Guest Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by a guest. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - Bulldog241 (6)

Pages: [1]
Bulldof241, I did in fact read your post. My response, and a few others, are in line with how this feature of card games work.

The game designer (Zanz) can't tell how many matches you're about to win on the turn after drawing your last card. There is no way to predict that. But final draw auto-loss was created, tested and proven true that, without it, there too many possiblities exist for infinite games. If you find you are drawing yourself out too much then either adding cards to your deck or changing decks, if your deck doesn't function with more cards, is a possible answer.
Who said you needed to predict who would win? Let the game progess until someone actually wins. No predicting is needed.

And are you really telling me that with the sophisticated AI this game has, it's unable to determine that if a player is healing more dmg per turn then you are inflicting, the game can't be won? Once all the cards are played, that's the only factor left. For those situations, have the AI accept a draw if it's offered.

If your strategy is long and your deck is short then, my friend, your deck lacks common sense. Make a bigger deck, or include a mechanism not to deck out (eternity+a cheap creature)

ninja'd
As the game stands now, I entirely agree with you. The game comes to an abrupt end once my deck runs out. I suppose what is getting me so frustrated is that it's not "game over" because I died. I honestly really think the game should go until either someone dies, or a draw is agreed upon. Perhaps that's a flaw in my own thinking (I'm not biased from previous card games, as this is the first one I've played), but there it is.

But you are correct, Asymmetry. In a game that is purposely short term, having a long term strategy is not a good idea. Which is sort of why I was asking for the game to be changed to allow long term strategies to be played even if the deck is short.

Short answer- the reason for the auto-lose when no cards are left is to avoid infinite games.

If both players have no cards left to draw and both players can not damage enough to kill the other player, then it would be a matter of seeing which one logs off first. That situation should never come up if at all possible in this game as it stands.
Please read my previous posts.

I'm hooked on this game, but this one "feature"
Wait, feature? All major CCG have that rule.
Nothing new to add to what everyone said.
So is your answer really "because everyone else is doing it, we should do it too"? Lame.

Eva, allow me to share with you my strategy. I use life creatures, and I have 6 forest spirits in my deck. They start off very, very weak (1/1) but can be increased in strength without limit at +2/2 per turn. Thus, at the start of a game my hand is very weak, but by the end is incredibly powerful doing 50, 60 or more dmg per turn. With all 6 in play thats +12/12 dmg every turn. I also use a thorns sheild to kill opponenets creatures, however this is also a long term strategy as it takes several rounds to bring down a creature, but eventually always will.

There are a few weakness that can be exploited. A fire sheild for instance is instance death to any new spirits I play. Likewise a weight sheild will stop all dmg from me at the end of the game. Theres a few other cards as well that can seriously hinder my strategy, and for these I keep a few "defragmentation" (I think thats the name) cards in my deck as well. However, if I get a bad shuffle it's possible that I'm unable to play most of my hand until near the end of the deck. For instance, I'll need to wait for  a fire pendulum card to appear before I'm able to destroy the opponents fire shield. And if they are all at the end of my deck, I'm sol.

Thus, there are times where I'm forced to wait before I begin increasing my power. In these instances it's entirely possible that I run out of time before I can kill my opponent, even though I'm in no immediate danger of dieing. (6 heal cards + a thorn shield and a druid staff will keep you alive for a suprisingly long, long time).

I suppose the problem is that my strategy is a long term one, and this game doesn't lend itself well to long term strategies. Once the deck is out, the game is over, therefore no strategies allowed that go for longer then your deck.

I'm able to win about 75% of the lvl 5 matches I play using this strategy with nearly 0 upgraded cards (i havent' been playing that long). It's just frustrating when I've survived the worst the AI can throw at me, am finally able to start rocking and rolling and BAM the game is over even though my creatures would easily win.

If I get all my creatures killed, then obviously I'm going to loose. I'm not talking about that.

Consider that I have 5 creatures up, doing a total of 50 ish dmg per turn, and he has 70 hp left on the last turn. That's a game I should win, and easily would win, except that I ran out of cards. So even though I had the game won, victory is stolen from me just because I can't draw anymore cards. How dumb is that? Just let the game play out. My opponent can keep drawing cards, playing cards, trying to damage me, ect. All while I'm forced to sit on my hands and watch, helpless. Heck, maybe he can still pull out a victory.

But we'll NEVER KNOW, because the game ended. This has nothing to do with the damage potential of my deck, and I never said that my opponent killed all of my creatures. Almost every "forced loss" has had my board full of creatures and doing enough damage to kill him in 2 or 3 turns, yet the game ended anyway.

It just seems like a really, really dumb rule to have. I'll say it again, why would it be such a bad thing to just let the game play itself out?

So the only reason for this is to avoid a draw? That seems like a poor excuse for tossing in a game changing feature like this. It should be a simple matter to have a "draw" button on the screen. You press it, and a pop up asks your opponent "would you like to end the game in a draw?". If you both press it, there is no winner and everyone gets back their points and coins. It should be obvious if a game will never end.

And I will say that those draw scenarios you thought up are really quite rare and unique. While yes they can happen, they're not going to happen all the time.

Rather what DOES happen all the time is it's painfully obvious who exactly is going to win when the last card is drawn, yet this does not matter. The game is not allowed to play out, the person simply looses.

I'm hooked on this game, but this one "feature" is so, so, so, SOOOOO incredibly annoying. It's when, if you run out of cards to draw, the game automatically ends and you loose. REGARDLESS OF HOW WELL YOUR DOING!!

It seems to happen to me a lot, and it makes no sense. Why not just have the game continue to play out until someone dies? I can't tell you how many games I've been winning, only to run out of cards and the game is over. Even though I would obviously have won the game if it just played itself out.

If you run out of cards your obviously at a disadvantage anyway. There's pretty much nothing you can do but sit and watch and hope what you've played is enough to carry the day. If it's not, then your out of luck. That seems to be a bad enough punishment for running out of cards early, but a flat out "game over"?

Why?

Pages: [1]
blarg: