*Author

Offline zanzarinoTopic starter

• Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 496
  • zanzarino is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.zanzarino is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.zanzarino is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.zanzarino is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.zanzarino is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.zanzarino is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.zanzarino is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.zanzarino is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.zanzarino is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.zanzarino is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.zanzarino is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.zanzarino is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.zanzarino is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.zanzarino is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.zanzarino is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them
The trial https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37370.msg469599#msg469599
« on: March 11, 2012, 06:21:49 am »

I am starting to plan what will come after the shards are done and balanced and after as many bugs as possible are removed. The best idea that I have at the moment is the following and I'd like to share it with the community:

A new repeatable quest line called, for lack of a better name: "The trial". It consists of a series of battles against new and particularly challenging non-random opponents; "non-random" means that the player will have to adjust his/her deck to defeat a specific opponent. The trial will probably exist in "normal" and "hard" mode, for the veterans.

Completing the trial will grant access to a ritual that will improve your mark giving it a soft counter effect against a specific card.
Every time your opponent plays that specific card your mark will generate 5 extra quanta and heal you for 5 hp. (6/6 if you completed the trial in hard mode).

Do you particularly hate a specific card? That card that always ruins you deck? Now you have the chance to further customize your deck and make less unfair!

Stay tuned for more.

Will mark abilities be active in PvP?
I would say yes, the new marks will work as a dynamic way to fine-balance the metagame: since OP cards will be more frequently targeted by mark abilities those cards should lose part of their power.

If they are active in PvP, it would further increase the gap between veterans and newbies.
Completing the trial in normal mode is going to be quite easy even for a new player and it will take a few hours. Completing it in "hard" mode not so easy, even for a veteran.

will you have to do the quest line each time you want to change your mark's counter thing?
You'll have to repeat the trial if you want to target a new card, but the mark counter ability is applied to all the marks (all 12 elements).

May I suggest that this be unable to apply to pillars/pendulums at a minimum, and perhaps novas as well?  It seems too powerful if one could choose, say, quantum pillars.
Yes, it does not apply to quanta generators, not sure yet about nova/supernova.

Offline furballdn

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 86
  • furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Facetious trollnotmod
  • Awards: Epic 3 Card Winner - Clockwork GolemBest Recruiter of FriendsBest JournalistBest Chat PainterBattle - Slayer of The Great ChimeraBest Crafted Relic of Other
Re: The trial https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37370.msg469600#msg469600
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 06:24:15 am »
Whoa. That's like seriously all I can say. I cannot wait for more gameplay features, and giving you the ability to have a free soft counter sounds like a pretty cool idea.

Offline ZephyrPhantom

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 101
  • ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeFlavour Text Revival Competition - WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: The trial https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37370.msg469601#msg469601
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 06:24:58 am »
Daily quests and mark upgrading rolled into one. Pretty cool, and I'd love to see the mark upgrade do other things (such as generate 2 extra random quantum per turn, or have the ability to turn it into a creature, cast a minor spell, see enemy hand, etc...) I also noticed that there are two cards shown on the mark of time (Skeleton and Cloak). Which one is the actual counter?

Also, will mark abilities be active in PvP or will they be temporarily disabled whenever you use it there?

Offline Mathematistic

• Reputation Power: 11
  • Mathematistic is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.Mathematistic is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • Games are never too easy.
Re: The trial https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37370.msg469606#msg469606
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 06:30:26 am »
Daily quests and mark upgrading rolled into one. Pretty cool, and I'd love to see the mark upgrade do other things (such as generate 2 extra random quantum per turn, or have the ability to turn it into a creature, cast a minor spell, see enemy hand, etc...)

If they are active in PvP, it would further increase the gap between veterans and newbies. Other than that, Awesome idea!
Offtopic: I could imagine a mark of time with nightmare counter...
PVE shouldn't be all about copying a deck code and converting time into electrum, score, and potentially rares.
If the only way to derive fun from a game is its PVP content, then non-hardcore players a.k.a. the mass are alienated from the hardcore community.

Offline furballdn

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 86
  • furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Facetious trollnotmod
  • Awards: Epic 3 Card Winner - Clockwork GolemBest Recruiter of FriendsBest JournalistBest Chat PainterBattle - Slayer of The Great ChimeraBest Crafted Relic of Other
Re: The trial https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37370.msg469608#msg469608
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 06:31:05 am »
Daily quests and mark upgrading rolled into one. Pretty cool, and I'd love to see the mark upgrade do other things (such as generate 2 extra random quantum per turn, or have the ability to turn it into a creature, cast a minor spell, see enemy hand, etc...)

If they are active in PvP, it would further increase the gap between veterans and newbies. Other than that, Awesome idea!
Offtopic: I could imagine a mark of time with nightmare counter...
Make a PvP3 with upgraded marks? There's already a bit of a gap between vets and newbies such as rare cards and upped cards.

Offline Xenocidius

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 49
  • Xenocidius is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Xenocidius is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Xenocidius is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Xenocidius is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Xenocidius is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Xenocidius is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Xenocidius is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Xenocidius is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Xenocidius is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.
  • Fear the Darkness ...
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeFavorite Community Member of 2011Weekly Tournament WinnerWinner of Design a Competition Competition
Re: The trial https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37370.msg469610#msg469610
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 06:32:37 am »
Oh, wow. This sounds awesome. One question: will you have to do the quest line each time you want to change your mark's counter thing?

I can hardly wait. :)
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Offline Cheesy111

• Reputation Power: 19
  • Cheesy111 is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Cheesy111 is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Cheesy111 is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • New to Elements
  • Awards: Battle League 2/2014 1st PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeBattle League 3/2012 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerBeginners League 2/2012 2nd Place
Re: The trial https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37370.msg469616#msg469616
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 06:37:10 am »
May I suggest that this be unable to apply to pillars/pendulums at a minimum, and perhaps novas as well?  It seems too powerful if one could choose, say, quantum pillars.

Offline rowcla

• Reputation Power: 11
  • rowcla is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.rowcla is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • poni poni poni poni
Re: The trial https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37370.msg469621#msg469621
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 06:52:25 am »
Hmm, as nice as the quests sound, i cant say i like the idea of the bonus to the mark, it kinda means that people who are already better at the game, or simply have the cards to make better decks, will have even more advantage...

Although i would like to be able to use it on SNs :P

Personally i would prefer it if it gave something which is already obtainable, like a shard or just rares in general.

Also have to say that im really not a fan of cards which are hard counters to specific other cards, i mean its not really fun when you play a game and your opponent has a mark for the key card in your deck.

Also, if this is added in, how will this apply to ai opponents? will some of them have them? Or does it only apply to ordinary players?

Oh and i also have a problem with the fact that we need to repeat the quests that change what the card is, this kinda encourages the use of a single deck, which im not really a fan of doing...

But yeah, as i said, getting a shard would be nice, maybe a random non shard, non nymph rare for the normal difficulty quests, and a shard for the hard difficulty quests?
Poni? Poni poni poni!

Offline OldTrees

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 114
  • OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • I was available for questions.
  • Awards: Brawl #2 Winner - Team FireTeam Card Design Winner
Re: The trial https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37370.msg469625#msg469625
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 06:59:42 am »
@Zanz
I assume there will be multiple Mark abilities to choose from at the end of the trial?

I personally think a mark that alternates between the element chosen at the trial and the element chosen at deckbuilding would be beneficial. It would expand support for Trio and Quad decks while not harming existing decks. This would create a more diverse metagame for the players to experience.
"It is common sense to listen to the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their readiness to listen to the wisdom of the fool."
"Nothing exists that cannot be countered." -OldTrees on indirect counters
Ask the Idea Guru: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32272.0.htm

Offline dragonsdemesne

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 63
  • dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!
  • Leeeeeeeeeeroyyyyyyyyy....
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 1/2014 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 3/2013 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 2/2013 WinnerBattle League 1/2013 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 3/2012 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 2/2012 3rd Place
Re: The trial https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37370.msg469631#msg469631
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 07:11:31 am »
I'd approve of any new pve content even if it had no reward behind it.  I'm very glad to see that it should be 'challenging' for veterans; I look forward to that!  The idea of having your mark 'do something', as well as the trial idea, sounds like some of the things I've suggested in the past, so I'm glad that either someone listened, or else someone else had the same idea :)

I'll reserve any balance issues after we see how easy/hard the challenges are and what benefits this gives.  I will ask one question, though; how will this affect players who have mark cards in their decks, or will it not be affected by those?

Since zanz will be watching this thread, I'll mention my desire to see software-supported tournaments as well as ways to earn nymphs besides oracle luck and marks besides weekly tournaments.  (obviously with comparable difficulty to winning a tournament now, just with more than a 1-2 times per week chance for marks and oracle spins for nymphs)

Offline The_Mormegil

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.
  • Intelligence is overrated.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWar #5 Winner - Team AetherTeam PvP WinnerNew Slot Winner - FamiliarDeadly Sin Winner - GluttonyFirst Budosei of BudokanWinner of Revive the Archive
Re: The trial https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37370.msg469643#msg469643
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 07:53:34 am »
This is a very cool idea, but it has a problem: it is repeatable but you don't have that much incentive to actually repeat it. It is not something you can do every day (akin to Oracle's predicted god), it's something you do once then forget about it until you need to re-attune your Mark to another card. Maybe make it so that you can only try the Trial once per day (resets with Oracle) and it has a VERY good reward?

Although, I can see this adding a whole new level to strategic PvP. It would KILL some decks: Pestal, for instance, would die against an anti-Devourer mark. Discord could have problems disrupting a low quanta start if your opponent suddently has +5 quanta when it comes into play. Hmmm...
[18:21:43] jmdt: elements is just math over top of a GUI
Kakerlake: I believe that there is no God as in something that can think by itself and does stuff that sounds way OP.

Offline TheonlyrealBeef

• Master of Darkness
  • Reputation Power: 61
  • TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!
  • Do not underestimate the power of the dark side!
  • Awards: War #14 Winner - Team Aether14th Trials - Master of Darkness2019 - PvP World ChampionSlice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeWar #13 Winner - Team Darkness13th Trials - Master of DarknessWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner4th Grandmaster Battle Winner - DarknessGold DonorSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWar #12 Winner - Team DarknessWeekly Tournament Winner12th Trials - Master of DarknessWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 9th Birthday Cake2017 - PvP World ChampionWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 3/2016 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeTeam PvP #4 Winner5th Trials - Master of Darkness4th Trials - Master of Darkness3rd Trials - Master of DarknessWeekly Tournament WinnerMS Paint Card Art #2 Winner
Re: The trial https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37370.msg469653#msg469653
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 08:29:06 am »
Hmm, although it seems fun it particularly seems to target Fractal decks, since these cards are actually played from hand. What about the notorious Gravity Nymph? Will it be able to spam Black Hole while you just have to sit back and suffer, regardless of you having a Mark that counters Black Hole? How will it affect Black Hole, anyway, quanta generated before (maybe leaving as little as 2 left) or after it is cast? (same with healing and say... Lightning, will targeting Lightning on your 4 HP kill you or leave you with 4/5 hp?)

Can it be switched on and off other than redoing the quest to switch it on again? I could see competitive forum events not liking the advantage one gains from a particular mark. Or maybe building entire events around it, we'll see.

anything
blarg: