 2nd PlaceWeekly PvP Tournament WinnerWeekly PvP Tournament WinnerBeginners League 1/2011 2nd PlaceWeekly PvP Tournament Winner
Re: Raise the Stakes https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=23839.msg352440#msg352440
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 09:47:56 pm »
The one you sent me is good, but I agree that a card-themed icon is better for another event.
I can't make anything until I'm home in two weeks. I'll try to make something when I'm home.
Somehow still around, somewhat

Offline TStar

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • TStar is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.TStar is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.TStar is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.TStar is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.TStar is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.
  • Highly Overrated
  • Awards: Beginners League 3/2011 WinnerKing of Underworld - War #4Weekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBeginners League 2/2011 WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBeginners League 1/2011 WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Raise the Stakes https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=23839.msg352461#msg352461
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 10:31:10 pm »
The one you sent me is good, but I agree that a card-themed icon is better for another event.
I can't make anything until I'm home in two weeks. I'll try to make something when I'm home.
I have no idea what I sent you anymore lol
Carpe Diem!!

• Legendary Member
  • RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.
  • R A I N B R O S
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 13th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday Cake10th Trials - Master of FireElemental Conquest WinnerWriting Competition - Across(tic) the World of ElementsWeekly Tournament Winner1st Grandmaster Battle Winner - FireThere Can Be Only One - 2016 WinnerGold DonorChampionship League 2/2015 2nd Place9th Trials - Master of FireElements: A Game of Politics - WinnerEnder of War War #8 Winner - Team FireWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 1/2013 WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWar #4 Winner - Team DeathChampionship League 3/2011 3rd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBeginners League 2/2011 2nd PlaceWeekly PvP Tournament WinnerWeekly PvP Tournament WinnerBeginners League 1/2011 2nd PlaceWeekly PvP Tournament Winner
Re: Raise the Stakes https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=23839.msg360203#msg360203
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2011, 05:54:39 pm »
Chat has voted on for the award icon.
I'm ready to run the event and the rules are finalized.

Re: Raise the Stakes - Rules https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=23839.msg375784#msg375784
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 08:46:32 am »
so, in round four if both players bid 8 elements, one will be eliminated and one has 12 elements, right?

• Legendary Member
  • R A I N B R O S
Re: Raise the Stakes - Rules https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=23839.msg375944#msg375944
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 06:13:40 pm »
so, in round four if both players bid 8 elements, one will be eliminated and one has 12 elements, right?
Probably. However, there is a chance that neither player will be eliminated. If a player with 1 Element and a Raise of 1 Element beats a player with 12 Elements and a Raise of 8 Elements, the winner will have 10 Elements and the loser will have 3. But by Round 5, it's like a single-elimination tournament between the few remaining players.

Offline Jaymanfu

• Reputation Power: 6
  • Jaymanfu is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Do or do not, there is no try
  • Awards: War #4 Winner - Team DeathWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Raise the Stakes - Rules https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=23839.msg376944#msg376944
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 08:55:29 pm »
The winner will gain Elements. The Elements gained are the sum of both Raises. The maximum amount of Elements a player may have is 12.
The loser will lose Elements. The Elements lost are the sum of both Raises. When a player has 0 Elements remaining, they are eliminated from the event.
For example, Player A had 4 Elements and placed 3. Player B had 8 Elements and placed 2. If Player A wins, he or she will then have 9 Elements and Player B will have 3. If Player B wins, he or she will then have 12 Elements and Player A will be eliminated.
It still seems like this is a little flawed... Im assuming the example is given in round 2. The example you gave doesn't really make sense because theres no reason that player A would bet less then 4 since even if both players bet 2 and he lost he'd be eliminated. So he might as well bet 4. Then player B would also know he was betting 4 and could calculate the best possible outcome for him. I also don't get why you lose more then bet. Unless im reading it wrong.
What if....
Since it still seems like its usually better to bid the minimum... what if for each raise you are above your opponent you get 1 upped card, but they still have the advantage of getting the sum of the bids.

example: player A bids 1, player B bids 2           player B would get the advantage of 1 upped card
                                                                           player A has the advantage of only bidding 1 while he could win 3

Just something I was thinking about anyways, feel free to correct me if I read that wrong.

• Legendary Member
  • R A I N B R O S
Re: Raise the Stakes - Rules https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=23839.msg376983#msg376983
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 10:18:58 pm »
It still seems like this is a little flawed... Im assuming the example is given in round 2. The example you gave doesn't really make sense because theres no reason that player A would bet less then 4 since even if both players bet 2 and he lost he'd be eliminated. So he might as well bet 4.
Yes, Player A should have placed 4 instead of 3, but the example is there to show the math of the Raise system, and not to give a likely situation.

Then player B would also know he was betting 4 and could calculate the best possible outcome for him.
This is correct, but there are many cases in the event when players need to judge the strength of their Draw in order to make an optimal bet. The Draw influences the Raise in all of Round 1 and some of Round 2 and Round 3.

I also don't get why you lose more then bet. Unless im reading it wrong.
Players can win or lose more than their Raise, but the current Raise system is the most balanced method.
Basically, there are 8 other possible options, but none of them work as well as the current method.
If players won their Raise and lost their Raise, then their opponent's Raise would have no impact on them.
If players won their Raise and lost their opponent's Raise, then the best option would always be to place the maximum Raise.
If players won their Raise and lost the sum of the two Raises, then players would run out of Elements too quickly.
If players won their opponent's Raise and lost their Raise, then the best option would always be to place the minimum Raise.
If players won their opponent's Raise and lost their opponent's Raise, then their own Raise would have no impact on them.
If players won their opponent's Raise and lost the sum of the two Raises, then players would run out of Elements too quickly.
If players won the sum of the two Raises and lost their Raise, then players would gain Elements too quickly.
If players won the sum of the two Raises and lost their opponent's Raise, then players would gain Elements too quickly.

What if....
Since it still seems like its usually better to bid the minimum...
Well, not really. In Round 1 and sometimes in Round 2/3, the optimal Raise depends on the Draw, and can sometimes be the maximum Raise for that round.

what if for each raise you are above your opponent you get 1 upped card, but they still have the advantage of getting the sum of the bids.

example: player A bids 1, player B bids 2           player B would get the advantage of 1 upped card
                                                                           player A has the advantage of only bidding 1 while he could win 3

Just something I was thinking about anyways, feel free to correct me if I read that wrong.
In that situation, Player A would not have any advantage. Even though Player A can win 3, Player A can also lose 3, despite only Raising 1.

Offline Jaymanfu

• Reputation Power: 6
  • Jaymanfu is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Do or do not, there is no try
  • Awards: War #4 Winner - Team DeathWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Raise the Stakes - Rules https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=23839.msg377013#msg377013
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2011, 11:23:32 pm »
In that last situation that was with the non randomness of betting 1 and losing 3 which it is now

Offline ninjaclone09

• Reputation Power: 4
  • ninjaclone09 is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • New to Elements
Re: Raise the Stakes - Rules https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=23839.msg446855#msg446855
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2012, 11:28:42 pm »
wow. this event looks really interesting, whens the next time we can signup?

• Legendary Member
  • R A I N B R O S
Re: Raise the Stakes - Rules https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=23839.msg446861#msg446861
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2012, 11:43:13 pm »
wow. this event looks really interesting, whens the next time we can signup?
Well, I don't think there will ever be a second Raise the Stakes.
The betting system is far from perfect, the RNG used often repeats card combos, and there isn't nearly as much interest in Raise the Stakes as there is in other events.
However, I have been thinking of ideas  for a new event that involves original deckbuilding and Element betting/stealing, like in Raise the Stakes.

anything
blarg: