*Author

Offline OdinVanguardTopic starter

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 67
  • OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.
  • Keeping The Jotnar at bay
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 4th Birthday Cake
Shinigami | Shinigami https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=59428.msg1203616#msg1203616
« on: September 03, 2015, 07:43:30 pm »
NAME:
Shinigami
ELEMENT:
Death
COST:
9 :death
TYPE:
Creature
ATK|HP:
8 | 1
TEXT:
Immune to creature targeting.
:death :death :death Death-Knell: Target creature dies after N turns.
N = square root of card cost.
NAME:
Shinigami
ELEMENT:
Death
COST:
9 :death
TYPE:
Creature
ATK|HP:
9 | 1
TEXT:
Immune to creature targeting.
:death :death Death-Knell: Target creature dies after N turns.
N = square root of card cost.

ART:
Original art source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinigami#/media/File:Nariaiji2559.jpg

Modified by OdinVanguard
IDEA:
OdinVanguard
NOTES:
"Today the old must give way to the new"

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee. (Ernest Hemingway)"

The calculation rounds up. This helps nudge the effect's power down a little. If it needs to be stronger, rounding down can be used instead

cost = 0 -> instant death
cost = 1 -> dies in 1 turn
cost = 2 - 4 -> dies in 2 turns
cost = 5 - 9 -> dies in 3 turns
cost = 10 - 15 -> dies in 4 turns

Turns are counted off at the time a creature attacks.

The "immune to creature targeting" means that creatures cannot target the Shinigami.
Spells, weapons, and other permanents can still target it.

Thematic references:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinigami
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinigami_(Death_Note)
SERIES:

« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 08:34:13 pm by OdinVanguard »
Whether the glass is half full or half empty is a moot point. It is always filled to the brim. It is only a matter of by what. The real question is: What fills you?
If your zombie plan is
kill -9 `ps l | awk '{print $2" "$3" "$9}' | grep "Z" | awk '{printf("%s ",$2)}'`
You might be a unix junky

Offline Zyardran

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 47
  • Zyardran is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Zyardran is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Zyardran is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Zyardran is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Zyardran is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Zyardran is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Zyardran is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Zyardran is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Zyardran is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.
  • Not too close, I'll burn you
  • Awards: No Cheese II Tourney Most Creative DeckWeekly Tournament Winner (2020.09.20.)Slice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeBrawl #7 Winner - Green NightSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeChampionship League 3/2016 3rd PlaceSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeTeam Competition - The Spy Who EMed MeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday Cake
Re: Shinigami | Shinigami https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=59428.msg1203623#msg1203623
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 08:22:39 pm »
I have nothing to say about this other than it is an interesting idea, but one question:
Why math?
Team :entropy War #14
The :light of my :fire guides the way...
Current profile picture

• Legendary Member
  • OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.
Re: Shinigami | Shinigami https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=59428.msg1203626#msg1203626
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 08:28:44 pm »
I have nothing to say about this other than it is an interesting idea, but one question:
Why math?
It needs something better than N = cost.
Having it take 10 turns for a dragon to die is kind of pointless, but 4 turns is still viable via congeal and BB.

I could have went with a linear coefficient, but it seemed to either end up to weak at the high end or too strong at the mid to low end.

Plus... Math is good for you. Algebra teachers everywhere will thank me... I jest... mostly...
Whether the glass is half full or half empty is a moot point. It is always filled to the brim. It is only a matter of by what. The real question is: What fills you?
If your zombie plan is
kill -9 `ps l | awk '{print $2" "$3" "$9}' | grep "Z" | awk '{printf("%s ",$2)}'`

Offline foxrain4

• Reputation Power: 10
  • foxrain4 is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.foxrain4 is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • Check my profile for a Dragon story link.
  • Awards: Card Design Competition - On the Shoulders of Giants
Re: Shinigami | Shinigami https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=59428.msg1203726#msg1203726
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 12:31:26 pm »
oddly, i find the "N = square root of card cost." to be satisfying
contrary to my usual opinion of no complicated math.

after summoning your creatures and see
it wiped out instantly the next round is unexciting,

the longer a creature stays in game,
the cooler the game gets.

Shinigami implements progressive removal of creatures
into the game which is a card making technique i have been seeking for.

Offline YumYum124816

• Reputation Power: 1
  • YumYum124816 is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Young Elemental
Re: Shinigami | Shinigami https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=59428.msg1203766#msg1203766
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 04:28:15 pm »
Isn't Death Note copyrighted? Are you sure that you can do that? Forgive me if I'm wrong though.

Offline UndeadSpider1990

• Reputation Power: 13
  • UndeadSpider1990 is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.UndeadSpider1990 is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • Hey you! Join a PvP event!
Re: Shinigami | Shinigami https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=59428.msg1203770#msg1203770
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 04:50:53 pm »
I think YumYum raises a valid point. Calling it Shinigami is fine. Naming its ability Death Note is also fine. Doing the two together just doesn't seem like a coincidence anymore. I don't know if copyright is anything to worry about, but it does seem to very clearly (and a little oddly imo) reference a certain well-known anime. I'd change the ability name if it was up to me, but I don't see any real harm in keeping it as it is.

The card itself is fantastic. Dat art. Go Crucible!! ;D
Like reading? Here's a story inspired by Elements, City of Alchemy. :)

• Legendary Member
Re: Shinigami | Shinigami https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=59428.msg1203778#msg1203778
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 05:44:28 pm »
Hmm... I suppose so. I can change it to something else if it seems like an issue... "beckon" or "death curse" or something like that.
If your zombie plan is

• Legendary Member
Re: Shinigami | Shinigami https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=59428.msg1203829#msg1203829
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 08:33:24 pm »
Updated.
Changed ability to "Death-Knell"
changed oracle fortune to match.
If your zombie plan is

blarg: