*Author

Offline KuroaitouTopic starter

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 82
  • Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeMaster of Mafia10th Trials - Master of TimeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSilver DonorSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner
From Sketch to Slime: how I designed 'Sludge' https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=30514.msg387743#msg387743
« on: September 01, 2011, 04:09:40 pm »
I'm a terrible artist, let alone an artistic person. But with that said, I still wanted to at least -try- making some hand-drawn (or should I say 'Mouse-drawn'?) artwork for once instead of resorting to pure image manipulation from those royalty-free websites. This picture initially started when vrt was hosting the art classes; although I wanted to join the classes, I felt that my presence in the class would be somewhat overstepping certain boundaries, and instead I simply admired and read the lessons, trying to absorb and understand the material of what vrt and pepokish were trying to say.

On that note - PLEASE DO NOT COPY WHAT I DO. When I say that, I mean that there is a MUCH more efficient/logical/practical/formal/better way to draw artwork, considering that the piece for Sludge actually took almost 2 months to really complete. It's sad that it would take me this long to draw something so terrible, but hey, someone has to start somewhere, right? ^^;

That said, I initially had some inspirations on how to draw my sludge from both of these wonderful images:

So then I opened up pixlr and began some sketching.

A pretty basic sketch; at this point I was actually testing out the opacity of the brush before really doing anything.

Tracings around the main image, and I began doing some actual 'line' drawing. The border of the Sludge was messy and more about trying to figure out what the shape of it should be like; like drawing a circle, sometimes you have to 'repeat' the motion in order to get it just right. I also added a mouth to make it look "cute".

Erased the outside part of the images. Started to hate it at this point, so I stopped sketching for about 1 month...

...and coming back to it, I hated the original sketch, so I 'started' over. I extensively used the 'Smudge' option and tried to compress the Sludge into a more befitting creature silhouette so that the lines weren't all over the place, then did another 'basic' drawing over the smudged lines from the original sketch for the actual skeleton. I figured that the Sludge should leave a 'trail of residue' considering its liquid-like composition, and added that in alongside a more definitive head-shape and neckline. Finally, I began adding mute shades of purple to the picture to see how it would fare in comparison to the basic grey.

I redefined the mouth so that it would be more 'centered' and not off-putting like it was before.

Here, I used the paint-bucket and (de?)selected the contiguous option to apply some random color. Bad idea obviously, because I lost definition of the shape I was aiming for. I also tried sketching a (poorly-designed) arm on the left, and retraced key parts of the guy with a weird gooey-purple brush.

I got fed up with the previous image, so I decided (again) to make one more skeleton of the creature, again reapplying the mouth, arm, and its back line. The 'drops' were fairly experimental, since I realized that slime should be... well, 'goopy' and dripping off its base as a Death creature.

I forgot to save the sketch, but between 7 and 8, I really began to start drawing the 'lines' of slime for Sludge. The arm was reworked so that it was sort of a 'couture' pose (think of all the ladies who do that "push the inside of your stomach/hip and bend your elbow forward"), except it failed hardcore. I used a lot of the 'stretch', smudge, and 'sharpen' tool to also try to get that trail of slime as far back as possible.

After finalized the shape and erasing some miscues, I began massive shading; I selected a ton of different purples and overlayed them on top of each other to give the Sludge an effect of having an ambiguous chemical substance. Dodge, Burn, Pinch, and the clone tool were used to shrink 'problem' spots, apply shading to certain areas, and apply weird effects to the slime itself. I also drew a little 'dribble' at its mouth to express its sluggish behavior. And of course, I added a pre-mature shadow.:P

Colored the inside of the mouth, then HARDCORE began detailing that dribble in its mouth so it looked like a coagulated 'drop' that couldn't break off from the ceiling of its 'upper lip'. I decided the trail of slime should extend beyond the background (so it looked like it could actually move quite a distance), then lightened up some spots to give it that 'reflective liquid' feel to it.

Adding another separate layer to the image to the background, then began spamming the various 'earth/cracks/soil' brushes that had their own unique little formations and flipped, duplicated, and blurred some of them so that they could have the essence of the slime being on desolate land. I also had to stretch the image twice and paste different backgrounds so that the cracks could look more plausible (as if he was standing on them rather than having the cracks be 2-dimensional as a backdrop). The little spot left of his shoulder is an obvious clue to that issue. Then I pasted the slime on top of that.

Erased the 'white border' around the slime, darkened shadows (as if I wasn't doing it enough already XD), and fixed the background slightly...

Finally lightened up the image, and made the trail more 'glossy' as a sign of it being somewhat evaporated (?) or absorbed by the cracked earth.

(http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,30030.0.html)
And then I posted the images. :)

...I think I need to rethink my strategy when it comes down to creating art, but here it is. ^^; Hope you all enjoyed reading this!

Offline GG

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 28
  • GG is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.GG is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.GG is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.GG is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.GG is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.
  • Retired from everything...
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 5th Birthday Cake3rd Trials - Master of Gravity2nd Trials - Master of GravityC-C-C-Combo Maker Winner!Weekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 1/2011 WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 3/2010 2nd PlaceNew Passive Ability Competition Winner
Re: From Sketch to Slime: how I designed 'Sludge' https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=30514.msg387744#msg387744
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 04:11:32 pm »
And you call yourself a terrible artist. RIIIGHHHT......

Amazing post anyway.
Ex-Master of :gravity, still a fervid supporter! GO GRAVY!

Re: From Sketch to Slime: how I designed 'Sludge' https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=30514.msg387753#msg387753
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 04:26:35 pm »
Well, this IS a far cry from a realistic mammal-like creature or semi-realistic facial features.  But there is little substitute for just trying things and pushing ahead with something.  I took a similar process to go from using single stock images for my card art, up to using several stock images and playing with them a lot to make my own art - similar to how Product does things.

Doing art on a computer is so much different from doing it on paper!

Offline Pineapple

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Pineapple hides under a Cloak.
  • Master of Cake
  • Awards: Silver DonorSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: From Sketch to Slime: how I designed 'Sludge' https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=30514.msg387757#msg387757
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 04:32:43 pm »
I think it'd look more realistic without the black line-art..
Also, still confused at what the lighter part is supposed to be...vapor?

Nonetheless, definitely a fun read. :P

Offline Krava

• Reputation Power: 5
  • Krava is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • New to Elements
Re: From Sketch to Slime: how I designed 'Sludge' https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=30514.msg387793#msg387793
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 06:13:03 pm »
Ok i tried too in like 15 minutes (with mouse would take more) to make a sludge. So to show how i worked.

1. a rough sketch of "skeleton" where i want head and claws

2. Fill with basic color

3. make darker areas to see where slime flows, to get the shape. Also eyes and mouth

4. on the oposite side of dark, a light to bring shape more out. also tried a little smudge but i think it was not needed.

5. very bright color to highlight and give glistening feel. lame done but it was a speedpaint.

6. Slapped some lame background i still suck at that and erased some sloppiness with rubber and sharpened claws.

7. over all other layer created layer and set it to overlay. then with large brush and little hardness "blended" colors i.e. put some orange and dark blue on shape to blend it with background. and reddened background a little.

thats it, and it could be done much better and it is very easy with tablet, but its doable with mouse too just slower.

Offline Kamietsu

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 47
  • Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.
  • Old to Elements
  • Awards: Spell Art Competition WinnerWinner of the MASH-UP CompetitionFunny Card Competition WinnerWinner of
Re: From Sketch to Slime: how I designed 'Sludge' https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=30514.msg387914#msg387914
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 12:27:38 am »
I liked this. I love seeing step by step creations. I should do some of my own. Though my process is usually very trial and error. I do a lot of trial and error, spending up to usually a few hours total on making something that doesn't even make it into the final image.
╔╦╦═╦══╦╗  ( ̄ー ̄) --Snorlax says:
║═╣╬║║║║║    Eat your shower, brush your toothpaste, take your teeth.
╚╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╝

Offline ZephyrPhantom

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 101
  • ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeFlavour Text Revival Competition - WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: From Sketch to Slime: how I designed 'Sludge' https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=30514.msg387950#msg387950
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 01:32:55 am »
Doing art on a computer is so much different from doing it on paper!
^This. If you don't understand, then try to draw the same image on a computer and paper.

Feels like an Art-Class quality read, Kuro (which means it's great :) ).  I'll have to try that when I get some time.

Offline NikaZaslavsky

• Reputation Power: 10
  • NikaZaslavsky is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.NikaZaslavsky is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • Beware The Rainbow Donut of Doom
Re: From Sketch to Slime: how I designed 'Sludge' https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=30514.msg387980#msg387980
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 03:19:26 am »
How could you say you're a terrible artist? The sludge is awesome! I'm going to try drawing a slime with photoshop now, I'm glad I have a tablet.
Creepers be creepin'
Builders be weepin'

Offline 0gr0

• Reputation Power: 4
  • 0gr0 is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Cereal Guy
Re: From Sketch to Slime: how I designed 'Sludge' https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=30514.msg388283#msg388283
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 11:09:14 pm »
wow, you are a very good drawer!!!
I speak Google Traductor!!

anything
blarg: