*Author

Active members:
The Oracle(1) Kuroaitou(1) Taparu(1) AlainJohns(1) 991woot119(1) popminikee(1) Memorystick(1) Jappert(1) TheCrazyMango(1) TheonlyrealBeef(1) coinich(1) YawnChainHow(1) Chromatophore(1) willng3(1) Seraph(1) Genuinous(1) kev(1) Pineapple(1) gumbeh(1) bogtro(1) agentflare(1) Legit(1) Tuff726(1) vrt(1) Noobiecakes(1) Cannibal7(1) Jocko(1) BumbleSting(1) Dragoon(1) Tiko(1) gomorycut(1) Pella(1) inthisroom(1) Atom_heart(1) godmatrix(1) Paddoo(1) xyan(1) ShrivelTwitch(1) eaglgenes101(1) xn0ize(1) kirbylover314(1) Ryli(1) shockcannon(1) Linkcat(1) Svenningen(2) killsdazombies(2) miniwally(2) artagas(2) ji412jo(2) lukce(2) Smokefree(2) guy_fawkes(2) Ekki(2) ddevans96(2) GG(2) UTAlan(2) atomiton(2) mesaprotector(2) salox(2) treebeard xiii(2) Annele(2) theelkspeaks(2) Zawadx(2) trashduke(2) phoenix1211(2) immortal feud(2) moehrpi(2) MasterWalks(2) lava golem(3) homoaddictus(3) nilsieboy(3) Deamon19(3) Gorthos(3) Silver(3) AnnaMall(3) ARTHANASIOS(3) Zso_Zso(3) Ginyu(3) Aves(3) CactusKing(3) TheOwner(4) DrunkDestroyer(4) vagman13(4) gocubbies1212(4) Xenocidius(4) Vineroz(4) Fippe94(4) Demut(5) calindu(5) worldwideweb3(5) JonathanCrazyJ(5) Kalinuial(5) justaburd(6) Scaredgirl(6) blackknight280(6) Blaze(6) Vindilos(6) Manuel(6) bojengles77(7) plastiqe(7) cccombobreaker(7) Odii Odsen(7) furballdn(8) Elbirn(8) regen2k9(10) DANIEELA(10) Demagog(11) Jen-i(11) RavingRabbid(11) Marsu(11) kaempfer13(14) Wyand(14) pikachufan2164(15) Onizuka(16) mrpaper(17) ralouf(18) Cheesy111(19) blarp(19) rob77dp(19) TStar(22) bucky1andonly(23) dragonsdemesne(23) Vangelios(33) RootRanger(34) Jenkar(40)

Offline Vindilos

• Reputation Power: 8
  • Vindilos is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Young Elemental
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner (2020.05.31.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.05.24.)Slice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeBronze DonorWeekly Tournament WinnerElements League 2/2018 3rd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner 03.06.18Weekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerElements League 1/2018 1st PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Elements PvP League - Suggestions and Feedback https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=7503.msg1280394#msg1280394
« Reply #624 on: September 13, 2018, 06:50:08 pm »
The lower required amount of games did get people to play a lot more games and got more people to play. At least I think it is a result of the lower requirements/less strict rules.
I fear less people will play if requirements/rules go up.

Wasn't there a bonus now for most games played btw?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 06:54:44 pm by Vindilos »
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Bunny combines well with onions, carrots and garlic.
(")_(") Copy and Paste Bunny to show your appreciation of a good meal!

Offline Wyand

• Tournament Organizer
  • Reputation Power: 36
  • Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.
  • Not So Young Elemental
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 14th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 13th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 12th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner (2020.12.27.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.11.15.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.10.11.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.10.04.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.09.14.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.09.05.)Slice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner 2020.1.1913th Trials - Master of EntropyWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerElements League 2/2019 3rd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerArt Competition - Winter Paint With Elements WinnerTeam Deckbuilding/Writing Competition - A Matter of Logistics WinnerArt Competition - Definitely A Card Design CompetitionSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Elements PvP League - Suggestions and Feedback https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=7503.msg1280395#msg1280395
« Reply #625 on: September 13, 2018, 07:58:53 pm »
You might be assuming that everyone has about the same chances to win or lose,

I didn't assume anything like that.

I guess your issue is that you are at 50% winrate yet equally matched with people who lost twice as often as they won, which may not intuitively feel fair.

No, that's not my issue. I might be a rara avis (oops, sorry Aves:) ), but I don't need any real life mindgating, I tell what's on my mind.
My current league standing doesn't bother me.

But this is getting off-topic. However, I'm always open to constructive exchange of views.
<---- A nice purple pie, shiny cups and a trio of cakes on a red platter, a box of candies and an ice cream cone on chocolate! :) Bon appétit!

"It's hard to detect good luck - it looks so much like something you've earned." - Frank A. Clark

Offline kaempfer13

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 44
  • kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.
  • Awards: There Can Only Be One - 2020 WinnerSlice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeOEtG Rags to Riches WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerElements League 3/2018 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerThere Can Be Only One - 2018 WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner12th Trials - Master of TimeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerElements League 2/2017 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWinner of Draft #4 - PvP EventSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerDeckbuilding Competition: It's Greek to MeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Elements PvP League - Suggestions and Feedback https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=7503.msg1280396#msg1280396
« Reply #626 on: September 13, 2018, 08:01:47 pm »
It's working as intended until proven otherwise. If you agree that winrate should factor into the scoring per match there is nothing inherently wrong with the elosystem.
:gravity War 10
:death and tied for master of STANDIN War 11
Master of :time War 12

Offline JonathanCrazyJ

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 65
  • JonathanCrazyJ walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.JonathanCrazyJ walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.JonathanCrazyJ walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.JonathanCrazyJ walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.JonathanCrazyJ walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.JonathanCrazyJ walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.JonathanCrazyJ walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.JonathanCrazyJ walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.JonathanCrazyJ walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.JonathanCrazyJ walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.JonathanCrazyJ walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.JonathanCrazyJ walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.JonathanCrazyJ walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.
  • Top-Decking Words
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWar #12 Winner - Team DarknessWinner of Team PvP #812th Trials - Master of WaterSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeDeckbuilding Competition - Hierarchy11th Trials - Master of WaterSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeCard Competition - Idea Factory EspionageForum Brawl #6 Winner - The Tentacle's GripChampionship League 3/2016 2nd PlaceWar #10 - Sportsmanship AwardWeekly Tournament Winner	 Writing Competition: Elemental Rap WarBattle League 2/2016 1st Place10th Trials - Master of WaterWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeDeckbuilding Competition - No Matter How Many Times You Save The World2015 - PvP World ChampionForum Brawl #5 Winner - Abyss BrawlersBattle League 3/2015 1st PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerCompetition - Result ModifiersSolved the Ruby Mansion MurderBattle League 2/2015 3rd PlaceCard Competition - When Life Gives You Art...Writing Competition - 6th Birthday PartySlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeBattle League 1/2015 2nd PlaceSilver Donor
Re: Elements PvP League - Suggestions and Feedback https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=7503.msg1280399#msg1280399
« Reply #627 on: September 13, 2018, 08:10:40 pm »
It's not just working, it's necessary.
Otherwise good players will only play the same bad players. Slowly, they get no games as the bad players only play eachother. Sorry Wyand, terrible idea to drop ELO
Competitions!
Competition Mailing Lists are a SERVICE TAILORED FOR YOU!
If you like any Competitions at all, check them out, we are here for you!

Offline Wyand

• Tournament Organizer
  • Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.
  • Not So Young Elemental
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 14th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 13th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 12th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner (2020.12.27.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.11.15.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.10.11.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.10.04.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.09.14.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.09.05.)Slice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner 2020.1.1913th Trials - Master of EntropyWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerElements League 2/2019 3rd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerArt Competition - Winter Paint With Elements WinnerTeam Deckbuilding/Writing Competition - A Matter of Logistics WinnerArt Competition - Definitely A Card Design CompetitionSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Elements PvP League - Suggestions and Feedback https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=7503.msg1280402#msg1280402
« Reply #628 on: September 13, 2018, 08:50:03 pm »
I'm going crazy... that's the punishment for not being silent. I was even warned. But silly me couldn't hold his piehole.
I feel like I'm in a Parallel Universe... but my opinion clearly hasn't been copied perfectly...

Ladies and gentlemen, let me introduce you something very exciting: LOGIC. And logical fallacies.

Our logical fallacy for today is the Strawman fallacy.

Let me quote myself:

Elo system is very good, but...

(...) I think that the rules should
encourage players to play against everyone regardless of Elo points.

I know that possible changes would make this "most relaxed competition" a bit more "scheduled", but the
situation really worries me. I really want to eliminate the "fear from possible low gain vs. high loss" thinking.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't use Elo system. It is good.
<---- A nice purple pie, shiny cups and a trio of cakes on a red platter, a box of candies and an ice cream cone on chocolate! :) Bon appétit!

"It's hard to detect good luck - it looks so much like something you've earned." - Frank A. Clark

Offline kaempfer13

• Legendary Member
  • kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.
  • Awards: There Can Only Be One - 2020 WinnerSlice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeOEtG Rags to Riches WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerElements League 3/2018 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerThere Can Be Only One - 2018 WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner12th Trials - Master of TimeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerElements League 2/2017 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWinner of Draft #4 - PvP EventSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerDeckbuilding Competition: It's Greek to MeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Elements PvP League - Suggestions and Feedback https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=7503.msg1280403#msg1280403
« Reply #629 on: September 13, 2018, 09:17:09 pm »
But what point are you even making then?

Elo strives to strike the perfect balance of odds of winning and change of rating as a result when a player performs better or worse than expected, weighted by the difficulty of the opponent. As such, the theoretical motivation to play each player should be the same (not accounting for ease of agreeing on rules, generally getting along, poor personal matchups, inaccurate rating (usually due to lack of games), not believing in different winrates and thus thinking going for the big fish is the best option).

Again, my point is:

I really want to eliminate the "fear from possible low gain vs. high loss" thinking.

I don't know the means I'm not experienced enough for that and I'm not an LO either.
This assumes that elo treats highly rated players unfairly or at least assumes they think that way. This comes back to how they should be able to win more often and thus make that fear unjustified, unless they simply got lucky before rather than win by skill (in which case they do deserve a lower rating than they have at the time, regardless of who they play against).

... Kinda feel that players are "forced" to play against higher Elo players, since if they lose against
a lower ranked player they can fall back badly. Sometimes I also have the idea that shouldn't play
against my less lucky fellows, and I should covet only bigger crowns. I know that there are others
that are gripping to their well-achieved position in the same way, so I think that the rules should
encourage players to play against everyone regardless of Elo points.

I know that possible changes would make this "most relaxed competition" a bit more "scheduled", but the
situation really worries me. I really want to eliminate the "fear from possible low gain vs. high loss" thinking.
I see the same point here, same thing applies.
It also mentions the other thing of substance that I can gather from what you wrote; you want players to play against as many diffferent players as possible.
I dont think anything in the rules stops people from doing so and personal strengths/weaknesses aside it shouldnt really change the end result much especially since beating up the same poor guy repeatedly gives diminishing returns (so in fact that fear of losing to a poorly rated guy encourages you to play different people, unless they do beat you or recover their rating from other players).

I tried really hard to extract any other points from what you wrote, but all I found was that you dont think I understand you.

Offline worldwideweb3

• Master of Air
  • Reputation Power: 63
  • worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 12th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner (2021.01.03.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.11.22.)14th Trials - Master of AirWeekly Tournament Winner (2020.06.28.)Weekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner (2020.05.03.)Elements League 3/2019 2nd PlaceSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeElements League 3/2018 1st PlaceWinner of Team PvP #812th Trials - Master of AetherElements: Academy WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerElements League 2/2017 3rd PlaceWinner of Draft #4 - PvP Event11th Trials - Master of FireBattle League 1/2017 1st PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League and Championship League 3/2016 1st PlaceChampionship League 2/2016 1st Place10th Trials - Master of GravityChampionship League 1/2016 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 3/2015 3rd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 1/2015 1st PlaceWar #8 Winner - Team FireBattle League 2/2014 2nd Place
Re: Elements PvP League - Suggestions and Feedback https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=7503.msg1280404#msg1280404
« Reply #630 on: September 13, 2018, 09:54:50 pm »
Wyand is basically saying that get people to play others even if they have low elo, as he feels some people look to mainly play against players with higher elo (to get more points). He isn’t saying elo is bad. This is what I understand anyways.
First player to become master of 3 different elements.
WC 2016 - #2. WC 2015 - #3 Devil's gate, Trinity, War #10, 12 lives - #2.
Avvy by rob77dp
Rightful winner of war #14 - Team Air

Offline Manuel

• Reputation Power: 23
  • Manuel is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.Manuel is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.Manuel is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.Manuel is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 14th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 13th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 12th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner12th Trials - Master of AirSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeBrawl #7 Winner - Green NightWeekly Tournament WinnerWar #11 Winner - Team LifeCard Design Competition - Help Wanted WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerCard Competition - ChampionSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Elements PvP League - Suggestions and Feedback https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=7503.msg1280405#msg1280405
« Reply #631 on: September 13, 2018, 10:05:33 pm »
yes he is saying pretty much this

fighting against someone with more elo so u got more or lose less points means u are smart, at one point players will develope a sort of strategy even if u put all the clauses/restrictions of the world

Offline rob77dp

• Master of Death
  • Reputation Power: 59
  • rob77dp is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.rob77dp is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.rob77dp is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.rob77dp is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.rob77dp is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.rob77dp is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.rob77dp is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.rob77dp is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.rob77dp is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.rob77dp is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.rob77dp is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.
  • Am I back?!? Time zone US Central -5/-6GMT
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 13th Birthday Cake14th Trials - Master of DeathWeekly Tournament Winner (2020.08.16.)Slice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWinner of Team PvP #812th Trials - Master of DeathWinner of 12 Lives #4Slice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeForum Brawl #6 Winner - The Tentacle's Grip10th Trials - Master of DeathWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeTeam Competition - The Spy Who EMed MeGold Donor9th Trials - Master of DeathSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday Cake7th Trials - Master of Death
Re: Elements PvP League - Suggestions and Feedback https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=7503.msg1280406#msg1280406
« Reply #632 on: September 13, 2018, 10:23:30 pm »
yes he is saying pretty much this

fighting against someone with more elo so u got more or lose less points means u are smart, at one point players will develope a sort of strategy even if u put all the clauses/restrictions of the world
This only benefits your own ELO rating if you win more than expected - which would mean you are winning more than expected against good players so it makes sense you get higher ranking. There is no ELO advantage, in a pool where players are playing a fair quantity of games, in only playing the high ranked players. The only advantage you could speak of comes in when you bring win percentage against opponents into play - which ELO already factors in!

I do think the ELO system and rules as-is are fine as it relates to who-plays-against-who. kaempfer's most recent post says it just right I think.
Death War #12/TBD TTG Brawl #6/1st Death War #10/9th GP Brawl #5/6th Death War #9/9th MoL Brawl #4/3rd Water War #8/7th DDD Brawl #3/3rd*Death War #7/5th*Death War #6/11th

Offline Wyand

• Tournament Organizer
  • Not So Young Elemental
Re: Elements PvP League - Suggestions and Feedback https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=7503.msg1280407#msg1280407
« Reply #633 on: September 13, 2018, 11:13:29 pm »
Wyand is basically saying that get people to play others even if they have low elo, as he feels some people look to mainly play against players with higher elo (to get more points). He isn’t saying elo is bad. This is what I understand anyways.

spot on, thank you, www3.

Offline Jen-i

• Reputation Power: 0
  • Jen-i hides under a Cloak.
  • Death to the Ninja!
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeElements League 2/2018 2nd PlaceSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 2/2014 3rd Place8th Trials - Master of LightWinner of SacrificeWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 1/2014 1st PlaceSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeWar #7 Winner - Team AetherWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeBest Sportsman - War #6Weekly Tournament WinnerWinner of Team PvP #514 Club - Most Expensive Players during War AuctionWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBrawl #1 Winner - Team Nyan SharksBeginners League 1/2012 3rd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 2/2011 3rd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 1/2011 3rd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Elements PvP League - Suggestions and Feedback https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=7503.msg1280417#msg1280417
« Reply #634 on: September 14, 2018, 03:35:46 am »

... Kinda feel that players are "forced" to play against higher Elo players, since if they lose against
a lower ranked player they can fall back badly.

It is true that playing highly ranked players gains more score and playing lower ranked players gains less score.

But unless you are also willing to argue that luck plays a vastly more important role than skill in the game it should also be true that your ELO ranking is representative of your skill in the game. (In fact this is the entire purpose of an ELO ranking system ... it's an effort to evaulate a player or teams skill)

If your ELO ranking is representative of predominantly skill (and not mostly luck) then it stands to reason that you have a higher chance of winning matches against players with a lower ELO score. Which should mean that playing players with a lower score should result in less points per match but with a higher win rate, and playing players with a higher score should result in higher points per match but a lower win rate.

So the incentive to play lower ranked players should be for the expected easier wins. And the incentive to player higher ranked players should be for the greater risk/reward of potentially higher points at the risk of a higher number of loses.

Sometimes I also have the idea that shouldn't play against my less lucky fellows, and I should covet only bigger crowns.

In my opinion the 'bigger crown' comes from the ranking at the end of the season rather than who you had to defeat along the way to get there. Again the assumption of ELO ranking is that given a sufficient number of games that your ranking is representative of your actual skill at the game. This is why there used to be a higher number of games required ... it forced enough games for ranking to roughly equate to skill.
[Not that I have any complaint over the reduction in the number of games if the result is more people playing in leagues.]

I know that there are others that are gripping to their well-achieved position in the same way, so I think that the rules should encourage players to play against everyone regardless of Elo points.

The strategy in an ELO based league is to play matches against players when their ELO ranking is higher than their actual skill. Because everyone enters a league with a ranking of 1500 this means that early in the season it is strategic to play against players you expect to fall in the rankings. Your wins against them are worth more points while their ranking is overinflated. It also means that you should wait until later in the season to play matches against the top players as their scores are artificially low early in the season and wins agains them will be worth more points later. However the removal of the 'max games per player' limit greater reduces the effect of this strategy.

Lux Kyrie

Offline kaempfer13

• Legendary Member
Re: Elements PvP League - Suggestions and Feedback https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=7503.msg1281698#msg1281698
« Reply #635 on: October 24, 2018, 05:30:44 pm »
Ok, its high time to discuss end of season and the next one.
This season will end on time, there were certainly enough plays to wrap things up on schedule, all prizes will be awarded. If you still need matches get them in quickly!

I think the only thing that requires discussion about end of season is how to roll the contribution prize. As you may recall, the contribution prize will be randomly awarded to one of the 3 players with the most matches. I think I will use chat dice (1d3) in the tournament room to determine the winner of that award, where 1 means the player with most matches gets it (2 second most, 3 thirdmost). I assume you 3 would like to be present while it happens? Let me know when you would be around!
Edit: Nope, there is another thing to discuss: a few people (usually the ones with 3 or less games) threaten to have over 50% of their matches against the same player. For the players with few games it kind of seems like a hassle to remove the extra games against the same player in retrospect. However those are also probably the players whose elo is the most inaccurate and as such, disregarding their games might give a more accurate overall result.

About next season: War is a factor to consider, but I think there is no real reason to just not count matches for leagues. If people are too busy i can extend the season, but the next league season should be up roundabout a week after this one ends. Just play whenever you feel like!
So, are there any rules you would like to see changed? Last season was a huge success, i assume largely because the rules are more relaxed than ever, so it'd be easy to just keep them as is, but let me know what you think.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 05:47:08 pm by kaempfer13 »

anything
blarg: Aves