Guest Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by a guest. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - R401JL (20)

Pages: [1] 2
Other / Re: Pendulums
« on: August 13, 2010, 09:45:01 am »
...he was also looking for a better name than Pendulum I believe...
Oscillator?

Reciprocator (like reciprocal arms in steam engines etc)?

Prolly spelt all that wrong.

Or Bistable Multivibrator (doesn't exactly trip off the tongue, that one)

Multilingual / Re: Britain
« on: August 13, 2010, 09:37:41 am »
Gawd bless yoo Mairy Paupinz!

Thanks for the info tallguy2241, didn't know the game was still going strong and being expanded upon, I'll have to keep an eye out.  I found SL and PL in a clearance pile in a local game shop and didn't realise they had continued to be developed.

Elite and the (shoddy) sequels took many years of (off?) my life.  I love Civ and all the spin-offs (alpha centauri etc) those also had me glued to the keyboard.

Recently, Fallout 3 and Borderlands are the ones for me.  Both I played beginning to end pretty much non-stop about 2 and half times (once through, through again with different character build and then again with another build that I get bored with).

The all time hat's-off award goes to a D&D campaign I played in for YEARS.  All the original Gygax modules (tweaked for players who'd done them before), including 'The Temple of Elemental Evil', another game I've rinsed out totally, all the way from copper-hoarding lowbies to kicking Vecna's (and Iuz') ass.  As I said, years of hilarity, action, drama, tragedy and beers with yer mates, awesome.

I still am an active player of Advanced Squad Leader, a tactical WWII board game. A typical game can take 6-8 hours, or more.
Is that an Avalon Hill 'bookcase' game?  I have Panzer Leader and Squad Leader, just wondering if they're the same series.

[Edit]  Forgot Diablo ][  :-[  <facepalm>

Game Suggestions and Feedback / Re: Another slot proposal
« on: August 02, 2010, 09:19:52 am »
I'm with flOppy on this one, maybe not the extra slot, but at least some way in which the rate of income could be increased.

I mean what do I do?  Ditch my entire deck and start again with an FG farm build from the forums?  I could farm the FG's, save up and then buy the deck I wanted.

Sensible?  Yes (kind of).  Fun?  No.  I don't want to farm with someone else's deck.  I don't want to farm at all, in my opinion as soon as 'farming' is involved, you no longer play the game, the game plays you, you're just 'gestating' until you can play again.

I want the feeling of pride that comes with knowing that you yourself crafted that deck that just whupped that FG's ass.  I also want the fun of trying out new combinations or other "deck research" and the process by which you (as an elements player) and your deck evolve over time.  I mean I sold loads of nymphs and squids etc to fund my deck only to get ridiculed (quite savagely in some instances - thank you elements community  ;)) for using them for the electrum which I was finding so hard to come by.

And what if I wish to change my deck?  Ditch it all again?  Back to the FG farm deck again?

In the old days, you just opened the box, read the book and played the game.  You didn't have to spend hours on a forum first, finding out how someone else thinks you should (or indeed, should not) play the game, just to make sure you didn't make a costly mistake like I did.

Anyway, elements is still an awesome game, just a little slow at the start for the non-experts (like me)

« on: August 02, 2010, 08:33:00 am »
Plymouth eh? S'ok there.
That's probably the best you can possibly say about Plymouth, building cities near radioactive moorlands does have it's consequences :P and for a coastal city, the local beaches are appalling.

I've never been to the Aquarium but everone I know who's been there gave it ++good.

Taunton eh?  A great cider provider and no mistake.  (Sorry, don't know much about Taunton, except the Marine commando and the hydrographic office thingy, but I do know about cider)

Let's hear it for the Westcountry Massive! (oo-arrr etc)

Or maybe not.

Good to hear my mate and I are not the only elements players in the southwest, nice one.

Game Suggestions and Feedback / Re: Slot machine little upgrade
« on: July 30, 2010, 11:06:39 am »
It would be nice if a few things were tweaked a little.

To me, it doesn't make sense that you get +5 electrum only if the first two slots match, I feel you should get the bonus for ANY two slots showing matching cards.  Maybe a +5 reward for 3 creatures or 3 spells.

One thing which may make lvl5 farming a little more rewarding would be to recognise upgraded cards as unupgraded as well.  This way if you get, for example; two Nova's and a Supernova in the spinners you would be rewarded with a Nova.

Game Suggestions and Feedback / Re: Change password possibility
« on: July 30, 2010, 10:51:55 am »
Another Kong refugee here, would be good to reset password, but then I've memorized the mess that Kong gave me so it's not so important.

« on: July 30, 2010, 10:45:30 am »
Plymouth, UK here...'Home of the Pilgrim Fathers' (and Europe's deepest natural harbour)

Anyone wants to know anything about cream teas, I'm your man.

Forum Bugs, Suggestions and Feedback / Missing posts.
« on: July 07, 2010, 01:14:27 pm »
Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Do forum posts ever get deleted?  If so, are the authors ever afforded the courtesy of notfication?

I posted a question in the 'troubleshooting' section, came back and read a new reply which had been posted, came back again and there it was, gone.  Furthermore, I was subsequently unable to post in that topic (no it wasn't locked).

It was a ban question <reels back from keyboard, buffeted by the groans of thousands of elements players> so I understand if it was deleted as there's the gmail address that you're supposed to use (which I have now done).

I was hoping for feedback such as; "oh, your IP chakras are misaligned" or "your router's reset button must be pressed three times by the light of the new moon" or some other sharing of common experience which would enable me to do some troubleshooting.

I have recently taken a zero tolerance approach to cookies, only permitting those from certain websites.  Could this lead to banning and forum post removal?

Yours,

Bewildered of Plymouth.

Forum Archive / Re: RARE CARD FARMS - updated daily by the community!
« on: June 30, 2010, 02:47:20 pm »
This list is no way "updated daily by the community", I don't recommend following it unless you enjoy being frustrated repeatedly.

Humor / Re: YOU LAUGH...... YOU LOSE - Drunk Edition
« on: June 28, 2010, 07:26:09 am »
Score: 10

#6 nearly had me, sort of "crouching hippo, hidden whale"

Pages: [1] 2
blarg: