*Author

Offline penuserTopic starter

• Reputation Power: 1
  • penuser is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • New to Elements
Upgrades https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=53660.msg1124699#msg1124699
« on: February 04, 2014, 01:16:06 pm »
I suddenly bump up this idea.

Even if you are an experienced player, it takes really long time for you to get the first ~6000 coins, minimum requirements for a false god deck. Most new players are suffering from grinding Lv3 and being grinded by Bronze.

Since this is a really hard time to cope with, what if we offer a free upgrade on the very 1st card (can be a quest), and (if possible?) a 500 for the 2nd and 1000 for the 3rd?

In this way, new players can get 3 upped card for just 1500 electrums. Which can be a great help for their career.

Offline Keolino

• Reputation Power: 6
  • Keolino is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • +/Gl!it)c?h%§"#
Re: A discount on upgrading first few cards? https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=53660.msg1124704#msg1124704
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 02:52:37 pm »
With the upcomming elements 1.4, many things will be different anyway, it will be easier to advance from the mid-level (now level 3) by playing against specific opponents, and opponents between the power of current AI3 and AI4. The rewards for opponents will appearently be raised as well.

Further, more quests will be implemented as well. But, letting the creator aside, nobody knows jet how many quests there will be or what the rewards for those quests are.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 02:54:28 pm by Keolino »
What's the speed of dark?

Offline Higurashi

• Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 103
  • Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Æther in Æternum enim Æquilibrio
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 14th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 13th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 12th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeWinner of Team PvP #6Slice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerFalse Gods Competition: Reloaded - WinnerSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake4th Trials - Master of Aether3rd Trials - Master of AetherWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: A discount on upgrading first few cards? https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=53660.msg1124705#msg1124705
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 03:04:48 pm »
No, it doesn't take a really long time. Doesn't even take a long time. See here for several people who have taken part in the NBC and have up to 9 upped cards already: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/general-discussion/%28nearly%29-no-bazaar-challenge/

That's without using the Bazaar to buy cards at all AND playing casually every day. I'm only at 444 wins on my aetherfish account and I have NINE upgrades. I started the challenge hoping it would be challenging, but not even without the Bazaar is it hard or takes a long time. This is mainly because of the extreme generosity:challenge ratio of AI4 and the daily predicted FG. Most FG's are easy to counter if you know they're coming, and with a ~47% droprate, they're extremely profitable even for a -complete- newbie.

Currently, come 1.4, you'll be able to get your first upped card in less than 20 minutes. I know because I've tried out all Elements in the beta version in Trainer, and I accomplished that feat with Life. -Hopefully- the AI that give you one spin at upped cards that early are either removed, their reward is changed, or they become MUCH harder. Elements is already easy, no need to make it pathetic.

I don't think most new players are struggling with Bronze at all. I see most of them making half-finished versions of some of the best unupped Bronze grinders in the game (such as Monodark) and kicking Bronze ass. Yes, they have a hard time getting special spins consistently, but what else would tell them they need to improve their deck? Silver is where I see people struggle, as well they should. Only the best unupped decks can compete there.
:aether  http://elementscommunity.org/forum/guilds/991-thunderbolts-ho!-991/ :aether
Aether is the prime Element present in all things, providing space, connection and balance for all Elements to exist.
Aether represents the sense of joy and union, and the ultimate potential of all things.

Offline andretimpa

• Master of Gravity
  • Reputation Power: 58
  • andretimpa is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.andretimpa is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.andretimpa is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.andretimpa is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.andretimpa is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.andretimpa is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.andretimpa is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.andretimpa is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.andretimpa is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.andretimpa is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.andretimpa is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.
  • OMG how did I get here I'm not good with computers
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 12th Birthday Cake14th Trials - Master of GravitySong of the Day Tourney Most Creative DeckSlice of Elements 11th Birthday Cake13th Trials - Master of GravitySlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeArt Competition - RedecoratingSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeArt Competition: MS Paint #9 WinnerArt Competition: League of the Battle Champion WinnerArt Competition: Foil ArtWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeArt Competition: Paint With Elements - The Elemental AvatarsSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeCompetition - A Challenge of Challenges1st Place WC Winner: October 20151st Place Weekly Challenge Winner: September 2015Weekly Design August 2015 - GoldWeekly Design July 2015 - SilverSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeForum Brawl #4 WinnerPaint with Elements Competition WinnerSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 4th Birthday Cake
Re: A discount on upgrading first few cards? https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=53660.msg1124706#msg1124706
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 03:37:46 pm »
On 1.4 I decided to play for one hour and see how far I'd go. I managed 10 upped cards with a deck entirely modded from my starting deck. There are some really easy AIs that drop 1 or 2 upped spins currently (don't know if they'll be tweaked before the release). AI4 can be a bit frustrating with the spins mixing upped and unupped cards, but they are profitable and you'll get to 6000 in 1 to 3 days tops.
Every time a graboid evolves, an elemental gets his wings.
:gravity Guild (old), War 9 & 13 (gen) / :time Brawl 2 & 3, War 7 & 14 / :death War 8 & 12 / :fire Brawl 4 / :entropy Brawl 5 / :darkness War 10

Offline dragtom

• Reputation Power: 16
  • dragtom is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.dragtom is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.dragtom is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • Champion of the Silences Torn.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 14th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 13th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 12th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeCard Design Competition - Divine ArtificeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeMS Paint Card Art #8 WinnerSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday Cake
Re: A discount on upgrading first few cards? https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=53660.msg1124708#msg1124708
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 03:50:01 pm »
I think the 1.4 currently in trainer is bad and should be changed a lot before being implemented;
not only can you choose your opponent (infinite oracle predictions, yay!), but also, as has been said, the rewards are too high.

As for the current version, I actually agree with having a discount/free 1 upgrade.
Not to make the game easier,
but to give a motivation to new players who are not very good at deckbuilding yet,
and haven't heard about the oracle's prediction counters.

If you were to win from ai3 every 2 minutes, and make 50 profit from that (with losses included),
it takes 100 minutes to get a single upgrade.
sure, it is a very rough guess,
but the point is that it is quite some time;
and more importantly it will feel like the player isn't able to progress untill then,
and after that only a little.

then again, this might motivate newer players even more to reset their account because they 'didn't upgrade the good card'.
be quick- time is quanta.

Offline Chapuz

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 72
  • Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.
  • The weird Voodoo guy
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeDeckbuilding Competition - Tower Defense WinnerSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeBrawl #1 Winner - Team Nyan Sharks
Re: A discount on upgrading first few cards? https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=53660.msg1124714#msg1124714
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 05:14:05 pm »
There are ways to win money pretty fast starting killing FGs with unupgraded decks. See the tutorials section or the community recommended decks for reference.
My Decks, Tutorial and Guides <~~~~~ Click Here ! ! !

Offline Aves

• Competition Organizer
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • Aves soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Aves soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Aves soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Aves soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Aves soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Aves soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Aves soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Aves soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.
  • ~Lorem Ipsum Dolor Sit Amet~
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 14th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeBest Looking Forum Profile Slice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeForum Brawl #6 Winner - The Tentacle's GripSilver DonorBattle League 2/2016 2nd PlaceWinner of Card Design War #3Slice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeBattle League 1/2016 1st PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWar #9 Winner - Team DarknessWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: A discount on upgrading first few cards? https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=53660.msg1124721#msg1124721
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 07:05:45 pm »
While I might not agree with the exact details of OP's suggestion, I recall that the issue of "newb friendliness" and "grinding overload" is hardly new, nor has it really been solved. Arena did go a long way in helping, and 1.4 is obviously a major change, but I think this community still has a distinct bias against anything outside of the norms established here. Granted, what we have here is great and efficient, but all I see here is a bunch of veterans saying "oh, this isn't hard at all," "I've gotten x upgrades already with only y wins!" and the like.

There is a difference between forum participants/veterans who have a solid or even intimate understanding of the entire game and newbs who have just discovered it.  You can't compare playing with (perhaps less than) the resources of a newb to having the knowledge and experience base of one. As prolific and loud and exciting as this forum is, a majority of EtG players have likely never registered, or even lurked, on this platform to see all of the flashy deck ideas or cool tutorials. I think an extended or expanded format to introduce the game to newbies, in addition to all of the stuff we have here, inside the actual game window would be useful, and a feature similar to this would not be out of place. There is a reason why suggestions like this keep popping up.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 07:07:25 pm by Aves »
:darkness War # 4, 9, 10
:darkness League of Shadows :darkness Brawl # 5

The Tentacle's Grip Brawl # 6

Offline Higurashi

• Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 103
  • Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Æther in Æternum enim Æquilibrio
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 14th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 13th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 12th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeWinner of Team PvP #6Slice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerFalse Gods Competition: Reloaded - WinnerSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake4th Trials - Master of Aether3rd Trials - Master of AetherWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: A discount on upgrading first few cards? https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=53660.msg1124726#msg1124726
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 07:39:09 pm »
Not really. OP specifically stated it takes a really long time even for an experienced player.

Adding to that, all you need to do, as a newbie, is research -one- single effective deck for AI4 or Bronze/Silver and you're just as set as a vet would be if they started over. I'm not advocating copypasting decks, and I didn't when I started out. I did, however, read the forum and Kong to get a better general idea of the card pool. From there I found the efficient cards for myself, mainly ones with good attack:cost ratio. So, I propose that it has nothing to do with the game being grindy by nature, which it is. That's not going to change, since it's a CCG. And when it comes to CCG's, EtG doesn't start any slower than other ones.

What we're getting are more quests to help out people who are starting out, and that's the perfect solution. Why? Because if you don't like the grindy nature of the game, you're not going to play it much either way, early boosts or not. We have vets in the community who are like that, and they do stay mainly for the community and secondarily for the game, and that's fine.

Plus, quests add more content for all members, not just newbies. However, I have to reiterate that getting upgrades too easily as we can right now in Beta, the game will change completely. Newbies will be able to catch up to people who have been playing for 3 years and haven't gotten all cards yet. This is more of a problem because of the design shift than the injustice itself (I couldn't care less about that); I would probably stop playing besides the daily FG if there's no challenge anymore.
:aether  http://elementscommunity.org/forum/guilds/991-thunderbolts-ho!-991/ :aether
Aether is the prime Element present in all things, providing space, connection and balance for all Elements to exist.
Aether represents the sense of joy and union, and the ultimate potential of all things.

Offline Aves

• Competition Organizer
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • Aves soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Aves soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Aves soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Aves soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Aves soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Aves soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Aves soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Aves soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.
  • ~Lorem Ipsum Dolor Sit Amet~
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 14th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeBest Looking Forum Profile Slice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeForum Brawl #6 Winner - The Tentacle's GripSilver DonorBattle League 2/2016 2nd PlaceWinner of Card Design War #3Slice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeBattle League 1/2016 1st PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWar #9 Winner - Team DarknessWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: A discount on upgrading first few cards? https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=53660.msg1124740#msg1124740
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 08:42:25 pm »
I don't agree with every detail in OP, but I do agree with the general sentiment. That being said:

Higurashi: yellow
Aves: normal

Adding to that, all you need to do, as a newbie, is research -one- single effective deck for AI4 or Bronze/Silver and you're just as set as a vet would be if they started over. I'm not advocating copypasting decks, and I didn't when I started out. I did, however, read the forum and Kong to get a better general idea of the card pool. From there I found the efficient cards for myself, mainly ones with good attack:cost ratio. So, I propose that it has nothing to do with the game being grindy by nature, which it is. That's not going to change, since it's a CCG. And when it comes to CCG's, EtG doesn't start any slower than other ones.

I doubt that researching one effective deck would make you as effective as the average vet starting over. The vet has already gone through the game. The vet already knows about all of the mechanics, the metagame, and which steps to take to get back to upgrading cards. Resource-wise, yes, the vet will do similarly to a newb who does his or her research, but the experience of knowing exactly what to do can't be replicated. Not to say that tutorials or deck threads aren't helpful or can't provide a major helping hand, I am just saying that they simply can't substitute for the pure experience gained by playing the game.
My main issue is not that the game is grindy-- it's that the game is grindy and many people leave solely for that reason. For every newb who was like you, some other acclaimed community member, or even me, I'd wager that there's several people who've found or been introduced to the game, achieved the 500 score quest, and went  :o at what came next.

What we're getting are more quests to help out people who are starting out, and that's the perfect solution. Why? Because if you don't like the grindy nature of the game, you're not going to play it much either way, early boosts or not. We have vets in the community who are like that, and they do stay mainly for the community and secondarily for the game, and that's fine.

I do agree that 1.4 is a major step in the right direction. I do agree that more quests is good, or even great. I believe I say that more support for newbies in the game would be great, and the things you mention here are definitely a part of that. I do agree that you don't have to grind all day to gain enjoyment form the game. As a person who's generally doesn't seriously grind, I agree with all of your statements here. What I do not agree with is the notion that the above and a mechanic similar to OP's suggestion must be mutually exclusive, or that OP's idea has absolutely no merit.

Plus, quests add more content for all members, not just newbies. However, I have to reiterate that getting upgrades too easily as we can right now in Beta, the game will change completely. Newbies will be able to catch up to people who have been playing for 3 years and haven't gotten all cards yet. This is more of a problem because of the design shift than the injustice itself (I couldn't care less about that); I would probably stop playing besides the daily FG if there's no challenge anymore.

I'm not quite sure where newbies getting their first few upgrades more easily translates into veterans not having any more challenges. Our pvp events will still be here, studies will still be conducted, arguments will be given, etc. Exactly what design shift are you taking issue with? An extended tutorial or introductory period doesn't seem like a major problem to me. I do suppose that if you find yourself creating new accounts and playing through them, it would be a hassle, but surely it would be a simple proposition to add a feature "turn off quests" or something of that mold, or even manually to avoid quests, just as people are voluntarily avoiding the bazaar in the NBC?
:darkness War # 4, 9, 10
:darkness League of Shadows :darkness Brawl # 5

The Tentacle's Grip Brawl # 6

Offline Tantoney

• Reputation Power: 1
  • Tantoney is a Spark waiting for a buff.
Upgrades https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=53660.msg1160950#msg1160950
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 04:07:43 pm »