*Author

Offline waterzxTopic starter

• Reputation Power: 11
  • waterzx is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.waterzx is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • New to Elements
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Arctic Wind | Arctic Storm https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37371.msg469642#msg469642
« on: March 11, 2012, 07:49:01 am »
NAME:
Arctic Wind
ELEMENT:
Water
COST:
3 :water
TYPE:
Permanent
ATK|HP:
TEXT:
Freeze all empty permanent slots. Last 2 turns.
Any card placed on frozen slot is destroyed.
NAME:
Arctic Storm
ELEMENT:
Water
COST:
4 :water
TYPE:
Permanent
ATK|HP:
TEXT:
Freeze all opponent's empty permanent slots. Last 2 turns.
Any card placed on frozen slot is destroyed.
ART:
Original image (by Haneburger)  : http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Snow_storm_on_Glungezer.JPG
IDEA:
Waterzx
NOTES:
New version for Arctic Wind | Arctic Oscillation

These cards are now permanent and can be countered by destroying them, while upgraded version received a buff and a nerf at the same time.

Such changes are to avoid complete lockdown to opponent.

The mechanics is changed a bit, you can still play a permanent on frozen slot. But those permanents on frozen slots will be destroyed at the end of your turn, just like flooding. The theme is that the extreme coldness of Arctic Wind causes permanents to crack and break down.

But unlike flooding, immaterial permanent and EA | PA  will also be destroyed, otherwise this card would be UP

We need more PC. And we need more water cards.

But what can water do other than freezing a permanent which is an idea in everyone's mind ?

So I come up with a card that doesn't freeze permanent. It freezes empty permanent slot, giving water a soft PC which has incredible synergy with other elements

Possible uses :
1.Precognition /Mind gate. You got a hope in hand ? Never mind, let me freeze your shield slot

2.Earthquake / Trident. Saving some back-up pillars in hand ? Never mind, let me destroy your existing ones, and freeze every single permanent slot.

3.Against dim. shield / Sundial chain. Sorry, you are too late for the chain. Let me chain Arctic Wind !

One more point : Combine this with Flooding, now we make water one of the most unique elements in game. Access to board field effect = win !

One question. Do destroyed perms leave their spot open? For example if your opponent freezes your empty perm slots, could you destroy your Dagger and replace it with an Eternity? Or destroy an Hourglass to make room for a SoG.
I think leaving a usable slot after destroy would be better. At least give a chance for the opponent to counter the freeze

Anyway, you don't need to destroy a dagger to make room for a Eternity because a occupied weapon slot would not be frozen. So if you want to counter the Arctic Wind, bring a few daggers with you and occupy the weapon slot before the Wind comes :P

SERIES:

NAME:
Arctic Wind
ELEMENT:
Water
COST:
3 :water
TYPE:
Spell
ATK|HP:
TEXT:
Freeze all empty permanent slots for 2 turns.
No card can be placed on frozen slots.
NAME:
Arctic Oscillation
ELEMENT:
Water
COST:
4 :water
TYPE:
Spell
ATK|HP:
TEXT:
Freeze all empty permanent slots for 3 turns.
No card can be placed on frozen slots.
ART:
Original image (by Haneburger)  : http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Snow_storm_on_Glungezer.JPG
IDEA:
waterzx
NOTES:
We need more PC. And we need more water cards.

But what can water do other than freezing a permanent which is an idea in everyone's mind ?

So I come up with a card that doesn't freeze permanent. It freezes empty permanent slot, giving water a soft PC which has incredible synergy with other elements

Possible uses :
1.Precognition /Mind gate. You got a hope in hand ? Never mind, let me freeze your shield slot

2.Earthquake / Trident. Saving some back-up pillars in hand ? Never mind, let me destroy your existing ones, and freeze every single permanent slot.

3.Against dim. shield / Sundial chain. Sorry, you are too late for the chain. Let me chain Arctic Wind !

One more point : Combine this with Flooding, now we make water one of the most unique elements in game. Access to board field effect = win !

SERIES:

Offline Kardo

• Reputation Power: 2
  • Kardo is a Spark waiting for a buff.
Re: Arctic Wind | Arctic Oscillation https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37371.msg469652#msg469652
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 08:27:22 am »
Very creative form of PC if you ask me. Affects multiple perm slots and is relatively cheap but not cheap enough to play often on the first turn and prevent opposing pillars. Suffers from the fact that you have to play it before the perms are placed, and they can't be rewound. Early game this could be devastating.

I don't think it seems too OP or UP, though a bit concerned that 3 turns may be too long for the upped version.

If it were in the game I think I'd use it, probably similar to Silence except against Perms instead of Miracle/Chained shields. Seems very useful for rushes. Also would be an interesting addition to certain FG decks. Divine Glory has no form of offense while perm slots are frozen. Severely diminishes Octane's offensive output too (though it would be funny to see him OTK you when freeze ends, should he have enough unstable gas left in his hand).

• waterzx is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.waterzx is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • New to Elements
Re: Arctic Wind | Arctic Oscillation https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37371.msg469655#msg469655
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 08:36:50 am »
Thanks for the compliment. As for the upped version, my original plan was to have its cost at 5 :water but I was not very sure about the OP and UP thing so I changed it to 4 :water

The 3 :water  of unupped version is to prevent SN rainbow abuse, especially after the SN nerf.

But should this card freeze slots of both side ? I forgot to add the word "Opponent" into the card description but then I think it may be good to freeze both sides. What do you think ?

Offline Kardo

• Reputation Power: 2
  • Kardo is a Spark waiting for a buff.
Re: Arctic Wind | Arctic Oscillation https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37371.msg469663#msg469663
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 09:05:28 am »
I originally assumed it meant only the opponent's side. If it affects both players then it initially seems UP to me, but like all cards that affect both players you'll use it when it's advantageous to you. You wouldn't use Flooding in a fractal deck with non-water creatures after all.

The more I think about it the more I like the effect of freezing both players' empty perm slots. I'm sure others will know which is better for balancing the card.

Also I agree completely with the 3+ :water cost to prevent SN abuse.

One question. Do destroyed perms leave their spot open? For example if your opponent freezes your empty perm slots, could you destroy your Dagger and replace it with an Eternity? Or destroy an Hourglass to make room for a SoG.

Offline Nepycros

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.
  • My creativity was OP, so I had to nerf it.
Re: Arctic Wind | Arctic Oscillation https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37371.msg469667#msg469667
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 09:23:38 am »
First turn, magically draw 3 Water Towers and 1 of these. The opponent cannot play ANY permanents, and you're stuck with 3 towers.

So farfetched, it's pure chance if this combo works, but the combo itself is pretty hilarious, and gamechanging. I like this card! :D
Perception is the source of misunderstanding.

Why, yes. I do have a Mindgate necklace. It's how I ninja everyone.

• New to Elements
Re: Arctic Wind | Arctic Oscillation https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37371.msg469671#msg469671
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 09:33:38 am »

I read somewhere that the game will not record the spell effect. So any change occurring after the spell is cast won't affect the effect of the spell.

So I think a usable slot will be left if you destroy a perm after freeze when the game mechanics is considered.

But even if the game mechanics is not considered, I still think leaving a usable slot after destroy would be better. At least give a chance for the opponent to counter the freeze

Anyway, you don't need to destroy a dagger to make room for a Eternity because a occupied weapon slot would not be frozen. So if you want to counter the Arctic Wind, bring a few daggers with you and occupy the weapon slot before the Wind comes :P

• New to Elements
Re: Arctic Wind | Arctic Oscillation https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37371.msg469672#msg469672
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 09:35:00 am »
First turn, magically draw 3 Water Towers and 1 of these. The opponent cannot play ANY permanents, and you're stuck with 3 towers.

So farfetched, it's pure chance if this combo works, but the combo itself is pretty hilarious, and gamechanging. I like this card! :D
Don't forget that Towers can stack :)

And the occupied slot would not be frozen, so you can keep adding towers to the existing stack

Offline Rutarete

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 72
  • Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.
  • Creativity should be nurtured.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeRuby Shard of DeckbuildingSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: Arctic Wind | Arctic Oscillation https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37371.msg469903#msg469903
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 11:27:33 pm »
Very creative idea! Would this be better as a permanent?
It is the greatest mystery of all...
Rutarete: Roo tah reh teh
[22:50] <Jyi> meaning gets lost in translation... even in the same language.
My Decks

• New to Elements
Re: Arctic Wind | Arctic Oscillation https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37371.msg469938#msg469938
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 01:47:04 am »
Very creative idea! Would this be better as a permanent?
I did think of this possibility, giving the opponent a chance to remove the freeze. I might change it to permanent later.

Will anyone has objection against changing it to a permanent ?

Offline Drake_XIV

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 91
  • Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Powerful Harmony
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSummer and Winter Competition WinnerSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: Arctic Wind | Arctic Oscillation https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37371.msg469953#msg469953
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 02:12:23 am »
Rather, I support the change.  But 3/4 for permanent lockdown?  I mean, if it were like flooding where it affected specific spots, then sure.  But flooding still allows your opponent to get some damage in, unless they're water and can keep them in.  What if it was a 6/8 permanent, lasts two turns, butthe upgraded only affects the opponent's side?

• New to Elements
Re: Arctic Wind | Arctic Oscillation https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37371.msg469964#msg469964
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 02:38:31 am »
Rather, I support the change.  But 3/4 for permanent lockdown?  I mean, if it were like flooding where it affected specific spots, then sure.  But flooding still allows your opponent to get some damage in, unless they're water and can keep them in.  What if it was a 6/8 permanent, lasts two turns, butthe upgraded only affects the opponent's side?
The upgraded version affecting the only opponent's side is one of the possible changes I considered. As some people have suggested that 3 turns freeze is too long, I think this change is sure to be implemented.

But the 6|8 cost seems too high. This card is only useful at the beginning, before everything is set in place. If the cost is too high, I'm afraid this card will become another Trident

Offline Drake_XIV

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 91
  • Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Powerful Harmony
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSummer and Winter Competition WinnerSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: Arctic Wind | Arctic Oscillation https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37371.msg469968#msg469968
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 02:43:53 am »
Okay, what if it were 3/5?

anything
blarg: