*Author

Offline Submachine

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 95
  • Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Who needs a Sub?
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.09.27.)Weekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Design July 2015 - GoldSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeBattle League 3/2013 3rd PlaceWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: openEtG https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=52763.msg1276876#msg1276876
« Reply #1212 on: May 18, 2018, 01:48:41 pm »
On the Kongregate version, the biggest problem right now is that card text goes out of bounds. I do not even know what some cards do (52 Pickup), because only the first few words are visible in each cardtext row (and only the top 2 rows).

The following card dimensions seem to be unequal across cards that have equal card height and card width: cardtext_field height, cardtext_field width, cardtext_row height, cardtext size, card_art height, and card_art width.

There is also the problem if you hover over a card during the game, it is not stopped by the game boundary and it can go off the far left or far right edges of the playing screen.

I also have a minor problem, that some cards have very dark card art, which I can not recognize because of the lack of distinction (and names don't help much either). I suggest making all card arts clearly different from each other, even when looking at them at a distance.

I also noticed that recently the Bazaar and few other buttons were removed from the Kongregate version. When doing such things, I would prefer seeing a Kongregate comment about the changes.
And we keep driving into the night
It's a late goodbye, such a late goodbye...

~ Platinum Quest ~

Offline Fippe94

• Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 40
  • Fippe94 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Fippe94 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Fippe94 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Fippe94 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Fippe94 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Fippe94 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Fippe94 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Fippe94 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeGold DonorSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeForum Brawl #5 Winner - Abyss BrawlersSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner8th Trials - Master of DeathBrawl #3 Winner - Divine LightSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday Cake
Re: openEtG https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=52763.msg1276877#msg1276877
« Reply #1213 on: May 18, 2018, 02:12:07 pm »
The card text issue is not a kong issue, but rather a browser issue I think. For me on Chrome the Kong version looks fine.
Try Fragments, my card game!

cvengrcnq qbg arg fynfu frperg cnffjbeq
KVVV > KYIVV

Offline ColorlessGreen

• Reputation Power: 14
  • ColorlessGreen is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.ColorlessGreen is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday Cake
Re: openEtG https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=52763.msg1276880#msg1276880
« Reply #1214 on: May 18, 2018, 03:05:38 pm »
To the best of my knowledge, the rendering problem is a problem only on chrome and not on firefox, and is affected by your zoom level a great deal. There are zoom levels on chrome where it doesn't appear, but it doesn't appear at any zoom level I've seen on firefox. It's a known bug.

The kong version is identical to the main version. Bazaar doesn't exist on either version. It will be replaced by asynchronous trading (basically player-to-player auction house) in the near future.

Offline Submachine

• Legendary Member
  • Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Who needs a Sub?
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.09.27.)Weekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Design July 2015 - GoldSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeBattle League 3/2013 3rd PlaceWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: openEtG https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=52763.msg1276881#msg1276881
« Reply #1215 on: May 18, 2018, 03:27:19 pm »
the rendering problem is a problem only on chrome and not on firefox, and is affected by your zoom level a great deal.
That is it. Resetting the zoom level fixed the issue. Though if it can be solved, it would be better if it worked with any zoom, because I regularly use Chrome zoomed out.

~ Platinum Quest ~

Offline ColorlessGreen

• Reputation Power: 14
  • ColorlessGreen is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.ColorlessGreen is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday Cake
Re: openEtG https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=52763.msg1276882#msg1276882
« Reply #1216 on: May 18, 2018, 03:34:10 pm »
I'm glad that solved it for you. And, yeah, this is in my opinion probably the single most critical bug that is currently unfixed. It's fortunately pretty easy to work around in the mean time. If just loading up firefox is an option, it works at all zoom levels on firefox. I realize that is a pretty poor solution, but it's available while the chrome issues are still around.

Offline Submachine

• Legendary Member
  • Who needs a Sub?
Re: openEtG https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=52763.msg1277025#msg1277025
« Reply #1217 on: May 28, 2018, 02:18:51 pm »
I have a suggestion about giving an explanatory text to the new Quest-page design. For example: "This is the Quest homepage. Here you can find main quests on the left side. Sidequests may branch off a main quest once it is selected." A similar explanatory text would be appreciated for the new Bazaar system.

Secondly, it would be visually more satisfying if the current Quest-page had a visible table with column titles (Main Quest, First Subquest), and maybe additional design (column separators could be pillars with vines).

Then I have the following image to show:
Spoiler for Hidden:
Both me and my opponent lost at the same time (PU+Ricochet on damaged Doll), which should technically not be possible. Elements has the advantage that during an AoE effect like Pandemonium, the player can see what effects happen in which order, and if one of those effects ends the game, the rest of the effects don't happen. Here I would have preferred seeing the order of Parallel Ricochets happening, because then we would have a definite winner. I have the same preference for Pandemonium.

Another suggestion that ties in with the previous one is to have an option (Toggle on/off) to make the AI play his cards slowly. This would allow better understanding of what the opponent did and in what order.

Weird behaviors:
  • Epoch can silence a player with Sanctuary.
  • If used by an AI, Psyche Metal can make an Otyugh devour itself.
  • Tesseract Space Whales are only frozen for 1 turn.
  • If a Whim uses its ability when there is only 1 :air left, nothing happens and the last quantum is consumed.

Minor suggestions:
  • Number of cards in deck made very visible when under 10 cards (or less if a slower pace becomes unlockable).
  • Player hitbox made bigger (for example, target of Black Hole). Maybe as big as half of the playing screen.
  • Summoning cost shown on card-name-sprites in Shop, Upgrade, and Bazaar.
  • Show expected damage on creatures with Gravity Pull+Poison.

More things might come later.

~ Platinum Quest ~

Offline Fippe94

• Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 40
  • Fippe94 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Fippe94 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Fippe94 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Fippe94 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Fippe94 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Fippe94 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Fippe94 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Fippe94 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeGold DonorSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeForum Brawl #5 Winner - Abyss BrawlersSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner8th Trials - Master of DeathBrawl #3 Winner - Divine LightSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday Cake
Re: openEtG https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=52763.msg1277026#msg1277026
« Reply #1218 on: May 28, 2018, 02:40:05 pm »
I suggest you make this post on the oetg forum (https://etg.dek.im/forum/), over there they are more likely to be seen by serp/cg/others.
Try Fragments, my card game!

cvengrcnq qbg arg fynfu frperg cnffjbeq
KVVV > KYIVV

Offline serprexTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • serprex hides under a Cloak.
  • Awards: War #12 Winner - Team Darkness
Re: openEtG https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=52763.msg1292730#msg1292730
« Reply #1219 on: July 07, 2019, 09:22:22 pm »
I have a suggestion about giving an explanatory text to the new Quest-page design. For example: "This is the Quest homepage. Here you can find main quests on the left side. Sidequests may branch off a main quest once it is selected." A similar explanatory text would be appreciated for the new Bazaar system.

Secondly, it would be visually more satisfying if the current Quest-page had a visible table with column titles (Main Quest, First Subquest), and maybe additional design (column separators could be pillars with vines).

Quest UI is not a high priority, but yes these things would be good. Explanatory text at least should be added, I should make a backlog that helps prioritize when I can allocate time. Would also serve to help others take on work

Then I have the following image to show:
--snip--
Both me and my opponent lost at the same time (PU+Ricochet on damaged Doll), which should technically not be possible. Elements has the advantage that during an AoE effect like Pandemonium, the player can see what effects happen in which order, and if one of those effects ends the game, the rest of the effects don't happen. Here I would have preferred seeing the order of Parallel Ricochets happening, because then we would have a definite winner. I have the same preference for Pandemonium.

Recent changes are moving towards making this possible. The effects system has been revamped, but I still need to implement more to show what it's enabled. Card movement at least has made some things more clear

Another suggestion that ties in with the previous one is to have an option (Toggle on/off) to make the AI play his cards slowly. This would allow better understanding of what the opponent did and in what order.

Besides when someone is first starting, this is usually a post-hoc desire. So I'd rather not clutter UI with anything less efficient than being able to review past events. I have added hovering on the foeplays bar at the top rendering a line from source to target. Still need the line to be an arrow etc, but it's there

Weird behaviors:
  • Epoch can silence a player with Sanctuary. Yes, because it's on their turn, so they aren't sanctified
  • If used by an AI, Psyche Metal can make an Otyugh devour itself. This is a bug, fixed
  • Tesseract Space Whales are only frozen for 1 turn. Freeze working as intended. Maybe Freeze should be max(old, new) rather than overwriting with new
  • If a Whim uses its ability when there is only 1 :air left, nothing happens and the last quantum is consumed. This doesn't sound right, so not sure what you were seeing here. Probably you had no pillars left in your deck

Minor suggestions:
  • Number of cards in deck made very visible when under 10 cards (or less if a slower pace becomes unlockable). Eventually I'd like to render a deck, if only to animate card draw better. Not sure what to do, maybe font color, it's even worse now since I believe the Last Card popup isn't working right after the recent effects revamp
  • Player hitbox made bigger (for example, target of Black Hole). Maybe as big as half of the playing screen. This wouldn't make sense for cards like Lightning. Don't see why clicking player should be any more difficult than clicking creatures. Player targeting even has W/S keyboard shortcuts
  • Summoning cost shown on card-name-sprites in Shop, Upgrade, and Bazaar. Cost is rendered
  • Show expected damage on creatures with Gravity Pull+Poison. Maybe on the hoverover. Would also want to predict stuff like damage from Fire Shield, acceleration, etc. This isn't too hard to do with recent change towards moving damage prediction state to view & giving instances ids. Will consider

More things might come later.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 09:24:19 pm by serprex »

Offline serprexTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • serprex hides under a Cloak.
  • Awards: War #12 Winner - Team Darkness
Re: openEtG https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=52763.msg1292985#msg1292985
« Reply #1220 on: July 20, 2019, 06:49:05 pm »
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 06:51:23 pm by serprex »

Offline Submachine

• Legendary Member
  • Who needs a Sub?
Re: openEtG https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=52763.msg1293790#msg1293790
« Reply #1221 on: September 21, 2019, 04:20:16 pm »
I'm noticing small things can be fixed. I will one by one list them as I find them.

First of all, Gravity Pull's art covers the health of creatures, which is especially annoying when casted on SoFo. Card stats should be written above the layer of Gravity Pull's art.

~ Platinum Quest ~

Offline Submachine

• Legendary Member
  • Who needs a Sub?
Re: openEtG https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=52763.msg1293791#msg1293791
« Reply #1222 on: September 21, 2019, 04:44:57 pm »
Second note: It is still a source of confusion that the players do not see things happen as in Elements. I'm just ending my turn, when suddenly a creature disappears and the turn ends. Then I'm theatrically asking whAAAaat haaAAppenneeeD? Sure, I check the history and I see that CC was used, but it is an annoyance that you cannot know without checking the history whether your creature was reversed or killed, or how it was killed. If multiple things happen during a turn, it's even worse.

In contrast, in Elements, every effect has an animation and a sound effect, and - probably the most important part - enough time for the player to process each individual effect. Compare that to a turn in oETG when a bunch of CC happens, not to mention all the other crazy stuff that can happen (Ricochet, Tornado, etc).

You can question why this is important. The answer is, new players get overwhelmed fairly easily. Even to me, there are a lot of unknown cards right now, so for anyone who will stumble upon oETG next year without ever playing Elements, I don't see them staying long.

~ Platinum Quest ~

Offline iancudorinmarian

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 67
  • iancudorinmarian walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.iancudorinmarian walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.iancudorinmarian walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.iancudorinmarian walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.iancudorinmarian walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.iancudorinmarian walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.iancudorinmarian walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.iancudorinmarian walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.iancudorinmarian walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.iancudorinmarian walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.iancudorinmarian walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.iancudorinmarian walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.iancudorinmarian walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.
  • Master of Ponies.Eternally salty about War#11 SEC.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWar #12 Winner - Team Darkness12th Trials - Master of EntropyWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner11th Trials - Master of EntropySlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeWinner of TrinityWinner of Team PvP #710th Trials - Master of EntropySlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner9th Trials - Master of EntropyWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 5th Birthday Cake
Re: openEtG https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=52763.msg1293797#msg1293797
« Reply #1223 on: September 21, 2019, 07:38:52 pm »
Second note: It is still a source of confusion that the players do not see things happen as in Elements. I'm just ending my turn, when suddenly a creature disappears and the turn ends. Then I'm theatrically asking whAAAaat haaAAppenneeeD? Sure, I check the history and I see that CC was used, but it is an annoyance that you cannot know without checking the history whether your creature was reversed or killed, or how it was killed. If multiple things happen during a turn, it's even worse.

In contrast, in Elements, every effect has an animation and a sound effect, and - probably the most important part - enough time for the player to process each individual effect. Compare that to a turn in oETG when a bunch of CC happens, not to mention all the other crazy stuff that can happen (Ricochet, Tornado, etc).

You can question why this is important. The answer is, new players get overwhelmed fairly easily. Even to me, there are a lot of unknown cards right now, so for anyone who will stumble upon oETG next year without ever playing Elements, I don't see them staying long.
This is currently being worked on.

blarg: