*Author

Offline The OracleTopic starter

• The Oracle
  • Reputation Power: 60
  • The Oracle shines with the light of the Morning Glory!The Oracle shines with the light of the Morning Glory!The Oracle shines with the light of the Morning Glory!The Oracle shines with the light of the Morning Glory!The Oracle shines with the light of the Morning Glory!The Oracle shines with the light of the Morning Glory!The Oracle shines with the light of the Morning Glory!The Oracle shines with the light of the Morning Glory!The Oracle shines with the light of the Morning Glory!The Oracle shines with the light of the Morning Glory!The Oracle shines with the light of the Morning Glory!The Oracle shines with the light of the Morning Glory!
  • The voice of Elements
Forum Brawl - Rules https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33794.msg426242#msg426242
« on: November 16, 2011, 04:49:42 pm »

ART BY TOOSCHEE | LOGO BY SCAREDGIRL

What is Forum Brawl?
Forum Brawl is a forum event where 12 teams compete against each other if different tasks that happen all around the forums.

Teams will have 7 members, each with their own special role. Players go head-to-head against players from other teams by doing tasks based on what their role is. The community decides which players perform the best, and points are awarded accordingly. After 6 rounds of brawling, the team with the highest score will be the winner.

What makes Forum Brawl different from most other events is the fact that there is no PvP in Forum Brawl. The event is all about creativity, artistic skills, and most importantly, forum awesomeness.

Brawlmaster
We will have two Brawlmasters who are responsible for Forum Brawl event. They will have an active role in designing the tasks for each round, and will handle all the day-to-day actions like posting new topics or replying to questions about the event. Brawlmasters will be appointed by the Elements Council. This time around they are Naesala and UTAlan.

How to Join Forum Brawl
Forum Brawl will usually happen right after War event ends. Once the sign-up topic is posted, any community members may join the event. When you join, you need to choose the top 3 roles you would be interested in, in order of preference. Picking the right role for you is extremely important because it will affects what you will be doing in the event, so please do not choose a role you are not familiar with. All this will be explained in detail in the sign-up topic. If a role does not receive enough people wishing to be in it, it may be dropped from the event.

Roles
1. Boss
Each team will have a Boss whose main responsibility is to build the team. Boss will also participate in the event by dueling other Bosses in random tasks. Boss is different from other roles because you cannot sign-up as a boss. Masters of each element will first be given the opportunity to become a Boss. If a Master is unable or unwilling to join the event, he or she can name a replacement. The event is not compulsory, so Masters should not be afraid to use a replacement if they feel they do not have enough time or interest.

2. Card Designer
Card Designer duels other Card Designers by producing a new card idea based on theme and restrictions posted each round.

3. Deckbuilder
Deckbuilder duels other Deckbuilders by building unique decks based on theme and restrictions posted each round.

4. Artist
Artist produces unique Elements related art. This category includes any visual medium, so photography, film, and such are permissible in addition to drawings.

5. Writer
Writer produces unique Elements related stories and poems.

6. Off-Topicker
Off-Topicker gets tasks that are related to one of the section in Off-Topic Discussions. This role requires well-rounded skills in many different areas (or amazing Google/Wikipedia skills).

7. Forum Expert
Forum Expert works with many of the things that make the forums great that don't fit into above categories (Wiki, Tools, etc.).

Building the Team
All the players will be divided into the roles based on their preffered roles then added to an alphabetical list. This list will then be sent to all 12 Bosses, who will reorder the list from most preferred to least preferred player. Brawlmasters will build the teams by first arranging all 12 lists in random order, then going through each list, one by one, picking the most preferred available player, until each team has a total of 7 players (Boss + 6 others). After all the teams are full, any player without a team, will unfortunately be left out of the event.

Rounds
Forum Brawl has a total of 6 rounds, each lasting 7 days. A new round will start as soon as the last one ends. Tasks will be relatively simple so 7 days should be more than enough time to perform them. Overall workload of Forum Brawl will be much less than in events like War and Trials. The event lasts 7-8 weeks in total.

Scoring
Scoring will be based on community vote and bonus points given by the Expert Panel.

1. Community Vote
Poll with all the submissions, anonymously given and in random order. One vote for each forum member who is Jr. Member above. Poll runs for 6 days. Submissions are ranked based on the final results of the poll. Because the voting is to be anonymous to lower bias, self advertising is grounds for automatically losing a round. Don't worry, after votes are tallied everyone's name will then be shown so you can receive proper credit! In the event of a tie, points for the places that tied will be added together and divided equally (e.g. 1st and 2nd tie, both teams would gain 10 points). Any leftover points will be dropped.

1st = 12 points
2nd = 8 points
3rd = 5 points
4th = 3 points
5th = 2 points
6th = 1 points
7th = 0 points
8th = 0 points
9th = 0 points
10th = 0 points
11th = 0 points
12th = 0 points
2. Expert Panel
Both Brawlmasters and Administrators pick their favorites in all 6 categories. Each submission that is picked by one of the members of the Expert Panel, scores an additional 2 points. One submission can receive bonus points from more than one Expert Panel member.
Scoring will happen during rounds so that the scoring of round 1 will happens during round 2, scoring of round 2 happens during round 3, etc.

Winner
The team that has the most points after all 6 rounds, wins the event. All members of the team will receive a cool forum award icon and tons of respect.

This event is no longer under construction, but we still appreciate feedback. If you have any ideas on how to improve the rules, please post it here. Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 08:06:22 am by Naesala »

Offline PlayerOa

• Master of Time
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • PlayerOa soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.PlayerOa soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.PlayerOa soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.PlayerOa soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.PlayerOa soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.PlayerOa soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.PlayerOa soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.PlayerOa soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.
  • Time will show
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 13th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 12th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner (2020.12.20.)14th Trials - Master of Time2nd Elements Reunion Day Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeElements League 3/2019 1st Place13th Trials - Master of TimeWinner of Elements Infinity War #1Silver DonorWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerElements League 2/2019 1st PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerElements League 1/2019 3rd PlaceSlice of Elements 10th Birthday Cake1st Elements Reunion Day Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner7th Trials - Master of TimeWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeWar #4 Winner - Team DeathWeekly Tournament WinnerMS Paint Card Art #4 WinnerSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: Forum Brawl - Rules https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33794.msg426247#msg426247
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 05:02:08 pm »
This sounds very interesting.
War #3 - Life || War #4 - Death || War #5, #6, #7, #9, #13, #14 - Time || War #8, #12 - Air

Offline Djhopper :)

• Reputation Power: 7
  • Djhopper :) is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • New to Elements
Re: Forum Brawl - Rules https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33794.msg426259#msg426259
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 05:38:25 pm »
I approve. This would be a good thing to have on your CV if you ever wanted to run for elements council.

Offline EmeraldTiger

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 61
  • EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!
  • :life :aether
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: Forum Brawl - Rules https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33794.msg426269#msg426269
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 05:51:58 pm »
This sounds like something I could do. ;)
If Nowhere is Somewhere, and Somewhere is Over there, How can we be Anywhere?
:life :aether

Offline Naesala

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 52
  • Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday Cake
Re: Forum Brawl - Rules https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33794.msg426296#msg426296
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 07:08:46 pm »
Sounds fun, I may be up for this.
Your favorite Hotyugh

Offline kev

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 54
  • kev brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.kev brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.kev brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.kev brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.kev brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.kev brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.kev brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.kev brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.kev brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.kev brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.
  • Ungrounded
  • Awards: Winner of Team PvP #5Master of Multipliers - Scorgasm WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeChampionship League 1/2010 3rd PlaceWeekly Tournament Winner2nd Trials - Master of FireFavorite Staff Member of 2011Weekly Tournament WinnerMVP of Draft #2Make a Quiz winnerTeam PvP #3 WinnerSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeWeekly PvP Tournament WinnerWeekly PvP Tournament WinnerWar #1 Winner - Team Fire
Re: Forum Brawl - Rules https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33794.msg426300#msg426300
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 07:18:26 pm »
Sounds awesome.  Props to SG or whoever came up with the idea.

It feels a little odd to have an elements Event lasting six weeks long that doesn't involve the game itself.  Like maybe we should find a way to include logins and ad views.  Dunno.

I recognize the above is more a description rather than rules, but here are some notes for when the rules are being written :) :
  • When you say "players go head-to-head" do you really mean all twelve Artists compete against each other?  In my mind head-to-head means one-on-one, which'd mean some kind of brackets system.
  • Tiebreaker might not be a bad idea to note.
    • What happens if two artists receive the same number of votes?  12 points each?
    • What happens if two teams are tied at the end of 6 rounds?
  • To what extent is it okay I help my teammates with their tasks?
  • Player replacement rules?
  • Will Brawlmasters be responsible for all event ideas or will you be taking community ideas?

Scaredgirl

Re: Forum Brawl - Rules https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33794.msg426315#msg426315
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 07:49:43 pm »
It feels a little odd to have an elements Event lasting six weeks long that doesn't involve the game itself.  Like maybe we should find a way to include logins and ad views.  Dunno.
Yes, that is true. Hmm.. I guess we could consider replacing the "Deckbuilder" role with "PvE'er". Although deckbuilding is big part of War, I wanted to add it here as well, because it's a big part of the forums too. But if we had a role like PvE'er, we could include deckbuilding to that, but expand it to other things as well.

• When you say "players go head-to-head" do you really mean all twelve Artists compete against each other?  In my mind head-to-head means one-on-one, which'd mean some kind of brackets system.
  • Tiebreaker might not be a bad idea to note.
    • What happens if two artists receive the same number of votes?  12 points each?
    • What happens if two teams are tied at the end of 6 rounds?
  • To what extent is it okay I help my teammates with their tasks?
  • Player replacement rules?
  • Will Brawlmasters be responsible for all event ideas or will you be taking community ideas?
Yes, all twelve compete against each other. Original plan was to make 1vs1 seeding like in War, but that would probably complicate things too much.

In case of a tie, a Brawlmaster can cast a vote to break the tie.

Two teams being tied at the end of 6 rounds is pretty unlikely, but if it happens, we could have one last sudden death round between the Bosses of those teams.

I think that the whole team should be able to chip in by throwing in ideas or helping by other means. It's not that big of a deal really if the person gets outside help, as long as that outside help is from inside the team.

We will ask community ideas later. It's going to be done using PM's so that we don't spoil the surprise.

Thanks for the comments.

Offline ralouf

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 35
  • ralouf is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.ralouf is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.ralouf is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.ralouf is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.ralouf is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.ralouf is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.ralouf is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.
  • Elements lover
  • Awards: War #5 - Sportsmanship AwardWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeChampionship League 1/2012 WinnerWar #4 Winner - Team DeathWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: Forum Brawl - Rules https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33794.msg426317#msg426317
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 08:07:10 pm »
I like this idea hope I'll be available for this :)
TEAM
:deathbig
War Se7en

Offline FlareGlutox

• Reputation Power: 4
  • FlareGlutox is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • My ingame name is actually Glutox.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: Forum Brawl - Rules https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33794.msg426320#msg426320
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 08:11:56 pm »
Sounds nice and makes me come up with the idea to merge the different roles and tasks for one of the rounds.

To clarify what I mean, an exaggerated example would be to have the Card designer make an interesting card, the Artist produce some art especially for that card, the Deckbuilder form a False God deck around that card, the Writer to come up with a name and story for that False God, and the Off-Topicker to find and explain some scientific and/or mythological context, that fits the card or the False God pretty well.
This is of course just an example and it would also fit my idea, if just two or three roles were merged, but I think it's pretty clear what I mean now.
<epic signature here>

Offline nilsieboy

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • nilsieboy is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.nilsieboy is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.nilsieboy is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.nilsieboy is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.nilsieboy is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.
  • Always trust badgers.
  • Awards: 6th Trials - Master of GravitySlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake5th Trials - Master of Gravity4th Trials - Master of GravitySlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake24 Club (cost 24+ cards during War auction)Beginners League 3/2010 2nd Place3-Man Team PvP #1 WinnerTeam PvP #1 WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Forum Brawl - Rules https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33794.msg426329#msg426329
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 08:47:12 pm »
what about the trials, will they happen at the same time?
:gravity nilsieboy :gravity
I wondered why the titan was getting bigger, then it hit me. ~gravity

Offline Jappert

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 27
  • Jappert is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Jappert is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Jappert is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Jappert is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Jappert is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.
  • New to Elements
  • Awards: War #4 - Sportsmanship AwardVery Short Story: Who are the Elders? WinnerThe Binder of Elements (Forum Profile Deck Winner)
Re: Forum Brawl - Rules https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33794.msg426333#msg426333
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 08:53:36 pm »
This sounds like something I could do. ;)
You'd go for 24 cards+ if there was an auction involed!

I personally like Card Design and love deck building. That Deckbuilder role is most appealing of all to me!

Offline RavingRabbid

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 85
  • RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Lord Seagull
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeDeckbuilding Competition: The Face of Mother NatureSlice of Elements 6th Birthday Cake7th Trials - Master of WaterWinner of Warrior's Preparation - PvP Event14 Club - Most Expensive Players during War AuctionWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeTeam PVP #1 Winner5th Trials - Master of Water3rd Trials - Master of WaterChampionship League 3/2011 WinnerWinner of 2nd Off-Topic Quiz LeagueWinner of 2nd Element Quiz LeagueWinner of 1st Off-Topic Quiz LeagueWinner of 1st Element Quiz LeagueChampionship League 2/2011 WinnerSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake3-Man Team PvP #1 Winner
Re: Forum Brawl - Rules https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33794.msg426339#msg426339
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 09:07:41 pm »
what about the trials, will they happen at the same time?
You silly.

This event is the new War.
Or well, it can be.
Masters will now not only have to master the Art of War, but they will have to master Art itself.

There are things worse than eating tuna directly from the tin

blarg: Naesala,UTAlan