*Author

Offline GGTopic starter

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 28
  • GG is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.GG is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.GG is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.GG is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.GG is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.
  • Retired from everything...
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 5th Birthday Cake3rd Trials - Master of Gravity2nd Trials - Master of GravityC-C-C-Combo Maker Winner!Weekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 1/2011 WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 3/2010 2nd PlaceNew Passive Ability Competition Winner
Force Shield | Force Shield https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32420.msg409640#msg409640
« on: October 14, 2011, 04:02:57 pm »
NAME:
Force Shield
ELEMENT:
Gravity
COST:
3 :gravity
TYPE:
Permanent (Shield)
ATK|HP:
TEXT:
Shield: physical damage is reduced by 1, non-physical damage is reduced by 3.
NAME:
Force Shield
ELEMENT:
Gravity
COST:
5 :gravity
TYPE:
Permanent (Shield)
ATK|HP:
TEXT:
Shield: physical damage is reduced by 2. Non-physical damage is reduced by 6.
ART:
moomoose
IDEA:
girlsgeneration
NOTES:
ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR A NEW NAME / NEW ART FOR THIS?

One problem that Gravity has had for a long time is the lack of a proper shield. I made this simple but an interesting shield to cover that problem.

Force Shield blocks 1 (2 upgraded) physical damage as a typical shield. However, it also reduces additional damage from ANY other damage sources. This includes spell, creature ability (ex: Voodoo Doll), permanent (ex: Unstable Gas), and even poison.

Long live Gravity.
SERIES:
Ex-Master of :gravity, still a fervid supporter! GO GRAVY!

Offline GGTopic starter

• Legendary Member
  • GG is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.GG is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.GG is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.GG is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.GG is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 5th Birthday Cake3rd Trials - Master of Gravity2nd Trials - Master of GravityC-C-C-Combo Maker Winner!Weekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 1/2011 WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 3/2010 2nd PlaceNew Passive Ability Competition Winner
Re: Force Shield | Force Shield https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32420.msg409641#msg409641
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 04:05:11 pm »
One question : Does anyone know how bolt spells mechanics work?

For example, if you have 40 :fire and use a Fire Bolt, you would deal 15 damage. However, is that damage considered as a simple 15, or 3+3+3+3+3?

This is rather important to know for this card, since with a Force Shield, the opponent would receive 12 damage if the first case is correct and 0 if the second.

Offline moomoose

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 37
  • moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.
  • I'm big in Japan.
  • Awards: Winner of the Mark Redesign competition!
Re: Force Shield | Force Shield https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32420.msg409643#msg409643
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 04:08:15 pm »
i like the idea of reducing non-physical damage rather than simply being a spell reflect shield.  minor quibble: i understand you are set on :gravity being the element, but the name/theme could use some tweaking to correlate better with gravity.
moose dont say moo.

Offline GGTopic starter

• Legendary Member
Re: Force Shield | Force Shield https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32420.msg409644#msg409644
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 04:10:50 pm »
i like the idea of reducing non-physical damage rather than simply being a spell reflect shield.  minor quibble: i understand you are set on :gravity being the element, but the name/theme could use some tweaking to correlate better with gravity.
Any suggestions?

And I also forgot to mention I'm requesting a better art for this...

Offline moomoose

• Legendary Member
  • moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.
  • I'm big in Japan.
Re: Force Shield | Force Shield https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32420.msg409661#msg409661
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 04:45:29 pm »
i can try to whip up some art when i get home, it would probably be something similar to what i did with the confusion guard/aegis tho.  let me know if that was what you were after or not so i dont make something you wouldnt be interested in heh

as far as the name/theme, are is it okay to associate gravity with magnetism?  if so, i would suggest "gauss shield" (or some other synonym for shield), which is basically a fancy term for using magnets to move things (such as projectiles in a gauss rifle), but in this case as a repellent.

also, i just want to add that this concept is a fantastic example of a very good novel idea which is not overly complicated.  this is the kind of idea we should all aspire to contribute.

moose dont say moo.

Offline Naesala

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 52
  • Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 15th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday Cake
Re: Force Shield | Force Shield https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32420.msg409701#msg409701
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 06:01:41 pm »
One question : Does anyone know how bolt spells mechanics work?

For example, if you have 40 :fire and use a Fire Bolt, you would deal 15 damage. However, is that damage considered as a simple 15, or 3+3+3+3+3?

This is rather important to know for this card, since with a Force Shield, the opponent would receive 12 damage if the first case is correct and 0 if the second.
I believe its 3+3+3+3+3, thats how the animation makes it appear last I checked
Your favorite Hotyugh

Offline moomoose

• Legendary Member
  • I'm big in Japan.
Re: Force Shield | Force Shield https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32420.msg409711#msg409711
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 06:14:04 pm »
that's true, that is what is displayed.  however, what the game displays and what it actually calculates are not always one in the same.  for instance, cast holy light on an opponent with mirror shield up- it will display "reflect" text above the shield when holy light is cast, but the heal will occur for them anyway.  so without access to the code and knowledge of how to read it's language, i dont know if its possible to know how this is exactly interpreted inside the game.
moose dont say moo.

Offline EvaRia

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 45
  • EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.
  • I~am~Eva, ~Chillwind~ I~am~Ria, ~Searwind~
  • Awards: War #5 Winner - Team Aether
Re: Force Shield | Force Shield https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32420.msg409760#msg409760
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 07:40:08 pm »
Since you would die and then the rest of the firebolt animations show up, I assume it does 15, not 3+3+3+3+3.

Offline dragonsdemesne

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 63
  • dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!
  • Leeeeeeeeeeroyyyyyyyyy....
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 1/2014 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 3/2013 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 2/2013 WinnerBattle League 1/2013 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 3/2012 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 2/2012 3rd Place
Re: Force Shield | Force Shield https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32420.msg409823#msg409823
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 09:00:27 pm »
I can't believe I'm saying this to the master of gravity, but I disagree with your comment about gravity shield :p  That is a very effective shield, particularly in PvE, though it suffers somewhat in PvP due to the prevalence of rush decks there.

On the topic of this new shield, I really like the idea.  It's costed appropriately, and gives a useful, but not overpowered, secondary effect in reducing direct damage dealt to the player.

As for the part about asking whether the damage is dealt in increments or in one bunch, it doesn't really matter because that's probably extremely easy to change in code if this shield or something like it ever made it into the game.  I've done a bit of programming, and the part of the code that deals with that is probably smaller than the length of my post.

Offline moomoose

• Legendary Member
  • I'm big in Japan.
Re: Force Shield | Force Shield https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32420.msg409868#msg409868
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 09:38:49 pm »
"As for the part about asking whether the damage is dealt in increments or in one bunch, it doesn't really matter because that's probably extremely easy to change in code if this shield or something like it ever made it into the game.  I've done a bit of programming, and the part of the code that deals with that is probably smaller than the length of my post."

while that is possibly true, the amount of code that may be intermingled with that code, and affected by any changes of that code, may be much more far reaching.  i too work with code (albeit R for statistical analyses scripts) and it is often very much a janga effect.  make one simple change and then a ton of other pieces of code either shift in a way you didnt want, or flat out break.  probably the easiest way to deal with that would be with the coding of this shield itself, with a restriction on the per-source part.

also, another cool part of this shield is that it would have an impact on psion :)
moose dont say moo.

Offline Xenocidius

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 49
  • Xenocidius is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Xenocidius is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Xenocidius is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Xenocidius is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Xenocidius is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Xenocidius is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Xenocidius is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Xenocidius is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Xenocidius is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.
  • Fear the Darkness ...
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeFavorite Community Member of 2011Weekly Tournament WinnerWinner of Design a Competition Competition
Re: Force Shield | Force Shield https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32420.msg409879#msg409879
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 09:56:02 pm »
I've checked the source and can confirm that the damage is indeed dealt as one. The animation is just that: nothing but an animation.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Offline moomoose

• Legendary Member
  • I'm big in Japan.
Re: Force Shield | Force Shield https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32420.msg409905#msg409905
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 10:29:16 pm »
on to the art- i seem to remember there being high quality element icons on the board somewhere, anyone know the post?
moose dont say moo.

anything
blarg: