*Author

Offline Zen_InethTopic starter

• Reputation Power: 1
  • Zen_Ineth is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Young Elemental
Deck idea for Scarab Rush. Suggestions welcome! https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=64395.msg1262496#msg1262496
« on: April 15, 2017, 12:47:54 am »
Alright, so I've been working on this deck for a while now. In fact, it's the first deck I had an idea for way back in 2011 when I saw people posting cool rainbow decks.

Hover over cards for details, click for permalink
Deck import code : [Select]
6qq 6qq 6qq 6qq 6qq 6qq 6qq 6qq 6qq 6qq 6qq 6qq 6qq 6qq 71b 71b 77c 77d 77d 77f 77f 7ai 7ai 7am 7am 7ba 7ba 7dm 7dm 7k2 7qa 7qa 7qa 7qa 7qa 7qa 7qu 7qu 7t9 7t9 80i 80i 8ps

The idea of this deck is simple: You get a small amount of scarabs strong, or you get a lot of them on the field. The theme is rooted strongly in "denial", where you use Deflags and Steals to quickly take out what you do or don't want, and you have a couple of Pulvys in there to supplement that, all while you have your scarabs munching on creatures. It's a strong deck when it gets rolling, but the main problem is that it's undone by denial as well. Denial of towers, denial of permanents, and denial of creatures/abilities really mess things up. Due to the larger deck size, which I've tried parsing, it can be slow to start, and bad hands just wreck you. Creature rush decks can also become problematic if you can't get the Scarab + Armor + SoR combo out in time.

As for deck ideas, I've thought of alternatives. I could always add in SoB to make the Scarab Rush more deadly, especially against high health opponents, but that would also increase deck size and prevent the rush from snowballing effectively. Same problem with Hourglasses. They'd help me draw the right cards more quickly, but I don't know what I'd take out to make them fit.

Any ideas?

Offline Aves

• Competition Organizer
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • Aves soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Aves soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Aves soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Aves soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Aves soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Aves soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Aves soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Aves soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.
  • ~Lorem Ipsum Dolor Sit Amet~
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 14th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeBest Looking Forum Profile Slice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeForum Brawl #6 Winner - The Tentacle's GripSilver DonorBattle League 2/2016 2nd PlaceWinner of Card Design War #3Slice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeBattle League 1/2016 1st PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWar #9 Winner - Team DarknessWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: Deck idea for Scarab Rush. Suggestions welcome! https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=64395.msg1262497#msg1262497
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 01:01:46 am »
Decks like this that are larger than 30 cards usually want to include some form of draw power, for consistency. You're thinking along the right track-- there's also Sundial for another source of draw power. As a bonus, it helps with stalling too. Cards like sundial or precognition are card-neutral in terms of draw, since you draw an extra card to make up for drawing that card. Shard of Bravery is actually better in that regard, with much better draw power.

Alternatively, a way to add draw power without increasing deck size by too much would be to get rid of the shards of gratitude-- 3 HP per turn isn't going to stall too well anyways.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 01:04:14 am by Aves »
:darkness War # 4, 9, 10
:darkness League of Shadows :darkness Brawl # 5

The Tentacle's Grip Brawl # 6

• Young Elemental
Re: Deck idea for Scarab Rush. Suggestions welcome! https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=64395.msg1262501#msg1262501
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 01:16:29 am »
Decks like this that are larger than 30 cards usually want to include some form of draw power, for consistency. You're thinking along the right track-- there's also Sundial for another source of draw power. As a bonus, it helps with stalling too. Cards like sundial or precognition are card-neutral in terms of draw, since you draw an extra card to make up for drawing that card. Shard of Bravery is actually better in that regard, with much better draw power.

Alternatively, a way to add draw power without increasing deck size by too much would be to get rid of the shards of gratitude-- 3 HP per turn isn't going to stall too well anyways.

Yeah, I had Shards of Divinity in there as well before I parsed the deck down from 48. I kinda feel like they're decent for Deflag/Steal bait, but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra deck size. Perhaps if I took them out and put in a couple of Hourglasses? I feel like three would be a good number, but I dunno what the critical efficiency for them is.

Offline mwaetht

• Reputation Power: 5
  • mwaetht is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • New to Elements
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday Cake
Re: Deck idea for Scarab Rush. Suggestions welcome! https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=64395.msg1262533#msg1262533
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 07:45:01 am »
Is Diamond Shield really all that good? Something like Permafrost Shield seems like it would be better in a vacuum, and on top of that, you have significant :earth consumption already. Alternatively, if it's only intended to serve as more of a temporary shield until you can set up a Bone Wall, Fog Shield seems like it would be better.

Can you really fuel Fractalled Scarabs off 14 quantum towers and a mark alone? It looks like :time would be pretty tight just to begin with, let alone once you throw in 2-3 Hourglasses on top.

I'd advise running an AoE effect like Fire Storm or Pandemonium; it plays well with Bone Wall and helps you stall before you get the scarab engine online.

• Young Elemental
Re: Deck idea for Scarab Rush. Suggestions welcome! https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=64395.msg1262597#msg1262597
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 03:33:06 am »
Is Diamond Shield really all that good? Something like Permafrost Shield seems like it would be better in a vacuum, and on top of that, you have significant :earth consumption already. Alternatively, if it's only intended to serve as more of a temporary shield until you can set up a Bone Wall, Fog Shield seems like it would be better.

Can you really fuel Fractalled Scarabs off 14 quantum towers and a mark alone? It looks like :time would be pretty tight just to begin with, let alone once you throw in 2-3 Hourglasses on top.

I'd advise running an AoE effect like Fire Storm or Pandemonium; it plays well with Bone Wall and helps you stall before you get the scarab engine online.

If I get enough quanta for an early Fractal, Time Quanta can be tight. I usually get to play the combo late enough to not worry about resources, but some Electrum Hourglasses would definitely dip into my pool too much. I want to make it work, but it'd hamper my effective strength. Perhaps if I put some SoB in there, I could get the draw strength I'm looking for, but then that would leave me a bit dry for Rain of Fires. As for that, I like the idea, definitely. Pandemoniums aren't really interesting to me, since they could negatively affect my own darling Scarabs.

Fog Shield would be cool, but I'm not sure I like the only 40% potential to miss, when Diamond Shield definitely mitigate 3 points of damage from each creature. It really helps to make low-cost, low-damage creature rushes ineffective. I'd be more open to trying a dusk shield, to be honest.

Of course, there's also my desire to put in -more- SoR to cut down on gravity consumption, so...it's a tricky balancing act.

Offline CactusKing

• Reputation Power: 11
  • CactusKing is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.CactusKing is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • I eat shriekers for breakfast
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeElements League 1/2018 2nd PlaceCard Design Competition - Rule BenderSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 8th Birthday Cake
Re: Deck idea for Scarab Rush. Suggestions welcome! https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=64395.msg1262831#msg1262831
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 06:37:44 am »
chuck in some earth pends and electrum hourglass maybe?
I spilt my blood against the :earth
         Just to see the world in colour.

Offline Absol

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 35
  • Absol is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Absol is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Absol is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Absol is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Absol is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Absol is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Absol is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.
  • Consectetur Adipiscing Elit
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: Deck idea for Scarab Rush. Suggestions welcome! https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=64395.msg1262836#msg1262836
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 10:29:59 am »
You might find this ancient deck semi-useful in getting ideas for your deck. http://elementscommunity.org/forum/rainbow-decks/nytu%27s-beginner-god-killer-(fg)-(unupped)-(1-14-*outdated*)/
"Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit."
"There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain."

blarg: