*Author

Offline Naii_the_BafTopic starter

• Reputation Power: 0
  • Naii_the_Baf hides under a Cloak.
  • Who reads these anyway?
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 13th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 12th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner (2020.06.21.)Slice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 7th Birthday Cake
Regularized Creature Costs https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=64794.msg1267387#msg1267387
« on: August 26, 2017, 08:45:55 pm »
So, I decided I had nothing to do, and looking at certain creatures, decided to do this.
There are some irregularities in creature's stats relating to their costs(in a spoiler):
Spoiler for Little pretty table:
CardCardIrregularity
Why is Damselfly free, whilst being a copy of a card in another element that has a cost of 1 :fire? Don't tell me it's because :fire Brimstone Eater has a period in it's description where as :air Damselfly's does not.
I believe that 3 stat points should cost 1 quanta at least. Why are these two cards the same cost, then?
I get :entropy Purple Nymph's ability is quite powerful, but it is also one of the most expensive and Aflatoxin can be just as powerful. The difference in stats is uncanny, and, to add insult to injury, the most powerful is also the cheapest.
This one speaks for itself. Look at the abilities if it doesn't for you. Although this one is quite minor, in reality.
Speaks for itself. You knew I was going to bring this pair up.
Don't tell me it's because :death Skeleton has mass is the reason it has the cost :light Photon does not. And its passive is quite useless, so...
... I get this one's a joke, but seriously?

I decided to work out a system for giving a regular value to each stat point, based off of vanilla creature's stats.

The following is the result:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19xlgM-AKTxGW5BIPkKOO3myX8tIFzah7vC6cQwac0ts/edit#gid=0

I put every single creature currently in-game inside of that spreadsheet, including unobtainable creatures such as :entropy Singularity or :chroma Malignant Cell, and even weapons(only taking in count their attack, marked in red). Of course, abilities haven't been taken on count.

It looks this would balance the game nicely, that is, until we apply abilities(which would pretty much make every single creature in-game more expensive).

Of course, some cards with very high stats are horribly imbalanced, such as Armagio or Massive Dragon. That's only because of how the system works, though.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 10:29:12 pm by Naii_the_Baf »
War 10 :time :time :water :time :chroma 14
Old avatar: http://i.imgur.com/Zs7LGRT.png

Offline kaempfer13

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 44
  • kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.
  • Awards: There Can Only Be One - 2020 WinnerSlice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeOEtG Rags to Riches WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerElements League 3/2018 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerThere Can Be Only One - 2018 WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner12th Trials - Master of TimeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerElements League 2/2017 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWinner of Draft #4 - PvP EventSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerDeckbuilding Competition: It's Greek to MeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Regularized Creature Costs https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=64794.msg1267388#msg1267388
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 09:37:58 pm »
All of these dont factor in elemental synergy and some of these were somewhat oddly balanced by making their upgrades much stronger while the original card proved lackluster.

The original cost theory was as follows: atk+floor(health/5)-1(if upgraded)-up to 1(if it matches the stated strength of an element that is clearly lacking in other aspects, most notably life getting a 1 cost discount on all creatures), with further discounts for cards costing 4 or less. It is true that many creatures fail to match this.

damselfly is just plain op, especially with sofree (I think a plain 2|1 for 0 is playable and this card also acts as a pillar (meaning that the added 2|1 is essentially a 1 quanta draw and play a pillar without thinning your deck)). Before shards however fire was stronger than air and had more uses for excess quanta (firebolt, fahren).

I don't really get why all good air cards become so much stronger when upgraded (ok the shields stay about the same but they where really good from the get go) and sofree pushes this further. Unless you count air as getting a 1 quanta discount on anything related to airborne it is too strong.

These dont really compare, aflatoxin is much weaker cc then antimatter. It is true though that :death is really aggressively stated for what it does, while :entropy falls way behind and doesnt even deal with pesky abilities, no matter how many times it uses its ability.

Nah not really. Shrieker is vulnerable when it needs to be invincible the most, it is in fact weaker while invincible and it has less synergies. Anubis requires more/stronger cc to be dealt with, has synergy with SoR and can give invulnerability to other creatures. However its ability costs more and its much less suitable to be used as a hitter. Given your emphasis on the ability it seems you actually think anubis is stronger. the meta thinks otherwise (though its mostly because it fits better into graboid decks)

worst water creature vs strongest life creature. As I mentioned above life is simply supposed to have the most costefficient creatures and blue crawler only gets usefull once  upgraded.

There is also synergy with eclipse  and the one you mentioned with rt/eternity, neither of which are worth an extra quanta (especially since its a big deal whether you can play it immediately or only after turn 1), but explain why zanz thought he couldn't make it cost 0.

Yh well unobtainable cards are balanced differently. Your spreadsheet isn't much use until you factor in abilities and whether you can actually put it in your deck.
:gravity War 10
:death and tied for master of STANDIN War 11
Master of :time War 12

Offline Captain Scibra

• Reputation Power: 20
  • Captain Scibra is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.Captain Scibra is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.Captain Scibra is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.Captain Scibra is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.
  • Do Domhantarraingt. Dúinn go léir.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 7th Birthday Cake8th Trials - Master of GravitySlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: Regularized Creature Costs https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=64794.msg1267391#msg1267391
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 10:58:53 pm »
For my thread: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/design-theory/the-new-card-theory-thread/

I agree with the above, somewhat.  I don't think it's strictly OP (because technically, it simply gets the bigger -2 upgrade bonus).  Rather, Brimstone Eater should be 3|1 to compensate for it retaining a cost; because, while this only applies to restricted PvP, Fire does not deserve a free creature to combo with Immolation.

Dragons are... weird.  To also include the many remembered attempts at cards with themes like "Heroes" and "Titans", dragons have that awkward place in which every element has notably different direct synergies with different sizes of creatures.  I respectfully point the finger at Phase Dragon being the only non-vanilla dragon because of Parallel Universe.  My thought would be to add some sort of passive to every dragon, since I do think Parallel Universe is fairly priced so long as it cannot combine with Phase Dragon, which the only solution to that is its Immateriality.

Honestly, Grey Nymph is by far the most overpowered.  In just about any creature-cost theory (if not all), the stats alone make up for its playing cost.  While in some light its ability is basically a double-poison, it's ability cost doesn't even compensate for that.  A few of the nymphs have strong self-synergy, and I think we should consider that as their focal point, and then make tweaks to them or cards that they synergize with.  Making Grey Nymph a glass cannon (2hp) so that (even though it won't be the main used strategy) it can kill itself with its own ability, summon a horde of Malignant Cells, and also we need a mass-sacrifice card for Death I think to synergize with this now one-card possibility.

Graboid aside, Shrieker is fine.  Anubis does need a buff, for both grades.  I'd reduce the non-upgraded ability cost to 1 :aether (making it that for both), and the upgrade gets better stats, maybe like 6|5 (now it's conveniently in range of being Lightning'd) and maybe a slight cost decrease.

The simplest one to answer. Blue Crawler vs Horned Frog.  In my thread, I explain Life getting a creature and creature generation mechanic bonus.  That is, creatures as well as spells or permanents that generate or allow the generation of creatures get a -1 cost.  For Blue Crawler, it receives no bonus because Water's is perceived to be that of duality; so cards with a non-Water ability cost get cost even less for having an off-cost ability.

Another "token" comparison, I think that Photon needs to generate a single :light when played, but only when played.  As for Skeleton, I do think it should have no cost, but just that.  Light, from what I recall, might have a passive bonus for its creatures. (I think in the thread I initially noted that it was some sort of "ignorance" bonus).
Rule #1: The Captain is never wrong.  Rule #2: If the Captain is wrong, refer to Rule #1.
The New Card Theory Thread

Offline Espithel

• Legendary Member
  • Espithel hides under a Cloak.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeGive us the video.Slice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeZanz Christmas Present Competition - Winner
Re: Regularized Creature Costs https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=64794.msg1267392#msg1267392
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 11:14:57 pm »
Also bear in mind that entropy can use its nymph much better than death's - Ivory Dragon exists and is generally a stronger hitter, competing with Death's nymph. Entropy's nymph, on the other end, can easily shut down entire games if it's not dealt with the turn it comes out in a way Death's nymph simply can't - It's more comparable to Squid than death's nymph.

Otherwise, yeah, a lot of these costs are arbitrary AF.

Offline ARTHANASIOS

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • ARTHANASIOS brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.ARTHANASIOS brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.ARTHANASIOS brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.ARTHANASIOS brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.ARTHANASIOS brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.ARTHANASIOS brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.ARTHANASIOS brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.ARTHANASIOS brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.ARTHANASIOS brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.ARTHANASIOS brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.
  • Cockatrices ftw!
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeCard Design Competition - Doomsday Device(TM)Weekly Tournament WinnerBrawl #2 Winner - Team FireSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeElemental Warrior Competition Winner
Re: Regularized Creature Costs https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=64794.msg1267393#msg1267393
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 06:45:02 am »
Purple Nymph also combines well with Adrenaline and Adrenaline combines well with Antimatter, making it a super-powerful combo that can stop entire creature-based decks that lack CC or SoSac-based decks. On the other hand, Adrenaline combines well with Grey Nymph and Alfatoxin as well, but the result is not that powerful imho.

Moreover, due to an EtG's bug, Purple Nymph is the most common nymph in the game, so I think it needs its low stats. :P
Brawl #1 team :time, Brawl #2 team :fire, Brawl #3 team Silver Ferns, Brawl #4,7,8 Brawlmaster
War #8 team :life, War #10,11,12 team :light, Brawl #6 team FROGS :life

Offline Mr Muffin

• Reputation Power: 14
  • Mr Muffin is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.Mr Muffin is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • Sort of Young Elemental
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 10th Birthday Cake12th Trials - Master of LifeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeWar #11 Winner - Team LifeWeekly Tournament Winner11th Trials - Master of LifeBattle League 1/2017 2nd PlaceSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 7th Birthday Cake
Re: Regularized Creature Costs https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=64794.msg1267671#msg1267671
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 04:50:20 pm »
To more emphasize blue crawler being a bad card you can also compare it with these.

And to some extend these.

So blue crawlers not just a bad creature compared to life's efficient creatures.

Offline dawn to dusk

• Master of Light
  • dawn to dusk brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.dawn to dusk brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.dawn to dusk brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.dawn to dusk brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.dawn to dusk brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.dawn to dusk brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.dawn to dusk brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.dawn to dusk brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.dawn to dusk brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.dawn to dusk brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.
  • Awards: 14th Trials - Master of LightSlice of Elements 11th Birthday Cake13th Trials - Master of LightWar #12 - Sportsmanship AwardSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeCard Design Competition - The Fool Winner12th Trials - Master of LightDeckbuilding Competition - Elelections WinnerSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Design July 2015 - Bronze9th Trials - Master of LifeWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeWar #8 - Sportsmanship Award8th Trials - Master of LifeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday Cake
Re: Regularized Creature Costs https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=64794.msg1267701#msg1267701
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 09:35:38 am »
Gravity gets health bonuses, Cockatrice gets life's bonuses, and Flesh Spider carries the spider tag (which carries an ability of varying usability). Now for the latter, Flesh Spider is strictly better than Blue Crawler, but its ability isn't nearly worth 1 quanta. In which case, the best way to balance Blue Crawler would be to give it something small, that would be worth less than 1 quanta to base cost. Water gains off-element bonuses, but including an ability would also require an ability to be added to Abyssal, which, as we've established, is a balanced card

Offline Espithel

• Legendary Member
  • Espithel hides under a Cloak.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeGive us the video.Slice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeZanz Christmas Present Competition - Winner
Re: Regularized Creature Costs https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=64794.msg1267702#msg1267702
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 09:59:56 am »
Also bear in mind that water, probably more than any other element you've listed, is capable of tempo (Domination) much more.

Having to deal with cheap, beefy threats while also being incapable of significant offence for a time is a potent combination. Just ask darkness' Vagger/Drain life/Nighmare package.

Offline ARTHANASIOS

• Legendary Member
  • ARTHANASIOS brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.ARTHANASIOS brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.ARTHANASIOS brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.ARTHANASIOS brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.ARTHANASIOS brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.ARTHANASIOS brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.ARTHANASIOS brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.ARTHANASIOS brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.ARTHANASIOS brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.ARTHANASIOS brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.
  • Cockatrices ftw!
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeCard Design Competition - Doomsday Device(TM)Weekly Tournament WinnerBrawl #2 Winner - Team FireSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeElemental Warrior Competition Winner
Re: Regularized Creature Costs https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=64794.msg1267717#msg1267717
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 12:04:12 pm »
About Blue Crawler, keep in mind that Adrenaline can be almost in-element for Water (due to Nymph Tears) and a deck featuring a few Emerald Pillars/Pends, NTs and Blue Crawler is more than viable.

Spoiler for example deck:
Hover over cards for details, click for permalink
Deck import code : [Select]
5bs 5bs 5bs 5bs 5de 5de 5de 5de 5i4 5i4 5i4 5i4 5i4 5i6 5i6 5i6 5i6 5i6 5i6 5ig 5ig 5ig 5ig 5ig 5ig 5jm 5jm 5jm 5jm 5jm 8pp

Brawl #1 team :time, Brawl #2 team :fire, Brawl #3 team Silver Ferns, Brawl #4,7,8 Brawlmaster

Offline Mr Muffin

• Reputation Power: 14
  • Mr Muffin is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.Mr Muffin is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • Sort of Young Elemental
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 10th Birthday Cake12th Trials - Master of LifeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeWar #11 Winner - Team LifeWeekly Tournament Winner11th Trials - Master of LifeBattle League 1/2017 2nd PlaceSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 7th Birthday Cake
Re: Regularized Creature Costs https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=64794.msg1267747#msg1267747
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 07:01:49 pm »
About Blue Crawler, keep in mind that Adrenaline can be almost in-element for Water (due to Nymph Tears) and a deck featuring a few Emerald Pillars/Pends, NTs and Blue Crawler is more than viable.

Spoiler for example deck:
Hover over cards for details, click for permalink
Deck import code : [Select]
5bs 5bs 5bs 5bs 5de 5de 5de 5de 5i4 5i4 5i4 5i4 5i4 5i6 5i6 5i6 5i6 5i6 5i6 5ig 5ig 5ig 5ig 5ig 5ig 5jm 5jm 5jm 5jm 5jm 8pp

Those decks are inferior to mono water nymph tear decks and/or mono life rushes.

Off this topic on main topic, it matters not if every card is balanced with every other card if the elements are balanced enough as a whole.

Offline ARTHANASIOS

• Legendary Member
  • Cockatrices ftw!
Re: Regularized Creature Costs https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=64794.msg1267770#msg1267770
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2017, 07:46:59 am »
Those decks are inferior to mono water nymph tear decks and/or mono life rushes.

It depends to what deck you face. Adrenaline decks lack CC protection in comparison to NT decks while NT decks lack speed in comparison to Adrenaline ones. These ones have something of both (for a cost) and more late-game massive damage from both.

About elements being balanced enough as a whole, as long as Zanzarino is inactive, I doubt it will ever happen (though I am quite happy with the current level of balance; it could be worse, much worse)...

Offline JonathanCrazyJ

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 65
  • JonathanCrazyJ walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.JonathanCrazyJ walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.JonathanCrazyJ walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.JonathanCrazyJ walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.JonathanCrazyJ walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.JonathanCrazyJ walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.JonathanCrazyJ walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.JonathanCrazyJ walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.JonathanCrazyJ walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.JonathanCrazyJ walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.JonathanCrazyJ walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.JonathanCrazyJ walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.JonathanCrazyJ walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.
  • Top-Decking Words
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWar #12 Winner - Team DarknessWinner of Team PvP #812th Trials - Master of WaterSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeDeckbuilding Competition - Hierarchy11th Trials - Master of WaterSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeCard Competition - Idea Factory EspionageForum Brawl #6 Winner - The Tentacle's GripChampionship League 3/2016 2nd PlaceWar #10 - Sportsmanship AwardWeekly Tournament Winner	 Writing Competition: Elemental Rap WarBattle League 2/2016 1st Place10th Trials - Master of WaterWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeDeckbuilding Competition - No Matter How Many Times You Save The World2015 - PvP World ChampionForum Brawl #5 Winner - Abyss BrawlersBattle League 3/2015 1st PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerCompetition - Result ModifiersSolved the Ruby Mansion MurderBattle League 2/2015 3rd PlaceCard Competition - When Life Gives You Art...Writing Competition - 6th Birthday PartySlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeBattle League 1/2015 2nd PlaceSilver Donor
Re: Regularized Creature Costs https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=64794.msg1267774#msg1267774
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2017, 09:27:39 am »
Blue crawler is balanced because we have toadfish.
Toadfish is an unupped midrange hitter, but when upped, it fills a very differen role, so blue crawler is there JUST to fill the role of a midranged hitter in the upped bracket.
If we only had one or the other it wouldn't be fair.
Competitions!
Competition Mailing Lists are a SERVICE TAILORED FOR YOU!
If you like any Competitions at all, check them out, we are here for you!

anything
blarg: