*Author

Offline InsignificantWeeabooTopic starter

• Newsletter Writer
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • InsignificantWeeaboo is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.InsignificantWeeaboo is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.InsignificantWeeaboo is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • Ah, I see you're a man of culture as well.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWriting Competition: Draw Seven WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerCard Design Competition - The Oracle's New Year's Party WinnerWriting Competition: Haphazard Heroics WinnerDeckbuilding Competition - The Mastery Gauntlet WinnerWriting Competition: H.E.A.T. WinnerSlice of Elements 9th Birthday Cake
Elements Community News Letter: April 2019 https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=67072.msg1287553#msg1287553
« on: April 01, 2019, 06:33:32 pm »
Spoiler for April NL 2019:
April 2019
5 teams left in War!
8 players compete for the title of World Champion!
Table Of Contents:
PvP Events                         Competitions
Weekly Tournaments           Leagues
Forum Games                     All Over the Place
Staff Changes                     New Members
Other Games                    Best Looking Forum Profile
                     FCM Interview

• Round 11 has started! In a surprising turn of events, Darkness ends up taking 1st place with 268 cards, leaving Time 44 cards behind them. Meanwhile, the bottom 3 teams; Light, Earth, and Aether are fighting to stay in the event, each team 1-2 losses close to losing! Will one of these three teams manage to climb back to the top, or will Darkness and Time duke it out for a reign over the forums? Stay tuned!

• A moment of silence for Team Entropy, the only team that has fallen this month. They consisted of Wyand, Blacksmith, and Aves.

• With each Group having finished their matches, the final 8 challengers arise from the ashes and prepare for the Knockout Stage of the World Championships. Meanwhile, spectators have started to bet on how the Top 8 will play out. Which person will take the title? Whose predictions will be the most accurate? Look forward to these answers!

• Have you ever had a great idea for a new PvP Event? Post your rule sets in the PvP Event Ideas section, and let the PvPEMs know about your great idea so they can provide feedback and potentially run it if possible.

• There is no such thing as too many towers in the Tower Defense competition. This competition had players attempting to defeat the roster of False Gods while using as many towers as possible. Congratulations to Chapuz on the win!

• It's time for a Status Update. Looks mean everything in this OEtG status makeover competition. Congratulations to Submachine on the humble victory.

• A competition for all the pranksters! The Fool has participants channeling their inner Loki to create a joke card for Elements. There is still time to get a submission in!

• Stay in touch with the competition section by signing up for the Competition Mailing List! It will guarantee you getting notified whenever there's a new competition going, so you can begin right away!

• A classic game of strategy came to Elements on March 3rd's unupgraded tournament. Elements the Chess 2, had players promoting their cards from pawn all the way to King. Congratulations to Mobian on his first tournament win!

• The deadly feast has returned on March 10th's Decaying Potluck 2 tournament. Players had to get creative with restrictive rules decided by the dice in this upgraded tournament. Congratz to Kalinuial on the win.

• ABC may not be as easy as 123 in March 24th's Alphabetisized 2 tournament. Players had to create their decks in alphabetical order. Congratulations to immortal feud on the undefeated win!

• March 31st's tournament is taking Elements back to the 4 basic elements. The Mud-Wind-Fire tournament has players using only 3 different elements to create their decks with limited copies. Congratz to moehrpi who took the gold medal.

• If you want to discuss anything exciting going on in leagues, or you want to post specific rules you want others to challenge you with go post some stuff in the General Discussion thread. Additionally don't forget about the weekly featured rules that bring new and exciting forced metas by the League Organizers.

• Nothing new just yet. Have you got any plans or ideas for an interesting forum game? Send them to Forum Game overseer, Linkcat, he will be delighted by whatever you have in mind!

All Over The Place!

• Submachine is hosting the 3rd Part of the Pokemon Showdown Tournaments. A bunch of new stuff is being tested, such as a Starter and Competitive Division. Signups have already ended. The Starter Division has already ended, with InsignificantWeeaboo as the winner, but the Competitive Division is currently underway. Feel free to follow the action here.

• On May 10th, we will be hosting our 1st annual Elements Reunion Day. That day, we aim to have active and non-active members join Chat to talk to each other for a 24 hour period. If you know anyone who is not currently active, please send them an invitation or reminder. Be sure to mark your calendars!

• Do you have any other idea for what can be featured in here? Feel free to PM us about what you think deserves a special spotlight in the community Newsletter!

OTHER GAMES

• One of the newest additions to the Newsletter, this section will consist of games for the community not directly related to Elements or the Forums.

Best Looking Forum Profile

• This section will feature a forum profile that the community has chosen to be the Best Looking Forum Profile that month. The process will be similar to the FCM Interviews: Members will send in a forum profile that they like, and later on the NLWs will make a poll for you to vote on which user's profile looks the best. The winner will receive an icon:

• The community welcomes two new admins. Congratulations to the new Community Admin mathman101 and the new Systems Admin Fippe94. We look forward to seeing what these new admins bring to the table.

• Spoiler for Interview with the new Admins:
    Key:
    mathman101
    Fippe94

1) Any upcoming plans/changes the public is allowed to hear about yet? (Anonymous)
    One major project is that we are still working towards changing the host of the forums. The intent behind this is to help reduce the costs needed to keep the forums up and running each day.
    As you might have heard, we are planning to change forum host to DigitalOcean which will be cheaper and hopefully easier to work with (Although I don't really know how well what we are using right now works). We are also planning to change forum software to the more modern NodeBB which also will be easier to work with, as well as changing the official chat to Discord instead of Blab. All of this are things that have been discussed for a long time, but now when we are more Admins to help out, this will finally get started on Soon™.

2) What is your short term goal for EtG now that you are admins? (MasterWalks)
    hmmm....good question, sorry I don't have an equally good answer off the top of my mind.
    Basically all my answer to question 1.

3) Are you nervous about your new position? (MasterWalks)
    Maybe a little nervous but also excited, and honored that I was given this opportunity. Back when I first joined in 2011 I never thought I would one day be an admin for this awesome community. But I am very thankful that I have been given this chance to continue to give back to this community.
    Nah, it'll be fine. It's not like I'm all alone as Admin so I don't really feel nervous, more hyped of what to come. Also I'm not the Community Admin so I'll just refer to Mathman whenever someone has a complaint :D *nervous laugh*

4) How do you plan on combating the dying player base? Do you wish to give it an easy peaceful death or do you plan on fighting for the Elements legacy and try building the player base? (Anonymous)
    Beer......lots and lots of Beer!  :P (oh wait, we can't give beer to kids, hmmm maybe root beer then.)
    Well Flash is dying. At the end of 2020 all major browsers will block Flash content completely, and the only way to keep playing Elements at that point will likely be to play on some special Flash-enabling browser which will probably exist. It will still be technically possible to play for the fanatics, but the harsh truth is that most likely there will be no new players at all (As if we have a lot of new users now...). However we do have OpenEtG, and its variation, which is as close to a non-Flash version of Elements as we will likely get. The main plan to retain and expand the Community at that point would be to expand to more games than just Elements (since it will become almost unplayable) such as OpenEtG, but also other games that are popular in the Community such as maybe Minecraft and Hearthstone (only examples, obviouly no full plan have been decided yet.)

5) Allegedly, the admins have zanz's email, have you sent him anything? (Anonymous)
    If this is true, I still haven't found out where it is hidden in our many secret sections. I haven't yet needed to email him, so I will hold off pestering the other admins for it until the time is needed.
    I have not, and I have not personally seen the email yet.

6) (For mathman) After War is over and you have free time again, what do you plan on doing with it? (MW)
    Maybe a minor rest break for a few days, but then back to helping out this community wherever I can. I always enjoy helping out so if there are any staff groups or positions that are lacking, I am always willing to lend a helping hand as best as I can.

7) (For mathman) Nova is the best HotS hero. prove me wrong. (shockcannon)
    I'm not sure how that relates to the new admin title, but cool. I personally think no hero in that game is the best and can beat every other hero. All heroes have can be countered by at least 1 other hero, and some can be countered by multiple. For my own personal preference I like playing as ranged assassins(Nazeebo, Zagara, Zuljin, Tychus).

8) (For Fippe) From a programming standpoint, if you were given developmental rights over EtG, what would your first "update" be? (MW)
    Well, on one hand we already have OpenEtG which I have done quite a lot of development on, so one answer to this question could be to simply replace Elements with OpenEtG, which will also solve the issue of the dying Flash.
    If i had to keep working on Elements existing codebase however, my first update would definitely be to not store passwords in plaintext! This is a horrible idea, and tbh I don't know what zanz was thinking with this decision.

9) Any last comments before we end the interview? (NLWs)
    Thank you current admins and the community for the opportunity to work as admin here, and I hope we have some great changes ahead of us!
    Don't forget to donate to help the forums and if you can't donate then help out in other small ways around the forum. Example; apply for staff positions, lend a hand to staffers who appear overly busy/overworked, contribute to the forums in a way more than just playing the game and posting small comments. Remember this community is completely staffed by volunteers, thus if you enjoy coming here and participating in the many events, then please find some way to give back.

Thanks for the questions, and I hope everyone has an awesome Month!

• 17th Elements Council applications are now underway. If you feel you could bring some new ideas and projects tot he table, feel free to apply. Make sure you meet the requirements first and send an application in to mathman101.

Tea Time with Wyand

Below is a portion of the interview:

Q. What is the best medication to take when affected by Wyand-level RNG? -Shockcannon
A. Playing with you, that resets my luck to at least a normal level. :-)

Q. How did you find elements? -vagman13
A. The unexpected way. 2017, bored after Christmas. Google, "free fantasy card game". Rest is history. :-)
(Funny thing: I've never played MTG or such.)

Q. Do you believe in the 6th place curse of Team Entropy now? -iancudorinmarian
A. Numbers can be funny....

Find this answer and many more in Wyand's full interview

New Members
We had a total of 18 new members join the forums in the month of March:
Spoiler for Introduction posts:
Here are the members who posted in the Introduce Yourself board within the past month. Just click a certain name to be redirected to the corresponding introduction post. Don't be rude, say hello to newcomers! ;)

EMERGENCY!

The forum is in dire need of donations once again! We are currently in debt and owing money to the site keeping us running. Depending on how much you donate, there will be prizes that will be given out. This includes a shiny new icon, a mention in the next Newsletter, and even some Mark/Nymph codes. Click here to donate today.

Due to the success of the first comic that appeared last month, we will now make them a bimonthly thing in the Newsletter. In other words, the next issue of the comic will be released on May's Newsletter. Until then! - Insig/Weeby

Hover over cards for details, click for permalink
Deck import code : [Select]
58o 58o 58o 58o 58o 58o 58o 58v 58v 58v 5rq 5rq 5rq 5rq 5rq 5t2 5t2 5t2 5t2 5t2 5t2 5t2 77d 77d 77d 77d 77g 77g 77g 77g 8pl

Deck idea by shockcannon

Card by card:

Stone Pillars/Time Pendulums: Responsible for supplying enough quanta to play each card for their respective element. The Time Pendulums also supply Gravity quanta for the Scarabs and Pulverizer.

Scarabs: One of the big pieces of the deck. Their role in this deck is creature control, with their devour skill. A unique mechanic to them is the swarm mechanic, which increases their HP with every Scarab in play on the same side and allows them to eat more. 5 Scarabs is enough to eat most of the early threats, but struggles with defeating high HP creatures. To solve this, Scarabs will need another card:

Heavy Armor: A simple buff card that adds 6 HP to a creature, making them much more bulky. When put together with Scarabs, it turns them into a powerful eating machine capable of getting rid of multiple high HP creatures that may serve as a threat to the player.

Elite Graboids: Since 5 Scarabs aren't enough damage to kill the opponent quickly, Graboids serve as a cost effective and hard hitting solution to this problem. Their Evolve skill, which costs 1 :time, allows them to turn into a 10|4 Shrieker.

Pulverizer: A weapon that utilizes any spare Gravity quanta to destroy permanents that may serve as an obstacle to the player's success.

Strategy:
You'll want to cast Heavy Armor on Scarabs, so that they can devour creatures they wouldn't be able to otherwise. Make sure to do this on the same turn, so that the Scarabs don't die too quickly; without Heavy Armor or other Scarabs they're one of the weakest creatures in the game. You can choose to either pile all of your Heavy Armors on one Scarab or cast 1 on 4 of the 5 scarabs for better coverage of bulky creatures. Use your Pulverizer to get rid of shields or any other permanents that will get in the way. It's not recommended to place Heavy Armor on Shriekers, since they don't exactly need it.

Strengths:
While not exactly the fastest, this deck is capable of getting rid of many threats to the player using it including creatures and permanents. Scarabs are also fairly resistant to CC once a Heavy Armor is placed on them, though CC does hurt the Scarab's ability to devour creatures. All of the cards are fairly cheap to play, meaning you won't need too much quanta to make the combo work.

Weaknesses:
Reverse Time counters this strategy hard, since it removes any Heavy Armors that was placed on the Scarabs and Shriekers are expensive to play. Permanent control on the opponent's side can get rid of your Pulvy, which makes you much more vulnerable to shields and the like. Since both Earth and Time quanta sources are separate, you need to have both in your opening hand in order for the deck to work properly. Other weaknesses include denial, faster decks and bad draws in general.

Alternative deck choices:
Trials Versions:
http://elementscommunity.org/forum/trial-battle-results/(trials-12-phase-2)(time)-kaempfer13-3-2-shockcannon-(time)/msg1277985/#msg1277985 (1st Deck)
http://elementscommunity.org/forum/trial-final-battle-results/(12th-trial-of-time)-kaempfer13-5-1-shockcannon/msg1279462/#msg1279462 (4th Deck)
TPvP Version:
http://elementscommunity.org/forum/three-man-team-pvp/three-man-team-pvp-8-round-2/msg1279544/#msg1279544 (3rd Deck, Wrong Mark)
Blessed Scarabs:
http://elementscommunity.org/forum/duo-decks/eternal-blessings-of-miraculous-scarabs/msg60261/#msg60261

Spoiler for Photocredit:

Many thanks to all readers for reading ;)

« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 11:08:44 pm by InsignificantWeeaboo »
O-oooooooooo AAAAE-A-A-I-A-U-JO-oooooooooooo AAE-O-A-A-U-U-A-E-eee-ee-eee AAAAE-A-E-I-E-A-JO-ooo-oo-oo-oo EEEEO-A-AAA-AAAA
Team :gravity Gen. (War #12)
Team :gravity Soldier (War #13)
Team :light Soldier (War #14)

Offline Submachine

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 95
  • Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Submachine is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Who needs a Sub?
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.09.27.)Weekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Design July 2015 - GoldSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeBattle League 3/2013 3rd PlaceWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Elements Community News Letter: April 2019 https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=67072.msg1287564#msg1287564
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 09:43:34 pm »
Nice newsletter. I think this is the first time I read that the Elemental Reunion will happen, and is not just planned to happen. I'm curiously waiting for that too.
And we keep driving into the night
It's a late goodbye, such a late goodbye...

~ Platinum Quest ~

Offline shockcannon

• Master of Fire
  • shockcannon is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.shockcannon is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.shockcannon is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • Young Elemental
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 13th Birthday Cake14th Trials - Master of FireSlice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner13th Trials - Master of FireWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Elements Community News Letter: April 2019 https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=67072.msg1287571#msg1287571
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 04:31:53 am »
Nice featured deck.
You are what you eat from your head to your feet

Offline InsignificantWeeabooTopic starter

• Newsletter Writer
  • InsignificantWeeaboo is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.InsignificantWeeaboo is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.InsignificantWeeaboo is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • Ah, I see you're a man of culture as well.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWriting Competition: Draw Seven WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerCard Design Competition - The Oracle's New Year's Party WinnerWriting Competition: Haphazard Heroics WinnerDeckbuilding Competition - The Mastery Gauntlet WinnerWriting Competition: H.E.A.T. WinnerSlice of Elements 9th Birthday Cake
Re: Elements Community News Letter: April 2019 https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=67072.msg1287849#msg1287849
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 11:15:42 pm »
The icon for the person with the Best Looking Profile Pic has now been posted.
O-oooooooooo AAAAE-A-A-I-A-U-JO-oooooooooooo AAE-O-A-A-U-U-A-E-eee-ee-eee AAAAE-A-E-I-E-A-JO-ooo-oo-oo-oo EEEEO-A-AAA-AAAA
Team :gravity Gen. (War #12)
Team :gravity Soldier (War #13)
Team :light Soldier (War #14)

blarg: Wyand,Blacksmith,Aves,Chapuz,Submachine,Mobian,Kalinuial,immortal feud,moehrpi,PlayerOA,Manuel,dawn to dusk,Shockcannon,Linkcat,InsignificantWeeaboo,mathman101,Fippe94,BogiLora,asteroid,labinnac,KingOfItAll95,VleotBelve,fbdowncOccal,DoctorWho42,filmyzalukajdub,alqoGep,facebookkdig,facebookcib,iCeasar,androidappsWal,facebookdownloaderFoeli,Kindredonetrick,okapithagoras,flenueinquix,Astorricywory,shockcannon