*Author

Offline Pineapple

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Pineapple hides under a Cloak.
  • Master of Cake
  • Awards: Silver DonorSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: Desiccation | Desiccation https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=30479.msg387765#msg387765
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 04:59:28 pm »
Desiccation (unupgraded) seems... --much-- stronger than :air Thunderstorm. Maybe Thunderstorm should be changed into Asphyxiation with the "Gain :air for each point of damage dealt." clause.
My only counter-reasoning for that kinda change for Thunderstorm would be that Air already has an alternate quanta generating mean, which is even free to play upgraded and furthermore, it deals 1-2 damage to the opponent itself. But this is probably for another topic.

And thanks for the feedback so far.

Also:

I personally have something against giving water hard cc [...]
How so?
Well, water currently has Freeze, Ice Bolt, Arctic Squid, and Ice Shield, bolt and flooding being the only water cards that can kill an opponent with only :water. I'm fine with something like "Deal 1 damage to each enemy creature unless their HPs are 1, up to 3 times. Gain :water equal to damage dealt." Because that has synergy with plague, fire shield, thunderstorm, etc, works as quanta generation for water, and can be as cheap as 3 :water / 2 :water.
This card, however, broadens mono-water outside of its thematic niche and has basically no synergy: it's just a firestorm/thunderstorm with a higher/lower cost determined by whether the opponent is swarming or not. Of course, Desiccation works better with freeze effects than if you outright kill the creature before using it because you're negating the damage but generating more quanta since the opponent has more creatures, but meh.

Again, these are my personal beliefs, and from an objective view the card is already complete as is.

Offline TikoTopic starter

• Reputation Power: 16
  • Tiko is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Tiko is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Tiko is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • Blessed is the mind too small for doubts..
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeCreator of Architon, False God of the RenaissanceSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake4th Trials - Master of WaterWeekly Tournament WinnerWinner of the Song of the Elders CompWinner of the Mythology Card Comp
Re: Desiccation | Desiccation https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=30479.msg387815#msg387815
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 07:42:00 pm »
Well, it was intended to strengthen Water itself - it already has so many synergies, it became more of a weakness than an advantage. The cards you listed while working awesomely, are easy to get around, mostly based on the same mechanic, and can only delay opposing creatures; a well rounded deck nowadays can easily bypass the defenses Water can provide, especially when expected. Also, Ice bolt is a great card, but very, very hard to kill with, and Flooding.. well, powerful in theory, but close to useless in practice.
You're more often than not forced to use one (or more) off elements not just to complement the deficiencies the element has, but to use many of its creatures to their full potential.

Also, if you think about it, the 1 | 2 damage Desiccation deals is hardly enough to kill anything (especially unupped, where it also severely wounds many of your own creatures also), with the exception of various 1 costed ones (like Skeletons, Déja Vus and such) and many of Fire's creatures - which is again intended; as a form of counter-action (which would come naturally from Water against Fire, at least in my opinion).
I see nothing wrong with broadening the theme Water holds in Elements, it should be the most mutable element after all.

"Water elementals have a good balance between offensive and defensive skills." - we need more offense.
:water   "..It is in this domain that the living suffer great extremes, it is here that the water-failures, driven to desperation, make start in a new element.
It is here that strange compromises are made and new senses are born."

Offline dracomageat

• Reputation Power: 15
  • dracomageat is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.dracomageat is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.dracomageat is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • Lord of Magnetism... ...Maybe.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeBrawl #2 Winner - Team FireSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: Desiccation | Desiccation https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=30479.msg389425#msg389425
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 07:00:02 pm »
I would suggest 2 things:
1) add ~2 to both costs as you will get 2+ back most of the time so the unupped effectively costs nothing as is.
2) reword the quanta gain ability so that the upped still only produces 1 per creature as 2 per creature could end up a lot of quanta gain for little cost on your part (1 card and a bit of waiting).

• Tiko is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Tiko is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Tiko is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeCreator of Architon, False God of the RenaissanceSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake4th Trials - Master of WaterWeekly Tournament WinnerWinner of the Song of the Elders CompWinner of the Mythology Card Comp
Re: Desiccation | Desiccation https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=30479.msg389449#msg389449
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 07:45:56 pm »
Thanks for your suggestion, draco; but:

1) Though it may seem that unupgraded it will "cost you nothing", as you'll very likely to gain back the quanta cost, but your own creatures will also pay for it with their health. And don't forget that even this minor scratch will bring down even the most durable Water creatures to be an easy prey to CC, not to mention the key ones, like Squids. The same reasoning why Pandemonium has such a cheap cost.

2) Yes, it could end up with an awesome quanta boost (with the maximum of 46 :water = 10 dmg boosted bolt), but that solely depends on your opponent. It's (almost) the same thing with Flooding: at first it seems extreme to kill 2 rows of creatures instantly for 3/2 :water (+upkeep), but then you realize that very few players fill up even the middle.. I guess you can be happy to accumulate around 10 :water this way, and even then it's not likely.
:water   "..It is in this domain that the living suffer great extremes, it is here that the water-failures, driven to desperation, make start in a new element.

Offline dracomageat

• Reputation Power: 15
  • dracomageat is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.dracomageat is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.dracomageat is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • Lord of Magnetism... ...Maybe.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeBrawl #2 Winner - Team FireSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: Desiccation | Desiccation https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=30479.msg389857#msg389857
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 05:02:00 pm »
If it hits your board aswell, the quanta gain is even greater than I expected but that does also prevent it from being a solely positive effect. Balance would need to be tested as I don't think we can accurately judge it from theory if it hits both sides.

Tarmaza

Re: Desiccation | Desiccation https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=30479.msg390323#msg390323
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 05:09:41 pm »
i really like the idea.

Offline Mithcairion

• Reputation Power: 12
  • Mithcairion is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.Mithcairion is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • Nerf the Shards, Buff the Cards!
Re: Desiccation | Desiccation https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=30479.msg390325#msg390325
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 05:13:22 pm »
I think that this is a good enough card to be used situationally, but not be so OP that it gets abused.  Obviously, it fails hard against creatureless decks, but against any sort of "swarm" creature decks it has a great deal of synergy with Ice Bolt.  I do like that it gives Water more in-element synergy, as well.  That being said, I do think that this is a little bit redundant with Flooding, as both are considered 'mass CC', but with the massive failing of Flooding being useful, I would rather have this card replace it.  Or, better yet, have the effect of Flooding be this, instead.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein
“Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life.” - Rachel Carson

Offline TribalTrouble

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 23
  • TribalTrouble is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.TribalTrouble is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.TribalTrouble is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.TribalTrouble is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday Cake
Re: Desiccation | Desiccation https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=30479.msg391044#msg391044
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 02:41:49 am »
I think that this is a good enough card to be used situationally, but not be so OP that it gets abused.  Obviously, it fails hard against creatureless decks, but against any sort of "swarm" creature decks it has a great deal of synergy with Ice Bolt.  I do like that it gives Water more in-element synergy, as well.  That being said, I do think that this is a little bit redundant with Flooding, as both are considered 'mass CC', but with the massive failing of Flooding being useful, I would rather have this card replace it.  Or, better yet, have the effect of Flooding be this, instead.
Yes. This would work a lot better as Flooding's effect. I also think that one of the first decks this should be tested in is a variation of the 30 creatures -because I can deck. Together with that and a few modifications you could get some pretty high-priced water creatures with little to no pillars in your deck out on the field. Imagine this + luciferin/hope together in a no-skill mass creature deck. This+Boneyard works well too.

Offline RavingRabbid

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 85
  • RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Lord Seagull
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeDeckbuilding Competition: The Face of Mother NatureSlice of Elements 6th Birthday Cake7th Trials - Master of WaterWinner of Warrior's Preparation - PvP Event14 Club - Most Expensive Players during War AuctionWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeTeam PVP #1 Winner5th Trials - Master of Water3rd Trials - Master of WaterChampionship League 3/2011 WinnerWinner of 2nd Off-Topic Quiz LeagueWinner of 2nd Element Quiz LeagueWinner of 1st Off-Topic Quiz LeagueWinner of 1st Element Quiz LeagueChampionship League 2/2011 WinnerSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake3-Man Team PvP #1 Winner
Re: Desiccation | Desiccation https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=30479.msg393396#msg393396
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2011, 07:48:35 pm »
I might used the unupped more than the upped, if this gets in game.

I liek this.

Zanz put in game pl0x.
There are things worse than eating tuna directly from the tin

Re: Desiccation | Desiccation https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=30479.msg394571#msg394571
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2011, 07:49:07 pm »
Would be a shame for the wonderful FX Flooding has :] I wouldn't want that to happen. I'm still a firm believer of that someday Flooding will be a very useful and fearsome card, just like it was when introduced.
But until then..

Thanks for your feedback so far.

Offline Jaymanfu

• Reputation Power: 6
  • Jaymanfu is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Do or do not, there is no try
  • Awards: War #4 Winner - Team DeathWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Desiccation | Desiccation https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=30479.msg394640#msg394640
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2011, 10:53:27 pm »
I like this card, though the picture is a little wierd

Offline furballdn

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 86
  • furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Facetious trollnotmod
  • Awards: Epic 3 Card Winner - Clockwork GolemBest Recruiter of FriendsBest JournalistBest Chat PainterBattle - Slayer of The Great ChimeraBest Crafted Relic of Other
Re: Desiccation | Desiccation https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=30479.msg394701#msg394701
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2011, 03:23:17 am »
This card looks perfect for an icebolt stall deck. Damages all opponent creatures? And gain water quanta? The cheap cost of it and the gain in water quanta makes me feel the card is a bit too strong. Maybe if it cost 5 :water or so?

blarg: