*Author

Offline Acsabi44Topic starter

• Reputation Power: 28
  • Acsabi44 is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Acsabi44 is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Acsabi44 is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Acsabi44 is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Acsabi44 is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.
  • Coming to get ya.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeBronze DonorWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner14 Club - Most Expensive players during War AuctionWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner
How to sell yourself in a War application 101 https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37883.msg475798#msg475798
« on: March 30, 2012, 02:30:53 pm »
It's that time of the year again :)
War applications are starting, and newer players are constantly evaluating themselves and others. (both in chat and on forums).
With reduced team sizes, it will be even harder to get into the team one wants.
In this topic, I wanna sketch up a few guidelines for newer palyers with no War-experience for selling themselves during the auction.
I don't wanna sound rude or mean, I wanna help fellow players out there. On the other hand, I will be brutally honest. Happy reading!

Okay let me start with the following: There are (5x12=)60 places open, right? Wrong.
You are not competing for the 60 places.

The first 40 or so places will be sold out for seasoned veterans with multiple previous War experience. They are the ones who know what's going on. The are the ones who will be expected to turn the cogs of War around. Every general will want to draft atleast 3-5 of them.

The next ~10 places are for the "seasonal estabilished" players. They are not necessarily around at all times, but during a War, they will stick around and apply. they maybe showed themselves in a previous war, or have a reputation as a PVPer. They are a pretty safe bet.

That leaves us with the remaining ~10 places. This is what newer guys compete for. Or, this is what you would've competed for until he previous war.

Enter support teams.

Support teams IMO one of the best things that has ever happened to War, next to UW. (I like that now there are more ppl involved, but I also liked the whole concept and  that you had to fight your way into UW) .
Support teams are a great way to involve almost everybody, to teach newer players about the mechanisms involved, but without the stress and tedious work of the main team. It also gives generals a little 'breathing room' when bidding for players.

Still, I think that everyone wants to be in the main team, right there, fighting it out for victory. so it is vital that one writes the most appealing application if possible. But what are the main points of an appealing application? That's what I'll go through in the next section.

1, Positioning yourself
There 3 kind of players who will get drafted into a team:
1, Best of the best. They are the ones who will be lieutenants, or who have been known to basically move the team forward. Previous war experience, multiple PVP event wins, posession of all relevant cards (upped and unupped). Former Generals. They are always around. Great organizing skills. Respected by both the community and Warmasters, so they can drive their points through if there is any compication during the event. Widely- known players.
This group will get the top bids. there will be serious "bidding-battles" for them. Every general wants to draft one.

2, Solid players. They will be the core of the team. They will be generally around, helping with decks, maintaining spreadsheets, checking on things etc. They are reliable for subbing. They know what is going on during War. They have War experience.
If a general can draft 2-3 of them besides a good lieutenant, that will ease his/her responsibilities and duties a great deal.
They will get a medium-sized bet.

3, New players.
This is you guys! You cannot advertise yourself with previous-war experience, neither await for a huge bid. Bididng huge is even more of a risk than in previous Wars, since the reduced cardpool, so generals will think twice about where to put their bids.

Thus, your appplication must shout "I am a bargain, you can get me for cheap yet I will perform just as good as a seasoned player!!"

IMO this consists of two sections:
1, Telling why you won't be a nusiance to the team
2, Telling why you will be a benefit to the team
(they may sound the same, but actually they are different things.)

1, Showing that you won't be a nusiance
Nothing is worse than drafting a palyer who has no use later on. If the player quits mid-event, loses interest, barely (if ever) contributes to the teamwork, fails to play his/her matches and hinders team deckbuilding by being unable to field decks, then s/he is considered a bad draft. Remember, generals don't know if you qualify as a good teammember, so you'll have to convice them that you won't do the things mentioned above.

It is hard to express that you will be reliable. Teamwork is one of the most important aspects in War. It is required to log in everyday and help build decks, test them, and brainstorm around. A commitment of several hours may be required each day. Generals don't know if you are up to it, and a simple "I will be around, promise" won't suffice.
What you can do is that you give reliable time zones when you can log in. Also, if you played in some long-term PVP event, state it! If you, for example cannot log in on Saturdays, state it. A "I'm always around" sounds more like an exagerration than a "I cannot play on friday and monday, but I'll be here on the other days" . Be honest.

Another thing that is considered is the cardbase of a player, especially the rares and upped cards. If you bump into teamchat 3hrs before the deadline and tell that you cannot field the Flying Farenheit deck that is assigned to you, cause you only have 1 Farenheit, well, that can crumble the whole team's strategy. Cards need to be reassigned, whole decks changed, etc. And especially in later rounds, as every card in the vault has its place.
Same is true about upped cards. Most times upping a card is only a bonus, but if you cannot run the allowed number of ups, then you will have a serious disadvantage compared to a well-equipped opponent. Some times however, whole decks depend on upped cards (Fratal MinorPhoenix).

If you have all the rares, a good amount of upped cards, a hefty sum of money, state it! If you don't have too much upped cards, but you have the ones you think are the most important (animate weapon, for example), state it!

Show a potential to gather money/rares fast! If you have a serious rare/moneyfarmer deck, state it in your application. That way, generals will know that even if you don't have 4 upped Rewinds, you will have them by the time you need to use them. Deckbuilding is usually a 2-4 days window; a whole lot of cards can be upped during that period.

Another thing is to have proper english. (I'm not talking about english literature- level; just be able to converse with your team without causing confusion. If you could read this long post, you're probably okay  :) ) Also, be mature.

And the most important thing: Don't lie in your app. Ever. You fill be found out.

2, Showing that you will be an important factor in the team
This is easier, basically emphasize every talent you have that you think will help. If you have experience with other TCGs, say so. If you can manage spreadsheets, know game theory, or have other talents, then tell the generals in your application!

I already told you that being around and contributing is one major part of the event. Even if you're not much of a deckbuilder, help the others with ideas, and be there to give your opinion. Even if you cannot build decks, you can help by playtesting. I've done loads of playtesting with my teammates in different warteams. This is the single best way to improve decks. You need no deckbuilding skills for playtesting, just load in the game and play the deck that is given to you.

Generally, be involved. This is the best advice I can give to you.

That's all that I can think off the top of my head; any criticism is welcome.
Good luck, and see ya in War :)

PS. don't bump your application. ever. Believe me, generals will read every app, regardless of its position, but bumping gives a negative impression about the player.
[17:04:00] Dragon6: ‹@Acsabi44› You are Rage Potion, Phase Dragon and Momentum all in one
Interested in game strategy,  theory and other kinds of advice? Clicky clicky!

Offline ralouf

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 35
  • ralouf is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.ralouf is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.ralouf is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.ralouf is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.ralouf is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.ralouf is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.ralouf is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.
  • Elements lover
  • Awards: War #5 - Sportsmanship AwardWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeChampionship League 1/2012 WinnerWar #4 Winner - Team DeathWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: How to sell yourself in a War application 101 https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37883.msg475799#msg475799
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 02:39:56 pm »
That's nice from you to have wrote this awesome wall text.

I wish that all news players that know how to read will read this.
TEAM
:deathbig
War Se7en

Offline TheonlyrealBeef

• Master of Darkness
  • Reputation Power: 61
  • TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!TheonlyrealBeef shines with the light of the Morning Glory!
  • Do not underestimate the power of the dark side!
  • Awards: War #14 Winner - Team Aether14th Trials - Master of Darkness2019 - PvP World ChampionSlice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeWar #13 Winner - Team Darkness13th Trials - Master of DarknessWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner4th Grandmaster Battle Winner - DarknessGold DonorSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWar #12 Winner - Team DarknessWeekly Tournament Winner12th Trials - Master of DarknessWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 9th Birthday Cake2017 - PvP World ChampionWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 3/2016 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeTeam PvP #4 Winner5th Trials - Master of Darkness4th Trials - Master of Darkness3rd Trials - Master of DarknessWeekly Tournament WinnerMS Paint Card Art #2 Winner
Re: How to sell yourself in a War application 101 https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37883.msg475802#msg475802
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 02:42:36 pm »
Only 5 players are bought by the general per team, general is number 6, so in your story that would leave... 0-3 places for newer guys o:

3, New players.
This is you guys! You cannot advertise yourself with previous-war experience, neither await for a huge bid. Bididng huge is even more of a risk than in previous Wars, since the reduced cardpool, so generals will think twice about where to put their bids.

Thus, your appplication must shout "I am a bargain, you can get me for cheap yet I will perform just as good as a seasoned player!!"
So don't ban any elements or you won't be a bargain at all.

PS. don't bump your application. ever. Believe me, generals will read every app, regardless of its position, but bumping gives a negative impression about the player.
Do eet! Makes it that much easier to not choose you

Offline Scaramanga

• Reputation Power: 6
  • Scaramanga is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Team Life
Re: How to sell yourself in a War application 101 https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37883.msg475804#msg475804
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 02:43:29 pm »
Thx!
Good job. Guess Ill have to write an app now :)
Treat everyone with dignity and respect but always have a plan to kill them
http://www.harsco.com/lib/swf/principles-video.swf

Offline kev

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 54
  • kev brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.kev brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.kev brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.kev brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.kev brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.kev brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.kev brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.kev brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.kev brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.kev brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.
  • Ungrounded
  • Awards: Winner of Team PvP #5Master of Multipliers - Scorgasm WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeChampionship League 1/2010 3rd PlaceWeekly Tournament Winner2nd Trials - Master of FireFavorite Staff Member of 2011Weekly Tournament WinnerMVP of Draft #2Make a Quiz winnerTeam PvP #3 WinnerSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeWeekly PvP Tournament WinnerWeekly PvP Tournament WinnerWar #1 Winner - Team Fire
Re: How to sell yourself in a War application 101 https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37883.msg475846#msg475846
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 03:55:34 pm »
Teams are 1+5, Acs.

Edit: Great thread.  +rep, Acs.

Offline Acsabi44Topic starter

• Reputation Power: 28
  • Acsabi44 is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Acsabi44 is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Acsabi44 is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Acsabi44 is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Acsabi44 is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.
  • Coming to get ya.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeBronze DonorWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner14 Club - Most Expensive players during War AuctionWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: How to sell yourself in a War application 101 https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37883.msg475848#msg475848
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 04:00:06 pm »
Thx!
Good job. Guess Ill have to write an app now :)
you don't have to do it right now; we will be given a template. Basically, a huge table to fill out.
Things like score, electrum, cards, upped cards will be there, you just have to write in the corresponding numbers.

What you can do now is to collect the points you want to state in your application (there will be a place where you can answer the question "why would I be a good teammember?") so you don't forget anything.

Teams are 1+5, Acs.
RLY? wow I thought 1+6. so that makes getting in the desired team even harder.
[17:04:00] Dragon6: ‹@Acsabi44› You are Rage Potion, Phase Dragon and Momentum all in one
Interested in game strategy,  theory and other kinds of advice? Clicky clicky!

Offline deuce22

• Master of Aether
  • Reputation Power: 44
  • deuce22 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.deuce22 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.deuce22 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.deuce22 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.deuce22 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.deuce22 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.deuce22 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.deuce22 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.
  • never trust a badger
  • Awards: War #14 Winner - Team Aether14th Trials - Master of AetherWeekly Tournament Winner11th Trials - Master of Aether10th Trials - Master of AetherWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner9th Trials - Master of Aether2014 - PvP World ChampionWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner8th Trials - Master of AetherWinner of Team PvP #6War #7 Winner - Team Aether7th Trials - Master of AetherWar #6 Winner - Team AetherWeekly Tournament Winner6th Trials - Master of AetherWeekly Tournament WinnerWar #5 Winner - Team AetherWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner5th Trials - Master of AetherWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: How to sell yourself in a War application 101 https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37883.msg476057#msg476057
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 12:08:48 am »
Another thing I would suggest is to contact the masters of the elements you would like to play for. Making yourself known can go a long way.

On a similar note, if a master of an element you dont care for contacts you, you should come across as being very interested in that element. First off, getting bid on gets you noticed. And second, getting war experience from any element helps a lot for future war apps.

aceben3

Re: How to sell yourself in a War application 101 https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37883.msg476218#msg476218
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 10:56:32 am »
Thanks for writing this!  Very helpful.

Offline 10 men

• Reputation Power: 0
  • 10 men hides under a Cloak.
  • Honesty is the privilege of the infallible
  • Awards: 6th Trials - Master of TimeWinner of Draft #3 - PvP EventWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner5th Trials - Master of Time4th Trials - Master of TimeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerShard Revolution WinnerSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeWar #2 Winner - Team Entropy
Re: How to sell yourself in a War application 101 https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37883.msg476275#msg476275
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 02:20:29 pm »
Hm my tips for getting into a war team
- don't try to act as if you're a good player, try to be a good player
- read my signature
"My big fear is that one day I may become so vain that I will quote myself in my own signature."  ---  10 men

blarg: