*Author

Offline NeopergossTopic starter

• Reputation Power: 8
  • Neopergoss is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • New to Elements
Occupy Wall Street https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=34322.msg432904#msg432904
« on: November 30, 2011, 06:39:38 pm »
What is your opinion of this group? Have you been to an occupation? I'm curious to hear the opinions of people from other countries as well. What do you think the movement's about?

I think it's the best thing to happen to American politics in my lifetime. I've been to Occupy Houston many times. This movement is about ordinary citizens taking a stand against corporate corruption. It has a left-wing bent as well, so things like the environment and human rights get talked about a lot as well. I'd be happy to provide more detail if anyone's interested, but I mostly want to hear what everyone else has to say.

WE ARE THE 99%

Offline UTAlan

• Reputation Power: 58
  • UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.
  • Immortally Aether
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeReviver of the WikiWar #6 Winner - Team AetherSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSecond Budosei of BudokanSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Occupy Wall Street https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=34322.msg432911#msg432911
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 07:13:23 pm »
I visited Occupy Dallas a month or so again and...well, I was unimpressed. Everybody I talked to had different reasons for being there, nobody had any proposed solutions, and almost all of them came across as a little crazy. I won't hold that last one against the movement as a whole, but the lack of a clear purpose or any useful solutions leaves me asking "Why?".

Offline darkrobe

• Reputation Power: 12
  • darkrobe is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.darkrobe is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
Re: Occupy Wall Street https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=34322.msg432932#msg432932
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 07:35:50 pm »
i was wondering when someone would post about them. im interested to hear what people have to say too.

Offline dragonsdemesne

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 63
  • dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!
  • Leeeeeeeeeeroyyyyyyyyy....
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 1/2014 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 3/2013 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 2/2013 WinnerBattle League 1/2013 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 3/2012 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 2/2012 3rd Place
Re: Occupy Wall Street https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=34322.msg432955#msg432955
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 08:32:54 pm »
I think the Occupy movement is well-meaning and has some good points; I agree that there are some serious issues with corporate power.  However, I think that their actions are about as useful as pissing on a forest fire; it just isn't going to help.  The rich people are either not listening, don't care, or think it's all a big joke.  I had a conversation on another game with a rich person about this and... let's just say that he simply could not relate to the issues at hand at all, and I suspect he was quite typical of the "1%".

Offline Belthus

• Reputation Power: 1
  • Belthus is a Spark waiting for a buff.
Re: Occupy Wall Street https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=34322.msg432970#msg432970
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 09:02:07 pm »
However, I think that their actions are about as useful as pissing on a forest fire; it just isn't going to help.  The rich people are either not listening, don't care, or think it's all a big joke.
It's not about persuading the 1% - though some of them, like Warren Buffett, do think that the economic system has become grossly unfair. When there is a change in the way most people think, then the people in power will adjust to that new way or be swept aside. Think of the sexual revolution. Some people don't like it, but who can put that genie back in the bottle?

Offline artimies7

• Reputation Power: 24
  • artimies7 is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.artimies7 is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.artimies7 is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.artimies7 is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.
  • Effectively Super
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday Cake
Re: Occupy Wall Street https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=34322.msg432983#msg432983
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 09:35:35 pm »
This is an example of the pure power of human communication and willpower. A great learning tool and a massive power against anything, yes.

But one thing's wrong. They need to do something. Then they will get somewhere.
Donuts, Noodles, or Bacon?
Whitewalleries! | Noodles, to Victory!

Offline Onizuka

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Onizuka hides under a Cloak.
  • Donuts!
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday Cake1st Person to Escape the TempleSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeChampionship League 2/2012 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeWinner of the Harry Potter PvP House Cup - HoH5th Trials - Master of EntropyWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: Occupy Wall Street https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=34322.msg432992#msg432992
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 09:58:03 pm »
I've been to Zuccotti park a few times and spoken with some people there, and while I agree with the overall agenda that I heard, I can't say that I'm thoroughly impressed with the movement as a whole. Too many people seemed to have outlying agendas.

While this movement has received worldwide attention, spawning other occupy movements as well, its fairly disorganized for the most part. I was severely unimpressed with the people at least representing the movement regarding the sexual assault that occurred there, leaving it for the victims themselves to report instead of going forward and reporting it. It seemed to me that they needed media attention to do anything about it (see: female only sleep zone).

I disagreed with how the money seemed to be flowing through the protests, as from what I read was that other Occupy movements weren't receiving enough support. I disagreed with their day of actions that caused more trouble than it was seemingly worth. I saw people that were all for it go against it  due to the trouble that the movement continually caused them.

You're just as selfish as I am. You're just not as good at it yet.

Offline nerd1

• Reputation Power: 15
  • nerd1 is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.nerd1 is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.nerd1 is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • kind of active
Re: Occupy Wall Street https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=34322.msg432998#msg432998
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 10:17:35 pm »
personally, I agree with their stated motive, however, i think if these people were so unjustly treated and they were good at their job it won't be to hard to get a new job, there are lots of jobs on the market, and while not all of them are the dream job they were dreaming of working in them would still be more time-effective than protesting.
The laziest elements player this side of one thousand posts.

Uppercut

Re: Occupy Wall Street https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=34322.msg433012#msg433012
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 10:53:45 pm »
there are lots of jobs on the market
No, the problem is that literally there aren't enough jobs. All the money is stuck at the top, when only 1% of everyone is capable of making demand there is no reason to supply, if there is no reason to supply the jobs go away. The reason OWS exists in the first place is because there aren't enough jobs because the middle and lower class don't have enough money to make them.

Moderator Comment Personal attacks are not part of a civil discussion.

Offline UTAlan

• Reputation Power: 58
  • UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.
  • Immortally Aether
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeReviver of the WikiWar #6 Winner - Team AetherSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSecond Budosei of BudokanSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Occupy Wall Street https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=34322.msg433013#msg433013
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 11:02:51 pm »
there are lots of jobs on the market
No, you moron, the problem is that literally there aren't enough jobs. All the money is stuck at the top, when only 1% of everyone is capable of making demand there is no reason to supply, if there is no reason to supply the jobs go away. The reason OWS exists in the first place is because there aren't enough jobs because the middle and lower class don't have enough money to make them.
Name calling isn't necessary.

Also, that's one of many reasons OWS appears to exist, which is one of its biggest problems. Nobody can agree what it is even about.

Offline nerd1

• Reputation Power: 15
  • nerd1 is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.nerd1 is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.nerd1 is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • kind of active
Re: Occupy Wall Street https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=34322.msg433015#msg433015
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 11:05:17 pm »
i never said they were appealing jobs, and while people might think themselves above them, if they really needed money they could do them (note, I'm not talking about prostitution or being a stripper, I mean things like working at a fast food resturaunt- you may not like it but you could do it.) I don't mean to say we're swimming in jobs- it is harder to get a job than it used to, but you can still get a job.
The laziest elements player this side of one thousand posts.

Offline Belthus

• Reputation Power: 1
  • Belthus is a Spark waiting for a buff.
Re: Occupy Wall Street https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=34322.msg433036#msg433036
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 11:43:20 pm »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

anything
blarg: