*Author

Offline Drake_XIVTopic starter

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 91
  • Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Powerful Harmony
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSummer and Winter Competition WinnerSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Ask the New Idea Guru https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=44181.msg1009247#msg1009247
« on: October 19, 2012, 11:58:50 pm »
With the addition of a new Idea Guru, it seems as if there may be a need to start a new "Ask the Idea Guru" thread.  So here it is.

Much like my predecessor, I am available for questions.

Please keep the questions on topic. You are asking the Idea Guru not a scientist/philosopher/theologian/engineer/comedian ...

If a question would take too long to answer in this thread I might make another thread to address that question.

I welcome all on topic questions. However Suggestion Design questions are my specialization and are the most useful to card suggestion designers.

References:
Ask the Idea Guru [Original] - http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32272.0.html

For now, I assume both threads will be kept open and OT will still respond every now and then, but the older one may eventually be locked.  But it will be kept for reference.

Offline ZephyrPhantom

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 101
  • ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeFlavour Text Revival Competition - WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: Ask the New Idea Guru https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=44181.msg1009277#msg1009277
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 04:20:49 am »
1)
Is this based off BP's thread?

2) What are the top five nonshard cards you think should be buffed/reworked in this game, and how would you rework them?

3) Why do you feel the 1.31 Shards were so badly accepted by the ETG community?

Offline Rutarete

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 72
  • Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.
  • Creativity should be nurtured.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeRuby Shard of DeckbuildingSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: Ask the New Idea Guru https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=44181.msg1009281#msg1009281
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 04:36:11 am »
1)
Funny seeing that quote here.

How much do you think the three types of damage in elements should be balanced in amount compared to each other? Do you think we absolutely need more non-creature damage?
It is the greatest mystery of all...
Rutarete: Roo tah reh teh
[22:50] <Jyi> meaning gets lost in translation... even in the same language.
My Decks

• Legendary Member
  • Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Powerful Harmony
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSummer and Winter Competition WinnerSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: Ask the New Idea Guru https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=44181.msg1009541#msg1009541
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 07:37:18 am »
1)

2) What are the top five nonshard cards you think should be buffed/reworked in this game, and how would you rework them?

3) Why do you feel the 1.31 Shards were so badly accepted by the ETG community?

Heh, that question...  On a more serious note, this is more heavily focused on card design than general game mechanics.

The five cards that I would say are, and this is just considering the unupgraded formes and without seriously affecting their stats and costs...
  • Antlion - In light of Graboid, Antlion is definitely overshadowed.  It got some help from Shard of Patience, but that isn't exactly as effective or fast.  But rather than buffing Antlion itself, I'd like to see some modification to its Burrow ability.  Perhaps shield bypassing and the like would be appropriate.
  • Cockatrice - Compared to Frog and the combos that it can do, Cockatrice is underpowered despite having superior stats.  Looking at its buff thread, there are several suggestions for abilities I wouldn't mind seeing on Cockatrice without seriously affecting the stats and costs of the present card.
  • Flooding - This card has so much potential, especially in locking down the field.  And while this is possible, I find it isn't often successful.  I am at a loss as to how it should be redone, but feels as if it could be redone better.
  • Aflatoxin - Another card that I feel could do so much better but is overlooked due to its price and is otherwise used for fun decks.  This can be solved with simply dropping the costs, but I wonder how it would play out if it was changed to a mass poison effect, afflicting both sides with weaker Aflatoxin.
  • Deathstalker - Compared to Dune Scorp, I can't help but feel Deathstalker is underpowered.  Perhaps modifying the range of its poison, like inflicting 2 poison with every death effect or something similar.  Or, and this applies to all scorpions, poisoning creatures when they attack them [Gravity Pull].

To be honest, I don't feel too many issues with Non-Shards.  However underused most may be, they are balanced in their own respects.

For the Shards, I feel they were addressed the way they were because they felt... rushed.  This was exactly the same kind if feel when someone takes what had seemed like a great Series idea and just pumped out ideas just to complete.  I know, I've done it before.

Aside from that, there is the effects that it gave.  Shard of Bravery gave all elements access to quicker drawing, which I felt should have been left to :time.  And most infamous would be Shard of Focus, which allowed for relatively cheap, reusable PC to :rainbow decks, and still providing all other elements lacking in PC access to it.  And I shouldn't have to go into detail, we've seen the threads.

On the opposite of the spectrum, some Shards just didn't feel worth it.  Most notable, in my opinion, is Shard of Void.  With the current gameplay, there is no reason to use this outside of a couple of viable decks.  There is also

1)
Funny seeing that quote here.

How much do you think the three types of damage in elements should be balanced in amount compared to each other? Do you think we absolutely need more non-creature damage?

Three types?  I assume that's referring to Physical [Creature and Weapon], Spell [Spell and Aether], and Poison damages.

I'll refrain from discussing balance until I get a better definition of what you mean by balance.  Do you mean that they should maintain an equal ratio [Same amount of sources of Physical as Spell damage] or that they should hold true to a set ratio [For every 3 Physical sources, there should at least be 1 Spell].

As for non-creature damage, I don't think it will be so much an issue in adding more of it as long as counters are added sufficiently to the game.  So if we were to expand the range of Spell dealing cards or Poison, it should be accompanied by another reflective shield or poison removal card.

All in all, I don't think it's NEEDED when strictly considering the current balance.  But when looking for something new to add to the mix, it wouldn't hurt.

Offline Rutarete

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 72
  • Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.
  • Creativity should be nurtured.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeRuby Shard of DeckbuildingSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: Ask the New Idea Guru https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=44181.msg1009550#msg1009550
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 07:59:42 am »
The third type I was referring to is Permanent damage. Currently the only in-game example of this is Catapult. Another example of this type of damage is my Giant card. Also, Me and Zblader have made a series for this type on CIP, to be posted soon (hopefully). And I was thinking kind of of the latter ratio you mentioned.
It is the greatest mystery of all...
Rutarete: Roo tah reh teh
[22:50] <Jyi> meaning gets lost in translation... even in the same language.
My Decks

• Legendary Member
  • Powerful Harmony
Re: Ask the New Idea Guru https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=44181.msg1009553#msg1009553
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 08:09:38 am »
The third type I was referring to is Permanent damage. Currently the only in-game example of this is Catapult. Another example of this type of damage is my Giant card. Also, Zblader and I have made a series for this type on CIP, to be posted soon (hopefully). And I was thinking kind of of the latter ratio you mentioned.

Fixed some grammar things.

Well, considering Permanent damage, there is also Unstable Gas as well, but that is Spell damage.  Also, Shard of Void may fit into this section as well.  That being said, there isn't really much of a range as to classify this as its own.

Well, like I said before, I do not feel there should be a ratio set between the kinds of damage.  However, it should be maintained that Physical damage takes a majority of damage sources.  However the rest of this ratio ends up, I hold that it matters more to the amount of counters that resist said damage.

I shall expand on this more once I've had some rest.

Feel free to ask more questions.

Offline waterzx

• Reputation Power: 11
  • waterzx is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.waterzx is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • New to Elements
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: Ask the New Idea Guru https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=44181.msg1009579#msg1009579
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 11:46:49 am »
Do you think it is a good idea to have a card that have multiple effects, and when you play that card, your opponent can choose one of the effects to take place ?

This is one of the concept cards I have in mind, when you play that card, your opponent needs to choose either one : lose 10 HP or let you draw a card from opponent's deck.

Offline Arwulf

• Reputation Power: 2
  • Arwulf is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Play a card, any card!
Re: Ask the New Idea Guru https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=44181.msg1009583#msg1009583
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 12:34:50 pm »
To expand on that idea, how are the possibilities of implementing modal cards where you can choose out of two effects? I see how Waterzx's idea conflicts with current Elements interaction models (turn based), so letting an opponent making a choice upon resolution of your spells might be difficult; if YOU get to make decisions that should not apply though.

For instance: Card X says : Do 3 damage to a creature or 5 to a player.

Using such phrasing a player does not even have to choose before the spell resolves as the target receives damage according to what type it is (3 if a creature, 5 if a player).

But then again, I know nothing about coding and/or whether Zanz feels like altering what cards may or may not do.
Greatly improvides

• Legendary Member
  • Powerful Harmony
Re: Ask the New Idea Guru https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=44181.msg1009712#msg1009712
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 10:36:27 pm »
Do you think it is a good idea to have a card that have multiple effects, and when you play that card, your opponent can choose one of the effects to take place ?

This is one of the concept cards I have in mind, when you play that card, your opponent needs to choose either one : lose 10 HP or let you draw a card from opponent's deck.

To expand on that idea, how are the possibilities of implementing modal cards where you can choose out of two effects? I see how Waterzx's idea conflicts with current Elements interaction models (turn based), so letting an opponent making a choice upon resolution of your spells might be difficult; if YOU get to make decisions that should not apply though.

For instance: Card X says : Do 3 damage to a creature or 5 to a player.

Using such phrasing a player does not even have to choose before the spell resolves as the target receives damage according to what type it is (3 if a creature, 5 if a player).

But then again, I know nothing about coding and/or whether Zanz feels like altering what cards may or may not do.

The key issue with a concept like this is requiring opponent input during your turn, or vice versa. It may not prove to be an evident issue in PvE, but PvP will definitely make this incredibly troublesome, enough that it probably wouldn't be worth it.

Personally, I don't like the concept of having two ACTIVE abilities.  However, if it were made in the form of a choice, where the card will have an effect in hand but do something different when played [See: Ghost of the Past].

As for the effects that waterzx is suggesting, I don't really like the concept of drawing from your opponent's deck, unless it's like Mindgate, or I am simply reading it wrong, so I can't accurately judge if that would be an applicable ability for such a case.

In Arwulf's case, the way I see it [For instance: Card X says : Do 3 damage to a creature or 5 to a player.], you could target both a creature or a player, but it would simply have a different effect depending on the target [Akin to Shockwave on a non-frozen and on a Frozen, RT on non-Undead and on an Undead].  But, again, if the choice is given to the opponent, that will be a pain to implement, from what I understand of the coding and of the interactions of PvP, which are usually strained enough.

Offline artimies7

• Reputation Power: 24
  • artimies7 is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.artimies7 is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.artimies7 is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.artimies7 is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.
  • Effectively Super
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday Cake
Re: Ask the New Idea Guru https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=44181.msg1009717#msg1009717
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 11:03:09 pm »
In OT's thread, he said:

OldTrees, which element needs a new card more than the others?
None need a new card. All are functional.
All would benefit from a new card.
Most are incomplete.

Water is the element that would benefit the most after considering incompleteness and how long it has been.
2nd Life
3rd Earth

I've done a card for both Water and Life and neither were voted very far up in the Crucible chain.
Have you any particular observations for Earth on first thematics and then balance?

If you have time, reboot suggestions for the two previous cards would also be appreciated.
Donuts, Noodles, or Bacon?
Whitewalleries! | Noodles, to Victory!

Offline ZephyrPhantom

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 101
  • ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeFlavour Text Revival Competition - WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: Ask the New Idea Guru https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=44181.msg1009724#msg1009724
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 11:11:04 pm »
If a 13th element could be added to the game, what do you think would be impacted the most?

Offline OldTrees

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 114
  • OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • I was available for questions.
  • Awards: Brawl #2 Winner - Team FireTeam Card Design Winner
Re: Ask the New Idea Guru https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=44181.msg1009727#msg1009727
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 11:16:19 pm »
More details on PvP interaction:
Game information only flows 1 way in a PvP game. It flows from the active player to the inactive player. This allows you to take your turn without waiting for returning messages. The consequence is you can only make decisions on your turn.

Background detail on completeness:
The completeness of an element is the extent they are able to initiate a variety of threats, respond to a variety of threats and respond to a variety of responses using only their type of quanta. (Don't forget about SoR)
"It is common sense to listen to the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their readiness to listen to the wisdom of the fool."
"Nothing exists that cannot be countered." -OldTrees on indirect counters
Ask the Idea Guru: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32272.0.htm

blarg: