*Author

Offline kaempfer13

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 44
  • kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.
  • Awards: There Can Only Be One - 2020 WinnerSlice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeOEtG Rags to Riches WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerElements League 3/2018 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerThere Can Be Only One - 2018 WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner12th Trials - Master of TimeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerElements League 2/2017 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWinner of Draft #4 - PvP EventSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerDeckbuilding Competition: It's Greek to MeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Elements Mafia 79 - by MasterWalks https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=68266.msg1307951#msg1307951
« Reply #420 on: April 26, 2022, 08:30:38 pm »
@Wyand, can you visit the wordwideweb3 and both start participating?
Actually, it may be a bit far, but if you can, consider getting the marsmoons on board as well.
Btw, I was hoping Wyand would pick up this crumb and when he wrote that post to w3 i thought he understood. Yet he still couldnt produce a single read all game.
:gravity War 10
:death and tied for master of STANDIN War 11
Master of :time War 12

Offline MasterWalks

• Reputation Power: 0
  • MasterWalks hides under a Cloak.
  • 12 year old mobile gamer
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 13th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 12th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner (2020.12.06.)Slice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeWar #13 Winner - Team DarknessSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWriting Competition: The Elemental Cookbook - A Compendium and Comprehensive Compilation of Culinary Creations WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBronze DonorTeam Deckbuilding/Writing Competition - A Matter of Logistics Winner
Re: Elements Mafia 79 - by MasterWalks https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=68266.msg1307952#msg1307952
« Reply #421 on: April 26, 2022, 08:42:12 pm »
who won? who was who?

Town won
RootRanger= Omegon
andretimpa= Sheed Ranko

serprex= Alpharius
Linkcat= Into Pech

Everyone else was town Legionarie
:gravity War 12
:darkness War 13
:fire War 14
Credit to Wyand for Profile Picture

Offline marsmoons

• Reputation Power: 1
  • marsmoons is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Young Elemental
Re: Elements Mafia 79 - by MasterWalks https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=68266.msg1307953#msg1307953
« Reply #422 on: April 26, 2022, 08:53:55 pm »
Good game! For me it was interesting to watch it play out while at the same time trying to figure things out for how to play.

Offline LinkcatTopic starter

• Master of Life
  • Reputation Power: 37
  • Linkcat is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Linkcat is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Linkcat is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Linkcat is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Linkcat is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Linkcat is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Linkcat is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.
  • Mafia? Mafia. :fire
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 12th Birthday CakeLast Tournament Winner14th Trials - Master of LifeMaster of GamesSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWinner of Sideboard #4 - PvP EventWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Elements Mafia 79 - by MasterWalks https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=68266.msg1307954#msg1307954
« Reply #423 on: April 26, 2022, 10:33:33 pm »
Kaempfer was right about me for the wrong reasons. Missing my N0 action and late claiming Alpharius result were both things I would have done as town.

Our win condition was lynching anyone else D2, then identifying Omegon for the N3 kill. This was totally doable had I actually had time to play, very sad but it is what it is.

Rerolling was correct. The setup was interesting, but very mechanical without a lot of room for reads. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's a change of pace like the last game was. Unfortunately I believe these last two games have shown that there are not enough people who are both willing to sign up and able to be active in order to run proper games. I cannot in good faith condone hosting another game after this one.
Interested in running a Forum Game? PM me or drop by the Transfer Thread and we'll see what we can do.

Offline MasterWalks

• Awards: Slice of Elements 13th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 12th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner (2020.12.06.)Slice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeWar #13 Winner - Team DarknessSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWriting Competition: The Elemental Cookbook - A Compendium and Comprehensive Compilation of Culinary Creations WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBronze DonorTeam Deckbuilding/Writing Competition - A Matter of Logistics Winner
Re: Elements Mafia 79 - by MasterWalks https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=68266.msg1307955#msg1307955
« Reply #424 on: April 26, 2022, 10:50:29 pm »
Unfortunately I believe these last two games have shown that there are not enough people who are both willing to sign up and able to be active in order to run proper games. I cannot in good faith condone hosting another game after this one.

This makes me sad. Mafia is what brings me back here. Even before flash death, Mafia was the reason I've stuck around.
I guess I'm being hopeful, but these last 2 games have shown us that creative minimafia is doable. My game could've started with 9 players, but still got 11. The Mafia wiki shows 4 player formats and everything above.
As far as general activity, the inactive players are the consistent ones. W3, shock, and whoever is a noob are always low posters. Not only that, my set up was inherently a low activity game. 4 power roles and 7 weak info roles will cause that. I created the rules with that in mind.

I hope Roots format idea will change your mind, but I get it if we end at 79. Maybe it'll encourage me to find another way to play.

Offline Wyand

• Tournament Organizer
  • Reputation Power: 36
  • Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Wyand is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.
  • Not So Young Elemental
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 14th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 13th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 12th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner (2020.12.27.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.11.15.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.10.11.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.10.04.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.09.14.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.09.05.)Slice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner 2020.1.1913th Trials - Master of EntropyWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerElements League 2/2019 3rd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerArt Competition - Winter Paint With Elements WinnerTeam Deckbuilding/Writing Competition - A Matter of Logistics WinnerArt Competition - Definitely A Card Design CompetitionSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Elements Mafia 79 - by MasterWalks https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=68266.msg1307956#msg1307956
« Reply #425 on: April 26, 2022, 11:38:18 pm »
@Wyand, can you visit the wordwideweb3 and both start participating?
Actually, it may be a bit far, but if you can, consider getting the marsmoons on board as well.
Btw, I was hoping Wyand would pick up this crumb and when he wrote that post to w3 i thought he understood. Yet he still couldnt produce a single read all game.

I haven't produced anything because I haven't played Mafia ever. Ever. I barely put my left toe in the water to check it.
Also life is quite busy nowadays. Really. Maybe next time. It is a learning process.
<---- A nice purple pie, shiny cups and a trio of cakes on a red platter, a box of candies and an ice cream cone on chocolate! :) Bon appétit!

"It's hard to detect good luck - it looks so much like something you've earned." - Frank A. Clark

Offline Mobian

• Reputation Power: 6
  • Mobian is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Young Elemental
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 13th Birthday CakeSilver DonorSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Elements Mafia 79 - by MasterWalks https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=68266.msg1307957#msg1307957
« Reply #426 on: April 26, 2022, 11:47:36 pm »
Soooo is mafia all of a sudden disallowed" Or is Linkcat just saying he won't be willing to run one himself due to current conditions?

Offline RootRanger

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 51
  • RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.
  • R A I N B R O S
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 13th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday Cake10th Trials - Master of FireElemental Conquest WinnerWriting Competition - Across(tic) the World of ElementsWeekly Tournament Winner1st Grandmaster Battle Winner - FireThere Can Be Only One - 2016 WinnerGold DonorChampionship League 2/2015 2nd Place9th Trials - Master of FireElements: A Game of Politics - WinnerEnder of War War #8 Winner - Team FireWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 1/2013 WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWar #4 Winner - Team DeathChampionship League 3/2011 3rd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBeginners League 2/2011 2nd PlaceWeekly PvP Tournament WinnerWeekly PvP Tournament WinnerBeginners League 1/2011 2nd PlaceWeekly PvP Tournament Winner
Re: Elements Mafia 79 - by MasterWalks https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=68266.msg1307958#msg1307958
« Reply #427 on: April 27, 2022, 04:41:35 am »
Heya so here's what I've got, if people are up for it (and I get the Linkcat seal of approval) we can roll out.

Spoiler for Hidden:
Players have a Role (Mafia, Animal Cop, or Veterinarian) and an Animal (Cat or Dog). Mafia comprise approximately 1/3 of the players, and there is 1 Veterinarian who is part of the Civilian team. The remaining players are Animal Cops, who comprise the rest of the Civilian team. Animals will be randomized at the start of the game. Mafia are informed of their Animal, but Civilians are not.

In addition to the Mafia's factional Night Kill, there are three actions in the game which may be used during the night phase (depending on your Role). Players may choose up to one action during the night. Inspect may only be chosen by Animal Cops. Protect may only be chosen by the Veterinarian. Transform may be chosen by any player, including the Mafia. Self-targeting is not allowed.
1. Inspect: target a player; learn what their Animal is
2. Protect: target a player; learn what their Animal is and prevent them from being Night Killed
3. Transform: swap your Animal (Cat becomes Dog; Dog becomes Cat)

Each day, the players may vote on a player to Lynch, which kills them. Players may also vote to No Lynch, in which case no player will die. A tied vote is treated as a No Lynch. Phases are each 48 hours. When a player dies (whether through Lynch or Night Kill), their Role is revealed but not their Animal. Also, at the start of each day, players are told how many Cats and Dogs exist.

Action Priority
1. Protect
2. Night Kill
3. Inspect
4. Transform

Essentially, the significance of the Animals is that Mafia do not have the power to check someone's Animal and thus will have to fake their claims. Yet, there's no direct role investigation, so Mafia have a lot of options. As for balancing, the numbers I have in mind are 2 Mafia for a 7-9 player game and 3 Mafia for a 10-12 player game. Additionally, for balance reasons, the first 1 or 2 Night Kills may be skipped depending on player count. For games with 8/11 players, the first 1 Night Kill is skipped. For games with 7/10 players, the first 2 Night Kills are skipped.
Somehow still around, somewhat

Offline kaempfer13

• Legendary Member
  • kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.
  • Awards: There Can Only Be One - 2020 WinnerSlice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeOEtG Rags to Riches WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerElements League 3/2018 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerThere Can Be Only One - 2018 WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner12th Trials - Master of TimeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerElements League 2/2017 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWinner of Draft #4 - PvP EventSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerDeckbuilding Competition: It's Greek to MeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Elements Mafia 79 - by MasterWalks https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=68266.msg1307959#msg1307959
« Reply #428 on: April 27, 2022, 08:56:06 am »
Does transform inverse the animal or transform into specified animal? Transform happening after inspection also complicates things a lot (but also simplifies them). I was thinking of a few ways to coordinate things, but its quite difficult (even in the latter case). In case of inversing we probably have to spend a night investigating the player below in signuplist and announce the result for people to know who they even are (Actually I rethought things and this is actually the correct approach even if you know what animal you turn into, as it allows for meaningfull results by night 2). next night is completely silent, unless someone chose to investigate a player that was stated to be a different player before (transform happens last and the night before everyone that investigated). Such a result would result in a 3 way thunderdome, involving 2 town and i dont see a way how subsequent nights could directly help resolve that (luck could have more players investigating the player of disputed species on night2).
Things get way complicated after that. Secrecy is required to not tell mafia everything they need to know, but a single player cant have enough information to know they found sth suspicious. Additionally even on dead players crosstreams give confidence that players have the same or different alignement, depending on whether their results agree.
All things considered, i think the sum of all animal cops amount to about half the value of a real cop, assuming all players are even involved enough to untangle things (value is a bit dependent on length of the game, where short games benefit less as there arejust not enough datapoints and an important witness is more likely to die before saying anything).
Also its way too complicated for half the players here.

Dont worry MW, it's not anime themed. It's furry themed.

Edit: with 50% chance of mafia just guessing right and more ways for mafia to evade suspicion, its actually more like a 1/4 th cop. Also agreeing claims are actually completely meaningless for the alignement of susbsequent claims. Either balance the game more towards mountaineous(5:1, no prs) or add/buff town prs. i didnt talk about the confirmed town doc as its a role we are already familiar with, but it is noteworthy ofc.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 09:26:30 am by kaempfer13 »

Offline MasterWalks

Re: Elements Mafia 79 - by MasterWalks https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=68266.msg1307960#msg1307960
« Reply #429 on: April 27, 2022, 03:58:42 pm »
Am I correct in understanding there's no difference between cats and dogs? Like no ability or priority change? So what's the point of transforming? And why would anyone use the dog check cat check as evidence when presenting a push? I get that it prevents fake claims, but the rest of the players will probably assume they transformed. Due to rule 3, its almost impossible to refute the transform option regardless of alignment.

Kae predicting the whole game made it sound a lot more complicated than the actual rules. My only gripe is the face value redundancy of dogs and cats. Might be missing something tho so I'll wait for a reply.

Dont worry MW, it's not anime themed, it's furry themed.

Mafia 80 by RootRanger- Zootopia

Offline kaempfer13

• Legendary Member
Re: Elements Mafia 79 - by MasterWalks https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=68266.msg1307961#msg1307961
« Reply #430 on: April 27, 2022, 04:23:30 pm »
I would suggest a relatively simple godfather setup with some modifiers and a carried nightkill:

Mafiateam: Godfather: The Godfather can order a goon to perform the nightkill, overruling their target in case of a dispute/no input. The Cop investigating the Godfather gets a town result, unless the Godfather chose to carry out the nightkill that night. The Godfather may have a powerrole as well.
Goons: Can carry the nightkill. If there are 10 players or more there will be 2 goons. Goons may have Power roles from the list below.

Roleblocker: Target a player. Prevent them from using their action(s), including the nightkill.
Tracker: Target a player. Can see who they targeted. In case that player performed the nightkill, only the nightkill will be tracked (but not directly specified as such).
Watcher: Target a player. Can see who else targeted target player, including through the nightkill.
Vanilla: No night action available.

Cop: There will always be exactly 1 Cop, guaranteed to be town. The cop can investigate target player each night. If they are a goon or (or and) performed the nightkill the result will be mafia, else town.

A roleblock will block any other ability, including the nightkill, otherwise priority shouldnt matter.
Only successfull ability uses can be tracked/watched.
Only Cop, watcher and tracker using their abilities will be informed if they have been blocked.

If a cop, watcher or tracker forgets to use their ability, their target will be randomized, unless they pm the host that they want to holster (marginally relevant in case of fearing a tracker I guess)

Here is what I consider balanced for respective player numbers: there is always a mafia godfather and a town cop. townprs can be counterweighed by mafia prs, so that  a mafia pr dead doesnt automatically mean that all remaining prs are town.
8:  1 goon, townprs-mafiaprs=2
9: 1 goon, townprs-mafiaprs=1
10: 2 goons, townprs-mafiaprs=3 (to account for claimpower vs size of playerbase i reduced the number after some thinking. also the mafia pseudo rolecops are basically useless with so many prs around, and it gets worse the more prs are in the game.)
11: 2 goons, townprs-mafiaprs=3
12: 2 goons, townprs-mafiaprs=2
13: 2 goons, townprs-mafiaprs=1

I'm actually a bit unsure about the balance of this setup, as I have no experience with the godfather role, but thought it would be a good way to limit the power of the cop and justify introducing an alternative way of finding mafia. It also has the advantage of being fairly straightforward in terms of what results of night actions mean (except for the cop ironically). All noncop roles are on about the same powerlvl as doc for town in this setup, except follow the cop is impossible unless only one mafiaplayer remains (and rb has some negative sideeffects). For mafia, both watcher and tracker are essentially rolecops, roleblock is a bit weaker, as you have to give justification for it and it doesnt affect townrb. I'm debating whether mafiarb should override townrb without informing townrb directly.

I also erred a bit towards townside, as inactives tend to mess with town more and are very common here (and also most popular setups i could compare to are daystart, favoring town in that regard).
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 05:22:58 pm by kaempfer13 »

Offline MasterWalks

Re: Elements Mafia 79 - by MasterWalks https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=68266.msg1307962#msg1307962
« Reply #431 on: April 27, 2022, 05:07:51 pm »
Vanilla role??  :-[

I like it tho. Seems simple enough, and finding a Mafia seems tough enough. Game win by parity or by godfather death?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 05:09:50 pm by MasterWalks »

blarg: