*Author

Offline NepycrosTopic starter

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.
  • My creativity was OP, so I had to nerf it.
Complexity of Intelligent Life https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29730.msg378174#msg378174
« on: August 09, 2011, 10:12:24 pm »
I have an idea... not even a hypothesis. It's not nearly thought out well enough to be considered a viable option. Which is why I bring it to this community, so they can pick at it and it will hopefully evolve to become a theory. Hell, if this happens to be a theory already put forward, I'll just stop after its existence is shown, but until then...

The complexity of intelligent life is proportional to the complexity of the universe it occupies.

I don't mean the margin of differences between the complexity of the most standard cell, and the most complex. I refer to how intelligent life would ultimately be more or less complex, if the laws of physics in this universe were different by either more complex, or less complex means. My reasoning?

Our brains are orchestrated so we can directly interact with the universe. If the universe functioned under different laws, but our brains remained unchanged, our ability to interact with it would be diminished. However, this is hypothetical. In my example, the entire universe, since the beginning of time, has functioned under different laws of physics. Because of the massive amount of time give, life has occurred and resulted in organisms that evolve (bear with me, evolution nay-sayers. Hypothetical situation ish hypothetical) into intelligent life forms. I believe that their ability to process information would be completely foreign to our own, so as to interact with the universe.

Anthropic principle? I discount it.

Please discuss, and if I'm just blowing smoke, or repeating an ancient argument, please tell me and I'll just end this outright. Or, if I've said it, but it's still a topic for conversation, I'll leave it at that.
Perception is the source of misunderstanding.

Why, yes. I do have a Mindgate necklace. It's how I ninja everyone.

Offline maverixk

• Reputation Power: 7
  • maverixk is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • I have an 'x' instead of a 'c'. I know you jellin'
Re: Complexity of Intelligent Life https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29730.msg378190#msg378190
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 10:27:24 pm »
So what you're saying, is if the universe were different, the life in that universe would be different? :P Different universe ish different.
"Are you ... comparing me to God? I mean, that's great, but just so you know, I've never made a tree." -House

• Legendary Member
  • Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.
Re: Complexity of Intelligent Life https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29730.msg378191#msg378191
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 10:28:48 pm »
So what you're saying, is if the universe were different, the life in that universe would be different? :P Different universe ish different.
Naturally. Not just different, the way they behaved would be under the laws of the universe they inhabit. Everything would be correctly proportioned according to the universe. Life is made to match the universe it inhabits.

Offline maverixk

Re: Complexity of Intelligent Life https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29730.msg378192#msg378192
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 10:31:21 pm »
Well, while I know you  are intelligent and I'm sure that this thread took quite a bit of thought, you're not really stating anything other than a difference would make things different, which isn't really a new idea...
"Are you ... comparing me to God? I mean, that's great, but just so you know, I've never made a tree." -House

• Legendary Member
Re: Complexity of Intelligent Life https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29730.msg378196#msg378196
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 10:35:44 pm »
Well, while I know you  are intelligent and I'm sure that this thread took quite a bit of thought, you're not really stating anything other than a difference would make things different, which isn't really a new idea...
Then this is simply the starting thread for discussing it. I know it's not a new idea, but this also branches into the concept of 'Free Will'. Free will, the ability for the mind to make choices independently (my definition), is limited by the complexity of the universe. Not only would a more complex intelligent life form in a more complex universe be different, they would also have independence that is unimaginable to us, who are stuck with seeing only within the boundaries of the complexity of this universe.

• Legendary Member
Re: Complexity of Intelligent Life https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29730.msg378198#msg378198
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 10:39:35 pm »
On top of that, just stating it would be different from our own doesn't fulfill the full purpose of the statement. It would not be different on just any scale. The difference would not be a random margin. The difference would be precise and perfectly proportioned based on the difference in complexity of universes.

Offline maverixk

Re: Complexity of Intelligent Life https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29730.msg378200#msg378200
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 10:40:02 pm »
hmm, point taken.

Offline Pineapple

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Pineapple hides under a Cloak.
  • Master of Cake
  • Awards: Silver DonorSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: Complexity of Intelligent Life https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29730.msg378207#msg378207
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 10:59:03 pm »
Define complexity. Maybe you can say that a mathematical equation is more complex if it has more operations in it. Does that make 1+4-2+8+20-1=30 more complex than 8x^2 + 5x + 4 = 26? You can always simplify complex things into less complex concepts, while on the other hand there is always more and more to understand about what--at face value--is as simple as a piece of bread. The bread is made up a complex netting made up of compounds made up of atoms made of up quarks... And complexity doesn't necessarily call for higher-order thinking processes, as you can make a complex program with 999 lines of code that can only do 1+1=2, while you can also make a program with maybe 20 lines of code that can do any operation with integers.
So, my first gripe is that we're throwing a meaningless adjective around.

Now, it's great that we can directly interact with the universe, but can we interact with the whole universe as it is? We can interact with the environment around us, but even then, we cannot comprehend everything. Is our current universe not already too complex for us? Therefore, if the universe became more complex, then maybe it is so that we would not be able to "handle it" with our brains, but how are you so sure that it'll affect us? If someone on the other side of the world from where you live is born, that most likely doesn't affect your ability to interact with those around you. With the same reasoning, if something outside of the environment around us became more complex, then it wouldn't affect us. In addition, since we do not currently comprehend the universe, how do you know that the complexity of the universe is what directly causes the complexity of our minds? How can you have such faith on the capabilities of evolution, that our line of species evolved to understand the universe by creating a brain with enough complexity? And the human species, like all species, is extremely recent. How can we say that during all these years in this universe all the species have maintained a complexity that scales with the complexity of our universe, a complexity that no other organism in any other universe has reached/passed unless their universe is around the same complexity?
So there is little chance that complexity of the universe affects the complexity of the mind, and complexity of the mind of "intelligent" life is always changing/increasing...At any point in time, the organisms in two universes may be in different "stages" of evolution, so evolution goes against this idea.

Shaliyah

Re: Complexity of Intelligent Life https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29730.msg383869#msg383869
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 02:51:27 pm »
Our brains are orchestrated so we can directly interact with the universe. If the universe functioned under different laws, but our brains remained unchanged, our ability to interact with it would be diminished.
Your second sentence is not an hypothesis, it's a fact. How we humans can say that they are harmonized with the universe while most of them deny the existence of other intelligent life forms? Human nature selfishness or advanced programming? I go for the second.

Offline northcity4

• Reputation Power: 5
  • northcity4 is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • New to Elements
Re: Complexity of Intelligent Life https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29730.msg1020280#msg1020280
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 06:19:30 am »
That's weird, our brains can adapt. Let's say for a moment earth was 'special' and outside of earth is was completely different (newtons laws didn't even come close), then our brains would observe and as always, even with new discoveries, we find patterns.

If we find patterns, then we can think of ways to build a space ship to be able to fly and maintain itself in that area. The brain can adapt, it can understand something new.

What that means is the complexity of the Universe didn't cause the complexity of our brain, in fact our brain is more complex than our universe according to a lot of astronomers/scientists. I don't think our brains got some software update from being chemically made.

"Well north, your wrong."

"How did we from chemicals get things like free will and morality?"

If we were just chemicals, we would follow the laws of chemicals, but we don't. Our bodies follow chemical laws, but our self our 'soul' if I may does not. Something beyond the natural and by definition=supernatural.

I am not stating a claim, just stating an opposition and want to know how someone might refute this.
My sport is your sport's punishment.

Offline OldTrees

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 114
  • OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • I was available for questions.
  • Awards: Brawl #2 Winner - Team FireTeam Card Design Winner
Re: Complexity of Intelligent Life https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29730.msg1020325#msg1020325
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 09:55:47 am »
This universe is constant in its complexity.
Life has not been constant in its complexity.
Intelligent life has not been constant in its complexity.

Theory falsified within our own universe?

Perhaps the upper limit of complexity of intelligent life is related to the complexity of the universe. However that is the most I could salvage.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 09:57:20 am by OldTrees »
"It is common sense to listen to the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their readiness to listen to the wisdom of the fool."
"Nothing exists that cannot be countered." -OldTrees on indirect counters
Ask the Idea Guru: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32272.0.htm

Offline northcity4

• Reputation Power: 5
  • northcity4 is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • New to Elements
Re: Complexity of Intelligent Life https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29730.msg1021334#msg1021334
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 05:21:40 am »
Wait, are you saying life is stilling more complex and the universe is even more complex, but one day life will be just as complex as the universe, maybe even surpass it? If evolution is true, wouldn't life not be able to pass it? Would passing the universe's complexity give evidence for something else?
My sport is your sport's punishment.

blarg: