*Author

Offline Rutarete

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 72
  • Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.
  • Creativity should be nurtured.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeRuby Shard of DeckbuildingSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: Favourite Books of All Time https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=25797.msg1011906#msg1011906
« Reply #132 on: October 30, 2012, 09:07:39 pm »
Right now I really like The Belgaraid and The Malloreon by David Eddings. But all fantasy will do for me.
Love :D
It is the greatest mystery of all...
Rutarete: Roo tah reh teh
[22:50] <Jyi> meaning gets lost in translation... even in the same language.
My Decks

Offline Sqantic Pilau

• Reputation Power: 1
  • Sqantic Pilau is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Old and hairy - kind o' scary.
Re: Favourite Books of All Time https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=25797.msg1015101#msg1015101
« Reply #133 on: November 12, 2012, 02:59:49 pm »
Hmm where do I start ?
Great Expectations - for me Dickens' greatest work - read it when I was about 14 and it's stayed with me ever since ;
Great plot, glorious language, very funny,  deals with love, hate, regret, redemption and more . . . . surely a candidate for greatest ever English novel.

Lord of the Rings - well who doesn't have it as one of their faves.

Anything by A E Van Vogt - a guilty pleasure but, for me, he's a unsung hero of Sci-fi

And a bit left field but "Slaughter of the Innocent" by Hans Ruesch. Emotionally a very difficult book to read but a must for anyone who professes to love animals.
A renowned work published in 1978 Ruesch proves that vivisection is scientific fraud.

And for the nerd in me, one of Porter's fantastic sixth-form maths text books - any will do but perhaps Dakin & Porter "'Elementary Analysis" is my fav. Happy memories.

By eck it's reet gradley, it's a proper Sqantic that is, I tells thee.

Offline The Fourth Horseman

• The Fourth Horseman is a Spark waiting for a buff.
Re: Favourite Books of All Time https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=25797.msg1025208#msg1025208
« Reply #134 on: December 24, 2012, 09:41:43 am »
I love all books written by David Gemmel and most books written by Raymond.E.Feist otherwise my favorite book is probably From where I stand by Tabitha Suzuma.
Welcome to the machine, there is no escape.

Offline Rutarete

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 72
  • Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.
  • Creativity should be nurtured.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeRuby Shard of DeckbuildingSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: Favourite Books of All Time https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=25797.msg1025302#msg1025302
« Reply #135 on: December 24, 2012, 06:33:21 pm »
most books written by Raymond.E.Feist
Which ones do you not like?
It is the greatest mystery of all...
Rutarete: Roo tah reh teh
[22:50] <Jyi> meaning gets lost in translation... even in the same language.
My Decks

Offline Marsu

• Reputation Power: 18
  • Marsu is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Marsu is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Marsu is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • Green.
  • Awards: Winner of Booster Draft #2 - PvP EventBattle League 2/2013 Third Place7th Trials - Master of LifeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeBattle League 1/2013 WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Favourite Books of All Time https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=25797.msg1027724#msg1027724
« Reply #136 on: January 02, 2013, 07:38:25 pm »
My favourites are, in no specific order:

Peter Ustinov - The Old Man and Mr. Smith
J.R.R. Tolkien - Lord Of The Rings
Haruki Murakami - ねじまき鳥クロニクル (The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle), 世界の終りとハードボイルド・ワンダーランド   (Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World)
Thomas Mann - Bekenntnisse des Hochstaplers Felix Krull (Confessions of Felix Krull, Confidence Man)
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe - Faust
Hermann Hesse - NarziƟ und Goldmund (Narcissus and Goldmund)

Offline Stormy

• Stormy is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • New to Elements
Re: Favourite Books of All Time https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=25797.msg1028130#msg1028130
« Reply #137 on: January 03, 2013, 09:36:59 pm »
Someone had to have mentioned this already (I'm too lazy to go through 12 pages of posts), but my favorite is the Ender's Game series by Orson Scott Card

Offline Gambb

• Reputation Power: 0
  • Gambb is a Spark waiting for a buff.
Re: Favourite Books of All Time https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=25797.msg1028179#msg1028179
« Reply #138 on: January 03, 2013, 11:47:18 pm »
Currently my favorite book is Black Swan by Nassim Taleb. It's non-fiction, just some notes about how the world works, about people etc. Book focuses on unpredictability of events, but is much deeper then some "swan happens"-slogan. Also, it's overfilled with Taleb's charisma. It all is why this book is so great to me.

Offline MaTianLong

• Reputation Power: 2
  • MaTianLong is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Animated Morning Glory + SoW= Excalibur
Re: Favourite Books of All Time https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=25797.msg1035234#msg1035234
« Reply #139 on: January 25, 2013, 03:19:32 am »
All the good old Sci-Fi, ( Golden Age of Sci-Fi ) few authors I don't like, however, if you want some Sci-Fi titles ask me
Proud Member and Samurai of Team Earth in War 6

Fight the Fire with the Fire, fight ALL with the Fire

Offline calcan

• calcan is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • If you can't beat them, PU them
Re: Favourite Books of All Time https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=25797.msg1039797#msg1039797
« Reply #140 on: February 07, 2013, 08:56:31 pm »
Call of the Wild by Jack London is my favorite.
If I had a hammer, I'd hammer in the morning, I'd hammer in the evening, unless I had a gavel.

Offline rob77dp

• Master of Death
  • Reputation Power: 59
  • rob77dp is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.rob77dp is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.rob77dp is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.rob77dp is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.rob77dp is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.rob77dp is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.rob77dp is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.rob77dp is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.rob77dp is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.rob77dp is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.rob77dp is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.
  • Am I back?!? Time zone US Central -5/-6GMT
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 13th Birthday Cake14th Trials - Master of DeathWeekly Tournament Winner (2020.08.16.)Slice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWinner of Team PvP #812th Trials - Master of DeathWinner of 12 Lives #4Slice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeForum Brawl #6 Winner - The Tentacle's Grip10th Trials - Master of DeathWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeTeam Competition - The Spy Who EMed MeGold Donor9th Trials - Master of DeathSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday Cake7th Trials - Master of Death
Re: Favourite Books of All Time https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=25797.msg1039829#msg1039829
« Reply #141 on: February 07, 2013, 10:29:47 pm »
I submit to you my #2 favorite book of all-time:

(purely for entertainment purposes)
Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein

If you can, read the un-abridged version.  The abridged version is definitely well-done too, but loses a lot of detail depth that Heinlein is SO good at creating.

Enjoy!
Death War #12/TBD TTG Brawl #6/1st Death War #10/9th GP Brawl #5/6th Death War #9/9th MoL Brawl #4/3rd Water War #8/7th DDD Brawl #3/3rd*Death War #7/5th*Death War #6/11th

Offline Zarathustra1883

• Reputation Power: 5
  • Zarathustra1883 is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Thus spoke Zarathustra...let there be Elements
Re: Favourite Books of All Time https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=25797.msg1039841#msg1039841
« Reply #142 on: February 07, 2013, 10:58:24 pm »
My favorite book is actually 8 books!  ::)

The Dark Tower from Stephen King. I have read LotR the first time around 20 years ago and have read it about 15 times now, save to say Tolkiens story is number 2 but for me SK is a god among modern writers. My collection is 43 books now and Dark Tower is the climax of his stories!

• The Dark Tower (Stephen King)
  • Lord of the Rings (J.R.R. Tolkien)
  • At the Mountains of Madness (H.P. Lovecraft)
The true man wants two things: danger and play! For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline rob77dp

• Master of Death
  • Reputation Power: 59
  • rob77dp is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.rob77dp is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.rob77dp is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.rob77dp is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.rob77dp is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.rob77dp is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.rob77dp is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.rob77dp is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.rob77dp is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.rob77dp is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.rob77dp is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.
  • Am I back?!? Time zone US Central -5/-6GMT
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 13th Birthday Cake14th Trials - Master of DeathWeekly Tournament Winner (2020.08.16.)Slice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWinner of Team PvP #812th Trials - Master of DeathWinner of 12 Lives #4Slice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeForum Brawl #6 Winner - The Tentacle's Grip10th Trials - Master of DeathWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeTeam Competition - The Spy Who EMed MeGold Donor9th Trials - Master of DeathSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday Cake7th Trials - Master of Death
Re: Favourite Books of All Time https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=25797.msg1041659#msg1041659
« Reply #143 on: February 13, 2013, 12:28:11 am »
I submit to you my #2 favorite book of all-time:

(purely for entertainment purposes)
Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein

If you can, read the un-abridged version.  The abridged version is definitely well-done too, but loses a lot of detail depth that Heinlein is SO good at creating.

Enjoy!

Add to this one - Catch 22.  Great read, this.
Death War #12/TBD TTG Brawl #6/1st Death War #10/9th GP Brawl #5/6th Death War #9/9th MoL Brawl #4/3rd Water War #8/7th DDD Brawl #3/3rd*Death War #7/5th*Death War #6/11th

blarg: