*Author

Offline ddevans96

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 113
  • ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • now palafrost
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSilver Donor9th Trials - Master of WaterSlice of Elements 6th Birthday Cake8th Trials - Master of WaterSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeWinner of the Harry Potter PvP House CupSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: Radio Development Discussion https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=50793.msg1093654#msg1093654
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2013, 02:05:11 am »
Anything ambient and ominous should go under darkness, imo. Traditional, contemporary, and electronic. Bagpipes aren't really that dark, though, so I'm not sure.

Music with really prominent, non-standard drums, say Native American, African, or Caribbean beats, fits well with life, but I don't know how well those would mix with reggae. Probably quite well, giving it's origins, so it's a possibility.

Yodeling...just put it in every half hour to keep people on their toes :P
discord / twitter: palafrost - 2x master of water - false god enthusiast
twitch: palafrost - speedrunner, ex-celeste, currently hades
avatar: makoto [persona 5] by asukabaka

Offline BeefSupreme

• Reputation Power: 16
  • BeefSupreme is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.BeefSupreme is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.BeefSupreme is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • just a lost soul swimming in a fishbowl
Re: Radio Development Discussion https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=50793.msg1093661#msg1093661
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2013, 02:20:28 am »
Yodeling...just put it in every half hour to keep people on their toes :P
It'll be the intro before I talk. Every time. Muahahah (kidding).

Anywho, yeah, you're right. "Foreign" to most people is different than "foreign" to you or me, because 'murica. Therefore, I'll just put the songs into their respective genres and add non-Englsh songs by request.

As for bagpipes, yodeling, etc. If there's a song that has those and doesn't sound awful, then I'll add it into its respective genre. Most likely Darkness, but it depends on how the instrument is used (like all instruments). A song that comes to mind is "Bagpipes from Baghdad" by Eminem. It's got bagpipes, but it's definitely hip-hop/rap.

Also, dd:
-snip-

Okay, I'm understanding what you're saying and I getcha. What do you suggest we change the three to? I'd say that :darkness should be the lowest volume of the three, with :water as the mid-ground and :entropy being the loudest of the three. How do you think we should rename those appropriately?
Team :air War 7
“Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody.” - Mark Twain

Offline ddevans96

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 113
  • ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • now palafrost
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSilver Donor9th Trials - Master of WaterSlice of Elements 6th Birthday Cake8th Trials - Master of WaterSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeWinner of the Harry Potter PvP House CupSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: Radio Development Discussion https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=50793.msg1093665#msg1093665
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2013, 02:48:25 am »
Oh right, that.

Entropy should generally be the loudest, agreed. But it should more importantly be the more varied sounds - twisted synths and basslines, for example. Skrillex is generally perfect for this, but there's others. My song C (Swagga? Or did I put Bounce? Too lazy to check - either way, Excision) is another song by fairly mainstream artists who generally do use these kind of progressively crazier sounds. It just so happens that most of these are high volume.

I should note a lot of these songs aren't just dubstep, but variants of it such as drumstep and glitch hop, as well as electro house, some drum and bass, and even some trap is a good candidate for Entropy.

Water is basically the polar opposite - highly structured, generally calm and flowing. A lot of dubstep that is softer and not loaded with crazy sounds should fit here - commonly this is known as chillstep. My song B is a good example of chill dubstep that fits in Water.

Most trance and house should indeed fall here, although there's heavy variants of both that would go better with Entropy. A fair amount of drum and bass and electro is light, and works best here as well.

Aether is kind of the wild card - it should essentially be a bridge between Entropy and Water, but there's not too much room. Psytrance is indeed good here, along with anything that sounds ethereal and otherworldly, without bordering on the heavy variation of Entropy. Intelligent dance, some electro, and maybe funkier variants of electronic should fit well here.

I'll add more examples in due course if you want them, I'm just kind of drained tonight and don't feel like looking up too much stuff. Sorry :/
discord / twitter: palafrost - 2x master of water - false god enthusiast
twitch: palafrost - speedrunner, ex-celeste, currently hades
avatar: makoto [persona 5] by asukabaka

Offline BeefSupreme

• BeefSupreme is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.BeefSupreme is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.BeefSupreme is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
Re: Radio Development Discussion https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=50793.msg1093682#msg1093682
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2013, 04:40:13 am »
Alright. That makes sense. What I'm more looking for is what you think we should rename those on this thread.
“Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody.” - Mark Twain

Offline Legit

• Reputation Power: 18
  • Legit is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Legit is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Legit is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • Laxydaxy drives a taxi
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament WinnerWar #3 Winner - Team FirePsuedo-Element Winner (Tech)
Re: Radio Development Discussion https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=50793.msg1093707#msg1093707
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2013, 08:57:37 am »
In my opinion, based on the current genres that I have knowledge of

:air should be alternative/indie/rock music popular in the 2000's to present. Ex. Foo Fighters, The White Stripes, Arcade Fire, Radiohead, Silversun Pickups, etc. Lots of choices to choose from here, this station should be no problem.

:death if this is the only metal station this would be super easy. Just put on whatever.

:earth classic rock all the way up to grunge. Ex. Led Zeppelin, Journey, Guns N Roses, Soundgarden, Nirvana

:gravity if punk is a single station you would have to play older punk and newer pop-punk together. Ex. The Clash, Bad Religion, Green Day, Blink-182

:time I assume you mean bands like the Beatles and Rolling Stones, throw in some Beach Boys and Monkees etc. Don't know much about artists of the 50's.

PLEASE critique my proposed setup, this is just my opinion and I would like this to actually go somewhere, so if we have multiple people agreeing or disagreeing on something we can establish what will work for the final product and what needs to be changed before launch.

EDIT: Alternatively, if you are considering making Darkness a separate metal station, you could separate the two metal stations something like this:

:darkness Progressive Metal, Power Metal, Post Metal, Symphonic Metal, Thrash Metal/NWOBHM

:death Death Metal, Black Metal, Metalcore, Nu-Metal, Modern Metal
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 09:03:53 am by Legit »

Offline BeefSupreme

Re: Radio Development Discussion https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=50793.msg1093803#msg1093803
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2013, 04:42:34 am »
I wish I knew enough about metal to separate them like that. Lots of these genres will be lots of research and (some) guesswork on my part. Personally, I think one metal station is enough, but if it gains tons of popularity while the Darkness timeslot gains little, we might look into the option of expanding.
As to your proposed genre band examples: that is pretty much exactly what I was thinking. Although I'm not sure why you put :gravity instead of :fire for Punk, but I think that was just a mistype.
Yep, so you've pretty much got it ^.^

We could REALLY use some help in the form of contributing playlists.
12 playlists a day (1 per genre) * 7 days a week = 84 playlists a week. That's a lot of work, so any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Not to mention, I only have a certain amount of music and I'll have to be a pirate for a lot of this, so I'm using up a good amount of computer space

blarg: