*Author

FredTheCat

Xenophobia l Xenophobia https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16756.msg214460#msg214460
« on: December 01, 2010, 05:25:26 pm »
NAME:
Xenophobia
ELEMENT:
Aether
COST:
14  :aether
TYPE:
Permanent
ATK|HP:
TEXT:
When this card is in play, no new creatures can be played.
NAME:
Xenophobia
ELEMENT:
Aether
COST:
12  :aether
TYPE:
Permanent
ATK|HP:
TEXT:
When this card is in play, no new creatures can be played.
ART:
FredTheCat
IDEA:
FredTheCat
NOTES:
***Insert additional information***
SERIES:
***Insert series name and link to series page (if any)***

Sooo this is basically my idea for the Mash-Up Contest.

Its kind of simple, and would be perfect with fractal. (Thinking on making a counter to it, that would be perfect with Nightmare and counter this).

So as long as this is in play no new creatures can be played; So if i have a Vampire and a Obsidian Dragon i can play as many Vampires and Dragons i want. But No Pests.

But if my opponent has a pest i could play a pest.

So basically no new creature cards can come into play when this is on the field.

Soo, give me some feedback; OP, UP or Great?

I know it might not fit with Aether but it was meant for the Mash-UP Contest.
And Xenophobia is "The Fear of strangers".

Offline Ajit

• Reputation Power: 15
  • Ajit is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Ajit is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Ajit is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • Awards: Winner of the Card Border Redesign
Re: Xenophobia l Xenophobia https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16756.msg214465#msg214465
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 05:39:33 pm »
Pretty unique idea I think.  At first I thought you mean NO creatures could be played while it is on the field, but now I see it's just no more creatures that aren't already on the field.

I still think it might be OP'd though because you could get this thing out in 4~5 rounds at the very beginning and your opponent might not have a single creature out yet.

I don't know, perhaps a 5 turn limit and a cost reduction?

FredTheCat

Re: Xenophobia l Xenophobia https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16756.msg214468#msg214468
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 05:49:58 pm »
Pretty unique idea I think.  At first I thought you mean NO creatures could be played while it is on the field, but now I see it's just no more creatures that aren't already on the field.

I still think it might be OP'd though because you could get this thing out in 4~5 rounds at the very beginning and your opponent might not have a single creature out yet.

I don't know, perhaps a 5 turn limit and a cost reduction?
I was a bit afraid it might be OP, but as i see it, it would work best for a Mono Aether or RoL. Mono Aether is already high cost cards and would require 17 Aether atleast to get an Immortal and a Phase Dragon.
Then add in 12 Aether. maybe just me, but 29 Aether Quanta in 5 turns + 2 Creature cards AND this? Damn a lucky draw :D

And for a RoL it would be hard to get both RoLs and Dragons + this so fast.

And this could easily be stolen and Deflagged. Remember its only Creatures.

But you might be right, ill wait and hear what others have to say.

Offline Ajit

• Reputation Power: 15
  • Ajit is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Ajit is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Ajit is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • Awards: Winner of the Card Border Redesign
Re: Xenophobia l Xenophobia https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16756.msg214471#msg214471
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 05:58:18 pm »
OK :)

but I don't see why you specifically need both a phase dragon and an immortal, could just go immortals.

FredTheCat

Re: Xenophobia l Xenophobia https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16756.msg214476#msg214476
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 06:13:50 pm »
OK :)

but I don't see why you specifically need both a phase dragon and an immortal, could just go immortals.
Ofcourse you don't need it.

But many shields blocks it kind of badassly.
Atleast all upgraded, except skull Buckler and Mirror.
Just blocking 2 Damage from a immortal is quite much.
Mainly because you max could get 6 which equals 18 damage each turn.
18 Damage as max the whole game? That really isn't much.

Soo in my head it would be kind of Useless?

And for only dragons its kind of much

Offline The_Mormegil

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.
  • Intelligence is overrated.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWar #5 Winner - Team AetherTeam PvP WinnerNew Slot Winner - FamiliarDeadly Sin Winner - GluttonyFirst Budosei of BudokanWinner of Revive the Archive
Re: Xenophobia l Xenophobia https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16756.msg214488#msg214488
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 06:52:14 pm »
It would be too OP if without a counter.

Imagine a version of the RoL+Fractal+Hope deck that uses this and changes mark to earth to use Protect Artifact.

Also, imagine a deck using the new Soul Catcher to get death quanta for plagues and aflatoxins + RoL + Fractal and this. Kill your opponents' creatures so that only you can play them.
[18:21:43] jmdt: elements is just math over top of a GUI
Kakerlake: I believe that there is no God as in something that can think by itself and does stuff that sounds way OP.

FredTheCat

Re: Xenophobia l Xenophobia https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16756.msg214491#msg214491
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 06:59:50 pm »
It would be too OP if without a counter.

Imagine a version of the RoL+Fractal+Hope deck that uses this and changes mark to earth to use Protect Artifact.

Also, imagine a deck using the new Soul Catcher to get death quanta for plagues and aflatoxins + RoL + Fractal and this. Kill your opponents' creatures so that only you can play them.
I see What you mean. Seems a bit OP that way.

But im Planning on making a Xenophilia, that works the opposite way. Only new Creatures could be played. Would also counter Fractal :)

But thats also a heck of a combo too pull of.

And a Trio isn't easy to pull of.

And weapons, Lances and stuff like that can still attack.

And a Rush would easily outrush it ;)

Ruduen

Re: Xenophobia l Xenophobia https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16756.msg214496#msg214496
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 07:06:39 pm »
If they have no monsters out in the first place... Yeah.

I think the easiest balance is to put a duration on it. That is, make it only last for a number of turns. Even then, with the rest of Aether's arsenal, it could still be dangerous. The fact that Aether still has Fractal at its disposal afterwards...

And even if you have an opposite version of it, it doesn't change the balance of this card. In fact, I'm fairly certain that both cards are fairly powerful. Both together just create a complete lock, so... Yeah.

Neat idea, but it really needs weakening or tweaking.

FredTheCat

Re: Xenophobia l Xenophobia https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16756.msg214501#msg214501
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 07:17:24 pm »
Great, thanks for the responses... ill try tweaking one of the following days, but for now it'll be as it is now

Offline Nepycros

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.
  • My creativity was OP, so I had to nerf it.
Re: Xenophobia l Xenophobia https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16756.msg214605#msg214605
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 10:40:23 pm »
Aflatoxin? Seeing as it's a spell that generates creatures (love the mechanic XD ) I'm wondering as to whether or not this card will deny it.
Perception is the source of misunderstanding.

Why, yes. I do have a Mindgate necklace. It's how I ninja everyone.

Offline Kuroaitou

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 82
  • Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeMaster of Mafia10th Trials - Master of TimeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSilver DonorSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Xenophobia l Xenophobia https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16756.msg214857#msg214857
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 05:40:48 am »
CURATOR COMMENT
-Leave the ATK|HP section of the table blank if the card isn't a creature
-Add a '.' or period to the end of your TEXT section (the ability must match in both the table and card image, word for word, punctuation symbol for punctuation symbol)

Aether has a lot of expensive cards, but this one actually justifies it the most - if you play it early enough before you opponent can get new creatures out, you've effectively denied them the ability to do any offense towards you (aside from weapons and spells). For that matter, how would this work with Animated Weapons? Since the weapon is a permanent, and it gets flown (turned into a 'creature'), would the weapon still be okay (since it was on the field before the card was played), or would it just disappear?

Ridiculous synergy with Fractal as well, now that I think about it. :P

kobisjeruk

Re: Xenophobia l Xenophobia https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16756.msg214860#msg214860
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 05:51:52 am »
i have a love/hate relationship with this card
i love what it does (YES'D) but i hate that its in aether
darkness would be a better home for something like this (and that Xenon mind controlling gas thingy)

blarg: