*Author

Offline SubmachineTopic starter

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 95
  • Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Who needs a Sub?
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.09.27.)Weekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Design July 2015 - GoldSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeBattle League 3/2013 3rd PlaceWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Gotta Catch Some Of Them https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66630.msg1286303#msg1286303
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 07:38:22 pm »
Down the Cycling Road we go!

Cycling Road was full of birds and Pikachus, nothing that SONIC couldn't have handled alone. Under the Cycling Road, however, was Route 206. It's a rich spot for rare Pokémon, so I was eager to go there, armed to teeth with Pokéballs. I expected to get a Skorupi, but what I found might be better.

Spoiler for Who's That Pokémon?:

Catching it was not an easy task though, because it had a great Attack stat, while I didn't have much to resist its moves. Many of my guys were 3-hit KOs for Ponyta, so I didn't get too many chances to switch. I managed to chip down a bit less than 1/4 of its HP, then started throwing balls. It was escaping regular balls, and I got really tight on team HP, but the first Nest Ball managed to catch it. With PHOENIX on the team (PHOENIX is the name I gave to Ponyta), I finally have a Fire-type in my team. :) That's really good, because in Diamond, the only Fire-types were Ponyta and Numel, and they can only be caught in, like, 3 locations. With PHOENIX, I might not need Hidden Power Fire on MYSTRO after all.

Side note: I missed the chance again to catch a Machop here. I know Ponyta is good, but a traded Kadabra might have been better. I also saw Skorupis and Gligars in the area, but I'm not sure how good they are in this Gen, so I don't know how much I missed.

While I was examining the rich ecosystem of Route 206, a surprise guy popped out of the egg I was carrying: a Togepi. :o I never had a Togepi before, but in competitive games, its final evolution flinches everything to death with Serene Grace, so I got eager to give it a try. Buuut it has Hustle instead of Serene Grace, so nevermind about all that. ^^" At the end of Route 206 awaited me Wayward Cave. It was pitch black inside, so I didn't plan to explore it just yet, but I spent enough time inside that I could find and catch a Bronzor.

Welcome to the team PHOENIX, TORVIUS and BRICK ROLL! :)

After Wayward Cave, it was time to enter Mount Coronet. Wild Pokémon could now exceed level 18, which is the level where Geodudes learn Selfdestruct. To get through without casualties, I brought out PELICAN the Psyduck. PELICAN not only had a 4-times effective Water Gun against Geodudes, but his ability was also Damp, which prevents selfdestructing moves. He was 2 levels below average though, so I sent him out first against a few trainers. The second dude had a Buizel, who I decided to weaken a bit with PELICAN before sending in someone else to battle. We traded Scratches and Quick Attacks for a while, but when PELICAN's HP was low enough for it to matter, Buizel revealed Pursuit. I couldn't risk switching out, so I attempted to use Disable on Pursuit. However, Quick Attack was disabled instead. I would have died to the next hit anyway, so I had to switch and pray for a third move that is not Pursuit. I wasn't so lucky though, so PELICAN went down. :(

Outsmarted by the AI.

After a trip back to the Pokécenter, I switched PELICAN to a much less impressive BABIDYBOO, who I managed to upgrade to a Bibarel.

Spoiler for Hidden:

On my trip through Mount Coronet, I bumped into three relevant figures.

1. Dawn

She was somewhere between fantastic and hopeless.

She was nice though, and gave us an item finder and a VS Seeker. :)

2. Cyrus

He was slowly showing his true intentions. An ultimate goal.

But naaaah! He's probably not relevant to the plot at all. :sillyspin:

3. This Guy

Hey, it's MYSTRO's lost brother, MYSTERY. :D ZERIA confused him with Confuse Ray and he hit himself in confusion three times in a row, but luckily he snapped out of confusion on around 1 HP. Then I put him to sleep with BRICK ROLL's Hypnosis and managed to catch it with a regular ball. I put him in the box for now, but later I might check what type of Hidden Power he learns.

With that done, I was finally outside Mount Coronet. There, I managed to catch a Ralts (who I named ROVIUS), which is something I never used before. I know it can evolve into Gardevoir or Gallade, but I don't know the evolution conditions for them. For now, I don't even know which one I want, so I put ROVIUS in the box too.

But the box is not left untouched for long, because in Hearthome City, a girl decided to give me an Eevee too, which I gladly accepted. For now, I have plenty of options to rebuild my team.

In the next episode, I will completely skip contests and head towards the Veilstone City gym.~

End of Day party stats:

Lv.22 THORNANG, the Grotle (♂)
Cut Curse
Bite Razor Leaf
Lv.20 BABIDYBOO, the Bibarel (♀)
Headbutt Growl
Water Gun Rollout
Lv.25 ZERIA, the Crobat (♀)
Astonish Wing Attack
Confuse Ray Bite
Lv.27 SONIC, the Luxio (♂)
Bite Leer
Charge Spark
Lv.22 MYSTRO, the Meditite (♀)
Rock Smash Meditate
Confusion Hidden Power
Lv.20 BRICK ROLL, the Bronzor
Hypnosis Imprison
Confuse Ray Extrasensory

Spoiler for PC Pokémon:
FLIMFLAM, the Drifloon
PHOENIX, the Ponyta
TORVIUS, the Togepi (Note: Not a member of my squad yet. I can only choose one Egg Pokémon, and it might not be TORVIUS.)
MYSTERY, the Meditite
ROVIUS, the Ralts
ELZEVION, the Eevee

Spoiler for Here I pay my tribute to the fallen:
For PELICAN:

PELICAN, the Psyduck: Lv.5-Lv.16, from Oreburgh Gate. Died by a trainer's Buizel. Stayed in for too long to weaken Buizel before switching out. When Buizel revealed Pursuit, it was too late to switch. You were my safest plan to avoid exploding Geodudes, but now I have noone to protect my teammates in caves.

"Bye-Bye, PELICAN! :("
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 08:00:35 pm by Submachine »
And we keep driving into the night
It's a late goodbye, such a late goodbye...

~ Platinum Quest ~

• Legendary Member
  • Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Who needs a Sub?
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.09.27.)Weekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Design July 2015 - GoldSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeBattle League 3/2013 3rd PlaceWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Gotta Catch Some Of Them https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66630.msg1286650#msg1286650
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2019, 09:43:32 pm »
An unexpected change of plans!

So here's what I knew at the beginning of this episode. In Pokemon Diamond, the local gym leader is out of town somewhere, so it has to be skipped until you come back 2 gyms later. That's what I expected here too, but in the Contest Hall, I glanced at a familiar purple dressed figure in the corner. At first I thought I saw a ghost, because I could have sworn she was not supposed to be here. After I talked to her, she told me we would have to battle once in her gym, to which I said "Fine, you probably won't have time to battle me with all your contest shenanigans until I come back from the 4th gym". But after this, the exits of Hearthome City were still blocked and suddenly the gym's doors were open. I went in for a quick scouting mission, and then it was confirmed.

"My next opponent is you, Fantina!"

During my scouting mission, I set out the following goal: Level 26 for all Pokémon in my team. The team I chose for the mission was the following:

This was the best I could do without making too early decisions. (By early decisions, I mean choosing Togepi as my Egg Pokémon and choosing an Eeveelution now that I might not want later.) MYSTRO and FLIMFLAM were weak to Ghost-type attacks, so I wanted to leave them out of this. ZERIA, THORNANG and SONIC all knew Bite, which was super effective against Ghosts. BABIDYBOO was part Normal-type, so she straight-up ignored Ghost-type moves, and then finally BRICK ROLL was just an all-around reliable wall that can put things to sleep.

I started the grind on Route 208, but eventually I realized that using the VS Seeker item, I can get higher EXP points much faster. I was slowly reaching Level 26 on my team members, one by one, and eventually I found myself on the West side of Mount Coronet, rematching trainers one after another. I also met the trainer with the deadly Buizel who killed PELICAN. I was grinding through Chimchars, Pachirisus, Geodudes, Roselias and Mime Jrs, until eventually I misclicked and a Geodude exploded in BABIDYBOO's face. Wait, NOOOOOO! >_> I rematched the same Hiker probably three times, but he never revealed Selfdestruct until that point. Sadly the damage was too much for BABIDYBOO, so I lost my best Ghost immunity and my only remaining Water user. Rest in peace, BABI. :[

The misclick I mentioned was me clicking Headbutt instead of Water Gun against the Geodude. Water Gun would have killed, so this casualty could have been avoided. I switched BABIDYBOO to FLIMFLAM, then went back to continue my training. I learned from my mistake, and against the Geodudes, I only brought BRICK ROLL to resist everything they can do to me. I could have also brought in FLIMFLAM to be immune to Selfdestructs, but they knew Rock Throw, which was good against Flying. I highly valued BRICK ROLL on my team, because he could just switch into battle in tough situations, resist two attacks, then put the opponent to sleep. Against Geodudes, he could ignore Ground-type moves by Levitate, and resist their Normal and Rock type moves with its Steel typing. I tested BRICK ROLL at level 21 against a Geodude's Selfdestruct, and he could survive it with only half of its HP going down. At level 22, he could do the same, but with his HP remaining a bit above half.

I was continuing the training against the same group of trainers, until I became the victim of sheer chance. It was at that time, when a 3 level lower Geodude decided to use Selfdestruct against BRICK ROLL, who was at full HP. It would have been fine normally, but this one specific attack decided to be a critical hit. Of all things! And it was sadly enough to break through the wall that is known as BRICK ROLL. And from full health too. Dammit! :[[

"I have no other chance. It's time to bring out Meditite."

MYSTRO the Meditite was weak against Ghosts though, so she was only on my team as a last resort. With the combination of MYSTRO and FLIMFLAM on my team, I could finally outsmart the Geodudes and reach level 26 with everyone. (MYSTRO could use Rock Smash to 2-hit KO the Dudes, or FLIMFLAM could switch in when I expected a Selfdestruct.)

Spoiler for Another Riddle!:
Speaking of Meditites, I had another one in the box, called MYSTERY. The mystery with him was to figure out what type of Hidden Power he learns. Let's see if you can find it out from only the following information:
  • Hidden Power was normally effective against Ponyta.
  • Hidden Power was normally effective against Machop.
  • Hidden Power did not affect Gligar.
This time, I will not reveal the answer.

After I reached my goal, it was time to return to Fantina.

Third Gym Battle: Leader Fantina!

Spoiler for You can watch the video here!:

To Be Continued

~ Platinum Quest ~

• Legendary Member
  • Who needs a Sub?
Re: Gotta Catch Some Of Them https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66630.msg1286731#msg1286731
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2019, 09:55:55 pm »
Only now do I realize that the thumbnail of the uploaded video might be a spoiler. Without further ado, let's dwell into the battle with Fantina.

First matchup: Lv.27 THORNANG vs Lv.24 DUSKULL. I didn't know what she would start with, but my gameplan was to start with my weakest Anti-Ghoster, THORNANG. I started spamming Bites until it was time to switch. The plan worked perfectly against Duskull, because THORNANG defeated her without taking a hit.

When she announced to send in Mismagius, I decided to stick to my plan and keep biting with THORNANG. Second matchup: Lv.27 THORNANG vs Lv.26 MISMAGIUS. Mismagius was much faster than us, so she immediately confused THORNANG with Confuse Ray, who then proceeded to hit himself in confusion. Well, I thought, that will be annoying, but as long as I can get in another hit, I should be fine. So I attempted another Bite, but THORNANG once again hit himself in confusion, while Mismagius landed a heavy hit with Shadow Ball. At this point, if I wanted to avoid any casualties, I had to switch.

It was time to switch to my second best Bite user, SONIC, the Luxio. I hoped SONIC would take less than half HP damage from Shadow Ball, because then I could have damaged Mismagius once more before being forced to switch. However, Shadow Ball took down around three quarters HP.

"This is looking awful for us."

I was down to only one Anti-Ghoster, which was my Crobat, ZERIA. ZERIA was switched in to take the incoming Shadow Ball, but then it was worse than what I expected.

"The foe's Mismagius used Psybeam!"

SHIT, no! :o That was a power prediction by the AI, which I did not expect. Psybeam was super effective against ZERIA, so it did even more damage than Shadow Ball to my other 'mons. But then why did it only deal third of my HP? I need to calculate this...

NameTypeCategoryBase PowerEffective Damage
Shadow Ball STABSpecial80120
Psybeam 2xSpecial65130

So it was around the same power then, but it's still crazy how my Crobat has more Sp.Def than my Luxio. ^^" It was the exact turn of events that I needed though. ZERIA took this opportunity to Bite the opponent.

But it was not looking as easy as I thought it would go originally. Unfortunately, the opponent was in berry range after our first attack, and Sitrus Berry healed Mismagius back to the green zone. At this point, I could only hope that the second Bite would finish her off, so I went for it. This was our final chance, because ZERIA cannot take another Psybeam at this HP. ZERIA used Bite, and then....  success! Mismagius was down! Only one more to go.~

It was all down to the last Pokemon of Fantina. Luckily for me though, it was not a Gengar, just a regular Haunter. Whew! I didn't want to keep ZERIA in battle, so I switched out to my only healthy member of my team who could take a hit. Lv.26 PHOENIX vs Lv.24 HAUNTER. It was clear to me that the decisive battle between our strongest was already played. Now it was time for the clash of the leftovers.~ None of us had super effective hits against each other, but we didn't resist each other either. Fantina still had all her potions, but PHOENIX had the level advantage. PHOENIX hit the Haunter with his best move, Flame Wheel, which was enough for a 2-hit KO. On the other hand, Haunter's Shadow Claw was a 3/4-hit KO. This looked promising, because even if Fantina uses Full Restores, PHOENIX should be able to maintain the advantage if we kept using Flame Wheel, which we did. Luckily for us, Fantina forgot to use any potions, so we took the victory out on a date and succeeded. Well done, team! ZERIA was definitely the MVP.

Spoiler for Post-battle health points:

We cut it really close on this one, but we probably deserved it after the unfair loss of BRICK ROLL. This was enough excitement for me that day, so this is where I end the episode.

End of Day party stats:

Spoiler for Hidden:
Lv.27 THORNANG, the Grotle (♂)
Cut Curse
Bite Razor Leaf
Lv.26 FLIMFLAM, the Drifloon (♂)
Minimize Astonish
Gust Payback
Lv.27 ZERIA, the Crobat (♀)
Astonish Wing Attack
Confuse Ray Bite
Lv.28 SONIC, the Luxio (♂)
Bite Leer
Charge Spark
Lv.27 MYSTRO, the Meditite (♀)
Rock Smash Meditate
Confusion Hidden Power
Lv.26 PHOENIX, the Ponyta (♂)
Stomp Tail Whip
Ember Flame Wheel

Spoiler for PC Pokémon:
TORVIUS, the Togepi (Note: Not a member of my squad yet. I can only choose one Egg Pokémon, and it might not be TORVIUS.)
MYSTERY, the Meditite
ROVIUS, the Ralts
ELZEVION, the Eevee

For BABIDYBOO:

BABIDYBOO, the Bibarel: Lv.5-Lv.22, from Route 203. Died by a Hiker's Lv.19 Geodude. I accidently clicked Headbutt instead of Water Gun, which let the Geodude Selfdestruct. That's one casualty I could have easily avoided. :(

For BRICK ROLL:

BRICK ROLL, the Bronzor: Lv.20-Lv.23, from Wayward Cave. Died by a Hiker's Lv.20 Geodude. Selfdestruct was critical hit, which was enough to take down BRICK ROLL from full HP, even with a resisted hit. Your name was inspired by the early 2000s phenomenon, the Rick Rolling.

PELICAN was not here to protect us from these Geodudes. :(

"Bye-Bye, BABIDYBOO and BRICK ROLL!"

Late notes: Wait, why didn't FANTINA have a Drifblim? This battle was so early, they even downgraded her Gengar to a Haunter. I even prepared SONIC to deal with the Minimize Drifblim before it could get out of control.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 09:59:51 pm by Submachine »

~ Platinum Quest ~

• Legendary Member
  • Who needs a Sub?
Re: Gotta Catch Some Of Them https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66630.msg1286833#msg1286833
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2019, 12:14:27 pm »
Encounter after encounter

We had just finished the gym battle against Fantina, but our rival, Zane, wanted another battle right after. I didn't expect him here, but I had healed up my team beforehand, so he couldn't catch me off-guard. If he catched anyone off-guard right after the battle with Fantina - and without healing -, they would have had a bad time.

To make it short, here is how the team changed on my way:
  • +Bibarel: The loss of BABIDYBOO is less concerning now. I have a Water-type again.
  • +Good Rod: I can now fish for advanced Pokemon.
  • Found the Day Care.
  • +Unown: He was caught in the Solaceon Ruins.
  • +Fire Stone, +Water Stone, +Thunderstone: They were all obtainable in one place. This unlocks all possible eeveelutions for ELZEVION.
  • -Ponyta: PHOENIX got countered. :(
  • +Zubat: I am now maxed out on Zubats. The new Zubat is my Defog user now.
  • +Luxray: SONIC evolved. :)
  • +Geodude: Not the best in the area, but I'll take anything with decent resistances at this point.
  • +Marill: Still not the best in the area. I might not use her.
  • -Scyther & -Kadabra: I could have caught them instead of Geodude and Marill. x_x

So what happened to Ponyta? I was in a tough spot, because I entered a battle against an opposing Ponyta with THORNANG. THORNANG was weak to Fire, so I needed to switch him out. My only Fire resistance was my own Ponyta, so I switched PHOENIX in. The opposing trainer's Ponyta was 2 levels lower, but it was faster than PHOENIX. Right on switch-in, PHOENIX got trapped with Fire Spin, so neither could I switch him out, nor could I run away, nor catch the opposing threat. Because of the Speed disadvantage and the Fire Spin, PHOENIX was doomed from the start. But to make things the absolute worst, the opposing Ponyta flinched PHOENIX on turn 2 and landed a critical hit on turn 3. We got beaten to death without a fighting chance, without a single scratch at the opponent. At that point, I was more disappointed than sad, but I still take the loss seriously. To learn something from the incident, I decided to always keep a Water-type on my team.

My trip to Veilstone City took two days, during which I had the opportunity twice to show a Pokemon to the Newsletter Writers of Solaceon Town. The way it works is they tell you a random Pokemon, and you have one day to show it to them. Their first request was a Bronzor, to just add salt to the recent wounds. :'( But their second request was a Bibarel, which I could show to them for a Heart Scale and 3 Ultra Balls.

During the rest of my trip to Veilstone, I got my guard up, so I had a smooth sailing. When I finally arrived, I saw both the Veilstone City gym and the Team Galactic Headquarters. I will visit them in this order eventually.~

End of Day party stats:

Lv.30 THORNANG, the Grotle (♂)
Razor Leaf Bite
Cut Curse
Lv.32 ZERIA, the Crobat (♀)
Wing Attack Bite
Astonish Confuse Ray
Lv.20 ZIMMY, the Zubat (♀)
Wing Attack Bite
Astonish Defog
Lv.30 SONIC, the Luxray (♂)
Spark Bite
Charge Leer
Lv.29 MYSTRO, the Meditite (♀)
Force Palm Rock Smash
Meditate Confusion
Lv.27 BEREVIC, the Bibarel (♀)
Hyper Fang Water Gun
Rollout Defense Curl

Spoiler for PC Pokémon:
ROVIUS, the Ralts
ELZEVION, the Eevee
UDIUS, the Unown
GORDY, the Geodude
MERNICA, the Marill

Spoiler for Day Care:
MYSTERY, the Meditite
FLIMFLAM, the Drifloon

For PHOENIX:

PHOENIX, the Ponyta: Lv.17-Lv.26, from Route 206. Died by a Farmer's Lv.24 Ponyta on Route 210. PHOENIX was my only Fire resist, so I switched him in. Fire Spin trapped us, the opponent was faster, Stomp flinched us, then the last Stomp was a critical hit.

"Bye-Bye, PHOENIX!"

~ Platinum Quest ~

Offline ddevans96

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 113
  • ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • now palafrost
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSilver Donor9th Trials - Master of WaterSlice of Elements 6th Birthday Cake8th Trials - Master of WaterSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeWinner of the Harry Potter PvP House CupSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: Gotta Catch Some Of Them https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66630.msg1286890#msg1286890
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2019, 05:52:48 am »
Nice run so far, good luck :)
discord / twitter: palafrost - 2x master of water - false god enthusiast
twitch: palafrost - speedrunner, ex-celeste, currently hades
avatar: makoto [persona 5] by asukabaka

• Legendary Member
  • Who needs a Sub?
Re: Gotta Catch Some Of Them https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66630.msg1286955#msg1286955
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2019, 08:05:00 pm »
Nice run so far, good luck :)
Thanks! :) I waited with this reply until I could put up the next episode, which has come now.

Gym Leader Maylene's doors were wide open, but before I entered, I had a bunch of new areas to explore. And with new areas came new teammates. :)

1. PORYGON (PERESVIR)

This might be a callback to the first Pokemon game, where a guy gives you a Porygon in the same city where the evil team's HQ is. Porygon's not gonna be of any use in the upcoming battle against Maylene, but I'm happy that PERESVIR is part of my team now. :)

2. RHYHORN (RATHALOS)

My reaction to Rhyhorn is 'eh', especially if we consider that I had a pretty high chance to catch a Houndour instead. His further disadvantages are that he'll never evolve into a Rhyperior, he's not gonna be of any help against Maylene, and has the same typing as Geodude. However, I've never used the Rhyhorn line before, so I'm eager to give this guy a chance later.

Look at those spikes, though! I'm calling this steely guy RATHALOS, based on a similarly spiky fellow.

3. OH HEY, A GEODUDE!

UH, HAHA, NEVERMIND...

I couldn't max out on Geodudes yet (sadly), but luckily I could tank the Selfdestruct without sacrificing anyone. Getting some Quick Balls or a Damp Psyduck any time soon would be nice.~
(Note: Damp prevents selfdestructing moves.)

4. GIRAFARIG (GINGSH)

Further down the road, I finally met a capable Psychic-type. It was the perfect timing too, because she's definitely joining the fight against Maylene.

I love when she's using Psybeam though. xD Whenever she uses Psybeam, I imagine her saying GIIIINGSH (her name) like how these guys say 'Fish'. A hilarious party member.

5. EVOLUTIONS, BABY!

It's also worth mentioning that during our training for Maylene, many of our folks evolved. :D

ZIMMY is on the same team as ZERIA, only because I want to teach ZIMMY Giga Drain before she evolves into a Crobat.

Look at all that bulk that FLIMFLAM just got! When I have the chance, I'll try out a Double Team, Stockpile, Swallow, Ominous Wind set, just to see how effective it is.

Kirlia was the daily searched Pokemon in Solaceon Town, so I took a detour to evolve her to get more Pokeballs and another Heart Scale.

And this one's just perfect. :) I had an empty slot for the battle against Maylene, so I planned to take THORNANG with me for bulk alone, but with his perfectly timed evolution, he can now be a threat to Maylene with Earthquake.

And with that, our team was ready to face Maylene. Did I have a plan? Kinda... My plan was just to start with MYSTRO and send out the best options afterwards. Platinum is new to me, so I didn't even try to predict what Maylene might bring. I slowly navigated myself through her new gym layout, then we were ready to R-R-R-RUMBLE!

Fourth Gym Battle: Leader Maylene!

"Ref, give us the play-by-play!"

So here's what happened, in order. First matchup: Lv.33 MYSTRO vs Lv.28 MEDITITE. Essentially, a battle between two Meditites, but mine was at a higher level. Levels don't mean much though, when we both have Pure Power (ability) and high Attack stats.
  • Her Meditite's first attack dealt way more damage than what I expected, and she also flinched MYSTRO.
  • Originally, I wanted to attack with Confusion, but seeing her damage output convinced me that a resisted physical move would deal WAAAY more damage than an unresisted special attack. I did not regret attacking with Force Palm, which took dawn half of the opponent's HP. The turn continues. >>
  • Maylene's Rock Tomb missed. Why she went for Rock Tomb of all things is beyond my comprehension. It doesn't get STAB bonus, plus it's resisted.
  • Next turn. The opposing Meditite lived the second Force Palm with 1 health(!), but at least we paralyzed her. The turn continues. >>
  • This time, Maylene's Rock Tomb connects, lowering MYSTRO's Speed by 1 stage. This would normally matter, but since Paralysis is the biggest possible Speed crippling in this generation, we are still faster than her.
  • Next turn, MYSTRO finishes her off with Confusion. Maylene's Meditite fainted.
  • Maylene is about to send out MACHOKE.

It was time to bring out our pure Psychic user. Second matchup: Lv.32 GINGSH vs Lv.29 MACHOKE.
  • GINGSH shouted her name like a maniac while using Psybeam, then the battle against Machoke was over.
  • Maylene is about to send out LUCARIO.
Oh, shi-! The big guns. It was the best possible time to bring out THORNANG. I wasn't worried, because even if THORNANG couldn't handle the Lucario, I knew I could safely switch out to ZERIA at any point without suffering any serious damage. Last matchup: Lv.32 THORNANG vs Lv.32 LUCARIO. We finally closed the level gap too.
  • Lucario was much faster than a regular Torterra, but that's why it's good I equipped Quick Claw to THORNANG. Quick Claw activated right away, so we landed an Earthquake on him before he could act.
  • And apparently that was enough to KO Lucario. It wasn't even a critical hit, just a regular, super effective, STAB attack. Good job, THORNANG! :) You are intimidating now.

I made a video too, but with so little happening, I didn't feel it necessary to upload it.

Gotta say, it feels good to finally close an episode without making a tribute to the fallen. ^^ I had enough of losing precious teammates. In the next episode, REYNOLD and Co will pilfer the Team Galactic HQ in Veilstone City, looking for the TM Fly.

End of Day party stats:

Lv.32 THORNANG, the Torterra (♂)
Item: Quick Claw
Razor Leaf Bite
Cut Earthquake
Lv.37 ZERIA, the Crobat (♀)
Item: Razor Fang
Wing Attack Bite
Astonish Confuse Ray
Lv.32 GINGSH, the Girafarig (♀)
Item: Odd Incense
Psybeam Assurance
Agility Baton Pass
Lv.33 SONIC, the Luxray (♂)
Item: Shell Bell (Ability: Rivalry)
Spark Bite
Charge Leer
Lv.34 MYSTRO, the Meditite (♀)
Item: Fist Plate (Ability: Pure Power)
Force Palm Rock Smash
Meditate Confusion
Lv.33 FLIMFLAM, the Drifblim (♂)
Item: Spell Tag
Ominous Wind Payback
Gust Astonish

I should not forget to put a Fire-resist on my team before I move on.

Spoiler for PC Pokémon:
ROVIUS, the Kirlia
ELZEVION, the Eevee
UDIUS, the Unown
GORDY, the Geodude
RATHALOS, the Rhyhorn
BEREVIC, the Bibarel
ZIMMY, the Golbat
PERESVIR, the Porygon

Spoiler for Day Care:
MYSTERY, the Meditite
MERNICA, the Marill

~ Platinum Quest ~

• Legendary Member
  • Who needs a Sub?
Re: Gotta Catch Some Of Them https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66630.msg1287483#msg1287483
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2019, 02:17:38 pm »
In the next episode, REYNOLD and Co will pilfer the Team Galactic HQ in Veilstone City, looking for the TM Fly.
Syke! That's the wrong episode.

It turns out that REYNOLD's next destination was Pastoria City, where the Water-type gym is located. What made me think that we'll infiltrate the Galactic HQ is that Dawn asked us to help her get back her stolen Pokédex from Team Galactic.

It turns out she likes to use Clefairy more than her starter, but that's okay. Maybe she'll heal me in battle like Cheryl did in Eterna Forest.

But she was not as bright as I thought, because all she used was Metronome. "Metronome randomly selects a move and fully executes the attack." I was not comfortable with this gamble, because what if she accidently uses Selfdestruct or Explosion? After my GINGSH was chipped away by the opposing Zubats, I didn't feel comfortable staying in, so I switched to someone with full health.

Well, what do you know! Guess what she did.

Of course she used Selfdestruct. This time, I dodged a bullet just by listening to my gut, but holy hell! That was some unholy luck right there. GINGSH would have definitely dropped if I don't switch her out, and luckily Bibarel could barely survive the hit.

On my way forward, I met youtuber ProJared who was just hanging out on the beach. I guess he was much younger here. :)

Then I finally arrived at Pastoria City, where I had many things to do. First of all, I could finally buy some Quick Balls. Secondly, I found the move relearner guy (Move Tutor). There was also the Great Marsh. And that's if you don't count the Water Gym and the girl who gives free berries every day.

I already had a few Heart Scales (the currency that the Move Tutor uses), so I went on to teach a few strong moves to my elite. ZERIA learned Cross Poison, then I changed her Razor Fang to a Poison Barb to increase the damage of her Poison-type moves. Then I was wondering if I should teach Wood Hammer to THORNANG instead of Razor Leaf. The 120 base power was tempting, but I didn't really know if I wanted a move with recoil. Another option I had was teaching him Bullet Seed, which can either deal 25, 50, 75, 100 or 125 damage. Bullet Seed was also stronger than Razor Leaf, but it seemed unreliable to get high damage consistently. So I went with Wood Hammer eventually. Keep that in mind.

After I reached Pastoria City, my team also went through some changes.

1. A NEW CROBAT? (ZIMMY)

ZIMMY reached the required happyness to evolve into a Crobat, but she still haven't learned Giga Drain yet, so I interrupted the evolution. I will look really stupid after all this if it turns out that Golbats cannot even learn Giga Drain. ?_?

2. SHELLOS!

Another Shellos appeared, but this one is inferior to SHINRA. His ability is Sticky Hold instead of Storm Drain. :( Either way, I called him Shellock Holmes, so he will now help me with my investigations. ;)

3. Q?

On my way forward, I met another inferior beast compared to SHINRA. This one was a Quagsire whose ability was Damp instead of Water Absorb. The funny story with Quagsire is when I tried to give him a nickname, I accidently pressed the Confirm button instead of the Next Page button (which are next to each other), so my Quagsire's name is simply Q. ^^"

4. GORDY is evolving!

And finally we got a Graveler with Earthquake. :) But sadly that's the only evolution he will get. Learning from my experience in Emerald, I won't be using him during the late game, so I must use his full potential as early as possible. Keep that in mind.

Before I could enter the next gym, I was caught off-guard by my rival, Zane. Because I was caught off-guard, I only remembered to start recording mid battle. As you can see from the following video, it was not a clean victory, but at least we suffered no casualties.

Spoiler for Battle against Zane:

Against Crasher Wake, the leader of the Water-type gym, I had a clear plan in mind. Lead with GINGSH to 1v1 Wake's weakest member, switch to BEREVIC when he switches in his Gyarados, use Yawn, then either switch out to SONIC after he fell asleep or switch out to GORDY if he started using Thrash. And yes, I'm planning to use my Graveler against Wake, but strictly against his Gyarados if he starts using Thrash. My plan against his Quagsire was to bring in THORNANG, and the rest of my team should be able to handle the rest of his team. Okay, so let's see how this plan went.

Fifth Gym Battle: Leader Crasher Wake!

Spoiler for You can watch the video here:

First matchup: Lv.34 GINGSH vs Lv.33 GYARADOS.

"And right out of the gate, my plan is ruined!"

Him leading with Gyarados is one of the worst things that could happen against my team plan. Now my Bibarel will have to take a hit before he can use Yawn, which is a significant setback. But I had to cook with the ingredients I had, so I decided to try my luck with GINGSH. A boosted Psybeam did a bit less than third of his HP, but he of course had Bite against us. >__> On the fly, I switched in SONIC, hoping to tank the next hit, but Waterfill did around 50%, so I was forced to switch out again.

"This is already looking awful."

I wanted to take the lowest possible damage, so I brought in my tankiest team member, ZERIA. (Never thought I'd ever say this, haha.) After one hit, Wake wasted his Hyper Potion, which was at least good. ZERIA managed to get rid of Gyarados, but for what cost? It required my strongest to take down his weakest, and I was not happy. At least SONIC learned Thunder Fang over Spark, so that's something.

When Wake announced his next Pokémon, ZERIA was already in the orange zone, so I had to switch. Second matchup: Lv.35 BEREVIC vs Lv.37 Floatzel. Since Wake's Gyarados was already down, I had the opportunity to use Bibarel's Yawn strategy on someone else. We lived two Crunches, but our Defense dropped. Hyper Fang did around 45% to Floatzel, so instead of switching out, I decided to gamble on Floatzel being asleep for long enough.

The second Hyper Fang barely killed him, but Sitrus Berry made him out of KO range again. 1 turn of sleep gone.

The third Hyper Fang barely killed him, I just needed one more hit. 2 turns of sleep gone.

The fourth Hyper Fang would have killed, but the scummy lord of waters decided to bring out a second Hyper Potion, which made Floatzel a 3-hit KO again. 3 turns of sleep gone... :-X

The maximum turns of sleep is 4, but even that doesn't help me win 1v1 against Floatzel. At best, this was my last turn of sleep and I can get in one more Hyper Fang hit, but then I would have to sacrifice something. I went for the risky hit though, and wanted to get in that last chunk of Hyper Fang.

But wait, what's this? Floatzel woke up!

And with BEREVIC's lack of Speed and lowered Defense, the next Crunch was an easy KO for Floatzel. DAMMIT!!! :'( At this point, my plan was non-existent and I made my moves on the fly. Floatzel still had more than 50% HP, so I needed a big gun. Probably the biggest gun I had. Lv.34 THORNANG vs Lv.37 Floatzel. I was confident that the newly learned Wood Hammer would KO Floatzel, while THORNANG had enough bulk to live any physical Water or Dark type move Floatzel had.

"Wood Hammer it is, then."

Quick Claw didn't activate this time, so I was just waiting for what move Floatzel starts off with. But it was FREAKING ICE FANG of all things! The following seconds felt like minutes to me. The animation of Ice Fang stopped after 2 seconds, then THORNANG's HP was just going down, and down, and down... THORNANG, please, tank the hit! :'( His health was getting lower and lower... We went from green, to orange, to red, and... We lived on 17 HP! :o I was almost cheering, but then... Oh right, remember when I told you to keep in mind that I taught THORNANG Wood Hammer over Bullet Seed?

The good news are that we defeated the Floatzel, but the bad news are that nobody gained EXP from it, because everyone he battled died. You may ask how? Well, THORNANG took recoil damage from Wood Hammer, proportionate to the damage we dealt to Floatzel. And since Floatzel still had a bunch of HP left and we only had 17, we went down in an instant. With that, our starter was officially dead. :(

According to the calculator, a 3-hit Bullet Seed would have dealt 79.3 - 94.2% damage to Floatzel, which would have been enough in theory to finish him off. Even if Bullet Seed only hit twice, that would have dealth 52.8 - 62.8% damage, which might have been enough too. Or if that wouldn't have been enough, I could have switched in ZERIA next to deal the faster finishing blow, and then at least someone would have gotten EXP from defeating Floatzel. (Even Razor Leaf would have dealt 54.5 - 66.1%.)

But the battle didn't end there.

Crasher Wake still had a Quagsire left, and my only Grass-type user was gone. At this point, I had to make-do with what I had left.

"Remember what I told you to keep in mind about GORDY?"

I didn't foresee GORDY doing much for me on the long run, and I couldn't even use him against Wake's Gyarados as I planned, so I decided to turn him into a sacrificial bomb. Third matchup: Lv.34 GORDY vs Lv.34 QUAGSIRE. Our levels were equal, so I had hope. My plan was to outspeed Quagsire and hit him with an Earthquake before he uses a Water or Ground type move and kills us. But I was not as fortunate, because GORDY was slow as rocks, and Quagsire was clever enough to use a Special Water-type move to KO us. Darn!

All things I had left on the team were limping on 50% or lower HP, some of them even weak to one of Quagsire's attacks. GINGSH had a bit more than 33% though and he was also specially defensive, so I gave her a try. Lv.34 GINGSH vs Lv.34 QUAGSIRE. Our boosted Psybeam, however, was not strong enough to 2-hit KO Quagsire, so it was time to switch or sacrifice again. :( GINGSH lived the next attack on 9 HP, so it was clear she could not take any more hits. However, Quagsire's last used move was a Ground-type move, so I had a last-ditch effort to play around him.

Lv.39 ZERIA vs Lv.34 QUAGSIRE. If Quag used Mud Shot again, ZERIA would not take damage from it, and then we would have enough turns to KO without dying.

But surely it cannot be that easy, right?!

Freaking ROCK TOMB! I don't know how, but the AI outplayed me again, hitting my strongest with a super effective move when she was already in the orange zone. But somehow we lived that hit with 8 HP! :o My strongest was still alive, but Rock Tomb lowered our Speed by 1. It was a gamble at this point if we are still faster than him, but I was running out of options, and staying in and attacking seemed to be the only way to deal with Quagsire.

ZERIA used Fly! Luckily we were still faster, so we dodged the incoming Rock Tomb. I was banking on Rock Tomb missing on the next turn, or on he using Mud Shot again. I was sure that any of his attacks with more than 0 damage would end us on contact. Using Fly, however, was a double-edged sword, because there was a chance that we miss.

We reached the second turn of Fly, when all these gambling factors would come into place and decide the outcome. And then luckily Fly landed. Quagsire had a bit more than 50% HP left, so I was anxiously waiting how much damage Fly does. And it somehow knocked out Quagsire without a critical hit! That, gentlemen, is probably the luckiest thing that happened in this match against Crasher Wake.

According to the calculator, a regular Crobat would have dealt 40.3 - 47.8% damage to Quagsire, but it looks like ZERIA collected a good amount of Attack IVs on our way here. I could have sacrificed ZERIA against Wake, because I had a replacement Crobat in the form of ZIMMY, but ZERIA has been with us longer and she also has some really good investments. :) All hail the bulky Crobat!

But to see how harsh things went, check the following image of my team after we defeated Crasher Wake.

Spoiler for Hidden:
NOTE: The picture was taken after I released BEREVIC, THORNANG and GORDY, but I haven't healed since then.

At this point, the episode would normally be over, but I had to go on a rampage to avenge my fallen team members. I went on a level-up spree with ZERIA, in an attempt to raise her to such high levels that she can take down gym leaders on her own. In the process, SHELLOCK evolved into a Gastrodon.

I also wanted to catch a new team member in the Great Marsh, but it was at this point that a Team Galactic Grunt exploded the Great Marsh, which totally didn't happen in Diamond for real. Now I couldn't even go in to catch new team members, because Zane and Crasher Wake were blocking the way. >__<

The fury of ZERIA lead us after the escaping grunt. The grunt was running, while I was efficiently pursuiting him on a bicycle. At one point, Looker joined the chase too, but he ran ahead. When I next saw Looker at the Lakeview Hotel reception, he already lost track of the grunt and was interrogating the staff members. This was our chance to take over the investigation!

"Detective SHELLOCK, where do you think the grunt escaped the room?"

"Well, dear Watson. Seeing how there are only two exits from this room, and one of them is where we came from, he must have fled using the opposite door."

"That makes sense, thank you Detective Shellock!"

Ha! Suck on that, Looker. :D Who needs you (or Detective Pikachu) when we have Detective Shellock? SHELLOCK was right as expected, and we soon caught up to the grunt, who ran out of breath and couldn't run or walk any more. ZERIA took quick care of his lone Croagunk, then SHELLOCK and Watson were ready to capture the grunt. However, that's when main antagonist Deus Ex Cynthia came in to stall me in my investigation for almost a full minute, which was enough for the grunt to escape. Curse you, Cynthia! My plans were foiled again.

But what did Cynthia want from us, other than letting the grunt escape? Well, she told us that the Marsh is fine and that a new route opened up to the north, then she went on to ramble about the habitual behavior of Psyducks. For real. That's really all that happened, and that's exactly where I'll continue from in the next episode.~

End of Day party stats:

Lv.42 ZERIA, the Crobat (♀)
Item: Poison Barb
Fly Cross Poison
Bite Confuse Ray
Lv.35 SONIC, the Luxray (♂)
Thunder Fang Bite
Charge Leer
Lv.35 GINGSH, the Girafarig (♀)
Item: Odd Incense
Psybeam Assurance
Agility Baton Pass
Lv.30 SHELLOCK, the Gastrodon (♂)
Water Pulse Mud Bomb
Body Slam Hidden Power
Lv.35 MYSTRO, the Meditite (♀)
Force Palm Rock Smash
Meditate Confusion
Lv.25 PERESVIR, the Porygon (-)
Psybeam Agility
Recover Flash

Spoiler for PC Pokémon:
ROVIUS, the Kirlia
ELZEVION, the Eevee
UDIUS, the Unown
ZIMMY, the Golbat
MERNICA, the Marill
FLIMFLAM, the Drifblim
Q, the Quagsire

Spoiler for Day Care:
MYSTERY, the Meditite
RATHALOS, the Rhyhorn

Spoiler for Here I pay my tribute for the fallen:
For BEREVIC:

BEREVIC, the Bibarel: Lv.18-Lv.35, from Route 209. Died by Crasher Wake's Lv.37 Floatzel. Scummy Wake used both a Sitrus Berry and a Hyper Potion on his Floatzel, so BEREVIC couldn't finish him off before Floatzel woke up from Yawn.

For THORNANG:

THORNANG, the Torterra: Lv.5-Lv.34, my starter. Died by Crasher Wake's Lv.37 Floatzel. Ice Fang into Wood Hammer recoil was too much from full health, but at least he died like a hero, taking his opponent down before the fall.

For GORDY:

GORDY, the Graveler: Lv.18-Lv.34, my starter. Died by Crasher Wake's Lv.34 Quagsire. We weren't faster, so Quagsire knocked us out in one hit.

"Bye-Bye, BEREVIC, THORNANG and GORDY! :("
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 02:22:11 pm by Submachine »

~ Platinum Quest ~

• Legendary Member
  • Who needs a Sub?
Re: Gotta Catch Some Of Them https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66630.msg1287862#msg1287862
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2019, 05:43:48 pm »
I spent a bunch of time backtracking, but I try to keep the episode short. Let's go over the team changes first.

1. Put a little PEP in your step!

What that means is that we can step along with our new teammate, straight from the backlot of Sir Backlot.
I called her PEP.~

2. It's hard to SCORE RUPEES when there are so many trees in the way.

I finally spotted a good place where I can catch Skorupis (score rupees), but a flying banana tree blocked my way.
Now the tree is in my pokeballs, and he's called TAPPERTON.

3. Psychics don't always foresee.

This happened a while ago, so I forgot what happened here exactly. All I know is that it was a double battle before reaching Celestic Town, and GINGSH died. :( It probably has something to do with that Gyarados in the screenshot. Either that, or she used Wood Hammer on a Floatzel.

After the battle, my team was in shambles.

After the long adventure, I finally arrived at Celestic Town, where the biggest attraction was a Team Galactic grunt threatening everyone with blowing up the city with a bomb. Just a normal Thursday in Celestic Town.

After defeating the grunt, I went in a cave where I instantly got surrounded by Cyrus, who came out of nowhere. :o

"Ah shoot, what do I do now!?"

I can't just DECLINE a challenge from Cyrus. Especially not when he has the remote control to blow up the bomb outside the cave. But healing is not something I've done recently, and I also have PEP on my team, who has no attacking moves yet. But hoping that he wouldn't have a full-six team yet, I hesitantly accepted his challenge.

Boss Battle: Galactic Boss Cyrus!

Spoiler for You can watch the video here!:

Finally, the big reveal! Cyrus is the boss of Team Galactic. It all makes sense now. Honestly guys, I was just trying to conceal this twist as long as I could, because otherwise it's too easy to figure it out.

The next day, I get my running shoes and bump into a guy named Cyrus outside our small town. [...] For those who haven't played Diamond, Pearl, or Platinum yet, don't worry. Surely he won't be anyone important later. :P
But then we met Cyrus again, who was blocking our way to the thing Zane wanted to show me. As I said earlier, "Surely he won't be anyone important later".
2. Cyrus

He was slowly showing his true intentions. An ultimate goal.

But naaaah! He's probably not relevant to the plot at all. :sillyspin:

It's worth mentioning that Cyrus has been my favorite Pokemon Villain before Guzma was introduced. He has such a commanding presence. And his team is also strong, which is why I was afraid of the upcoming battle with him.

First matchup: Lv.36 SHELLOCK vs Lv.34 SNEASEL. "Yes!", I said on team preview. One of his most threatening things to switch into is his Sneasel/Weavile, but I was very lucky that SHELLOCK just happened to know Hidden Power Fighting. On my current team, any other than ZERIA would have been a forced switch on the first turn, but luckily I could just use a 4x Super Effective move with a decently defensive pokemon to get rid of Sneasel on Turn 1. Good job, Detective Shellock! :)

Second matchup: Lv.35 SONIC vs Lv.34 GOLBAT.

The battle of signature fang moves.

Golbat used Poison Fang, SONIC used Thunder Fang. Abilities, levels and type effectiveness decided however that the winner of this matchup shall be SONIC, the Luxray.~

Third matchup: Lv.35 SONIC vs Lv.36 MURKROW. And he brought an unevolved Pokemon for last, so it was an easy wrap for SONIC. Woo, team!

After the quick encounter with Cyrus, I went on an even bigger backtracking spree than before, because I realized that I can Surf on any water surface now.

4+5. The cool and the cruel.

Surfing is a really good way to catch Tentacools, which I did in two consecutive areas.
These Tentacools go by the names TENECAC and TINCATA.

At least I am now maxed out on Tentacools.

6. Wacky wings.

I also caught a Wingull. I tried to call him WACKY but called him WACKX on accident.

*forgot to make a screenshot of the catch*

7. The floating zealous killer returns.

It was a Floatzel that brought down my starter, but now this Floatzel may redeem herself by making up for the loss. If she's as strong as Wake's Floatzel was, hope remains for redemption.
I caught Floatzel and gave her the name FROYZZ.

8. Psychics don't always foresee. Having Deja Vu yet?

So I got into a battle against an Ace Trainer on a faraway island. I kinda skipped healing before the battle, but his Staraptor also messed up the frontline of my team.

His next Pokemon was a Girafarig, a Psychic-Normal type. Usually ZERIA is my first line of defense against Psychic types, but she was already hurt. ZERIA, SONIC and TAPPERTON were all hurt and PEP still didn't have any attacking moves. My two best options were SHELLOCK and MYSTRO. I knew that Girafarigs have high Special Defense, so I sent out MYSTRO instead of SHELLOCK, because he's a Physical attacker.

The problem is that Girafarig messed MYSTRO up by landing a critical hit with the move Psychic. x__X

Then SHELLOCK came in and 1v1 defeated the opposing GIRAFARIG, so it turned out to be an avoidable loss. :(

"Lose a Girafarig and lose to a Girafarig."

The final team composition says it all.

Spoiler for Hidden:
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 06:57:47 pm by Submachine »

~ Platinum Quest ~

• Legendary Member
  • Who needs a Sub?
Re: Gotta Catch Some Of Them https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66630.msg1287863#msg1287863
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2019, 06:06:30 pm »
REYNOLD and his team finally arrived at Canalave City. I finally found the Move Deleter, but that's all so far. There might be a gym and a rival battle on the other side of the bridge, but that's for another episode. Hopefully I can just get through the next episode without losing anyone. That is my current goal.~

End of Day party stats:

Lv.45 ZERIA, the Crobat (♀)
Fly Cross Poison
Bite Confuse Ray
Lv.39 SONIC, the Luxray (♂)
Thunder Fang Bite
Charge Leer
Lv.40 TAPPERTON, the Tropius (♂)
Razor Leaf Magical Leaf
Body Slam Sweet Scent
Lv.40 SHELLOCK, the Gastrodon (♂)
Surf Mud Bomb
Body Slam Hidden Power
Lv.33 PEP, the Pichu (♀)
Nasty Plot Thunder Wave
Sweet Kiss Tail Whip
Lv.29 FROYZZ, the Floatzel (♀)
Swift Aqua Jet
Crunch Agility

Spoiler for PC Pokémon:
ROVIUS, the Kirlia
MYSTERY, the Meditite
ELZEVION, the Eevee
UDIUS, the Unown
ZIMMY, the Golbat
MERNICA, the Marill
FLIMFLAM, the Drifblim
Q, the Quagsire
TENECAC, the Tentacool
TINCATA, the Tentacool
WACKX, the Wingull

Spoiler for Day Care:
PERESVIR, the Porygon
RATHALOS, the Rhyhorn

Spoiler for Here I pay my tribute for the fallen:
For GINGSH:

GINGSH, the Girafarig: Lv.28-Lv.36, from Valor Lakefront. Died by a Lv.36 Gyarados in a double battle. The details are forgotten. You had a memorable war cry when using Psybeam.

For MYSTRO:

MYSTRO, the Meditite: Lv.13-Lv.36. Died an Ace Trainer's Lv.36 Girafarig outside the Pal Park. Psychic from Girafarig was a critical hit, 1HKO. This could have been avoided by switching in Gastrodon instead.

I am no longer maxed out on Meditites.

"Bye-Bye, GINGSH and MYSTRO! :("

~ Platinum Quest ~

• Legendary Member
  • Who needs a Sub?
Re: Gotta Catch Some Of Them https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66630.msg1288494#msg1288494
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2019, 09:12:01 am »
Not much happened since the last update, but it feels like I did a lot. Harvesting 20 of the top notch berries and evolving a Pichu - then losing progress and evolving the Pichu again - takes a lot of time, but finally those are behind me now. Here are my updates:

1. I battled my rival Zane on the Canalave City bridge. It was a walk in the park.

Video will be uploaded later.

2. MYSTERY evolved into a Medicham much faster than MYSTRO. So I assume Meditite's evolution condition is to learn High Jump Kick?

3. I finally reached Iron Island, which is the bane of every Nuzlocke with its caves full of exploding Gravellers.
Luckily, this time I brought Q with me who had the Damp ability, which prevents other Pokémon from exploding. :)

4. Met an ONIX on Iron Island.

5. Wanted a Barboach but got a Remoraid while fishing somewhere.

6. PEP finally evolved, then the game crashed, then PEP evolved again.

7. MERNICA also evolved. Now she is a blue egg.~

8. Byron, the Steel-type gym leader, was easier to beat than one of his subordinates who had a single Scizor.

9. A Giant Freaking Explosion and a lot of SCREAMING!!!

10. Lake Valor EXPLODED and a bunch of Magikarps were flopping around.

11. I defeated Galactic Admin Mars.

12. The number of the day was 69. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

End of Day party stats:

Lv.51 ZERIA, the Crobat (♀)
Fly Cross Poison
Bite Confuse Ray
Lv.45 MYSTERY, the Medicham (♂)
Hi Jump Kick Force Palm
Calm Mind Psych Up
Lv.45 TAPPERTON, the Tropius (♂)
Razor Leaf Magical Leaf
Body Slam Gust
Lv.45 SHELLOCK, the Gastrodon (♂)
Item: Splash Plate
Surf Mud Bomb
Body Slam Hidden Power
Lv.41 PEP, the Pikachu (♀)
Nasty Plot Thunder Wave
Thundershock Thunder
Lv.45 FROYZZ, the Floatzel (♀)
Item: Mystic Water
Crunch Ice Fang
Aqua Jet Swift

Spoiler for PC Pokémon:
ROVIUS, the Kirlia
ELZEVION, the Eevee
UDIUS, the Unown
ZIMMY, the Golbat
MERNICA, the Azumarill
FLIMFLAM, the Drifblim
Q, the Quagsire
TENECAC, the Tentacool
TINCATA, the Tentacool
WACKX, the Wingull
SONIC, the Luxray
OXIDIAN, the Onix
RAID BOSS, the Remoraid

Spoiler for Day Care:
PERESVIR, the Porygon
RATHALOS, the Rhyhorn
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 09:19:04 am by Submachine »

~ Platinum Quest ~

• Legendary Member
  • Who needs a Sub?
Re: Gotta Catch Some Of Them https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66630.msg1293559#msg1293559
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2019, 06:19:20 pm »
After a long vacation, I can continue working on this series. :) Though returning after this long made me forget what I was doing and what I had to do next.

I aimlessly wandered around Sinnoh until I finally found a path where I haven't been yet. It was time to fight my way through Mount Coronet. But sheesh, the path is blocked by rocks, water, and fog? And one of my team slots is taken up by an Egg??? Well, I gotta put together the shittiest team before I move on. Behold!

ZIMMY, the Golbat: ZIMMY already learned both Fly and Defog, so I had to bring her for this job. Because of this though, I had to put away ZERIA.

MYSTERY, the Medicham: He's the one who's gonna use Strength to push those big boulders out of my way.

MERNICA, the Azumarill: MERNICA is our Rock Smasher.

Q, the Quagsire: He is responsible for transportation over aquatic bodies by the use of Surf. He's also here to prevent Explosions in dire situations (with his Damp ability).

EGG: Because I want Riolu to hatch already.

And finally,
PEP, the Pikachu: Honestly, I have no idea why she's here. PEP was holding the EXP Share, so I guess I was too lazy to switch it. He's gonna be one of my Electric resistances on my team, I guess.

Looking at my new team, I gotta say that my team is in great danger of getting wiped if I'm not careful. :silly: And I was not. Two caves in and MERNICA is already dead. (Died by a Graveller who used Selfdestruct after surviving a Bubblebeam.)

Now I am finally out of Mount Coronet with only four Pokémon alive. I am heading to Snowpoint City, so I'm less than halfway to my destination. I could turn back to replace MERNICA and the Egg with someone more capable, but I don't want to fight my way though the caves again.

Since I am on a new route, this means I can catch a new Pokémon. I excitedly await how the game will attempt to let me down with something disappointing again. ^^"

I am updating this as I go, so I will post when something interesting happens.~

~ Platinum Quest ~

• Legendary Member
  • Who needs a Sub?
Re: Gotta Catch Some Of Them https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66630.msg1293561#msg1293561
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2019, 06:49:37 pm »
I barely passed the halfway point to Snowpoint City when I met a decently challenging opponent. If we consider the number of usable members on my team, any decent challenge is increased.

After healing up my team in a tent, an Ace Trainer challenged me to a battle. He put up Reflect with his first Pokémon, which doubled the Defense of all his team members for 5 turns. I switched in Zimmy, but after attempting to burn some turns of Reflect with Fly, he instantly burned me with Will-o-Wisp. So now my damage was quarter of what it has been before, because Reflect halves my damage, and being burned halves my damage again.

Then after a few turns of chip damage from Hail and Burn, he used Shadow Punch.

After the damage from the punch, hail and burn, ZIMMY lived on ONE health! :o I had to switch him out of there, but the damn Dusclops used Pursuit! So ZIMMY is now also dead, but with the help of PEP, I could defeat Dusclops and the remaining Scyther.

This is not looking good, but I'm trucking on. >_> I haven't caught the new Pokémon yet.

~ Platinum Quest ~

anything
blarg: