*Author

Malduk

Re: Lesson 2: Getting Started https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17823.msg230607#msg230607
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2010, 01:52:34 am »
And here's my scythe girl with a hood.  :)

Offline Glitch

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 65
  • Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.
  • Awards: 1st Trials - Master of LifeElements Short Story Competition WinnerPoetry in the Spirit of Elements
Re: Lesson 2: Getting Started https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17823.msg230610#msg230610
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2010, 02:02:03 am »
NOoooo!!!

I had just finished my robot astronaut boxing dude when photoshop crashed!

(You probably think I'm joking ='C  Rest in peace, robot astronaut boxer)

Malduk

Re: Lesson 2: Getting Started https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17823.msg230648#msg230648
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2010, 03:01:30 am »
Hah, I thought my Paintshop skillz are a tad bit better. Painting with a mouse is a source of all kind of frustration, so scythe is unfinished (seriously, how do you make largish precise lines with a mouse?).
Other than that, I'm happy with digital version of my hooded girl :)

wizelsnarf

Re: Lesson 2: Getting Started https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17823.msg230707#msg230707
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2010, 04:03:04 am »
I tried again to do a lineart sketch with a skeleton. The final product looks like I took way too much speed or something as it is shaky but that is a mouse problem. I did it more as an exercise to use a skeleton.

Next up is speedpainting, should I speed paint a skeleton and then speedpaint over that? Or just skip the skeleton in the speedpaint version?

Skeleton

Top layer:

Both layers:

hmm just noticed I forgot about the left arm. Oh well I think I will just move on to the speed paint type of sketching.

Offline icecoldbro

• Reputation Power: 0
  • icecoldbro hides under a Cloak.
  • S
Re: Lesson 2: Getting Started https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17823.msg230719#msg230719
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2010, 04:13:03 am »
im not good at drawing but ill try anything to improve
(http://imageplay.net/view/m7Gbd112858/PIC_0171)ill see what i can do with photoshop later

Offline vrtTopic starter

• Reputation Power: 40
  • vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.
  • Elitist Graphics Whore
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeBrawl #1 Winner - Team Nyan SharksSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeCard Art Competition 1st Place
Re: Lesson 2: Getting Started https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17823.msg230859#msg230859
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2010, 12:46:10 pm »
ArtCrusade: That's a much better sketch. The suggestion of texture is excellent; try to incorporate more depth through overlap/perspective in the next one, though!

Malduk: I'm glad I got you back to the paper! As for pen tablets, you know my recommendations. To the sketches, then. The first sketch shows a fairly huge flaw; you focused way too much on the scythe, while the figure should've really deserved some more attention. The anatomy is also slightly skewy in both sketches; I think it could help you a lot to start with a skeleton or frame. The value sketch is a good start, but I'd try and pay a bit more attention to where the light source is.

Gl1tch: The first sketch never is the best one, anyway. Keep going! Frustrating as it can be, doing the same thing twice will only make you better at it.

Wizelsnarf: Glad to see you followed the skeleton advice; there's already a much better sense of volume and proportion to the little guy! A quick linesketch for the skeleton would definitely help achieve a better value sketch, too - go for it!

icecoldbro: This class isn't about showing off, it's for learning. What I see in your current sketch, is that you need more blank paper. You also need to work on your time; you seem to try and cram detail in everywhere. Use suggestion; a few quick lines can easily make it look like he's wearing complex boots. This leaves you with more time to go back to the area's that should grab a viewer's attention, such as the chest and head in your piece. I'm looking forward to the next sketch!

So long and thanks for all the fish!

Offline RavingRabbid

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 85
  • RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.RavingRabbid is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Lord Seagull
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeDeckbuilding Competition: The Face of Mother NatureSlice of Elements 6th Birthday Cake7th Trials - Master of WaterWinner of Warrior's Preparation - PvP Event14 Club - Most Expensive Players during War AuctionWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeTeam PVP #1 Winner5th Trials - Master of Water3rd Trials - Master of WaterChampionship League 3/2011 WinnerWinner of 2nd Off-Topic Quiz LeagueWinner of 2nd Element Quiz LeagueWinner of 1st Off-Topic Quiz LeagueWinner of 1st Element Quiz LeagueChampionship League 2/2011 WinnerSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake3-Man Team PvP #1 Winner
Re: Lesson 2: Getting Started https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17823.msg230924#msg230924
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2010, 03:44:10 pm »

Gah, second sketch.

I drew it facing right, instead of left. I also tried giving it more depth, and took out the "hand" part at the end of the wing. Instead, I gave him a proper pair of arms (the second is concealed by the first and by some sort of spell that the sketch is casting.)
I used colors, which is how I imagined that to be, (except the arms, that are also black).

Also, I used no shadowing, and tried to give him depth by shape and perspective.

I don't like him too much
There are things worse than eating tuna directly from the tin

Offline Glitch

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 65
  • Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.
  • Awards: 1st Trials - Master of LifeElements Short Story Competition WinnerPoetry in the Spirit of Elements
Re: Lesson 2: Getting Started https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17823.msg230950#msg230950
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2010, 05:16:01 pm »

Robot space astronaut boxer!!!

One of the things I'd like to do is get into more detail with the joints between limbs, like they're made using overlapping plates, but I couldn't figure out how to make thinner more detailed lines without creating a sharp contrast between them and the rest of the work (oooo I sound artsy!)  I would have loved to make him have a breast plate... and maybe something cool like hydraulics, but I decided to stop here while I was ahead.  I might go back and do more work on it, this one was fun to draw.

Offline Krava

• Reputation Power: 5
  • Krava is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • New to Elements
Re: Lesson 2: Getting Started https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17823.msg231016#msg231016
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2010, 08:12:21 pm »
Ok, I made it with MOUSE!!

and i think i could play with him for ages... improving little details, but i had to stop somewhere so this is it

Armored humanoid rhino with crystal horn and in action pose now! Like charging or bringing the door down...
SKETCH #3:

Offline pepokish

• Reputation Power: 6
  • pepokish is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Honorary Team Life Member! <3
  • Awards: Real Life Elementalist
Re: Lesson 2: Getting Started https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17823.msg231026#msg231026
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2010, 08:35:25 pm »
RavingRabbid - Hey, I can tell you really took my advice!  :D  The face looks a lot better now, a lot less flat and 2-d.  Great job with that!  C:

My suggestion is to really try and experiment with different angles!  Try different poses and points-of-view.  Rather than simply holding his arms at his sides, what if he was getting ready to cast that fireball-spell-thing (cranking his arm back like a baseball pitcher)?  What if he was summoning it from the sky or ground?  Etc...?  And don't be afraid to turn him further toward or away from the camera, either. 

I'd also like to suggest maybe giving him a more complex body shape, and working from the skeleton up.  There's nothing wrong with this creature design at all -- but in the context of this lesson, I'd love to see you stretch your limits a bit more and try a more complex figure. 

Anyway, keep up the hard work!  C:  Great job, RR.

--

Gl1tch - And the robot space boxer lives on!  :D

More detail is definitely okay, in this case.  It seems that with this lesson, it's difficult to find a balance between too much detail and too little.  And that's just not really somehing we can teach you, it's something you have to feel out for yourself.  Obviously, you can't skip ahead and start detailing every little thing before you even have the basic foundations properly set, but at the same time giving too little detail to an image can be equally as detrimental for a piece.  But I think I'm preaching to the choir -- you already mentioned more detail here and in chat, so I know you've got it.  :P

I think the problem you're having with the details is that you used such a soft brush.  Now if you go in and make little details, it's going to look really odd because the rest of your character looks blurry and out of focus.  It's okay to use hard-edged brushes even for the big basic strokes.  You can blend everything in and make it look nice and smooth later.  (:

Very nice with the highlights, though... I like that you didn't put the highlights right on the edge, which is a big mistake a lot of people make, as it makes things look just flat.  I also like that you picked a clear light source (left side) and stuck to it.  Impressive!  C:

Well done, Gl1tch! 
And RIP robot space astronaut boxer #1.

--

Krava - I have to say... I'm really impressed!  This is a really excellent speedpaint, especially with a mouse.  I don't really have much to critique, in regards to the actual speedpaint itself.  You did a really great job.  (:

Now, I do want to say something about the painting itself, since the speedpaint looks spot-on.  Be careful about balance in your image -- right now, your creature looks like he might fall over to the left a bit.  Do you know about 'center of balance' and things like that?  I can give a quick run-down on it, if need be.  Otherwise, it looks like it's probably just a matter of making sure you flip the canvas now and then (just like holding a traditional drawing up to a mirror) to try and catch those asymmetrical errors and correct them as needed.

Again, excellent job!

PS - vrt says, don't crop at the knees!  :P  It can create a sense of real discomfort and awkwardness to the viewer, and you should especially avoid cropping at any joint points of the body (i.e. knees, elbows, ankles...).  That's something we'll cover later on with our 'compositioning' lesson.

Offline ratcharmer

• Reputation Power: 10
  • ratcharmer is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.ratcharmer is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • I'm back, it's been a while.
Re: Lesson 2: Getting Started https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17823.msg231217#msg231217
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2010, 03:05:04 am »
sketch 1:
(http://imageplay.net/view/m7Gbd113204/Maiden001)
sketch 2:
(http://imageplay.net/view/m7Gbd113205/Maiden002)
I went for a sort of traditional, vaguely anorexic maiden, both of these are ink sketches, I'll try a speedpaint once I can get my hands on a mouse.

The first one I'm pretty happy with, although the pose is pretty boring (basically right out of an anatomy text book . . .), and I think her head is too small.

For the second, I think I got over ambitious with putting the mirror in. It makes the image a bit confusing, especially since parts of the girl are transparent (I drew them in after drawing what was behind them).

Malduk

Re: Lesson 2: Getting Started https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17823.msg231752#msg231752
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2010, 10:42:17 pm »
Well, my first sketch was a disaster; it was the first one after years. So I gave it another shot now. This time fully dressed  :))

Taking a centered photo of it, with a good light, is another pain. This is as good as it gets I'm afraid.

About the sketch: I was contemplating adding wings, to make an "angel of death" or something; an image that would maybe be usable in Elements too, after some work on it. I decided not to do that now; its getting late and I'm off to a vacation, so this is the last sketch in art class from me in this year.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year guys. :)

Oh, and just because I already wasted some time on it, might as well post it:

Not finished, cloth lines just refused to look like I wanted them to look, so meh. Maybe when I get more time. It looks way to plastic atm.

anything
blarg: