*Author

SunnyGreens

Undergrowth | Overgrowth https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=6234.msg64174#msg64174
« on: May 06, 2010, 01:36:41 am »
NAME:
Undergrowth
ELEMENT:
Life
COST:
7 (Life)
TYPE:
Permanent
ATK|HP:
-
ABILITY:
Summon 7 plant shields that absorb N damage from a single source. N = number of counters. 2(Wind): Add one counter, may be played multiple times per turn.
ART BY:
-
IDEA BY:
SunnyGreens
NAME:
Overgrowth
ELEMENT:
Life
COST:
5 (Life)
TYPE:
Permanent
ATK|HP:
-
ABILITY:
Summon 7 plant shields that absorb N damage from a single source. N = number of counters. 2(Wind): Add one counter, may be played multiple times per turn.
ART BY:
-
IDEA BY:
SunnyGreens
NOTES: [/color][/b]
A kind of combination of Bone Wall and Leaf Dragon.

To be clear: unlike Bone Wall the strength of the Under/Overgrowth diminishes as the counters drop. If a 5/5 attacks when there are 5 counters, 0 damage is taken and one counter removed. If that 5/5 then attacks when there are 4 counters left, 1 damage pushes through and another counter removed leaving 3.

Edit: Revamped to read like the Bone Wall description for clarity.
SERIES: [/color][/b]
-

Offline tyranim

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 34
  • tyranim is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.tyranim is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.tyranim is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.tyranim is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.tyranim is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.tyranim is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.
  • formerly unit
Re: Undergrowth | Overgrowth https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=6234.msg64213#msg64213
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 03:16:45 am »
me like. anything to make air stronger is my friend
my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard and they're like "its better than yours" damn right, its better than yours! i can teach you but i'd have to charge!

Offline Kuroaitou

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 82
  • Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeMaster of Mafia10th Trials - Master of TimeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSilver DonorSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Undergrowth | Overgrowth https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=6234.msg64251#msg64251
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 06:13:33 am »
NOTES: A kind of combination of Bone Wall and Leaf Dragon.

To be clear: unlike Bone Wall the strength of the Under/Overgrowth diminishes as the counters drop. If a 5/5 attacks when there are 5 counters, 0 damage is taken and one counter removed. If that 5/5 then attacks when there are 4 counters left, 1 damage pushes through and another counter removed leaving 3.

So let's make another example, because the bold part needs to be further clarified:

-Let's say for 3 turns, you've had this out and converted ALL of your air quanta each turn into counters for this 'permanent' shield. Your opponent then finally gets a dragon with 10|5, fractals it, then plays 3 more of them.

First turn: His creatures remove 4 counters out of a possible 20, leaving you at 16. You generate no air quanta somehow.
Second turn: His creatures remove another 4 counters, now you're down to 12. No air quanta generation again.
Third turn: His first two dragons remove 2 counters, so that you're down to 10, then the third dragon deals one damage while removing a counter, while the fourth dragon deals two damage while removing another counter, finally setting you at 8 counters in the end.
...am I understanding it? Your idea is a little bit complex, and since it's NOT a shield, would a shield take prevalence over it first? (Or is it a shield? You need to specify what it is, or else I'm assuming it's an actual permanent you can play on the permanent side of the field...)

Offline Bloodshadow

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 46
  • Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.
  • 吞天纳地,魔渡众生。天下万物,唯我至尊。
  • Awards: Ultimate Profile WinnerOpposites Attract
Re: Undergrowth | Overgrowth https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=6234.msg64253#msg64253
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 06:25:46 am »
I think one counter is removed per attack source, regardless of whether that source deals damage to you or not.

For example, a 10/10 Golden Dragon removes 1 counter per attack, regardless of how many counters there are. For example, if you have 15 counters, no damage is dealt, but 1 counter is removed; if you have 7 counters, then 3 damage is dealt and 1 counter removed.
To be or not to be, I can do both at once. Go learn quantum mechanics, n00b.

Offline Avenger

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • Avenger is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Avenger is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Avenger is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Avenger is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Avenger is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.
  • War veteran
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSilver DonorWar #8 Winner - Team FireWar #7 Winner - Team AetherWar #6 Winner - Team AetherWar #5 Winner - Team Aether
Re: Undergrowth | Overgrowth https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=6234.msg64254#msg64254
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 06:31:36 am »
OK, but why air? I realize it is for a life/air connection, but wasn't there a better idea? Or i just don't see how air helps undergrowth.

SunnyGreens

Re: Undergrowth | Overgrowth https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=6234.msg64681#msg64681
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 11:05:26 pm »
I think I'm going to reword the card a bit when I have time. Yes, this is a shield. Remember this is essentially a variation on the Bone Shield card, so the counters work in a similar fashion. I think ill reword so it sounds more like the Bone Wall card's description. You guys have it essentially correct. To be sure though, each attack removes a counter regardless of damage dealt or not dealt. If the number of counters is less than the amount of damage dealt however, some of that damage will go through. Bone Wall, by comparison, blocks all damage with each counter no matter how much attack the creature has. Just think of this as a Hope shield with counters instead of luminescent creatures.

As for why air: I chose air because green was already using water and light for stuff. I decided to give air some love. If you're looking for more of a real-world connection between the two, air works because plants are built out of the carbon dioxide in the air. In fact, most of a plants mass is from the air (due to carbon fixation), so air makes as much, or even more, sense as water and light do.

SunnyGreens

Re: Undergrowth | Overgrowth https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=6234.msg65148#msg65148
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 11:59:56 pm »
Reworded the card so that it sounds similar to the Bone Wall description. Is that clearer? Does it make more sense?

Offline Essence

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 57
  • Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.
  • Voice of the Oracle -- Jezzie's Pimp -- Often Gone
  • Awards: 2nd Trials - Master of Water1st Trials - Master of WaterFG Deck-Designer - The OutcastsShard Madness! Competition WinnerEpic 3 Card Design Competition WinnerElder Recruiter
Re: Undergrowth | Overgrowth https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=6234.msg65151#msg65151
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 12:09:50 am »
Nope.

It needs to read:

Begins play with 7 Shield counters.  Each counter prevents 1 point of damage from physical damage sources.  Each time damage is prevented in this way, remove 1 Shield counter.

:air :air : Add 1 Shield counter.  This ability may be played multiple times each turn.

And all told, I think it's nearly unbalancable.  There's going to be times when it gets overrun the same turn you cast it (any time the opponent has 7+ creatures) or shortly thereafter -- and in most of those cases, it's going to be too weak for it's cost.  Then there will be times when the opponent doesn't have enough threats to keep up with your generation of Shield counters, in which case it will rapidly become like Hope -- preventing 30+ points of damage every turn, and unless your opponent has FFQ or Graveyard+Firestorm, he's basically finished.

Finding a middle ground between those two extremes will be tough.  Good luck. :)
If something happens and you think it deserves my attention, feel free to PM me. Other than that, I'm probably here if you want to shoot the breeze.

blarg: