*Author

Malduk

Re: Lesson 3: Back to Basics https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=18798.msg243165#msg243165
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2011, 04:53:22 pm »

I have to say this one was hard for me to draw, as I made tons of mistakes while drawing it. Had to erase several times due to bad proportions, and skeleton didnt help either. Main problem is that I didnt have a model to look at while drawing, and I guess I'm still not that comfortable with drawing anatomy in whatever pose from my head.
The problem I have with skeleton is that with lines and circles, proportions look good to me, until I start adding muscle groups. I dont know if I'm missing something, or I just need more practice. I actually finished this by doing fast skeleton-sketch that looked terrible, and then doing it again, by looking at mistakes I did in the first try. Fixing mistakes would be so much easier by using photoshop, than it is on the paper.
Anyway, one thing I didnt fix in this sketch is its left leg. That one should be "bigger" as its more towards to viewer. The way I drew it, it looks like its more to the back (I dont know how to explain this better lol).
Also, I guess I'm just bad at drawing heads, especially details on the head.

Malduk

Re: Lesson 3: Back to Basics https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=18798.msg243995#msg243995
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2011, 05:47:13 pm »
Been having fun practicing drawing anatomy without looking at the model, and figured might as well post it.

Offline vrtTopic starter

• Reputation Power: 40
  • vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.
  • Elitist Graphics Whore
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeBrawl #1 Winner - Team Nyan SharksSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeCard Art Competition 1st Place
Re: Lesson 3: Back to Basics https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=18798.msg244134#msg244134
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2011, 09:15:22 pm »
Please do not post another sketch before receiving a reply to your earlier one. We will try to be right on top of this thread, don't rush these!
Really, people.

I'd love to have replied to all of you right now, but an unfortunate accident has caused my mother to be hospitalized with multiple fractures in her spine.. I  simply don't have the time right now. I hope you all can be patient.
So long and thanks for all the fish!

Offline ArtCrusade

• Reputation Power: 7
  • ArtCrusade is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Join the ArtCrusade!
Re: Lesson 3: Back to Basics https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=18798.msg244151#msg244151
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2011, 09:42:12 pm »
Oh my, my best wishes and good luck there :-X
My art:         deviantArt
My poetry:    Writing.com

Offline Tiko

• Reputation Power: 16
  • Tiko is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Tiko is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Tiko is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • Blessed is the mind too small for doubts..
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeCreator of Architon, False God of the RenaissanceSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake4th Trials - Master of WaterWeekly Tournament WinnerWinner of the Song of the Elders CompWinner of the Mythology Card Comp
Re: Lesson 3: Back to Basics https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=18798.msg244152#msg244152
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 09:42:45 pm »
May she have a quick recovery; and a lot of strength for you!
:water   "..It is in this domain that the living suffer great extremes, it is here that the water-failures, driven to desperation, make start in a new element.
It is here that strange compromises are made and new senses are born."

SunnyGreens

Re: Lesson 3: Back to Basics https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=18798.msg244224#msg244224
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2011, 11:38:49 pm »
Sorry, was trying to keep my momentum going. I removed the extra posts. Hope all goes well with your mother.

Offline RavingRabbid

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 85
  • RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Lord Seagull
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeDeckbuilding Competition: The Face of Mother NatureSlice of Elements 6th Birthday Cake7th Trials - Master of WaterWinner of Warrior's Preparation - PvP Event14 Club - Most Expensive Players during War AuctionWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeTeam PVP #1 Winner5th Trials - Master of Water3rd Trials - Master of WaterChampionship League 3/2011 WinnerWinner of 2nd Off-Topic Quiz LeagueWinner of 2nd Element Quiz LeagueWinner of 1st Off-Topic Quiz LeagueWinner of 1st Element Quiz LeagueChampionship League 2/2011 WinnerSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake3-Man Team PvP #1 Winner
Re: Lesson 3: Back to Basics https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=18798.msg245377#msg245377
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2011, 08:55:23 pm »

I can't really describe what it is.
There are things worse than eating tuna directly from the tin

Malduk

Re: Lesson 3: Back to Basics https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=18798.msg245927#msg245927
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2011, 02:44:18 pm »
Really sorry to hear that vrt. :( Hope it all goes well.

wizelsnarf

Re: Lesson 3: Back to Basics https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=18798.msg246099#msg246099
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2011, 07:55:39 pm »
vrt, Sounds really scary. Sorry man, I wish for your mother to get well soon.

I drew this one quick. Somehow I spent like 7 minutes doing a speed paint version before I realized that wasn't the point of this lesson.

The brush I used was kind of lame looking but I think anatomically speaking it came out alright. I didn't erase so there was some overlap (around the butt legs and tail especially.

Flaws I can identify:

-The torso isn't correct. It gets too narrow at the bottom and isn't in the same plane as the shoulders.
-The calves don't look right. They are too beefy and not sculpted enough.
-The body is twisted slightly from the seating, the shoulders aren't in the same plane as the knees
-Again I managed to sketch a bad "read" I thought it would be cool to put the hand spikes crossing each other but it came out looking bad. It is hard to tell what they are because of the position I chose.

Offline Glitch

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 65
  • Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.
  • Awards: 1st Trials - Master of LifeElements Short Story Competition WinnerPoetry in the Spirit of Elements
Re: Lesson 3: Back to Basics https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=18798.msg248591#msg248591
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2011, 11:17:19 pm »

I wanted it to look haunched over and snarling, as though it was approaching a foe smaller than it that had been backed into a corner.

A few mistakes I noticed:  The shoulders are in the wrong spot, and the whole mid-section is just... wrong.  It looks snakelike.  I tried to hide that by adding spikes to the back and gills/abs/things that don't look like anything but add detail.  I spent a lot of time on the face.  I wanted it to look like it had both a beak and a place for the beak to go, which is good.

Seems pretty good, considering A) it's the first time I've ever used a skeleton, and B) as with all my work, it's done using the touch pad.  In retrospect, adding a little bit of drool to it, or maybe fixing it's nose, would have been better.  Still, it's better than I thought it would turn out, especially since it was so sloppy.  It reads... okay... ish.

Offline ArtCrusade

• Reputation Power: 7
  • ArtCrusade is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Join the ArtCrusade!
Re: Lesson 3: Back to Basics https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=18798.msg248977#msg248977
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2011, 11:17:52 am »

Time was running out (my goal for a sketch is 15min) so I decided to stop working and just post it. I directly noticed several flaws, including the stretched leg which looks really bad and the claws which I just cannot make look good. I just added some values to define its shape.
My art:         deviantArt
My poetry:    Writing.com

Offline vrtTopic starter

• Reputation Power: 40
  • vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.
  • Elitist Graphics Whore
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeBrawl #1 Winner - Team Nyan SharksSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeCard Art Competition 1st Place
Re: Lesson 3: Back to Basics https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=18798.msg249327#msg249327
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2011, 08:28:08 pm »
ratcharmer: Good sketch; I can only advise you to draw the muscles out a bit more. The better the definition on them, the more believable they get!

SunnyGreens: Sketch is okay (your second one was better); the main problems seems to be that he's stuck between two perspectives, but the lack of definition on the chest might be the culprit there. :)

bored_ninja777: Try and add the muscles after you have the skeleton, make the lines flow more, and try to get a more organic look. This will increase the quality of the final image tenfold. I'll show you what I mean; I took your image and used it as a base for a quick outline.

Krahhl: The same issue as with your first sketch, and that's a shame. While the proportions have improved a lot, you need to start drawing more loosely; stay away from the straight lines and give him a more natural flow. I tried to show you in a paintover:

Malduk: Excellent sketches. I'd strongly recommend you (and anyone else) to keep practising, even without assignments. As you can see; you only get better! :)

RavingRabbid: The main issue here, is the lack of shape. Try and build up from a skeleton (in fact; I'd like to see a separate image of that skeleton for the next sketch), and define the muscles a bit more. Try to show where and how they connect, and how they work with the body. Right now, I really just see a big 'O' with limbs stuck on.

wizelsnarf: I have nothing to add to your summary. To try and improve it, perhaps try and use shorter lines; between 3 quick strokes, you often get a better medium than one big one. This gives you more room to 'fix' a line up quickly, too.

Gl1tch: First and foremost; http://www.splashup.com/ will give you much better possibilities and quality. Since it's free and easily accessible, there's really no excuse to still use MSPaint. If the touchpad is too big a handicap; try going with pencil and paper. Aside from that; you're correct about your self-critiques, and have indeed identified the problem area's. While it seems to worked from the skeleton, you didn't add the muscle groups before really detailing him. That's just a guess, though; but I think especially the midsection makes it show. In the paintover, I tried to show you the difference between lines painted on, and a clear shape to the torso- hopefully it's helpful. :)

ArtCrusade: The assignment is 30 minutes, not 15. Try and use the extra 15 minutes to go back to your image, flip it horizontally, and fix it up. Pay extra attention to the connection between muscle groups, they seem a bit 'stuck on' as it is, making him look as if he's static; there's no weight or movement to him.

Class is extended for another week due to the unforeseen delay.
So long and thanks for all the fish!

blarg: