*Author

Rainmaker

Re: Game Mechanics (i.e. The Expanded Rules) https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=11691.msg222327#msg222327
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2010, 09:20:08 pm »
A slight wording suggestion: abilities are actually called skills, and there are two types: active and passive. Right now weapons only have one type of skill, active, and creatures have up to one active and two passive skills. Active is always the text under the icon, while passive is obviously the text under "passive skill". If you make the wording consistent under the Creatures & Permanents section like this, new players will have a firmer grasp of creature and permanent mechanics.
Sorry I bring this from page 1, but i have a doubt: Inmaterial Morning Star and Momentum Titan aren't both passive skills? (i don't recall if momentum can be lobed)

smuglapse

Re: Game Mechanics (i.e. The Expanded Rules) https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=11691.msg222351#msg222351
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2010, 09:51:44 pm »
A slight wording suggestion: abilities are actually called skills, and there are two types: active and passive. Right now weapons only have one type of skill, active, and creatures have up to one active and two passive skills. Active is always the text under the icon, while passive is obviously the text under "passive skill". If you make the wording consistent under the Creatures & Permanents section like this, new players will have a firmer grasp of creature and permanent mechanics.
Sorry I bring this from page 1, but i have a doubt: Inmaterial Morning Star and Momentum Titan aren't both passive skills? (i don't recall if momentum can be lobed)
This is why I feel the wording is confusing.

Neither Immaterial or Momentum is listed under 'passive skills' in the info box.  So in that sense they are not passive.

Both Immaterial and Momentum are listed at the bottom of the Permanent image, or below the image when flown.  So they are the 'active', or primary ability of the card, even though you do not have to activate them.

The Immaterial skill applies the invulnerable status (the time symbol) when the creature is spawned.  The Momentum skill applies the momentum status (the M symbol) when the creature is spawned.

Lobo removes Momentum, both the wording below and the M symbol.

Offline jmizzle7

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 34
  • jmizzle7 is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.jmizzle7 is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.jmizzle7 is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.jmizzle7 is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.jmizzle7 is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.jmizzle7 is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.
  • I'm kind of a big deal. People know me.
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament WinnerSS Competition #1 1stCard Design Competition Winner
Re: Game Mechanics (i.e. The Expanded Rules) https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=11691.msg222680#msg222680
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2010, 05:41:43 am »
Immaterial and momentum are both statuses. The only reason they appear as text below a creature is for clarity's sake. Sure, it's a little confusing (because they aren't skills) but it would be more confusing to new players to see :time appear on a creature with no explanation as to what it means. The same is true for the momentum status symbol.

Kael Hate

Re: Game Mechanics (i.e. The Expanded Rules) https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=11691.msg222763#msg222763
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2010, 09:52:41 am »
Immaterial and momentum are both statuses. The only reason they appear as text below a creature is for clarity's sake. Sure, it's a little confusing (because they aren't skills) but it would be more confusing to new players to see :time appear on a creature with no explanation as to what it means. The same is true for the momentum status symbol.
I would like to clarify this slightly. The skills Momentum and Immaterial that appear on cards give that card the same status when it enters play. The skill only affects entering play and nothing else. If the creature enters play without the skill and later gains it, it will not gain the status, and it is possible to be grated the status without being iussued the skill. Note lobotomiser effects can erase the status momentum because it appears in the skill names list but effects that replace the skill like Liquid Shadows Vampire effect will not affect the status effect momentum.

Offline ddevans96

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 113
  • ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • now palafrost
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSilver Donor9th Trials - Master of WaterSlice of Elements 6th Birthday Cake8th Trials - Master of WaterSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeWinner of the Harry Potter PvP House CupSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: Game Mechanics (i.e. The Expanded Rules) https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=11691.msg226315#msg226315
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2010, 03:51:11 am »
I would update the first picture with a silence indicator when it gets in the real game.

Really like this guide though. I can never remember the mutation abilities off the top of my head :)
discord / twitter: palafrost - 2x master of water - false god enthusiast
twitch: palafrost - speedrunner, ex-celeste, currently hades
avatar: makoto [persona 5] by asukabaka

Re: Game Mechanics (i.e. The Expanded Rules) https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=11691.msg402047#msg402047
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2011, 08:33:16 am »
DelayedThe creature or weapon is unable to attack or use its activated or end-of-turn automatic skill.  Condition is removed during the attack phase after a specified number of attack attempts.

FrozenThe creature or weapon is unable to attack or use its activated or end-of-turn automatic skill.  Condition is removed during the attack phase after a specified number of attack attempts.  Quintessence or Immortality cast on the creature will also remove the frozen status.
Hello :)

I came here because i'm fighting Morte and he has a few rays of light out.  I"m trying to decide whether to freeze one of them in order to stop him from getting a light quantum.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that either freeze or delay prevents quanta generation, but the other does not.

Can anyone confirm whether freeze/delay affect end-of-turn automatic skills (or which end-of-turn automatic skills these statuses affect)?

Thanks in advance,
Chroma

P.S. This is a great resource and the information seems to be (at least mostly) still correct for the current version (1.28).

Offline willng3

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 77
  • willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Your tears are delicious
  • Awards: 10th Trials - Master of LifeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeWar Correspondent Competition - WinnnerWeekly Tournament Winner6th Trials - Master of LifeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake5th Trials - Master of Life4th Trials - Master of LifeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeShort Story: Rare Mythology Competition Winner
Re: Game Mechanics (i.e. The Expanded Rules) https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=11691.msg402167#msg402167
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2011, 04:00:43 pm »
Delay does not prevent Rays of Light and other quanta generating creatures from generating quanta.  Freeze does prevent them from generating quanta, however.

Devourers do not generate quanta while either delayed or frozen.

Druidic Staff is unaffected by either Freeze or Delay.

Delayed Malignant Cells still produce Cells, but Frozen ones do not.

Since Fahrenheit's damage is dependent on the weapon attacking, Freeze and Delay both stop any damage from taking place.

I might be forgetting something, but these are probably the most common examples.
"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals"

Forum reigned by my mixtape

Re: Game Mechanics (i.e. The Expanded Rules) https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=11691.msg402595#msg402595
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2011, 09:14:54 am »
Thank you very much wil.  =D
  Hope this wasn't too difficult to compile. 

At this point i'm just asking out of curiosity/love of the game more than anything but is that both permanent staff and flying staff?

Offline Pineapple

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Pineapple hides under a Cloak.
  • Master of Cake
  • Awards: Silver DonorSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: Game Mechanics (i.e. The Expanded Rules) https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=11691.msg402625#msg402625
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2011, 10:07:32 am »
At this point i'm just asking out of curiosity/love of the game more than anything but is that both permanent staff and flying staff?
Yeah.

Wyrsa

Re: Game Mechanics (i.e. The Expanded Rules) https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=11691.msg420493#msg420493
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2011, 06:30:00 pm »
Well, perhaps I am good at intuiting stuff but I never had problems understanding what a card did... it said on the card. And naturally during my first games I had to read every single card, later I found the wiki and simply read every single card. 

What interests me specifically is exact turn order, for example turn begins, you draw a card, then you have a main phase to play cards, then you attack, then your quanta is produced (pillars, pendulems, and towers first then your mark), then your weapons attack and other permanents heal you, during your opponents turn your purity/poison occurs during the attack phase.  (at least this is how I see it right now, I'd be delighted in a precise turn order)

Just my thoughts. As I have read the wiki and knew the skills and abilities already.

suxerz

Re: Game Mechanics (i.e. The Expanded Rules) https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=11691.msg420538#msg420538
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2011, 07:45:03 pm »
Well, perhaps I am good at intuiting stuff but I never had problems understanding what a card did... it said on the card. And naturally during my first games I had to read every single card, later I found the wiki and simply read every single card. 

What interests me specifically is exact turn order, for example turn begins, you draw a card, then you have a main phase to play cards, then you attack, then your quanta is produced (pillars, pendulems, and towers first then your mark), then your weapons attack and other permanents heal you, during your opponents turn your purity/poison occurs during the attack phase.  (at least this is how I see it right now, I'd be delighted in a precise turn order)

Just my thoughts. As I have read the wiki and knew the skills and abilities already.
Most of these orders are already described in the first post; specifically this part (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,11691.0.html#post_turns) of the post.
The draw and playing your card part are pretty straight forward, so I'll try to explain what will happen immediately after you end your turn:
  • Each of your creatures attack in a specific order. E.g. creature in slot 1 attack first, slot 2 attack second, an so on.
  • Each of your permanents (including pillar and pendulum stack) "activates" according to their placement in the permanent slot. Normal or upgraded form doesn't have any effect on this order.
    E.g. if you have an SoG in slot 1, pillars in slot 2, pendulums in slot 11 and a Dagger in your weapon slot;
    • You will gain life from the SoG first
    • You will gain the quanta from pillar stack
    • You will gain the quanta from your mark
    • The Dagger will do damage.
    • You will gain the quanta from the pendulum stack
On top of this order, creatures and weapons with ability will attack first and then "activates" their ability. E.g: A Vampire will do the damage first and then heal you afterwards have their own specific order. Some abilities may happen before and some may happen after attack. Though this doesn't matter most of the time.

In regards of the purify and poison counter, yes it will only heal or damage you at the end of your opponent's turn. Currently, only these two behave this way.

Offline preimage

• Reputation Power: 1
  • preimage is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • New to Elements
Re: Game Mechanics (i.e. The Expanded Rules) https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=11691.msg420606#msg420606
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2011, 10:14:00 pm »
On top of this order, creatures and weapons with ability will attack first and then "activates" their ability. E.g: A Vampire will do the damage first and then heal you afterwards. Though this doesn't matter most of the time.
Although that holds for the ability Vampire (and many of other abilities), I'm afraid that it is not the case in general. Actually, some of creatures' abilities, as well as all of their statuses, are applied before their attack. For example, the ability Acceleration/Overdrive is applied before a creature's attack so that it deals more damage. Also, the passive ability Swarm which Scarabs have is also applied before each Scarab's attack, so a newly played Scarab does not bypass Gravity Shield.
For creatures' statuses it is natural to think so; one notable thing is that poison counters are also applied before attack. Thus a creature with 6 HP and 2 poison counters on it will bypass Gravity Shield, since the poison counters reduce its HP to 4 (under threshold) before its attack.

anything
blarg: