*Author

Re: Faith. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=27460.msg349612#msg349612
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 06:11:29 pm »
Faith is a cause for belief. It is the belief that is the creative part. Large numbers of people believing in the same deity gives Religion its power. Large number of people believing in Someone helps restores that person's self-esteem. Someone believing in electromagnetism allowed us to benefit from lots of technology.
I see it the opposite way.  The distinction i would make between belief and faith is that belief is a more general term that applies to any sort of adherence to an idea, usually (but not always) based in reason, wheras faith is a particular kind of belief predicated on making a leap based on intuition or postitive thinking.

For the rest of this i will use "belief" to mean a belief based in reason, to keep it distinct from faith.

A belief is not creative but merely an understanding of facts.  A belief in electromagnetism is because one has seen electromagnetism at work, has performed experiments that have been consistent with a hypothesis that electromagnetism is a real force (or wave or whatever it is).

Before those experiments, all anybody could have was a faith in electromagnestism, and it was that faith that created the experiments that led to the belief (and to the real-world applications).

Not trying to say you are wrong but those are my understandings of the terms.

New question: when (if ever) is it appropriate or "good" to have faith in something?

Offline OldTrees

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 114
  • OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • I was available for questions.
  • Awards: Brawl #2 Winner - Team FireTeam Card Design Winner
Re: Faith. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=27460.msg349624#msg349624
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 06:20:52 pm »
-snip-

For the rest of this i will use "belief" to mean a belief based in reason, to keep it distinct from faith.

A belief is not creative but merely an understanding of facts.  A belief in electromagnetism is because one has seen electromagnetism at work, has performed experiments that have been consistent with a hypothesis that electromagnetism is a real force (or wave or whatever it is).

Before those experiments, all anybody could have was a faith in electromagnestism, and it was that faith that created the experiments that led to the belief (and to the real-world applications).

Not trying to say you are wrong but those are my understandings of the terms.

New question: when (if ever) is it appropriate or "good" to have faith in something?
The creative power of the belief (my definition) does not dissipate when it changes from faith to belief (your definition). This is my point.

It is very good, i hope, to have faith that this reality is a logical reality. Without this leap of faith we would not have an ability to determine truth.
Other realities that I hope it is good to have faith in include: moral, non deterministic, and fair[rules not results].
"It is common sense to listen to the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their readiness to listen to the wisdom of the fool."
"Nothing exists that cannot be countered." -OldTrees on indirect counters
Ask the Idea Guru: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32272.0.htm

Re: Faith. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=27460.msg349649#msg349649
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 06:52:16 pm »
Faith becomes dangerous when one has faith in something only because someone else has told them to.  For example, i think when religions were first founded, having faith in something was very positive.  Believing in a story gave meaning to your life and a reason to act in a moral way.  In many cases, this is still true today.

But in other cases, people have faith in their religion only becuase they are born into it and in many cases pretty much forced to believe in it.  This to me is when things turn scary.  People are taken advantage of because they are indoctrinated into a religion.

In terms of having faith in a person, i believe in giving people second chances but i guess everyone has to decide for themselves where to draw the line.  Some people have seemingly infinite patience and can keep allowing chances for redemption but for others its harder and they need to say enough is enough after a while and say that one's a lost cause.

Re: Faith. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=27460.msg349745#msg349745
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2011, 10:26:40 pm »
I thank all of you for providing insight into the mysteries of "faith." Time to move on to yet another one of my philosphical questions.

anything
blarg: