*Author

Offline Dandy

• Reputation Power: 3
  • Dandy is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Antlion used burrow! It's not very effective!
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 7th Birthday Cake
Re: Lesson 5: Reboot https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=38550.msg487471#msg487471
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 10:57:51 pm »
I'd love to try and get involved with this, even though the best art that I can do mostly consists of stick figures. (I'd do it mostly to see if I can improve myself, rather than think of them as viable card art...unless of course, "stick figure" becomes a card)

Unfortunately, I'm a bit busy now, as it's the end of my semester, which means finals. When I have more free time, would I be able to crash a later lesson?
Erm...um...yeah...

Offline vrtTopic starter

• Reputation Power: 40
  • vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.
  • Elitist Graphics Whore
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeBrawl #1 Winner - Team Nyan SharksSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeCard Art Competition 1st Place
Re: Lesson 5: Reboot https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=38550.msg487585#msg487585
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 02:25:11 am »
I'd love to try and get involved with this, even though the best art that I can do mostly consists of stick figures. (I'd do it mostly to see if I can improve myself, rather than think of them as viable card art...unless of course, "stick figure" becomes a card)

Unfortunately, I'm a bit busy now, as it's the end of my semester, which means finals. When I have more free time, would I be able to crash a later lesson?

Definitely.
So long and thanks for all the fish!

Offline Dandy

• Reputation Power: 3
  • Dandy is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Antlion used burrow! It's not very effective!
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 7th Birthday Cake
Re: Lesson 5: Reboot https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=38550.msg487616#msg487616
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 02:54:56 am »
Awesome! Thanks muchly! Can't wait to share my doodles with the elements community!
Erm...um...yeah...

Offline Drake_XIV

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 91
  • Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Powerful Harmony
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSummer and Winter Competition WinnerSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: Lesson 5: Reboot https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=38550.msg488149#msg488149
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 01:33:31 am »
Would it be fine if I submitted a sketch for one my ideas still in the Smithy instead?  Just an inquiry...

Offline vrtTopic starter

• vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.
  • Elitist Graphics Whore
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeBrawl #1 Winner - Team Nyan SharksSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeCard Art Competition 1st Place
Re: Lesson 5: Reboot https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=38550.msg488172#msg488172
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 02:32:16 am »
Would it be fine if I submitted a sketch for one my ideas still in the Smithy instead?  Just an inquiry...

Prefer not, but eh.

Offline Drake_XIV

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 91
  • Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Drake_XIV is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Powerful Harmony
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSummer and Winter Competition WinnerSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: Lesson 5: Reboot https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=38550.msg488906#msg488906
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2012, 10:20:58 am »

Prefer not, but eh.

Sorry about this then...

The idea I'm drawing for is: Twilit Tyrant | Twilit Tyrant.

I may have spent a lot of time looking at past art lessons though...

Spoiler for Sketch 001:

Mostly to just to figure the body positioning and whatnot.  Hopefully the limb lengths aren't too off...
Spoiler for Sketch 002:

Just fleshing out the body.  Scrapped the claymore for a giant axe.
Spoiler for Sketch 003:

Tried adding on armour.  Axe is being temporarily removed.  Can't help but feel something is off with the arms...
Spoiler for Sketch 004:

Attempted at toning the figure out.

Hopefully the end result will come out much darker, but I still feel I'm a good distance away from that...

Unfortunately, I'm stuck with sketching things out on gIMP with a mouse.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 10:22:35 am by Drake_XIV »

Offline Shrink

• Reputation Power: 15
  • Shrink is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Shrink is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Shrink is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • Awards: You are Our Only Hope WinnerSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: Lesson 5: Reboot https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=38550.msg489492#msg489492
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2012, 11:20:58 am »
Alright so I'm finally here >.>

I decided to use the card Wyvern | Elite Wyvern by Hyroen.
I chose this card to do some art because I liked the card itself. I wanted to give it art that presses further dimensions than the art it has now.
It would be nice at the end of this to have a visually impressive piece causing eyegasms everywhere.

Anyways...

Apologies for meh sketch, but I only had around 20 minutes to work:

Doctor Death

Offline The_Mormegil

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.
  • Intelligence is overrated.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWar #5 Winner - Team AetherTeam PvP WinnerNew Slot Winner - FamiliarDeadly Sin Winner - GluttonyFirst Budosei of BudokanWinner of Revive the Archive
Re: Lesson 5: Reboot https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=38550.msg489513#msg489513
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2012, 01:55:20 pm »
Hmmm... More skills is always welcome and learning to draw might help me in some projects. However. I have no scanner nor graphic tablet or anything. Is it a possibility to be able to draw decently directly on the PC, or as I always thought it is pretty much impossible to get any kind of results without using paper and pencil (or other similarly non-digital tools)?
[18:21:43] jmdt: elements is just math over top of a GUI
Kakerlake: I believe that there is no God as in something that can think by itself and does stuff that sounds way OP.

Offline agentflare

• Reputation Power: 10
  • agentflare is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.agentflare is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • New to Elements
  • Awards: Card Ideas In Action WinnerWar #4 Winner - Team Death
Re: Lesson 5: Reboot https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=38550.msg489522#msg489522
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2012, 02:29:38 pm »
Signing up.
*I suck at art*

Offline Jocko

• Reputation Power: 19
  • Jocko is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Jocko is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Jocko is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • New to Elements
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeWar #5 Winner - Team AetherSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeHoliday Fun Redux! Winner
Re: Lesson 5: Reboot https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=38550.msg489528#msg489528
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2012, 02:48:13 pm »
*placeholder 'till i get some time*

Offline vrtTopic starter

• Elitist Graphics Whore
Re: Lesson 5: Reboot https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=38550.msg489640#msg489640
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2012, 05:46:40 pm »

Prefer not, but eh.

Sorry about this then...

The idea I'm drawing for is: Twilit Tyrant | Twilit Tyrant.

I may have spent a lot of time looking at past art lessons though...

Spoiler for Sketch 001:

Mostly to just to figure the body positioning and whatnot.  Hopefully the limb lengths aren't too off...
Spoiler for Sketch 002:

Just fleshing out the body.  Scrapped the claymore for a giant axe.
Spoiler for Sketch 003:

Tried adding on armour.  Axe is being temporarily removed.  Can't help but feel something is off with the arms...
Spoiler for Sketch 004:

Attempted at toning the figure out.

Hopefully the end result will come out much darker, but I still feel I'm a good distance away from that...

Unfortunately, I'm stuck with sketching things out on gIMP with a mouse.

Try using a pencil and paper instead. I can tell very little from this about your work process, and what I can see is rather bland. Really try and focus on convincing a dynamic pose and a realistic anatomy.. also, no humans in Elements. ;)

Alright so I'm finally here >.>

I decided to use the card Wyvern | Elite Wyvern by Hyroen.
I chose this card to do some art because I liked the card itself. I wanted to give it art that presses further dimensions than the art it has now.
It would be nice at the end of this to have a visually impressive piece causing eyegasms everywhere.

Anyways...

Apologies for meh sketch, but I only had around 20 minutes to work:

Spoiler for Hidden:
[/img]
It's a good start, but I'd like to point out a few mistakes. The most striking one you'll want to look at is the perspective issues with his chest; it's angled as if it's on a different plane from the rest of his body. The wings don't make much sense to me; they look like they'd just be flappy streamers if he'd take flight. Finally, the size of the arms looks to be a little off. A challenge for your next sketch: Draw the wyvern as if it's taking flight just at the moment you 'snapped' it.

*placeholder 'till i get some time*
I won't go back through the topic, better to just make a post when you've got something. :)

Hmmm... More skills is always welcome and learning to draw might help me in some projects. However. I have no scanner nor graphic tablet or anything. Is it a possibility to be able to draw decently directly on the PC, or as I always thought it is pretty much impossible to get any kind of results without using paper and pencil (or other similarly non-digital tools)?

It's possible, but you'll waste half your life on any single piece. For the purpose of sketching, pencil and paper and a camera will do.

Offline The_Mormegil

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.
  • Intelligence is overrated.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWar #5 Winner - Team AetherTeam PvP WinnerNew Slot Winner - FamiliarDeadly Sin Winner - GluttonyFirst Budosei of BudokanWinner of Revive the Archive
Re: Lesson 5: Reboot https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=38550.msg489644#msg489644
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2012, 05:53:33 pm »
It's possible, but you'll waste half your life on any single piece. For the purpose of sketching, pencil and paper and a camera will do.
Camera! I do own a smartphone...
[18:21:43] jmdt: elements is just math over top of a GUI
Kakerlake: I believe that there is no God as in something that can think by itself and does stuff that sounds way OP.

blarg: