*Author

Offline ArtCrusade

• Reputation Power: 7
  • ArtCrusade is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Join the ArtCrusade!
Re: Lesson 4: Using a Reference https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=20401.msg277134#msg277134
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 05:20:18 pm »
I based this one off the crocodile. It's a dragon who's spitting fire. I didn't finish it yet, because I'm not entirely sure about the proportions..

My art:         deviantArt
My poetry:    Writing.com

wizelsnarf

Re: Lesson 4: Using a Reference https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=20401.msg278144#msg278144
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 03:12:02 am »
I know this area is getting no love recently and I am certainly part of the blame.

I have been busy with masterdom, applying to schools etc but I have more free time at the moment and am working on my finished crocodile. It is coming along nicely but I still expect another hour or 2 to completion. Thought I would post what I have currently just because.

I plan to:

-Finish the back and tail
-Add teeth
-Detail it again/more/touchup
-Colorize

wizelsnarf

Re: Lesson 4: Using a Reference https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=20401.msg279340#msg279340
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 01:57:35 am »
I kind of just wanted to finish so I didn't do a ton of detailing. I can see vrt writing "for god's sake, clean up the edges" or some such comment and I know that it is a bit blurry and unclean in places. Also, it turned out looking rather cute - more like a baby croc than an adult. That was not intentional (though I don't mind.) I think I made the body too short and the head too big thus giving it comical baby animal proportions... Not perfect, but I wanted to make some defitinitive progress since I have been so slow (and what happened to everyone else?!)

Anyhow I am pleased with the crocodile, but then I went to give it a background or some context and realized I had no clue what I was doing. Any tips on how to make an appropriate background would be helpful - the creature is drawn as though it is floating in water. I made up a quick partial background but it doesn't look that great.

vrt, pepokish, advice on backgrounds?

PS how is the light? The light source is supposed to be from the front, top and left - your left ear maybe - though it is pretty soft and diffuse.

Croc:

Croc in some light water:

Offline ArtCrusade

• Reputation Power: 7
  • ArtCrusade is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Join the ArtCrusade!
Re: Lesson 4: Using a Reference https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=20401.msg282983#msg282983
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2011, 10:03:07 am »
I wonder how this class can be useful if you have to wait 2 weeks until you get a reply. I understand that you are busy, but the point remains..

EDIT: The fact that noone replied to this post for almost a week says enough.. :-X
My art:         deviantArt
My poetry:    Writing.com

wizelsnarf

Re: Lesson 4: Using a Reference https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=20401.msg286001#msg286001
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 06:19:55 am »
I am waiting too :(

Most of the people who started in the first few threads have fallen off leaving just a couple of us. I think pepokish is in a real life phase and vrt has barely anytime to comment.

I hope this is not about to become a graveyard.

Offline bored_ninja777

• Reputation Power: 13
  • bored_ninja777 is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.bored_ninja777 is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
Re: Lesson 4: Using a Reference https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=20401.msg286323#msg286323
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 07:21:03 pm »
i wish i had time... i am either working or doing other things.. today is my only day off until sunday again.. and i just dont have the time right now to attempt to draw something for nile crocodile.. i know i can draw from an image.. im almost a human copy machine sometimes..  so missing this one isnt hurting me too much.. but i wish i could do more.. and drawing with a mouse or touchpad i still cant do for shit.. so im stuck using paper and pencil
~McPasty was here~

Offline vrt

• Reputation Power: 40
  • vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.
  • Elitist Graphics Whore
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeBrawl #1 Winner - Team Nyan SharksSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeCard Art Competition 1st Place
Re: Lesson 4: Using a Reference https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=20401.msg286462#msg286462
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 10:36:18 pm »
I'm really sorry for the delays that the Art Class got, folks, but I've got a lot on my plate currently. I'll try and squeeze in a small round of comments and paintovers tomorrow.
So long and thanks for all the fish!

Offline Krava

• Reputation Power: 5
  • Krava is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • New to Elements
Re: Lesson 4: Using a Reference https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=20401.msg286863#msg286863
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 10:23:16 am »
I am also fine with slower pace as i have very little time to paint too. So no hurry, we will get there :)

Offline vrt

• Reputation Power: 40
  • vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.
  • Elitist Graphics Whore
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeBrawl #1 Winner - Team Nyan SharksSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeCard Art Competition 1st Place
Re: Lesson 4: Using a Reference https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=20401.msg286947#msg286947
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011, 03:28:29 pm »
There we go!

First of all; I applaud you, Krava and ArtCrusade, for trying to put this lesson into practice and developing on an idea of your own using the reference. I cannot stress enough, however, that it's crucial to understand the basics of what you're painting. By understanding the underlying logic (why is this leg here? How does this neck look rotated?), you gain far more than by simply trying to apply a first glance of a subject to your ideas. Knowledge, in art, is 60% of your skill.

Krava: The main issue I see here, is the neck. It goes from very fat, to very thin in way too little space. In my paintover, I tried to show you the skeleton, and what a stretched out crocodile frame would logically look like beside it. I also think the colours, light and contrast weren't quite up to par, but I have a distinct feeling you were onto that one yourself. If not, please tell me - I'll explain as best I can!

ArtCrusade: The biggest flaw I saw in this one, was the anatomy of the legs. The entire skeleton seems a bit mismatched right now, but the legs stand out the most. In their current pose, they shouldn't be capable of bearing the weight of this creature, and most certainly, they can't attach to any major attachment point (such as a shoulderblade). Have a look at a crocodile skeleton, and I think you'll see my point. In my alternative skelton sketch, I left out the horns, but do keep in mind that typically, you'll want the horns to flow from the skeleton - all they are is bone, after all. Triceratops or Stegosaurus skeletons should be a great reference for how these attach.

wizelsnarf: Hope you don't mind this paintover; pepokish mentioned it might look a bit rude. However, I accented the two most strikingly off parts of your piece. First and foremost: The perspective on the crocodile (red grid) and the water (green grid) don't match up. Perspective flaws are the ones the human eye can most easily make out, so be very careful with things like these. Second; you've probably noticed the yellow lines and 'suns'. These are where I must assume your light is coming from, based on the shadows and highlights of the croc. Try and keep a consistent light; even if your reference was lit from a million angles. Try and understand the bone structure and texture, so that you can show that from a different lighting angle.

There we go, all done. If I missed something (or god forbid, someone!), don't hesitate to poke me!
So long and thanks for all the fish!

Offline Krava

• Reputation Power: 5
  • Krava is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • New to Elements
Re: Lesson 4: Using a Reference https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=20401.msg287036#msg287036
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 07:32:29 pm »
ok, nice!

In that light i made (quick) painting of croc and now i understand although he looks like crocodile, he misses that something in concept that will make him more "crocodile like". Some aspect, pose or something. Should spend more time on concept...

ok, reference, valuable... should look at crocks more if i intend to paint one better. i think i didnt get how his head really looks on top...

Flayne

Re: Lesson 4: Using a Reference https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=20401.msg314671#msg314671
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2011, 12:45:55 pm »
sorry for interrupting but Why is this thread so inactive all of a sudden?

Offline Kuroaitou

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 82
  • Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeMaster of Mafia10th Trials - Master of TimeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSilver DonorSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Lesson 4: Using a Reference https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=20401.msg314837#msg314837
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2011, 05:20:53 pm »
sorry for interrupting but Why is this thread so inactive all of a sudden?
vrt and pepokish are very busy with their real lives, unfortunately. Hopefully if they do come back, this project can be restarted again with a 5th lesson and whatnot. :)

anything
blarg: