*Author

Offline Zyardran

• League Organizer
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • Zyardran soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Zyardran soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Zyardran soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Zyardran soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Zyardran soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Zyardran soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Zyardran soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Zyardran soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.
  • From the ashes, from the fire
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeChampionship League 3/2016 3rd PlaceSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeTeam Competition - The Spy Who EMed MeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday Cake
Re: Featured Community Member http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32039.msg1269154#msg1269154
« Reply #228 on: October 04, 2017, 02:52:04 AM »
kaempfer13

New TO
 :gravity enthusiast
Cool kid

How did you choose your username? (Anonymous)
This is my old username 12-yo me made up (Hey, at least I was thinking 1 year ahead  :) ). Kämpfer (in order to avoid issues with special characters i wrote it as kaempfer) means fighter in german and 13 is my favourite number. I like 13 because I kinda like mocking people who are afraid of it (it's more of a lucky number for me) and it's also my birthday (May the 13th to be exact). Soon this username will have a 10 year anniversary btw, though I don't quite remember on what day exactly I first entered it.

What do you do in your off-time when you are away from elements? (anonymous)
You mean real life? That's some scary stuff that I don't have.
Seriously, I kinda seem to prefer fantasy worlds, my hobbies are playing PC-games, reading and watching movies/anime/whatever.

You hear a knocking on the door. Who will it be? o.o (DoctorC)
THE GRRRIIM REAPER!

Any way how we can persuade you into :life? (Anonymous)
The element (the not-element)? My first usable bronze grinder was actually a mono- :life . I think that all elements (and also  :life) have their merits, the element I'm least compatible with is probably light (and it also happens to be one of the weakest elements in war), but I think with a proper team any element can win eventually, especially with market adjusting over time.

How fast can you fly to the moon? (DoctorC)
I don't happen to be aware of having superpowers that would allow me to do it without help.
Apparently, the fastest way to reach the moon without wasting tons of fuel with our technology is in 2.5 days (its less about the technology really, but you can't follow the optimal trajectory if you try to go faster than that). I am however unlikely to be chosen for a mission to the moon (given that I eventually decided against becoming an astronaut), so I'd first have to get the money to become a SpaceX tourist, which would amount to about 175 million $. In the job that I am aiming for I could get about 100k per year. Since I obviously live another 1750 years we should substract expenses and the actual time to organise and execute the travel there (not).
Fret not though, particles that my body used to be made of will eventually reach the moon. Statistically earth looses about 10^-14 % of its weight per day to atmospheric escape. About 0.001% of those particles actually reach the moon (eventually). This may seem like low odds, but since my body contains over 5*10^27 atoms (and I'm a lightweight), chances are that basically the moment I die a piece of me is on its way to the moon. Let's say that piece of me travels at an average speed of 1 km/s and goes to the moon on a not entirely direct path of 500000km length. In that case it would take about 80 years for me to die, an hard to estimate amount of time for that part of me to reach the exosphere (at which point we assume it escapes the earths gravitational influence for which it'll need a quite respectable speed of about 1 km/s out there) and actually reaches the moon in about 6 days from then on. At which point I realize that by the time I die a piece of shit of me is probably on the moon already. But at this point I have to calculate with far too many numbers that I dont even have remotely accurate estimates for, so I'll just say it'll take 20 years. Which means I'm already there! Yippee!
If that is not fast enough/feels like cheating for/to you (depending on which estimate you use) I reached it in about 5 minutes in a dream once. Which is considerably faster than Johnny Wyles did it!

If you had anything at all as a pet, what would it be? (Anonymous)
I used to have 2 rabbits, which I cared for together with my sister (though tbh each one of us favoured the one they chose originally, but we still cared about the other one as well). However that was a compromise with the cynical aspect to it that our pets should not enter the house and should be dead by the time we move out. At the moment I live alone in an apartment, where pets require special permission from the landlord and dont really have the time to properly care for one either. Generally speaking, I like pretty much all animals (with a few exceptions). I'm probably a bit more of a cat-person than a dog-person (I really like both) and don't really feel like being fancy, so a cat is fine too.

How does it feel to be going for such a high amount of points in the war auction? (anonymous)
I was hoping that I would still be somewhat considered a dark horse for not having that much war experience yet and not having played in a team with any of the current masters (other than w3 who I banned), going for not much more than phoenix who didnt have the chance to prove himself at all in war (but has shown PvP experience). Well, my price is actually comparable to phoenix, but it looks like repeated warexperience isn't valued as highly as I thought (and rather activity and recent PvPachievements count).
I worry about possibly ending up being the sole mastermind of our teams warplan, with noone else able to back me up or jump in if I cannot be sufficiently active during a week. Also its always easier to predict a single person than a whole team and last war I tended to focus on ~3 games per round and could count on my team blindly in the other 2 and that was a fair amount of work already. I sure hope that I'll get someone who goes for way too cheap (like I did myself last war) or at least just a good master on the team. Plus exchanging tactics is half the fun in war. I will certainly go for master in the future to prevent such situations in the future for myself.

You recently gained your first staff position as council (and shortly after TO), how does it feel being staff? Are you enjoying your new positions? (anonymous)
I was expecting more questions like these, given that I've been chosen for FCM just after getting those positions, but looks like this is the only staffrelated one.
It's always nice to add more bling to your name and seeing stuff most people can't see (though I got to enjoy that kind of thing in war and brawl already), but of course with mediocre power comes a decent amount of responsibility.
Things in council move a bit slower than I would like (heck even with my reduced activity the last two weeks I still have the most recent response on a third of our private topics), but we still got 3 projects through in one and a half months and got several more in progress.
As TO 2 of my ideas were realized (one of which could use work, but the other one was wellreceived) and I got to host 2 tournaments as well. It's nice to see that unfold from this perspective and I think I got a bit less competitive in tournaments (when it comes to my own attitude i mean, I still work on the balancing of course) and focus more on trying to help others have fun since I became TO.
Btw, by the time you read this I will probably return to my old activity and am always willing to work as mouthpiece for both council and TOs, so feel free to approach me any time about anything that could be improved.

Tell us an exciting fact about yourself that may not have yet been shared with the community? (mathman101)
Hm, I can't say my real life would be particularly exciting. Probably the most notable thing that comes to mind is getting my Abitur (in Germany this allows you to enter university) at age 17. No need to brag though, I made up for that by studying something that I wasnt good at (mechanical engineering) and am now at a normal age for my semester in my current field (statistics)
Grav. Sold. War #11
In fond memory of ZephyrPhantom

Offline Zyardran

• League Organizer
  • Zyardran soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Zyardran soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Zyardran soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Zyardran soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Zyardran soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Zyardran soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Zyardran soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Zyardran soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeChampionship League 3/2016 3rd PlaceSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeTeam Competition - The Spy Who EMed MeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday Cake
Re: November 2017 FCM Nominations http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32039.msg1269170#msg1269170
« Reply #229 on: October 04, 2017, 02:54:34 PM »
Greetings, readers (faithful/occasional/new/etc.) of the Featured Community Member thread!

For the month of September, the newsletter would like to announce that our interviewee will be decided ahead of time.

In the interests of getting the community more involved in featuring a community member, the newsletter is requesting nominations from the community!

Please feel free to PM NLW team with the name of one member who is at least a Jr. Member and has been registered at least one year, with the PM title "Nomination for Featured Community Member".

Additionally, anyone who was last interviewed more than two years ago (see the quote in this post) is eligible while those interviewed more recently are not.

We will be accepting nominations for a few days (you have been late to this post), then having open polls for a few more, intending to leave approximately a week or so for questions and a week for the interviewee to respond.

Don't delay, nominate today!
Grav. Sold. War #11

Offline Zyardran

• League Organizer
November 2017 FCM Voting http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32039.msg1269697#msg1269697
« Reply #230 on: October 15, 2017, 02:06:54 PM »
 Greetings, readers (faithful/occasional/new/etc.) of the Featured Community Member thread!

We have a poll for next month's Featured Community Member; voting commences at once, forthwith!

If your name is up there because you were nominated but you would rather decline to participate, please contact a Newsletter Writer and we will keep your name up for bragging rights statistical purposes only.

Grav. Sold. War #11

blarg: kaempfer13