*Author

Offline OldTrees

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 114
  • OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • I was available for questions.
  • Awards: Brawl #2 Winner - Team FireTeam Card Design Winner
Re: New Element: Space series https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37131.msg465873#msg465873
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 11:31:02 am »
This is just a series with a new element, space, which is mainly themed toward field movement and (not to be redundant) spaces on the board. There has been a lot of hype about slot effects, whether it be creatures, permanents, individual, or field effects. Anyway I'm really excited about all these and wanted to make some of my own.

I thought of this while also thinking about Bloodshadow's void series ( which happens to be right here, believe me its awesome:D  http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,21514.0.html ). Although I know zanz is not to keen on adding new elements, I really wanted void to take off. Then I thought, what would be the thematic opposite to void (like fire and water/ death and life/etc.) ? It would be space imo. So here it is, more coming soon.

If I happen to make a card that is virtually the same as another card, please message me and give me a link to your card, so I can either take my card down or give you credit.

Enjoy ;)
1) Void is not an element it is a Pseuoelement. The difference is a new element (Like Mind) would introduce a 13th quanta pool. A Pseudoelement uses existing quanta pools.

2) Void is Nothing. Its opposite is something, not specifically Earth, tree, blue or space.

3) While Zanz has not commented on pseudo elements, he had stated that he was not going to consider new elements.

4) You started by defining the mechanical theme that tied your card set together. This is good.

5) Maneuverability and Space is you theme. I feel this is a mixture of Aether and Air.
Did you know that Aether refers to an ancient refuted theory about what space was? Some of the Greeks theoriezed that space was composed of a fifth element (Quintessence) that was named Aether.
Air can already move Weapons from the Weapon slot to open creature slots.

6) Blink Striker is a good starting point to develop the positional cards from.
"It is common sense to listen to the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their readiness to listen to the wisdom of the fool."
"Nothing exists that cannot be countered." -OldTrees on indirect counters
Ask the Idea Guru: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32272.0.htm

Bird man

Re: New Element: Space series https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37131.msg465979#msg465979
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 07:34:38 pm »
Hohoo, seems nice.
Say, what would the Blink Striker's effect be used to? Avoid Flooding, that's my first thought, but then what?
Or maybe it's in the upcoming support cards?

I can see this having some potential. Keep up the good work.
Thanks for the complement  :)
Not only do I see the potential for this ability in the other cards in the series, I see the potential with pretty much every single card that uses positioning as a mechanic, whether it be in the space series or not.

Bird man

Re: New Element: Space series https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37131.msg465997#msg465997
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 08:26:48 pm »
1) Void is not an element it is a Pseuoelement. The difference is a new element (Like Mind) would introduce a 13th quanta pool. A Pseudoelement uses existing quanta pools.

2) Void is Nothing. Its opposite is something, not specifically Earth, tree, blue or space.

3) While Zanz has not commented on pseudo elements, he had stated that he was not going to consider new elements.

4) You started by defining the mechanical theme that tied your card set together. This is good.

5) Maneuverability and Space is you theme. I feel this is a mixture of Aether and Air.
Did you know that Aether refers to an ancient refuted theory about what space was? Some of the Greeks theoriezed that space was composed of a fifth element (Quintessence) that was named Aether.

1- that is true, i'll go ahead and change that

2- yes void is akin to nothing, to nonexistence. I can only see space as the opposite of that. It is the one thing that is universal. There can be spaces where no energy or matter resides, yet space still exist. There can be times (such as at the event horizon of a black hole) where time slows to a complete stop, yet there are still distances, and therefore space. Space is eternal and indestructible, and therefore, is the best candidate imo for the representation of existence.

3- yeah I'm pretty much consigned to the fact that we won't see any new elements :'( but this series is more of just an outline to gather my ideas and keep me on the right track

4- In Greek mythology, you would be absolutely correct. But they were looking at aether as a sort of fabric, or energy, in space. They believed it was sort of like the air that the gods breathed. But I'm looking at space not as something material in the sense of matter and energy, I'm looking at it in a more mathematical way, like something that just is, diametrically opposed to the void, which just isn't. I hope I'm not being to confusing. As for air, I'm not too worried. Elements will sometimes overlap a little on some of their mechanics, much like immateriality with aether and light, damage output with fire and air, or defense and large creatures with earth and gravity. Regardless, though, the cards i'm trying to come up with will not resemble air creatures very much, as I'm not giving airborne status to any of them (not even the dragon).

5- Thank you ;D

Offline OldTrees

• Legendary Member
  • OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
Re: New Element: Space series https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37131.msg466004#msg466004
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 08:44:56 pm »

2- yes void is akin to nothing, to nonexistence. I can only see space as the opposite of that. It is the one thing that is universal. There can be spaces where no energy or matter resides, yet space still exist. There can be times (such as at the event horizon of a black hole) where time slows to a complete stop, yet there are still distances, and therefore space. Space is eternal and indestructible, and therefore, is the best candidate imo for the representation of existence.

4- In Greek mythology, you would be absolutely correct. But they were looking at aether as a sort of fabric, or energy, in space. They believed it was sort of like the air that the gods breathed. But I'm looking at space not as something material in the sense of matter and energy, I'm looking at it in a more mathematical way, like something that just is, diametrically opposed to the void, which just isn't. I hope I'm not being to confusing. As for air, I'm not too worried. Elements will sometimes overlap a little on some of their mechanics, much like immateriality with aether and light, damage output with fire and air, or defense and large creatures with earth and gravity. Regardless, though, the cards i'm trying to come up with will not resemble air creatures very much, as I'm not giving airborne status to any of them (not even the dragon).
The opposite of the absence of color is not a single color.
Elements are pure like single colors.
The opposite of the absence of Elements is Elements not a single Element.

Void was made a Pseudoelement in part because it was not meant to have an elemental opposite. Bloodshadow did make a second Pseudoelement to work as its opposite. The opposite he selected for Nothing was Everything.

Void is the absence of Space, Time, Matter, Energy and Concept. The big bang started as an infinite clump of matter and energy in no space. The pre big bang is not nothing despite lacking space (and time if you look at only a moment). So Space, nor Time nor a hybrid of the two is a direct opposite of Void.

I would recommend looking over the element Aether in more depth. Both by its specific cards and by its relationship with Time. I think a closer examination of Aether would reveal to you that it incorporates your concept of Space in addition to its other themes of Mind and Electricity.

I suspect most of your space cards would easily fit in Aether. This is something to consider when you prepare to submit suggestions to Zanz through the Crucible process.
"It is common sense to listen to the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their readiness to listen to the wisdom of the fool."
Ask the Idea Guru: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32272.0.htm

Bird man

Re: New Element: Space series https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37131.msg466071#msg466071
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 11:48:51 pm »
@Oldtrees
Your points are all valid, but considering this is a fantasy game, i'll stick with the name of the element, as well as the color. If it ever gets far enough to draw zanz's attention, then he can put it into whatever element he sees fit for it

Bird man

Re: New Element: Space series https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37131.msg466076#msg466076
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 12:00:58 am »
here we go, the shield for this element

NAME:
Resonance Shield
ELEMENT:
Space
COST:
4 :space
TYPE:
Permanent
ATK|HP:
TEXT:
Shield: Physical damage reduced by N+1.  N is the number of filled rows on your opponents field.
NAME:
Resonance Wall
ELEMENT:
Space
COST:
4 :space
TYPE:
Permanent
ATK|HP:
TEXT:
Shield: Physical Damage reduced by N+2.  N is the number of filled rows on your opponents field.
ART:
Bird man
IDEA:
Bird man
NOTES:
Pretty self explanatory... shield adds defense based on the amount of filled rows in the both you and your enemy's creature board.

This shield's concept came from the backstory of the Shargade. Being a race all about efficiency, they created defenses that did not waste energy where they were not needed, as well as using energy from alternative sources. This shield was designed use minute amounts of energy natural given off by their race, as well as absorbing the kinetic energy of attackers. Both of these forms of energy are combined to form a force field that uses just enough energy to repel attacks
SERIES:
New Element: Space series

Offline UnderneathTheLens

• Reputation Power: 10
  • UnderneathTheLens is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.UnderneathTheLens is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 4th Birthday Cake
Re: New Element: Space series https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37131.msg466078#msg466078
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2012, 12:12:14 am »
The shield seems UP. First, in order to have it be effective, you need a lot of creatures. Second, it's maximum DR potential is still only 4 with 23 creatures on your side. By the time you get to 23 creatures, it will be very late game.

Bird man

Re: New Element: Space series https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37131.msg466079#msg466079
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2012, 12:13:00 am »
I thought I should give a backstory to the space cards. Just a little information for the imagination, cuz I believe that is a significant part of what makes elements fun (at least to me it does).

Backstory for it is basically this:
The original race for space energy is a sentient robot (called The Shargade, refer to themselves individually as shargajin) race similar to the geth from mass effect, except without the support of the Reapers (thank goodness). They are are not militaristic as one would expect, but rather defensive and mercantile. But when threatened, they will fight back. Since their  very lives are technology, they have perfected mechanical weaponry, as well as bodily augmentation. While they treat one another with respect and integrity (most of the time), there is a definite and complex caste system that rarely involves promotion based on merit. While they have no official religion, the public holds science in such high regard that it borders on fanaticism. The scientific community very much resembles a religious order, where reigning theories are dogma, and revolutionary ideas are notoriously difficult to keep alive. In their daily life, the citizenry is always orderly and punctual, characteristic of their very nature, efficient. Outsiders have often mistaken this efficiency in thinking as a sign of lack of emotions. This is not the case. It is their way to analyze their own emotions and then, based on their desires, formulate a logical plan of action. They can still care for others, and seek revenge, etc., but they rarely (if ever) act impulsively. In that regard it makes them somewhat dangerous, because if they want to deceive or harm you and they think they can get away with it, you'll be sure that
they will follow through with it with a well organized plan in place. Luckily they mostly seem to be good-natured.

Recently their empire has started to run low on energy sources and rare (but necessary) metals, forcing them to expand. This has brought them into contact many other races and nations. While slow to trust these newcomers, many have become good freinds with the shargade, due in part to their unshakeable loyalty and integrity, and probably also due to their menacing armor and size. They have brought with them boundless advances in sustainable energy, efficient machinery, and powerful weaponry. Culture wise, they have introduced math based artwork, exceptional electronica and dubstep music, and a new gold standard of robot dancing. Not surprisingly, mining and refining companies stocks have skyrocketed, and computer programmers and repairmen have increased their business exponentially. The shargade have also learnt much from their foreign counterparts, most notably the theory of procrastination and humor (humor was present in their culture, just not physically expressed through smiling, laughter, etc.). Due to their lack of tastebuds, and in most cases, mouths, they will probably never understand the art of cooking. All in all, the average shargajin has assimilated quite well into this larger world, and only bright futures can be seen so far.  ;D

Bird man

Re: New Element: Space series https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37131.msg466081#msg466081
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 12:14:02 am »
The shield seems UP. First, in order to have it be effective, you need a lot of creatures. Second, it's maximum DR potential is still only 4 with 23 creatures on your side. By the time you get to 23 creatures, it will be very late game.
It also works with the creatures on your opponents field

Offline OldTrees

• Legendary Member
Re: New Element: Space series https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37131.msg466082#msg466082
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2012, 12:14:38 am »
@Oldtrees
Your points are all valid, but considering this is a fantasy game, i'll stick with the name of the element, as well as the color. If it ever gets far enough to draw zanz's attention, then he can put it into whatever element he sees fit for it
You are the author. However what did you mean by the underlined part? Did it have anything to do with Verisimilitude (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verisimilitude_(literature))?

Your shield will have ranges of 0-6,7-18,19-22 and 23 creatures.

Bird man

Re: New Element: Space series https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37131.msg466085#msg466085
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2012, 12:25:09 am »

You are the author. However what did you mean by the underlined part? Did it have anything to do with Verisimilitude (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verisimilitude_(literature))?

Your shield will have ranges of 0-6,7-18,19-22 and 23 creatures.
you could say so. Truth can often low outside the bounds of verisimilitude ;)

anyway, i want to clarify the ranges for the shield. 0-6, while being a valid range, results in a DR of 0. Only completely filled rows add +1 damage reduction. hopes this helps

Bird man

Re: New Element: Space series https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=37131.msg466158#msg466158
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2012, 04:39:09 am »
This is the token weapon of space, to be frank, not enough games offer scythes as weapons, and I think they are the coolest things EVER :D :D :D
Anyway, pretty unsure of the balancing for this, can't really tell if its even useful or if its too overpowered

NAME:
Vast Edge
ELEMENT:
Space
COST:
6 :space
TYPE:
Permanent
ATK|HP:
6|3 when flying
TEXT:
Weapon: Deal 6 damage at the end of every turn.
Rend: 5 quanta — Destroy creature or permanent slot
NAME:
Immense Edge
ELEMENT:
Space
COST:
6 :space
TYPE:
Permanent
ATK|HP:
6|3 when flying
TEXT:
Weapon: Deal 7 damage at the end of every turn.
Rend: 5 quanta — Destroy creature or permanent slot
ART:
Bird man
IDEA:
Bird man
NOTES:
Basically creates a rip in space where nothing can enter

This basically a clogging mechanism which is slower but much more effective then malignant cell, with a high cost for playing and using abilities.

This ability will only work on empty creature or permanent slots, and cannot target weapon or shield slots.
SERIES:
New Element: Space series

blarg: