*Author

Offline GlitchTopic starter

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 65
  • Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.
  • Awards: 1st Trials - Master of LifeElements Short Story Competition WinnerPoetry in the Spirit of Elements
The Scrapyard https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=24796.msg315875#msg315875
« on: April 20, 2011, 01:16:59 am »
Have a card idea that got shot down in the crucible?  Put it here to find out why, and get general feedback from the community, so you can melt it down and make a better card with it.  Or, alternatively, if your card idea got shot down and know why, but can't think of a good solution, put it here too.  Hopefully this will decrease necroposting.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 03:36:50 pm by Glitch »

Offline ZephyrPhantom

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 101
  • ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeFlavour Text Revival Competition - WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: The Scrapyard https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=24796.msg315882#msg315882
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 01:22:15 am »
Great Idea Gl1tch.

Max HP lowering has been done multiple times. I guess there were better ideas to vote for in both cases, because both cards seem pretty good to me. I'll put some of mine up as well when I find them.

http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,18347.0.html - A simple card that would've had very interesting sync with Adrenaline. Well liked, but never got past the Crucible.

Offline OldTrees

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 114
  • OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • I was available for questions.
  • Awards: Brawl #2 Winner - Team FireTeam Card Design Winner
Re: The Scrapyard https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=24796.msg315918#msg315918
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 02:20:48 am »
Good idea for a thread.

Perhaps some more organization to prepare for an overload of ideas to review?
Make a spoiler-ed list of the ideas for review in the OP. Have 1-3 ideas linked above each page (use a poll with no votes) to be discussed.
Have some means to identify when a card is done with the reviewing.

It was/is a good example of two half effects in one card. (Horned Frog + Heal -> Forest Dryad)

The upgraded's Deja Vu ability probably distracted from the core idea of the card.

Also balance was an issue because they were both UP by 1|1.5 IMO.
3 Horned Frogs + 1 Heal = 8 :life +4 cards +20 healing +12 attack >> 4 Forest Dryads = 12 :life +4 cards +20 healing +8 attack
[net difference 1 :life + 1 attack per card which is too high by 1 IMO]
1 Giant Frog + 1 Improved Heal = 4 :life +2 cards +20 healing +5 attack >> 2 Forest Dryads = 8 :life +2 cards +20 healing +4 attack
[net difference 2 :life + .5 attack per card which is too high a difference.]

Also 5 healing is not that valuable compared to 20 healing. I think 10 healing per Dryad would have been a better start point.

I would probably design the next version on the principle that 1 Horned Frog|Giant Frog + 1 Heal > 2 Forest Dryads.

However you were right that it would fit best on a cheap creature around the same cost as Heal.
Cost: 3 :life|3 :life
Attack: 2|4
Effect: You Heal 10hp when it comes into play.
HP: 2|3
Net difference (from the new card's point of view): +.5 :life cost +.5 attack | +2 :life cost +1.5 attack
"It is common sense to listen to the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their readiness to listen to the wisdom of the fool."
"Nothing exists that cannot be countered." -OldTrees on indirect counters
Ask the Idea Guru: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32272.0.htm

Offline GlitchTopic starter

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 65
  • Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.
  • Awards: 1st Trials - Master of LifeElements Short Story Competition WinnerPoetry in the Spirit of Elements
Re: The Scrapyard https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=24796.msg316133#msg316133
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 12:12:29 pm »
Good idea for a thread.

Make a spoiler-ed list of the ideas for review in the OP. Have 1-3 ideas linked above each page (use a poll with no votes) to be discussed.
Euch.  Organization?  Do not want.

I'll work on it.  I was hoping to run it like the "beat my false god" FG.  Come here and rate whatever cards you want, and come back to check on your own ratings.  I'll work on formalizing it more.

It was/is a good example of two half effects in one card. (Horned Frog + Heal -> Forest Dryad)

The upgraded's Deja Vu ability probably distracted from the core idea of the card.

Also balance was an issue because they were both UP by 1|1.5 IMO.
3 Horned Frogs + 1 Heal = 8 :life +4 cards +20 healing +12 attack >> 4 Forest Dryads = 12 :life +4 cards +20 healing +8 attack
[net difference 1 :life + 1 attack per card which is too high by 1 IMO]
1 Giant Frog + 1 Improved Heal = 4 :life +2 cards +20 healing +5 attack >> 2 Forest Dryads = 8 :life +2 cards +20 healing +4 attack
[net difference 2 :life + .5 attack per card which is too high a difference.]

Also 5 healing is not that valuable compared to 20 healing. I think 10 healing per Dryad would have been a better start point.

I would probably design the next version on the principle that 1 Horned Frog|Giant Frog + 1 Heal > 2 Forest Dryads.

However you were right that it would fit best on a cheap creature around the same cost as Heal.
Cost: 3 :life|3 :life
Attack: 2|4
Effect: You Heal 10hp when it comes into play.
HP: 2|3
Net difference (from the new card's point of view): +.5 :life cost +.5 attack | +2 :life cost +1.5 attack
Interesting remake.  The original was designed for a potential dejavu+adrenaline duo, but your card balances better, /and/ synergizes well with mitosis.  Thanks for the input!

Offline TimerClock14

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • TimerClock14 is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.TimerClock14 is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.TimerClock14 is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.TimerClock14 is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.TimerClock14 is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.TimerClock14 is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.
  • hello pls
  • Awards: War III Promo Winner
Re: The Scrapyard https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=24796.msg316170#msg316170
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 01:35:27 pm »
Wonderful thread, Gl1tch.

I'm going to gather some of my old shot-down ideas and stick them in here later.
I have music, you have ears. Let them get acquainted with each other: https://www.soundcloud.com/mastinmusic

Offline OldTrees

• Legendary Member
  • OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
Re: The Scrapyard https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=24796.msg316281#msg316281
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 04:10:38 pm »
Good idea for a thread.

Euch.  Organization?  Do not want.

I'll work on it.  I was hoping to run it like the "beat my false god" FG.  Come here and rate whatever cards you want, and come back to check on your own ratings.  I'll work on formalizing it more.
Thanks. I only suggest more organization because I expect it to get swamped with ideas so that each idea only gets 0-2 comments.

This suffered from the same symptom as many early ideas. People had little rigorous sense of balance and made mistakes when estimating power.

Fallacy: Not able to heal = OP.
Decks without healing cannot heal so normal creatures are cheaper. Hence: Healing<Wither<Normal<Healing.
Adrenaline + Wither Beast = 12 uncurable damage for 5 :darkness+4|3 :life vs Adrenaline + Horned Frog = 12 damage for 6|5 :life.

Also there were probably some other factors besides the repeated use of the word OP.
It had Art that was grayscale instead of colored. It had other popular competitors. People back then preferred old mechanics rehashed rather than new mechanics most of the time.

Also it had the problem that its ability was only useful when healing was involved which was a lot more situational then than now.

To make full use of its ability it has to be the sole damage source in the deck. This means it has to deal a good chunk of damage either with Swarming the Field, Being Buffed or starting powerful and expensive. I would suggest something that fits on the high end of fractal, useuable with Mitosis without SoR and buffable easily. Each of these synergies allows 1 Wither card in the card pool to be 12+ cards in a deck.

Conclusion (might seem familiar):
Cost 5 :death|5 :death (High end of Fractal, Useable Mitosis)
Ability: Wither beast deals damage by decreasing the target's maximum HP.
Attack: 4|4 (Bless +3, Adrenal +5, or Chaos Power +3)
HP: 5|5
"It is common sense to listen to the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their readiness to listen to the wisdom of the fool."
Ask the Idea Guru: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32272.0.htm

Offline TuckingFypo

• Reputation Power: 0
  • TuckingFypo hides under a Cloak.
  • 'umop apisdn si agessaw siyt
Re: The Scrapyard https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=24796.msg342543#msg342543
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 06:22:09 am »
This thread is stickied...so I can post right? O.o
Tempest | Tempest (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,23686.0.html)  This was submitted about a month ago.  Idea that came to mind when I made this was mono-cc.

Offline OldTrees

• Legendary Member
Re: The Scrapyard https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=24796.msg342552#msg342552
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 06:58:18 am »
Tempest | Tempest (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,23686.0.html)  This was submitted about a month ago.  Idea that came to mind when I made this was mono-cc.
Long story short: It was too complicated and was 2 cards when the crucible only showed 1.
Other problems include: Bad name/picture for a weapon, Art, Immaterial for no reason (using immaterial to duck out of balancing a card in the face of adrenaline in not a reason), Water has mono CC.

My suggestion: Use Fractal Squid with Ice Shield.
My fix: Make it into a Shield with DR and an activated ability (really similar to Ice Shield so I would highly recommend against it.)

Offline Kuroaitou

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 82
  • Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeMaster of Mafia10th Trials - Master of TimeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSilver DonorSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: The Scrapyard https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=24796.msg342995#msg342995
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 02:55:02 am »
I personally think that the problem with Tempest is that there's -way- too much 'freezing' going on in the Water element already. As OldTrees said, Fractal Arctic Squids with an Ice Shield (or even Permafrost) would just be equally likely to freeze all of the creatures on the field compared to this card, and also has a simpler way of doing so (without the excess charges and whatnot). It's also important to note that weapons (regardless of how cool/original they are) have a VERY hard time making it to the higher levels, just because of the fact that if there's no series revolving around them, some newcomers might assume that if implemented, one element might have a choice of multiple weapons (versus shields or other permanents).

I say ditch it being a weapon/shield altogether, and try 2 different things:
  • Make it a regular permanent.
  • Do a COMPLETELY different form of CC in contrast to freezing.
Hopefully that helps Tucking. :)

Offline Bieber4Ever98

• Reputation Power: 5
  • Bieber4Ever98 is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • I'm interested in this game.
Re: The Scrapyard https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=24796.msg343305#msg343305
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 05:17:23 pm »
Shadow Cloak | Shadow Fall (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,19819.0.html)

I think this card was unfairly shot down. Add it to the scrap yard. I still think it's a good idea. Is there any way to reinvent this card ?
My real-life sucks. So i come online to compensate that.

Offline Rutarete

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 72
  • Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.
  • Creativity should be nurtured.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeRuby Shard of DeckbuildingSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: The Scrapyard https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=24796.msg343318#msg343318
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 05:39:55 pm »
I made a card called Recomposer | Recomposer. As soon as the search function works again, i'll put the link here; don't really have the time to look page by page through all the ideas.
It is the greatest mystery of all...
Rutarete: Roo tah reh teh
[22:50] <Jyi> meaning gets lost in translation... even in the same language.
My Decks

Offline ddevans96

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 113
  • ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • now palafrost
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSilver Donor9th Trials - Master of WaterSlice of Elements 6th Birthday Cake8th Trials - Master of WaterSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeWinner of the Harry Potter PvP House CupSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: The Scrapyard https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=24796.msg343340#msg343340
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 06:09:54 pm »
I made a card called Recomposer | Recomposer. As soon as the search function works again, i'll put the link here; don't really have the time to look page by page through all the ideas.
You mean this? http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,20922.msg284877#msg284877

discord / twitter: palafrost - 2x master of water - false god enthusiast
twitch: palafrost - speedrunner, ex-celeste, currently hades
avatar: makoto [persona 5] by asukabaka

anything
blarg: