*Author

Offline icecoldbro

• Reputation Power: 0
  • icecoldbro hides under a Cloak.
  • S
Re: Redeemable Codes Warning https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=10719.msg132286#msg132286
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 08:05:29 am »
who knew zanz had a sense of humor but i love it thnx zanz

glennert

Re: Redeemable Codes Warning https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=10719.msg132300#msg132300
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 08:38:26 am »
LOL.

But I remember someone saying that he clicked "Menu" when he got his first Nymph from the Oracle...
I actually sold my first Nymph by mistake... :D

edunavas

Re: Redeemable Codes Warning https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=10719.msg132359#msg132359
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 12:18:35 pm »
The solution!!

If you don´t wanna miss any code, don´t win any event.

bojengles77

Re: Redeemable Codes Warning https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=10719.msg132465#msg132465
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2010, 04:28:39 pm »
LOL.

But I remember someone saying that he clicked "Menu" when he got his first Nymph from the Oracle...
me too, :earth nymph, but i still pretend i have her when i'm saying how many nymphs i have =)

sSethia

Re: Redeemable Codes Warning https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=10719.msg132477#msg132477
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 04:40:56 pm »
LOL.

me too, :earth nymph, but i still pretend i have her when i'm saying how many nymphs i have =)
First stage of depression: Denial.

CB!

Re: Redeemable Codes Warning https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=10719.msg132484#msg132484
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 04:56:40 pm »
LOL.

First stage of depression: Denial.
That made me chuckle...

I wonder how many people have sold nymphs and are misreporting it on the poll... :)  Doesn't really matter though, cause I was just trying to get a sense of how often people were winning them...

Offline Bloodshadow

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 46
  • Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.
  • 吞天纳地,魔渡众生。天下万物,唯我至尊。
  • Awards: Ultimate Profile WinnerOpposites Attract
Re: Redeemable Codes Warning https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=10719.msg132515#msg132515
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 06:11:57 pm »
On my two accounts, I sold three Nymphs: :time :aether :entropy. The Time and Aether ones I considered useless, and for the Entropy one... I didn't need two Purple Nymphs, and I kinda needed the cash...
To be or not to be, I can do both at once. Go learn quantum mechanics, n00b.

Offline Xinef

• Reputation Power: 15
  • Xinef is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Xinef is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Xinef is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • Fluttershy's samurai
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday Cake
Re: Redeemable Codes Warning https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=10719.msg132527#msg132527
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 06:33:14 pm »
To be honest, I don't find this FAQ funny. I know it might be a reasonable decision for Zanz, as it spares him time, but on the other hand I see the point of view of a person with a poor Internet connection or a browser that likes to hang. It happened to me once that my flash player decided to hang after my visit to Oracle (though I've won nothing then), and I don't think anyone should be penalized for having unstable Internet connection either.

And I don't know if it could be done better from programmers point of view, because I don't know if communicating to the server after the reward is chosen causes any security risks (if it could be abused in any form), but if it doesn't then I guess that would be a better solution.

That said, if there are indeed any good reasons for such a choice (eg. Zanz saving 20 minutes of his life) it's worth it.
May the force of the D4HK side be with U ^_^
:time samurai

Offline zanzarinoTopic starter

• Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 496
  • zanzarino is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.zanzarino is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.zanzarino is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.zanzarino is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.zanzarino is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.zanzarino is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.zanzarino is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.zanzarino is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.zanzarino is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.zanzarino is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.zanzarino is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.zanzarino is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.zanzarino is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.zanzarino is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.zanzarino is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them
Re: Redeemable Codes Warning https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=10719.msg132557#msg132557
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2010, 07:22:16 pm »
And I don't know if it could be done better from programmers point of view, because I don't know if communicating to the server after the reward is chosen causes any security risks (if it could be abused in any form), but if it doesn't then I guess that would be a better solution.
If the code would not expire when you hit the "validate" button and BEFORE you can pick your reward you could exploit the system in many many ways.
Example: open multiple accounts, validate the same code at the same time on all of them, get multiple rewards from the same code. etc. etc.

That said, if there are indeed any good reasons for such a choice (eg. Zanz saving 20 minutes of his life) it's worth it.
There are thousands of online games out there, I can not even begin to explain how honored I feel when someone decides to pick my game out of such a huge pool of choices: 20 minutes is nothing, I often spend 8 hours non-stop working on elements when I am in the right mood. But you are missing the main point here, you are thinking about a 1:1 developer:player ratio. If every player today had an issue that required my attention for 20 minutes it would take me about 4,000,000 minutes to fix the issue for every single player (4,000,000 minutes means 7.6 years).

You are about to say "yes but the codes are 4 per tournament, not 200,000". The answer is: "it does not matter", why should I give a special treatment for player X because he won a tournament and ignore player Y that is having a problem with a ban or player W that lost the connection while getting his oracle's reward.

Also, poor internet connections will always put an online player at disadvantage, that started when Adam was about to lose a "tic tac toe online" game against Eve and turned off his modem. Since that day, your connection goes bad = you lose.

Offline Xinef

• Reputation Power: 15
  • Xinef is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Xinef is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Xinef is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • Fluttershy's samurai
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday Cake
Re: Redeemable Codes Warning https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=10719.msg132563#msg132563
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2010, 07:33:43 pm »
I'll try to use [sarcasm] and [don't consider it too serious] tags more often.

Well, maybe my style is not obvious enough, but when I write something like my post above it is usually half-serious half-for-the-lulz.

So yeah, I totally agree that you should not spend 20 minutes per player to solve such issues, no matter if it's 1 player or 1000000 players. And I understand the 1:n relation of developers to players. In fact I'm quite infuriated when eg. an academic teacher writing a test that will be solved by thousands of students does not spend 1 minute to check his work for mistakes thus wasting thousands of minutes for the students.

As for the validation before and after, I'm just interested if validating both before and after would solve anything, but once again, my post was not totally serious, and I know that if you decide to do so, then you probably have your reasons and you know better what you are doing.

As for the Adam and Eve, there are better solutions, but indeed more complex than the 'disconnect = you lose' one and sometimes simplicity is better. Sometimes not.

And please, don't assume what I'm thinking or what I am about to say. It's impolite and I guess most people consider it a bit offensive and should be avoided even when joking.

Xinef ^_^

EDIT:
As for the validation before and after, I was thinking about a system that communicates to the system before, so that the system knows the account that is about to use the code so that it will not allow any other account to use the code. Then after the reward is chosen it communicates which reward is chosen so the server can easily keep track of the number of 'before validations' and 'after validations'. If your computer broke in between these phases you simply log in once again to your account, use the same code (it's still valid because the reward has not been given, but it's already limited to your account) and then you can choose the reward and finish the process. Thus using multiple accounts could not be abused, but I'm not sure if it leaves other forms of abuse possible... quite likely, I'm not an expert.

Hmm... other solution would be to validate the code not after you write it in, but after you choose the reward... probably something is wrong with this one too, maybe gold is given before the nymph is chosen, that would break the whole thing...

oh, I guess I'm just thinking too much.

[/end of Xinef-specific-similar-to-sarcasm-thingy]
May the force of the D4HK side be with U ^_^
:time samurai

Offline Svenningen

• Reputation Power: 10
  • Svenningen is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.Svenningen is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • bepbop
Re: Redeemable Codes Warning https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=10719.msg132623#msg132623
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2010, 08:48:47 pm »
Q: I made a thread on the forum AFTER redeeming it, asking what to choose, going for breakfast. In the meanwhile Java crashed, and terminated game. Had to refresh, re-tried code, "Code invalid" /FML. (True story)

A: Since your the first, and this is ALOT of hard work for me, HOWEVER, since you are the first one retarded enough not to choose his reward at once, I will be nice, but just this once! Ill also make a long post on the forums, explaining that people should use their codes and just pick something right away. Everyone knows that you all wants mark of :fire cards =)

finkel

Re: Redeemable Codes Warning https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=10719.msg132637#msg132637
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2010, 09:08:38 pm »
You learn best from your own mistakes. After accidentally selling my 6 morning glories and miracles, I've been very quick to press Control+W or Alt+F4 or F5 as soon as I suspect I might have accidentally sold something. Had I merely read it somewhere, I wouldn't have that anxiety of remembering scrolling through all my wonderful rares and then having an empty screen upon clicking "light" D:

and yes, zanz is teh lulz.

blarg: