*Author

Offline serprexTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • serprex hides under a Cloak.
  • Awards: War #12 Winner - Team Darkness
openEtG Event: Rags to Riches https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=67199.msg1289840#msg1289840
« on: May 26, 2019, 04:10:31 am »
openEtG Event: Rags to Riches - Rules
Original idea by: serprex   |   Developed by: serprex   |   Art by: serprex   |   Organized by: serprex

I'm so proud of us
For working our way out of the middle class ghetto
I'm so proud of us
We never stopped hustling to make our own shit break out

I'm so proud of us
We found a way out of our hometown shadow
I'm so proud of us
We haven't killed ourselves or even gotten strung out

I'm so proud to say we arrived
Or at the very least have survived anyway

Middle Class Ghetto, by of Montreal

1. HOW TO SIGN UP?

Anyone with a forum and a chat account can sign up for this event. Start by reading the rules very carefully. Then sign up by posting on a separate sign up topic. If you cannot find a sign up topic, or if it is locked, this event is not currently active, and you will have to wait for it to restart.

Maximum amount of participants for this event is *more than will join*. If the event is full, you can still sign up as a reserve player, and will get a chance to join the event if any of the *more than will join* players doesn't show up during Phase 1.

2. GETTING READY

*Get an openEtG account. May want to farm a bit to get use to the interface, but this event is designed that early rounds won't start out using expensive cards*

3. MATCH FORMAT

Each player plays one 5 game series each round. Players will be matched so that players with the most game wins so far will go against others with the most game wins

Decks may not use upgraded cards

Players begin the event with 5 common slots. At the end of the round, players may upgrade one of their rarity slots for each game they won

Rarity in oetg is the leftmost icon in the bottom right of the card
RarityColorShape
CommonGrayCircle
UncommonGreenSquare
RareBlueFour point star
ShardOrangeOctahedron
NymphPurpleEight point star

A deck may use an unlimited number of common cards. For each slot players may use up to 3 cards of that rarity or less in their deck. Once a player has used cards from an element for a second time during their match, they may not use any more cards from that element for the rest of the match

If a player fails to win at least two games, they are eliminated from the event

4. MATCHES

Players will have *7* days to make their matches happen. They must contact their opponents using a PM, and try to find a time that suits both. Please keep a copy of all PMs sent and received, in case the fight doesn't happen. If one player is clearly more active in trying to find a suitable time, they will receive the win. Event organizer will determine who the most active player was.

It's a good idea to either record the matches, or take screenshots as proof, in case something weird, like a desync error, happens. If there is a dispute in a game, PM all pertinent information to the Event Organizer and continue on with that duel. The EO will look at all the information and make a ruling. Remember, a player who gets caught cheating, will be permanently banned from all Elements community PvP events, so please play fair.

5. AFTER MATCHES

Post result to thread. After round post decks & slot upgrades. Illegal decks will result in a loss. If both decks were illegal the game is void

6. WINNER

First player to win 15 games. Or last player standing

If multiple players win on the same round, winner is whomever has most game wins, or else won most games against tying players, or else lost least games against tying players, or else single elimination Bo5s using one of each rarity slot

7. REWARDS

Going to leave this up to PvPO staff et al

« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 07:09:32 am by serprex »

• Administrator
Re: openEtG Event: From Rags to Riches https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=67199.msg1289841#msg1289841
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 04:44:16 am »
[03:47:06] ‹serprex› Anyone interested in writing up or hosting an oetg pvp event with me? Would be looking to host it sometime after June. Would go under "Post Your PvP Event Ideas Here". Maybe better to discuss on Discord
[04:12:01] ‹AveragePotato› The latest forum post is WIP openEtG Event: From Rags to Riches from serprex in Post Your PvP Event Ideas Here. It's okay, I guess.
[04:17:59] ‹dawn_to_dusk› That sounds fun
[04:18:47] ‹dawn_to_dusk› ‹@serprex› Would it be an idea, for early rounds, to have max 4 copies/card?
[04:18:56] ‹dawn_to_dusk› Or have it scale depending on rarity
[04:18:59] ‹dawn_to_dusk› Since boosters and such
[04:19:03] ‹serprex› ‹@dawn_to_dusk› rarity
[04:19:27] ‹serprex› ‹@dawn_to_dusk› So far wrote this much of rules "Players will have 4 opponents. They will play a Bo3 against those 4 players. If necessary players may face the same opponent in multiple matches in the same round Players begin the event with 5 commoner slots. At the end of the round they may upgrade ..."
[04:19:44] ‹dawn_to_dusk› Ahh
[04:19:50] ‹dawn_to_dusk› Sounds interesting
[04:19:51] ‹serprex› Doing some math to figure out how long it should take for someone to be able to "buy out" the tournament
[04:20:34] ‹serprex› Thinking win condition is having common/uncommon/rare/shard/nymph slots
[04:21:22] ‹serprex› If each won Bo3 goes towards that, then 4+3+2+1=10 wins necessary, so assuming the winner goes 3-1 usually, they'll win round 3 or round 4
[04:22:16] ‹serprex› Is that too short? Round per week makes that a month, & 4 matches per week is competing with War for number of matches, so probably best to keep it short
[04:24:38] ‹dawn_to_dusk› I honestly have no idea whatsoever
[04:30:31] ‹serprex› Might want to dampen early lead, players have to buy their slots, so 15 wins. Makes it so that one can't break out of commoner card pool too fast
[04:31:06] ‹serprex› Common cards are pretty solid, but having more options is itself an advantage, which would give quick lead from Round 1
[04:31:32] ‹InsignificantWeeaboo› ‹@serprex› Depending on how a part time job would work with my schedule, I might be able to help host/develop the event.
[04:31:55] ‹serprex› ‹@InsignificantWeeaboo› ty

woo, AveragePotato thinks this event seems okay

Simplified rules to plain "Win X matches" & players can upgrade slots however they want
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 04:52:40 am by serprex »

Offline iancudorinmarian

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 67
  • iancudorinmarian walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.iancudorinmarian walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.iancudorinmarian walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.iancudorinmarian walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.iancudorinmarian walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.iancudorinmarian walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.iancudorinmarian walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.iancudorinmarian walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.iancudorinmarian walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.iancudorinmarian walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.iancudorinmarian walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.iancudorinmarian walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.iancudorinmarian walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.
  • Master of Ponies.Eternally salty about War#11 SEC.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWar #12 Winner - Team Darkness12th Trials - Master of EntropyWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner11th Trials - Master of EntropySlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeWinner of TrinityWinner of Team PvP #710th Trials - Master of EntropySlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner9th Trials - Master of EntropyWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 5th Birthday Cake
Re: openEtG Event: Rags to Riches https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=67199.msg1289853#msg1289853
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 08:23:47 am »
I still have the tool for this which I never really got the time to finish. It's a php mess I wrote a few years ago, but I can send it to you and maybe you could finish it and adapt it for oEtG.

Offline kaempfer13

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 44
  • kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.
  • Awards: There Can Only Be One - 2020 WinnerSlice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeOEtG Rags to Riches WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerElements League 3/2018 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerThere Can Be Only One - 2018 WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner12th Trials - Master of TimeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerElements League 2/2017 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWinner of Draft #4 - PvP EventSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerDeckbuilding Competition: It's Greek to MeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: openEtG Event: Rags to Riches https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=67199.msg1289860#msg1289860
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 09:33:24 am »
This does not seem like the traditional rags to riches even though oetg pretty much supports the format; you could just make it so that players start with a cardbase of 10 common packs (for this event) and wins earn them more packs.

Only cards from those packs may be used for the event.
:gravity War 10
:death and tied for master of STANDIN War 11
Master of :time War 12

Offline Chapuz

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 72
  • Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.
  • The weird Voodoo guy
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeDeckbuilding Competition - Tower Defense WinnerSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeBrawl #1 Winner - Team Nyan Sharks
Re: openEtG Event: Rags to Riches https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=67199.msg1289868#msg1289868
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 12:56:56 am »
I would totally play this one.
4 BO3 matches per round, at a 50% win rate, are mean 18 rarity upgrades per round.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 01:29:05 am by Chapuz »
My Decks, Tutorial and Guides <~~~~~ Click Here ! ! !

• Administrator
Re: openEtG Event: Rags to Riches https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=67199.msg1289875#msg1289875
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 03:45:48 am »
For reference, I've collected rarities so one doesn't have to go through the rarities element by element in the oetg UI:
Common

Uncommon

Rare
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 04:48:08 am by serprex »

• Administrator
Re: openEtG Event: Rags to Riches https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=67199.msg1293156#msg1293156
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 07:07:24 am »
Based on feedback from RootRanger I've updated rules as follows:
  • Each round, have players play 1 5-game match instead of 4 Bo3s. Slot upgrades are then allocated per won game instead of won match. Basically 12 Lives style, except we care about winning, not not-losing
  • Because we're focused on winning, players aren't eliminated. The elimination mechanic I settled on is "If you don't win at least 2 games in your match, you're eliminated"
  • Since players potentially gain 5 "wins" per round instead of 4, the event's win condition is raised from 12 wins to 15 wins

blarg: serprex,AveragePotato,RootRanger