*Author

Words to live by. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=27484.msg349750#msg349750
« on: June 11, 2011, 10:34:00 pm »
As the title suggests, I would like to know what mantra you (the reader) live your life by. A simple sentence of words, in any language, that act as guidelines for your entire way of life. I would like to hear examples, too, and all ideas are open to discussion.

As for myself, my mantra is "Better Safe Than Sorry." I myself do not believe in a Heaven, Hell, God, Devil, Afterlife, reincarnation, or anything of the sort, and yet, I find myself living a somewhat virtuous in the event that I may be wrong. Likewise, I do not believe in Karma, but I help people in need, donate to charity, give when I am able, just in case. There are plenty of other examples, I'm sure, but these are just a few of the "Better Safe Than Sorry" things that I do.

As I implied before, I'm curious to know what other mantras people live their lives by. Perhaps there is another out there that will open my own eyes, as well as someone else's, to another way of life that was never considered. Or perhaps no one will respond because I'm one of a strict few that actually do this. Who knows?

Re: Words to live by. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=27484.msg349766#msg349766
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 10:55:30 pm »
I don't really have a mantra but Gandhi's "be the change you want to see in the world" is a good one that is pretty in-line with how i try to live.  I wish i was a bit more of a "seize the day" person but, alas, i find myself gravitating more towards "live and let live" (which isn't so bad).  I guess what i'm saying is, if i do have a mantra, it probably changes from day to day.

Offline Bloodshadow

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 46
  • Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.
  • 吞天纳地,魔渡众生。天下万物,唯我至尊。
  • Awards: Ultimate Profile WinnerOpposites Attract
Re: Words to live by. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=27484.msg349788#msg349788
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 11:16:40 pm »
I'm not sure about my mantra, but it would probably be this:

"The meaning of life is to find the meaning of life."

Interpret it in any way you want.
To be or not to be, I can do both at once. Go learn quantum mechanics, n00b.

Offline OldTrees

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 114
  • OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • I was available for questions.
  • Awards: Brawl #2 Winner - Team FireTeam Card Design Winner
Re: Words to live by. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=27484.msg349791#msg349791
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 11:22:02 pm »
"Ought implies Can" (An impossible moral imperative is useless)
"Ought Not implies Can" (An unavoidable moral imperative is an assurance not an imperative)
This is the foundation I attempt to build my ethics from.

n->inf "[I believe]n I know not."
The reason for such an incomplete basis above.

Edit:
I forgot an original of mine
"It is common sense to heed the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their eagerness to heed the wisdom of the fool."
"It is common sense to listen to the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their readiness to listen to the wisdom of the fool."
"Nothing exists that cannot be countered." -OldTrees on indirect counters
Ask the Idea Guru: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32272.0.htm

Re: Words to live by. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=27484.msg349803#msg349803
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 11:46:38 pm »
I would also like to add another line of mine. Though I do not live my life by it, I embrace it with restraint: "To Each His Own." What I mean by "with restraint" is that I'll accept people for who they are and what they believe, as long as they do the same, or at least do not encroach on others' beliefs or person.

Offline Camoninja

• Reputation Power: 7
  • Camoninja is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • failed quitter
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: Words to live by. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=27484.msg349806#msg349806
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 11:55:48 pm »
I live by "Hakuna Matata" and "Don't Worry, Be Happy."

Suppose you perform. People can tell if you're nervous and uptight, and on the other side if you enjoy what you do the happiness will spread.

Suppose you're in an argument. If you get too far into it, it's because you're worried nobody sees your opinion and they aren't listening, or you're worried you might be wrong and look like an idiot.

Offline Essence

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 57
  • Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.
  • Voice of the Oracle -- Jezzie's Pimp -- Often Gone
  • Awards: 2nd Trials - Master of Water1st Trials - Master of WaterFG Deck-Designer - The OutcastsShard Madness! Competition WinnerEpic 3 Card Design Competition WinnerElder Recruiter
Re: Words to live by. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=27484.msg349815#msg349815
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 12:29:28 am »
"Credendo Vides" -- Believing is Seeing.  People see what they want to believe, regardless of external circumstances.  Alternately, if you have faith, you will come to see those things you have faith in.  It's both a cynical dismissal of all of those other people who believe things I don't, and a comprehensive way to internally validate my own belief structure.  How can you go wrong?
If something happens and you think it deserves my attention, feel free to PM me. Other than that, I'm probably here if you want to shoot the breeze.

Offline Rutarete

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 72
  • Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.
  • Creativity should be nurtured.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeRuby Shard of DeckbuildingSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: Words to live by. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=27484.msg349830#msg349830
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 01:06:54 am »
I've got 2 lines; the first is from Break, by 3 Days Grace:
"If you can't stand the way this place is, take yourself to higher places"
Meaning, in a much simplified way, if you don't like something, change it.

The second is one i came up with:
The purpose of life is the choice to live.
Meaning to me that everything is a choice.
It is the greatest mystery of all...
Rutarete: Roo tah reh teh
[22:50] <Jyi> meaning gets lost in translation... even in the same language.
My Decks

Astrocyte

Re: Words to live by. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=27484.msg349845#msg349845
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 02:17:53 am »
Something that one of my mom's elderly patients (she's a nurse) told her once:
"Nobody ever put on their tombstone 'I wish I'd eaten more salad.' "
Yeah, it's better for your health to eat salad instead of cheeseburgers, but life's no fun if you never eat a cheeseburger.
As far as we know, we only get one life. It's too short to spend all of it being practical and worrying about what you ought to do.

And:
"The best things in life aren't things."
The things you own can break or burn or be taken away from you. Money comes and goes too.
But your memories and your experiences always stay with you. The relationships you share with friends and family stay with you. Those are the important things.

Offline EvaRia

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 45
  • EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.
  • I~am~Eva, ~Chillwind~ I~am~Ria, ~Searwind~
  • Awards: War #5 Winner - Team Aether
Re: Words to live by. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=27484.msg349861#msg349861
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 02:49:13 am »
"It doesn't have to work like that."
I go through my life like this. Inconsistencies, loopholes, failures in logic, my mind pushes everything to the breaking point and I spot them right away.
I'm contrary by nature and this line pretty much defines the way my mind works and the way I approach problems.

On my more philosophical side,

"It's only if you decide it is."
Perspective means everything. Everything sees things differently, and view the world differently. To you, the world only works the way it does because that's what you've decided.

However, others may not agree with you.

Offline Thalas

• Reputation Power: 14
  • Thalas is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.Thalas is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • New to Elements
Re: Words to live by. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=27484.msg349938#msg349938
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 08:06:29 am »
"We fulfil our needs and dreams, be it mental or physical, to live.
  We live to fulfil our needs or dreams"

Offline Neopergoss

• Reputation Power: 8
  • Neopergoss is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • New to Elements
Re: Words to live by. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=27484.msg349992#msg349992
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 03:16:49 pm »
"Evil is its own punishment, righteousness its own reward."

Btw, I like the Gandhi one above. Gandhi rules.

edit: #500!!!

anything
blarg: